Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

That "Hough institute" who wanted donate on their breaktrough hearing restore project without any futher explain (i wrote question in their article and they deleted it), they have some news about their hearing loss pill moving to stage 2 fda approval, and again they are asking for donate :) If this pill will works they will be super rich, they dont need donate in stage 2. I think its just scam.
http://houghear.org/noise-induced-hearing-loss-pill-update-infographic/

That "Hough institute" who wanted donate on their breaktrough hearing restore project without any futher explain (i wrote question in their article and they deleted it), they have some news about their hearing loss pill moving to stage 2 fda approval, and again they are asking for donate :) If this pill will works they will be super rich, they dont need donate in stage 2. I think its just scam.

All their publications are on antioxidants using animals. Sounds like utter crap.

wow, what did you write? I don't think this institute is scam, but they way they look for funding
is really special...

I think everyone knows that just introduction of the ATOH1 gene doesnt bring back your hearing completely. Even Novartis has said something like this might take you from profound to moderate loss. Basically this is the next step to see if it works on humans and how it might affect them. Right now we have nothing so even a small gain would be welcome and with hopes that this leads to something better. I dont think human trials are pre-mature as stated in the article because we have to start somewhere and putting this off for another 10 years wont help us get there any sooner. As long as there are people willing to risk it, which there are lots, then I believe we should continue down this path. If the people now see a 10db gain which is nothing, to someone who has lost 80 db, going back to 70 would be welcome. If rewriting the genes helps to prevent further loss, then that in itself might worth it.
I would like to see a cure in my lifetime, but I dont think thats possible until we start applying some of these strategies to humans so we can compare them to the animal models. I for one appreciate the work Novartis is doing.

I think everyone knows that just introduction of the ATOH1 gene doesnt bring back your hearing completely. Even Novartis has said something like this might take you from profound to moderate loss. Basically this is the next step to see if it works on humans and how it might affect them. Right now we have nothing so even a small gain would be welcome and with hopes that this leads to something better. I dont think human trials are pre-mature as stated in the article because we have to start somewhere and putting this off for another 10 years wont help us get there any sooner. As long as there are people willing to risk it, which there are lots, then I believe we should continue down this path. If the people now see a 10db gain which is nothing, to someone who has lost 80 db, going back to 70 would be welcome. If rewriting the genes helps to prevent further loss, then that in itself might worth it.
I would like to see a cure in my lifetime, but I dont think thats possible until we start applying some of these strategies to humans so we can compare them to the animal models. I for one appreciate the work Novartis is doing.
Absolutly true agree what you said!
I also guess that Novartis is doing further research on optimize hair cell regeneration. I read that they invested 500 000 000 Dollars in Atoh1 research
And yes, if we could get 10 - 20 db hearing back with a natural solution, it would be awesome.
Let's hope the trial gives those people some useful hearing back.

Interesting study. This is the first instance I'm aware of where scientists have been able to actually watch the growth of these type of cells. http://hearinghealthfoundation.org/blog?blogid=152. As always, would love to hearing the more science inclined members thoughts on this.
I find particularly interesting the fact that supporting cells, after turning into new hair cells are also fully replaced! Which means that hair cell regeneration happens indefinitely and the fish never runs out of supporting cells no matter how many times it looses functioning hair cells.
Quite a finding! If they manage to apply such a gene therapy in humans it would mean one can never go deaf no matter how many times he kills his/her hair cells in the future!

I find particularly interesting the fact that supporting cells, after turning into new hair cells are also fully replaced! Which means that hair cell regeneration happens indefinitely and the fish never runs out of supporting cells no matter how many times it looses functioning hair cells.

If I recall correctly, GenVec's currently technology does not regenerate supporting cells after differentiation. So after they're used up you've got nothing left to work with.

If I recall correctly, GenVec's currently technology does not regenerate supporting cells after differentiation. So after they're used up you've got nothing left to work with.
I hope that is not true. It would be a shame to use up all your supporting cells and when (if ever) an new improved therapy comes out which brings total cure you a re out of supporting cells...
Do we know when Genvec will post any results yet? They have already tried the therapy in many people.

Nice article, but key sentece "360 million people worldwide who suffer disabling hearing loss rely on imperfect devices in order to hear" 360.000.000 x 5.000 USD per hearing device. Count it, regenerating hair cells will destroy that bussines, will they allow that?
Do you think that hearing aid companies are literally a cartoon cartel who use their vast (not actually vast) profit margins to control independent research being done at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars by external (and equally profit-driven) companies and universities?

How does this vast, evil cabal function?

"Will they allow that" implies that they have a choice in the matter. I do not think this is likely to be the case. History is full of (failed) organizations that tried to stand in the way of the grind towards future progress.

Nice article, but key sentece "360 million people worldwide who suffer disabling hearing loss rely on imperfect devices in order to hear" 360.000.000 x 5.000 USD per hearing device. Count it, regenerating hair cells will destroy that bussines, will they allow that?

It's not the hearing aid industry avoiding the big pharmas developing drugs, they are nobody compared
to Novartis or any other bigger company. It's a kind of conspiracy.
It will take time until we get some useful protective or regenerative therapies, but the field is moving.

Do you think that hearing aid companies are literally a cartoon cartel who use their vast (not actually vast) profit margins to control independent research being done at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars by external (and equally profit-driven) companies and universities?

How does this vast, evil cabal function?

"Will they allow that" implies that they have a choice in the matter. I do not think this is likely to be the case. History is full of (failed) organizations that tried to stand in the way of the grind towards future progress.
U say that hearing adds companies do not have big profits? One Oticon hearing add costs from 3.000 to 4.000 USD, pair is average 5-6.000 dollars for 20 grams of plastic. U think that profit of those 6.000 is 2 or 5%...u are wrong then. They have huge profits. What they do with it, I do not know, i hope they do not invest is slowing researchs in the field of hearing regeneration. But in economic way of thinking if regeneration becomes a possible at the same moment they will be almost useless at the market, that is a fact.

"Will they allow that" means that I am not sure are they investing in that kind of stuff, slowing regeneration progress etc (I hope not)

It's not the hearing aid industry avoiding the big pharmas developing drugs, they are nobody compared
to Novartis or any other bigger company. It's a kind of conspiracy.
It will take time until we get some useful protective or regenerative therapies, but the field is moving.

...But We live in money, profit World, so everything is possible, it is not conspiracy, it is just economic thinking, 360.000.000 hearing adds x 3.000 USD is 1.000.000.000.0000 USD!
that is 20 years of Novartis (yearly) income, that u mentioned.

U say that hearing adds companies do not have big profits? One Oticon hearing add costs from 3.000 to 4.000 USD, pair is average 5-6.000 dollars for 20 grams of plastic. U think that profit of those 6.000 is 2 or 5%...u are wrong then. They have huge profits. What they do with it, I do not know, i hope they do not invest is slowing researchs in the field of hearing regeneration. But in economic way of thinking if regeneration becomes a possible at the same moment they will be almost useless at the market, that is a fact.

I'm saying that the amount of money that they have is pissing in the wind compared to the amount of money being funneled into all sorts of research by other companies -- and if you sniff around heavily enough I bet you will find conglomerates which are invested in hearing aid tech at the moment, and also investing in future tech. But, yes, this is a disruptive technology which is therefore probably being opposed at some level by entrenched interests.

The odds of regenerative therapies completely replacing hearing aids in the near future seem pretty low, but they are literally already doing human trials of hair cell regeneration using synthetic viruses injected intra-tympanically, so, the stuff is coming. It may already be here.

...But We live in money, profit World, so everything is possible, it is not conspiracy, it is just economic thinking, 360.000.000 hearing adds x 3.000 USD is 1.000.000.000.0000 USD!
that is 20 years of Novartis (yearly) income, that u mentioned.
This would imply that hearing aids are a trillion dollar industry; in fact, it's more like an 8 billion dollar industry globally.

Which is to say, a single pharmaceutical company (Novartis, again) is nearly the same size as the entire global hearing aid industry.

I'm saying that the amount of money that they have is pissing in the wind compared to the amount of money being funneled into all sorts of research by other companies -- and if you sniff around heavily enough I bet you will find conglomerates which are invested in hearing aid tech at the moment, and also investing in future tech. But, yes, this is a disruptive technology which is therefore probably being opposed at some level by entrenched interests.

The odds of regenerative therapies completely replacing hearing aids in the near future seem pretty low, but they are literally already doing human trials of hair cell regeneration using synthetic viruses injected intra-tympanically, so, the stuff is coming. It may already be here.

Have u seen this https://www.corcell.com/blog/could-cord-blood-stem-cells-offer-a-cure-for-deafness/. I have googled., but after this in 2012 no one ever said what is going on with young Madeline and her hearing. And in 2012 internet was full about that her case with her, there are numerous sites that are about her but only in 2012.

No single story what is with her now at the age of 5, and 10 other kids that had same hearing regeneration treatment in 2012. Not conspiracy, just wondering...

Have u seen this https://www.corcell.com/blog/could-cord-blood-stem-cells-offer-a-cure-for-deafness/. I have googled., but after this in 2012 no one ever said what is going on with young Madeline and her hearing. And in 2012 internet was full about that her case with her, there are numerous sites that are about her but only in 2012.

No single story what is with her now at the age of 5, and 10 other kids that had same hearing regeneration treatment in 2012. Not conspiracy, just wondering...
Usually when research studies just disappear, it means:
* it didn't actually pan out or work that well
or
* it's still under active R&D.

Note that in the case of the particular therapy used in this trial, they used umbilical stem cells, which means that those had been retained and frozen for the subjects in the trial. EG, this would only be an option for people with particular kinds of deafness who also have a cryogenic freezer with their umbilical cord in it. It's fascinating, and maybe at some point it will be commonplace to retain such cells for all people born in industrialized countries, but this doesn't seem like a great avenue of research for all the people who have hearing problems already.

Usually when research studies just disappear, it means:
* it didn't actually pan out or work that well
or
* it's still under active R&D.

Note that in the case of the particular therapy used in this trial, they used umbilical stem cells, which means that those had been retained and frozen for the subjects in the trial. EG, this would only be an option for people with particular kinds of deafness who also have a cryogenic freezer with their umbilical cord in it. It's fascinating, and maybe at some point it will be commonplace to retain such cells for all people born in industrialized countries, but this doesn't seem like a great avenue of research for all the people who have hearing problems already.

Well this was study on real people, babies. So there has to be public result of it after 3 years, god or bad one, but just it has. So still strange to me..

About cell from umbilical cord, freezing those cells, really great thing, something that will become "must done" when u got a baby, or already is in developed countries. But there is also one more very important part of steam cells story, placenta stem cells, they are very rich with stem cells with great level of regeneration of tissue, body cells etc, and it can be used not only from a person which placenta was. So that could be great avenue of research for all the people who have hearing problems already.

I thought this was an article about growing an actual ear when it came across my feed, but it's about growing inner ear hair cells in a dish.

http://news.iu.edu/releases/2015/09/Ear-in-a-dish-IU-startup-auricyte-innovation-showcase.shtml

"If drug or gene-based regenerative therapies for hearing loss are shown to be successful, they could fundamentally change how hearing loss is treated. Hearing aids and cochlear implants would become archaic, if not obsolete."

That was what I was takling abt, and this fact " about 5 percent of the world's population, or 360 million people, is affected by hearing loss. WHO projects that number to exceed 900 million by 2025."

Big race is gonna be in the next 10 yaers for this, on one side regeneration of hearing, other side hearing aids companies. Hope that first side is not gonna be sabotage to slow their research by anyone...

2,5 million euros, 5,8 million in Holland... unfortunately it is nothing in this kind of research...
Average football player from average Holland club cost more than that...

8 Milion investment for a pre clinical company is not bad at all. It's a quite small company so this investments will likely give them more freedom in research.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now