• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Hyperacusis is a highly debilitating hearing disorder characterized by an increased sensitivity to certain frequencies and volume ranges of sound (a collapsed tolerance to usual environmental sound). A person with severe hyperacusis has difficulty tolerating everyday sounds, which become painful or loud.
I find dishes and cutlery sounds annoying.
I guess it all depends on how he defines the word "annoying". This is the world I used back when I had hyperacusis - there was no pain, but my ears felt uncomfortable - moderate sounds made me feel like a normal person would feel upon hearing someone whistling into a microphone. I would wince and describe it to the others as me being annoyed by moderate sounds.

20190723_085015.jpg

Training day has arrived. Hot. Sweaty.

Oh no, why? :( Has the device made some changes in the brain that now makes you more aware of them, or what?

Probably being less aware of tinnitus makes room to be aware of floaters more. When I'm having days where I'm thinking about my hearing problems a whole lot less, I notice my floaters a lot more. I'd rather notice floaters than tinnitus.

Probably being less aware of tinnitus makes room to be aware of floaters more. When I'm having days where I'm thinking about my hearing problems a whole lot less, I notice my floaters a lot more. I'd rather notice floaters than tinnitus.
Yeah, that could be the case.

I feel the other way around. I rather notice my tinnitus then my floaters, but then again my tinnitus is probably mild/moderate. I still hate my tinnitus, but I hate my floaters more.

What's the cut off point in terms of hearing loss to qualify for this?
I'm interested if I'd qualify for the treatment. In the Q&A it was said that profound hearing loss would disqualify you from getting to try the device. Profound is 90 dB. In EU, the safety limit for how loud a device that uses headphones can be is 85 decibels.

There's a rule that if you exceed the 85 decibels, up to 100 is allowed, you need to put in a warning into the device that displays every 20 hours, I doubt Neuromod went that route and the limit for Lenire is probably 85 decibels or maybe even less.

My audiogram has a sharp dip to 85 decibels at 8 kHz. I can hear speech fine in most cases. It probably means I won't qualify. Not sure if the cutoff point is 80 or 85, they did say it needs to be profound so maybe 85 will still qualify?

Also, maybe my hearing is worse than that in the higher frequencies that I haven't tested. Not sure. It would be good if they had mentioned exact numbers in the Q&A.

I guess it all depends on how he defines the word "annoying". This is the world I used back when I had hyperacusis - there was no pain, but my ears felt uncomfortable - moderate sounds made me feel like a normal person would feel upon hearing someone whistling into a microphone. I would wince and describe it to the others as me being annoyed by moderate sounds.
By annoying I mean that I perceive them too loud and tend to wince and withdraw as I hear them. Similarly for slamming door, pre-tinnitus they didn't annoy me particularly but now they are rather annoying.

10 days on vacation at the beach now. Floaters have become more dominant when in open blue sky environments. I've got plenty of them. Tiny worms like. Tiny shrimps like. Tiny spiders like. Not so tiny spiders (two) and a big black dot. I'd happily choose them over my tinnitus.

I thought it was 80 dB and up in the interview. It would be nice to know for sure. I say crank it up. In my case I could care less about hearing. Personally I want the tinnitus gone.

By annoying I mean that I perceive them too loud and tend to wince and withdraw as I hear them. Similarly for slamming door, pre-tinnitus they didn't annoy me particularly but now they are rather annoying.
That's exactly how I used to feel. This is hyperacusis, and most people eventually (it took me about a year) recover from it.

I guess I'm special for never recovering then. :(
I am very sorry to hear that. Hopefully Lenire (or one of the other upcoming treatments) will end this nightmare for you.

May I ask, have you been protecting yourself (e.g., avoidance, hearing protection) from the kinds of noises that feel uncomfortable to you?

I guess I'm special for never recovering then. :(
Same. But mine is the pain kind. I don't have lingering pain but I have sudden pain from noise. and yes, I tried for a period to avoid all sounds that hurt my ears. Didn't help me one bit... actually made me even more sensitive to sounds.

I've been to Neuromod and refused the device, gutted.

I have moderate high frequency hearing loss and took the audiogram with me. I had their test and have been refused on hearing loss grounds.

Nowhere in the questionnaire does it ask for details of hearing loss. Feeling tired and humiliated, still in Dublin and flying back tomorrow.

They are preparing for their launch in Germany, 2 dour Germans sat in but didn't engage with me!

Staff there are very nice but it's been a very expensive sense of failure.

Good luck to others.

Eve

Finally home with the device!

Firstly, it was awesome meeting you @Allan1967, gutted we didn't get a chance to sit down and have a proper chat so hoping one of our follow up assessments might overlap!

As for the experience, there really isn't much I can add to what Redknight has already provided in his extremely informative review.

The only thing I will say is I had two German consultants sat in on my assessment and device fitting (I had to provide consent). I did try to ask details about their presence but Lenire weren't able to provide any other information other than they're watching the consultations and seeing how the device is fitted, calibrated etc... training in other words.

Could be good news for anyone on mainland Europe, they're obviously working hard to get their treatment out there.

They give you the device and headset in boxes and a snazzy cardboard bag similar to the ones you get gifts in, just much larger. I ditched the bag in favour of my rucksack so for anyone travelling to get there, I suggest a relatively large bag to put them in.

20190723_212359.jpg

I can provide more pictures if people are interested.

I have moderate high frequency hearing loss and took the audiogram with me. I had their test and have been refused on hearing loss grounds.

Nowhere in the questionnaire does it ask for details of hearing loss. Feeling tired and humiliated, still in Dublin and flying back tomorrow.

They are preparing for their launch in Germany, 2 dour Germans sat in but didn't engage with me!

Good luck to others.

Eve
So if you have moderate hearing loss, they refuse to treat you? :(

Good luck to others.

Eve
What does moderate high mean on the graph? How many kHz?

Good luck to others.

Eve
Really sorry to read this ☹️ I sincerely hope this changes and you get the chance again if the option came about!

Good luck to others.

Eve
I'm so sorry to hear that, and I'm glad you shared because I also have moderate high frequency hearing loss. Such a shame. Hope you're ok x

Jack, I say this with all due respect, please learn the fine (and endangered) art of patience.
My anticipation always kills my patience lol.

Good luck to others.

Eve
That's the most heartbreaking thing I have read in a while :( Can't imagine what it must be like to be you right now... Big hugs.

Good luck to others.

Eve
I'm sure you will be able to find an audiologist in Germany when it goes there who will give you the device regardless of hearing loss.

I am very sorry to hear this :(

What did they consider "moderate" hearing loss? Was it a typical 1 - 8 hz test? Or did it go to 20?

Finally home with the device!

Firstly, it was awesome meeting you @Allan1967, gutted we didn't get a chance to sit down and have a proper chat so hoping one of our follow up assessments might overlap!

As for the experience, there really isn't much I can add to what Redknight has already provided in his extremely informative review.

The only thing I will say is I had two German consultants sat in on my assessment and device fitting (I had to provide consent). I did try to ask details about their presence but Lenire weren't able to provide any other information other than they're watching the consultations and seeing how the device is fitted, calibrated etc... training in other words.

Could be good news for anyone on mainland Europe, they're obviously working hard to get their treatment out there.

They give you the device and headset in boxes and a snazzy cardboard bag similar to the ones you get gifts in, just much larger. I ditched the bag in favour of my rucksack so for anyone travelling to get there, I suggest a relatively large bag to put them in.

View attachment 31104

I can provide more pictures if people are interested.
Are those Koss headphones?

Dude. You are the greatest memer in the universe.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now