• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

You know what, I might do just that.
I agree with @JayBowson on this one. :confused:

If Lenire is going to work for you, then your depression/anxiety will be alleviated by the reduction in tinnitus. Also, we know that some people actually get tinnitus from these types of medication so the potential for unforeseen events is definitely there. Just tell them about your medications.

Ok, guys, I feel like I have to ask.

In the last 24 hours, I've become obsessed with fear that I'm going to be rejected by Neuromod when I go to my appointment in February. The ONLY reason I can think of for them to reject me is because I'm on some drugs. I take two things, Circadin (Melantonin) and Olanzapine (Zyprexa). Olanzapine is a kind of anti-psychotic drug that's used to treat stuff like schizophrenia, however I'm obviously not schizophrenic. In lower dosage it can be used to treat depression and even to help you sleep (which is the only reason I take them).

I've been looking around on Google to find out if Olanzapine counts as a benzo, but I can't seem to find anything conclusive. Does anyone have any idea about this? I don't have hearing loss and my hearing is quite amazing to be honest, so I'm not worried about that. Contacting Neuromod at this point seems meaningless, since it's Friday and the weekend before Christmas.

Could anyone calm my nerves a little here? Or at least give me a heads up if I should quit Olanzapine before I go to Dublin?
They're trying to weed people out that are less likely to have a positive result because they want to produce the most favorable outcomes of the device overall. It has nothing to do with your personal safety or well-being.

This is a really big dilemma for me. I don't want to lie, but I can't be rejected. That CAN'T happen. I don't mean to sound melodramatic, but I've already decided that if I'm rejected, I'm going to kill myself. All the eggs are in the same Lenire basket.
Dude. I actually think you shouldn't do this treatment if this is the case. You can't be putting your eggs in one basket like this. There's always the chance that the treatment won't work, remember? Or you'll only respond mildly.

I really think you should talk to a counselor to get your head in a better space before trying Lenire. It's not good that you should be treating this as your only hope.

They're trying to weed people out that are less likely to have a positive result because they want to produce the most favorable outcomes of the device overall. It has nothing to do with your personal safety or well-being.
If they have a certain criteria they are using to "weed people out" then that is something that they certainly need to disclose. I'm sure they know about certain subtypes not responding to this treatment and it would be nice for them to inform the patient and research community.

This is a really big dilemma for me. I don't want to lie, but I can't be rejected. That CAN'T happen. I don't mean to sound melodramatic, but I've already decided that if I'm rejected, I'm going to kill myself. All the eggs are in the same Lenire basket.

Aren't there any other Lenire users who are on drugs as well? Just so I know that it's not an exclusion criteria.
Lurius, you are going to get asked mental health questions in your assessment interview and those alone will exclude you from the treatment beyond drugs. Only telling this so you are aware if they come up in your appointment.

I think the more important thing is that the University of Minnesota found in their studies that the less stressed a person was during they treatment the better the results were. I know it is hard for all of us, but I think it is important to do your best to de-stress and clear your mind before the treatment.

I fully agree with what @JayBowson said above.

U of Minnesota information

To be fair, this is the appropriate way of handling research: exclude any parameters which give valid concerns as to whether a treatment could be influenced. I think it's fair to consider any type of drug a suspect in this case, especially since the technique is still new. If people in the dataset use drugs that they don't know about and that unknowingly have a tinnitus impact, then the data concerning the treatment itself could become corrupted. Once they get their configurations right for the "default" user, then they are in the position to start looking into handling outside parameters.

@Lurius
It is your own choice in the end. I would strongly recommend against handling Lenire as a last resort though: there is still Susan Shore's device, which might be even more effective. Yes, it probably will still take some time before they release it, but there is hope... not to mention the other research which is being done. Honestly, of all the ages where someone can get tinnitus, it seems like a better period of time is just starting.

To be fair, this is the appropriate way of handling research: exclude any parameters which give valid concerns as to whether a treatment could be influenced.
If they're still conducting "research" they shouldn't be charging for the device. This policy is 100% about impression management disguised as concern for the patient.

Lurius, you are going to get asked mental health questions in your assessment interview and those alone will exclude you from the treatment beyond drugs. Only telling this so you are aware if they come up in your appointment.
May I ask what kind of mental health questions they asked?

It would be important for me to know to be prepared for my appointment.

May I ask what kind of mental health questions they asked?

It would be important for me to know to be prepared for my appointment.
Depressed, Stressed, Anxious. I think they are more geared to see if other problems are causing your tinnitus. I was also told that it is possible that this treatment may not work and how that would affect me. They are very straightforward that this very well could not work for you.

Most of their questions were based off the THI questionnaire that you fill out for the appointment and you will also fill it in again before your first assessment visit. I wish I could remember exact questions for you, but the whole process was a whirlwind. I think questions would be different for everyone based on your individual answers. I go for my device pickup in three weeks so I can ask more questions and report back.

Everyone is different so I wouldn't overthink it and keep moving forward. It very well could be your ticket out of this hell.

Aren't there any other Lenire users who are on drugs as well? Just so I know that it's not an exclusion criteria.
I'm pretty sure @Drone Draper mentioned that he was on Mirtazapine and sometimes used a sleep medicine called Zopiclone. He was not rejected on this basis.

It is important to remember that stress and anxiety will decrease the efficacy of any treatment. A simple cold can be greatly exacerbated and last a lot longer due to stress, so it makes that people who had less stress responded better during Susan Shore's trial.

Bullshit.

Whatever medication you might be talking wouldn't be the reason they reject you in this situation, but what do you think the outcome will be if you say to them 'if you reject me, I'm going to kill myself'? By extension, what will you do if they accept you and then the treatment does nothing for you? Or makes your tinnitus worse? They're not going to accept you as a patient if they are aware of your current mindset. It's grossly unfair to try to load that level of responsibility on to them.
Hi @ruud1boy.
Sorry for my poor understanding of English. Do you mean that if I go to the clinic for the assessment, they may reject me from getting Lenire?
My guess - and it is only a guess - is that they would not be willing to accept you as a patient if you're on benzos. The only way to know for sure though would to be go for an assessment and speak to them face to face. I doubt they'd give you a decision one way or another based on an e-mail exchange.

Lol what?

So you think if Neuromod knows a patient will become suicidal if the device doesn't work, they will reject them because they don't want to risk one patient potentially worsening their internal statistics rather than because of them worrying about the patient's wellbeing?

Honestly some of the posts in here crack me up.

Just don't disclose to them you're on benzos, that's all. No big deal.

Lol what?

So you think if Neuromod knows a patient will become suicidal if the device doesn't work, they will reject them because they don't want to risk one patient potentially worsening their internal statistics rather than because of them worrying about the patient's wellbeing?

Honestly some of the posts in here crack me up.
I said nothing about the patients becoming suicidal. They are likely doing it because they want to present the device in the most favorable light. If they allow people to use the device that are less likely to see positive results they may be legitimately concerned that it will result in negative feedback from users on this forum as well as elsewhere.

I said nothing about the patients becoming suicidal. They are likely doing it because they want to present the device in the most favorable light. If they allow people to use the device that are less likely to see positive results they may be legitimately concerned that it will result in negative feedback from users on this forum as well as elsewhere.
Please provide an example of a user who has been rejected on grounds other than hearing loss (which Neuromod have clearly disclosed) to back this up?

Please provide an example of a user who has been rejected on grounds other than hearing loss (which Neuromod have clearly disclosed) to back this up?
Turning people away based on hearing loss would still be consistent with my original assertion. If the patient is in no physical danger by using the device they should be allowed to purchase it.

Turning people away based on hearing loss would still be consistent with my original assertion. If the patient is in no physical danger by using the device they should be allowed to purchase it.
It's the same as any other prescribed medicine. Any doctor worth their salt won't prescribe a medicine they know isn't likely to help just at the whim of a patient, even if the side effects are minimal or benign.

Most especially in this case as the monetary and time involvements are heavy.

It's the same as any other prescribed medicine. Any doctor worth their salt won't prescribe a medicine they know isn't likely to help just at the whim of a patient, even if the side effects are minimal or benign.

Most especially in this case as the monetary and time involvements are heavy.
I've been waiting for you to chime in with your brilliant words of wisdom. It's not a medication and there are no known risks associated with a non-desirable candidate using the device. As such they should be allowed to purchase the device with the understanding it may not achieve the desired results.

I've been waiting for you to chime in with your brilliant words of wisdom. It's not a medication and there are no known risks associated with a non-desirable candidate using the device. As such they should be allowed to purchase the device with the understanding it may not achieve the desired results.
Honestly, I kind of appreciate the fact that they don't sell to people they don't think it will work for. If they did, it would be clear they are just after the money. It's, in my opinion, immoral to sell a €2000+ device to people you know your device simply cannot cater to.

I've been waiting for you to chime in with your brilliant words of wisdom.
Cool cool. I was waiting for you to declare yourself the winner of the Lenire discussion again, seems we're improving eh?
It's not a medication
The point isn't if it's a pill or not. The point is that it's a medical device. A device that comes at a heavy time and monetary investment. It simply isn't nor should it ever be up to the layperson to self prescribe medical devices.
and there are no known risks associated with a non-desirable candidate using the device.
As such they should be allowed to purchase the device with the understanding it may not achieve the desired results.
You lot are brilliant. On the one hand we have the skeptics coming down hot and heavy when anyone in the User experience thread mentions they've had temporary worsenings. Or even worsenings that have yet to improve.

Now when it suits the device has no risk? Which is it?

Erm... I think you'll find that your original post was replying to the user talking about suicidal thoughts and benzos.

Classic backtracking.

edit: total rubbish that anyone should be allowed to use this if it isn't going to cause harm. How on earth is a patient with severe / profound hearing loss across the board going to get anything from this?

I think you'll find that your original post was replying to the user talking about suicidal thoughts
The post that I specifically responded to made no mention of suicidal ideation. I don't make a habit of reviewing every single post written by a particular member before responding.
total rubbish that anyone should be allowed to use this if it isn't going to cause harm
Then it should require a prescription which it does not.

No hearing = no stimulation = no effect.

Why are you demanding that this should be available for patients it clearly won't work for?

A truly bizarre agenda.
We're not talking about individuals with a complete loss of hearing. That's a straw man argument if ever there was one.

We're not talking about individuals with a complete loss of hearing. That's a straw man argument if ever there was one.
If you really need me to spell this out for you then:

Lenire involves high frequency auditory stimulation.

Neuromod have stated that a user must have less than 80dB of hearing loss in the high frequency bands.

According to the feasibility and safety study the device only reaches an amplitude of up to 80dBA SPL (Source pg2).

Therefore having hearing loss of more than 80dB = no stimulation = no effect.

Neuromod's method seems crude to me. The stimulation is adapted to your hearing profile based on your audiogram and you need to be able to hear well enough to allow for enough auditory stimulation.

But somehow they don't need to know what frequency your tinnitus is.

Meanwhile, Susan Shore does take the parameters of your tinnitus into account as well as the exact parts of your body with which you can modulate your tinnitus and makes sure the electrical stimulation happens via that nerve.

Is Neuromod's method more of a broader approach that is easier to exploit commercially but also does away with some of the time-consuming parts such as tinnitus matching and an individualized treatment protocol? Is it therefore less effective than a more personalized treatment? I know Neuromod says they tune the device to one's hearing but it seems little more than compensating for dips in the audiogram in the way a hearing aid does.

What about people whose tinnitus frequencies lie beyond their hearing threshold and are therefore unable to receive any auditory stimulation to these frequencies?

Neuromod's method seems crude to me. The stimulation is adapted to your hearing profile based on your audiogram and you need to be able to hear well enough to allow for enough auditory stimulation.

Meanwhile, Susan Shore does take the parameters of your tinnitus into account as well as the exact parts of your body with which you can modulate your tinnitus and makes sure the electrical stimulation happens via that nerve.

Is Neuromod's method more of a broader approach that is easier to exploit commercially but also does away with some of the time-consuming parts such as tinnitus matching and an individualized treatment protocol? Is it therefore less effective than a more personalized treatment? I know Neuromod says they tune the device to one's hearing but it seems little more than compensating for dips in the audiogram in the way a hearing aid does.

What about people whose tinnitus frequencies lie beyond their hearing threshold and are therefore unable to receive any auditory stimulation to these frequencies?
From what they have said the tinnitus sound doesn't matter. So long as you can hear the sounds that the treatment plays.

As far as I know, the tinnitus frequency is not important due to the working mechanism of the treatment. It works on calming a specific kind of cells in your brain. These cells are called fusiform cells and are located in the dorsal cochlear nucleus. The first part of the brain where the nerves from the cochlear are processed. It is located in a part of the brain called Metencephalon. The Metencephalon is also a station of the Trigeminal nerve, a big nerve that innervates a lot of nerves from you face, also that of the tongue. The treatment wants to induce long therm depression in these fusiform cells by sending weak electronic impulses and sounds in a specific timing.

Dr. Susan Shore's device works in a very similar way, she might send the electronic impulses into different nerves, but the target station is the same. And I think the tongue is a quite good "entrance point".

The software seems to be much more important, the sound with the perfect timing etc...

Neuromod just wants to make sure you hear enough.

Anyone knows if (after a first successful assesment with Neuromod) it is possible for someone else to pick up the device for you, so you don't have to visit Dublin a second time if you are travelling from abroad?

Anyone knows if (after a first successful assesment with Neuromod) it is possible for someone else to pick up the device for you, so you don't have to visit Dublin a second time if you are travelling from abroad?
They are going to tell you "No". You are expected to make all follow up visits and on the device pickup appointment they train you how to use the device and have you use it for a short time.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now