• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

There were several of the videos which mentioned reduction in volume, removal of "spikes", reduction in intensity.

I honestly wouldn't put a great amount of stock in the testimonials. They seem to describe everything from a habituation device to an outright cure. As a younger Irishman my experience is the older Irish generation are particularly bad at describing any sort of technical detail. Instead relying on "Ah sure it's grand now"/"I don't hear it as much"/"Felt a bit better about it" <- These could mean literally anything.

You'd be forgiven for thinking several of the users were describing the device reversing their hearing loss!? Being able to hear the TV better was one of them.

I think for most people who do respond to the treatment it'll be somewhere in between but what that actually means will vary wildly depending on the individual...
As a middle age Spanish man I tell you that there are young Irishmen in the testimonial videos and that in any case, making generalities such as talking about every Irishman's mentality forged in the same way is plain dullard.

Thankfully my hearing is perfect (I think my tinnitus is somatic).

Hopefully they aren't too strict on those of you with moderate hearing loss. I too recall Ross O'Neill saying only really severe hearing loss would be grounds for disqualification.

When I went for my initial assessment, the audiologist lady asked if I had a copy of my latest audiogram. I had intended taking a copy with me but I'd forgotten, so she did a hearing test. As I've posted before, it seemed pretty rudimentary and was definitely a lot shorter than most hearing tests I've had previously. In the light of the latest information coming out from Neuromod, I think I understand why now. I believe they were doing a basic test to potentially assess whether my hearing was (or wasn't) sufficient (without hearing aids) for the treatment. I understand they do a further hearing test at the second visit, which I'm expecting / hoping will be a bit more in depth to calibrate the device to my own hearing profile.

FWIW I don't think these people are out to make a quick buck or take advantage of our miserable existence. I think they do genuinely believe that their treatment can help a lot of people. Fingers crossed they're right.

Last edited:
This is the man behind the science:
https://med.umn.edu/bio/ent-faculty-a-z/hubert-lim
He is probably the most totally qualified human on the planet right now to combat this issue.
Just playing devil's advocate now; Lim has a doctorate in biomedical engineering - as does our Irish friend. Does that make them equally 'qualified'?

In response to the original poster's question, I'm sure I've seen somewhere that Mr. O'Neill's daughter suffers from hearing loss and / or tinnitus, which is what prompted him to focus on this area. Doesn't make him any more qualified, but he does have a vested interested in it beyond the gazillions he'll make if Lenire is a success.

As a middle age Spanish man I tell you that there are young Irishmen in the testimonial videos and that in any case
I never said there weren't? In fact I specifically mentioned several of them.
making generalities such as talking about every Irishman's mentality forged in the same way is plain dullard.
You should probably try reading what I actually wrote rather than fabricating an opinion for me that I don't actually hold in an attempt to insult me. What I was saying was that the older Irish generation have a habit of being stoic and curt about technical issues or complaints and this comes across in the videos. It's quite hard to tell what a responder can expect exactly given the undetailed testimony of some of the videos. I was saying this purely as a response to someone that asked.

In addition to this which i didn't mention earlier it's important to remember these testimonials are from the first trial which had inferior results to the second. To my knowledge we don't have any detailed testimony from the second trial? Open to correction though.

Just playing devil's advocate now; Lim has a doctorate in biomedical engineering - as does our Irish friend. Does that make them equally 'qualified'?
If they were equally qualified there would've been no reason to bring him on board and offer him a financial stake in the company. Dr. Lim had something that they needed. Knowledge, experience or credibility.

In response to the original poster's question, I'm sure I've seen somewhere that Mr. O'Neill's daughter suffers from hearing loss and / or tinnitus, which is what prompted him to focus on this area. Doesn't make him any more qualified, but he does have a vested interested in it beyond the gazillions he'll make if Lenire is a success.
I'm pretty sure Lim was the PI behind the guinea pig study which formed the foundation for all of our current neuromodulation research.

I'm sure Neuromod within the upcoming years will have stuff added onto the device, or perhaps different variations of the device, like the temple stimulation/neck thing for different tinnitus if it becomes a well-rounded success. I understand everyone's confusion and plight, but you guys are the beta testers, the information you're getting from Neuromod now might not be the qualifications or guidelines they have a year from now. Hopefully, that's something to hold onto.

So they got back to me. They said they are trying to confirm their slots for the rest of the year to see if they can get me in for 2019, if not I'll have an early 2020 slot.
You are prepared to travel four times to Ireland?

Initial assessment, device fitting, two follow-up visits.

That's going to cost some serious moolah!

How do you bring the device back to the US? FDA regulations?

I was wondering how Lenire may work with the addition of psychedelics. A lot of people report their tinnitus going away during a mushroom trip. Microdosing increases neural plasticity so it may amplify the effects of Lenire. I'm happy to be the guinea pig on this one.

You are prepared to travel four times to Ireland?

Initial assessment, device fitting, two follow-up visits.

That's going to cost some serious moolah!

How do you bring the device back to the US? FDA regulations?
I am. I'm probably gonna have to ask family to borrow some money, but it is worth the shot. Of course I'm eyeing others' feedback too.

With the FDA, they allow personal importation. I posted about it a while back.

I was wondering how Lenire may work with the addition of psychedelics. A lot of people report their tinnitus going away during a mushroom trip. Microdosing increases neural plasticity so it may amplify the effects of Lenire. I'm happy to be the guinea pig on this one.
I've been thinking the same but personally I wouldn't do it.

Since my tinnitus onset I've microdosed myself two times when going through the darkest times of my mood.

What I did was grind a couple of Hawaiian mushrooms to even the concentration of Psilocybin. Then made 0.3 gram doses. Took a dose every four days. Six total intakes. Every time I had a very small trip similar to the feeling of having smoked a small joint of weed or having drank some beers (good ones). I could feel how my tinnitus changed during the trip and even the very first intake it disappeared for some hours. I can't express how excited I was. My tinnitus is really severe. Angle grinder chopping layers of aluminum sound.

At the end of the intakes my mood had changed A LOT and the impact of the tinnitus on my psyche was completely different not giving a damn shit about it. That effect lasted months. Not feeling depressed at all for around 7 months.

When bad vibes kicked in again I gave it another shot and it worked one more time.

Again I'd prefer to let Lenire work on its own as it has been intended.

Hi all,

Please could someone help me to work out if my audiogram would rule me out of Lenire treatment?

Much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_2474.JPG
    9.1 MB · Views: 224
For those who have a lot of lower frequency hearing loss, is this something you could sort of tell before you got the audiogram? I'm just wondering how much of a surprise those numbers were.

So if you take medication (SSRI) then you are not eligible for trying Lenire?
I'm not sure if Amitriptyline is considered an SSRI, trying to find out. However, I take and have been taking a very low dose of Amitriptyline for years and was still accepted by Lenire. This was disclosed during my assessment.

I'm not sure if Amitriptyline is considered an SSRI, trying to find out. However, I take and have been taking a very low dose of Amitriptyline for years and was still accepted by Lenire. This was disclosed during my assessment.
Me too - low daily dose of Amitriptyline for a couple of years now and they've accepted me.

Amitriptyline isn't an SSRI, but I don't think Neuromod have stated or indicated that they'll reject people outright if they're on SSRIs.

Lots of low frequency loss is definitely something you can tell. Distortion of words and general lack of sound mixed. 80 dB for myself and basically deaf to sound.

If Leniere doesn't change the thresholds I assume us CI candidates should look elsewhere.

Lots of low frequency loss is definitely something you can tell. Distortion of words and general lack of sound mixed.
There is a distortion that I sometimes hear that kind of reminds me of MP3 aliasing so I associate it with high-frequency problems rather than low. My day of reckoning will probably be the audiogram. I feel for those who are being excluded :(

I have to say that the latest update on the Lenire User Experiences thread by @Cojackb is disheartening to say the least. I hope it's just a temporary spike/increase in the volume for that user. I remember in the interview video they mentioned some users did report having spikes of tinnitus after treatment.

I don't know what to think -_-

I emailed the FDA to get more information about personal importation.

They basically said the same thing I posted earlier, and that the decision is made at the time of importation.

Lenire appears to match the criteria, but it almost seems like a gamble.

For those who have a lot of lower frequency hearing loss, is this something you could sort of tell before you got the audiogram? I'm just wondering how much of a surprise those numbers were.
The surprise came when I had a hearing aid fitted and everything seemed super loud.

The audiologist explained that was what I should normally be hearing.

Thankfully it helped quieten the tinnitus for which I am ever grateful.

I have to say that the latest update on the Lenire User Experiences thread by @Cojackb is disheartening to say the least. I hope it's just a temporary spike/increase in the volume for that user. I remember in the interview video they mentioned some users did report having spikes of tinnitus after treatment.

I don't know what to think -_-
It's temporary mate :) Don't be disheartened!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now