Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) for Tinnitus — Long-Lasting Everyday Home-Practiced Experiences

I have a few thoughts about this I'd like to share. I'd also be interested in how @Bubblegum Witch is doing right now, did her spike perhaps die down or was it indeed permanent damage?

I've always had the mindset that there's risks with absolutely everything, trying the laser, not trying the laser (thus not giving yourself the chance of recovery with LLLT), trying/not trying supplements, going outside your house with or without hearing protection, doing almost anything can be risky. One needs to weigh the risk to (potential) benefit ratio, which is different for different people.

I think people overestimate the dangers of LLLT for tinnitus and underestimate the dangers of ingesting a substance. There's different levels of dangers for ingesting different things, but overall you're playing with complex neuro and body chemistry and who knows what can go wrong. LLLT on the other hand is very localized. I'm not saying LLLT is without dangers, there's dangers to both, but people have been ruined by supplements as well. I seem to have gotten permanent sensitive teeth with Nicotinamide Riboside. People have had bad reactions to HBOT as well, but it gets much less slack for that imo, I presume because it's a official treatment and not alternative like LLLT.

For me, back 2+ years ago, I sort of believed the people criticising LLLT for tinnitus made a lot of sense, but I viewed the risk as something worth taking. It was like a full court shot before the buzzer for the win that ended up swishing through the net. I got lucky. I almost didn't buy the laser but had a spike beforehand that made my situation a lot worse and I realized I could not avoid further spikes like that even if I'd live like a hermit so it was do or die. Other people might have a different level of sense of urgency.

In my success story I outlined 18 things I tried, not gimmicky things but things that actually had a good chance of helping. For me personally, the risk of not trying them outweighed the potential for harm and also the monetary loss. Also, the people who don't try any treatments for their tinnitus, who seem to be the vast majority, often get worse, sometimes much worse.

I think people don't factor into the equation people who get worse without treatments who would have benefited from them and they tend to over focus on the bad stories of getting worse with treatment instead of the stories of success. I guess because in one case you got worse without doing anything, in another you got worse with doing something.

I'll say it again, there's dangers to every treatment there is. I did try 18+ things but was careful with trying them, doing my research and carefully monitoring my response and quitting them if things seemed to not work out, either because they didn't work or because they caused bad side effects. Another thing I do and have been doing since forever is I start with very low doses.

I literally start by taking a spec of a supplement pill or something, if things are fine for a couple of hours, a bit more, and work my way up gradually to full pill within a couple of days sometimes even, depending on how potentially dangerous I think the substance is. There's no real downside to this and big upside of not ruining yourself if you get some bad side effects, especially because they can be permanent. I even did it with the laser, I started with about 5(maybe less can't remember now) minutes at a time and monitoring my response. It took me like a week or more to reach the full duration of time.
On the other, it does seem that wavelength matters in terms of healing, and since my T sounds are hanging around the 3,000Hz range, I'd need the 780nm.
Before first buying the laser, I did ask Konftec what the graph on their site is based on, what science etc. They just ignored my email. Might have also been because the person replying to the email didn't know or because she didn't want to/was too lazy bother the higher ups or whatever, but I take it with a grain of salt. My tinnitus is high frequency and so is my hearing loss, but I need both of the wavelengths that I have (808 and 660).

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I guess that's a question. I have the BCB, the last B stands for black. It looks more professional, not only me saying that, otherwise no other difference. I'm happy with mine and my results, your results may vary.

Hi,

I got my first onset after loud noise expoisure in 2015. 10 month ago it got much worse after another encounter with loud noise for some time. So one could say i am way out of the acute phase.

What are your guys thoughts about LLLT for chronic patients? I'm not sure what to believe anymore about LLLT. Some say it helps them, some say it is crap and a waste of money.

Hi,

I got my first onset after loud noise expoisure in 2015. 10 month ago it got much worse after another encounter with loud noise for some time. So one could say i am way out of the acute phase.

What are your guys thoughts about LLLT for chronic patients? I'm not sure what to believe anymore about LLLT. Some say it helps them, some say it is crap and a waste of money.
It helped me a lot. I did 15 clinical laser treatments last September in Sarasota Florida, it definitely made my tinnitus quieter. But it didn't cure it. Brought it from a 7 to a 3 I would say.

It helped me a lot. I did 15 clinical laser treatments last September in Sarasota Florida, it definitely made my tinnitus quieter. But it didn't cure it. Brought it from a 7 to a 3 I would say.
Hi scotty, great to hear this has helped you.
Maybe this can help for some cases (there are many tinnitus subtypes).

Could you describe how you experience your tinnitus?

Is it a pure tone or more like a hissing/sizzling?

Is it somatic (f.e. does it change with neck movements or jaw or when yawning)?

Thank you.

"Laser therapy uses a process called photobiomodulation. Photons enter the tissue and interact with the cytochrome c complex within mitochondria. This interaction triggers a biological cascade of events that leads to an increase in cellular metabolism and a decrease in both pain and inflammation."

Dr. Arnaud Norena currently is also researching the possibility of pain and tinnitus caused by inflammation of the tensor tympani muscle. If this can cause tinnitus (which I believe it can), this could explain why LLLT might reduce tinnitus (for some patients).

I experience 2 types of tinnitus, a pure constant tone tinnitus (left) started right after an extreme noise event and a hissing/sizzling sound many years later in both ears. The hissing is somatic (it changes pitch and sound level when I move my neck or jaw or when I yawn). It's when you eat or yawn that the TTM steps in... When I have to speak for longer periods of time I get a spike. It's when you speak the TTM steps in. When I have a spike I get relief from a very hot bath and soaking my ears (without soap of course) in the water. The pain and tinnitus goes down, at least for a while. Heat relaxes muscles.

I work alone from my home office, it has been a long time since I had a spike. Now that my wife is home since 2 weeks because of holidays, I have a spike. I couldn't link it to an incident, I didn't expose myself to noise. We just talked a lot... (speak -> TTM).

Paper patching my tympanic membrane (to relax the TTM) also improved my condition. Unfortunately this is only a temporary solution.

I will have to try to find out if LLLT can work for me.

But what device would you recommend?

Hi scotty, great to hear this has helped you.
Maybe this can help for some cases (there are many tinnitus subtypes).

Could you describe how you experience your tinnitus?

Is it a pure tone or more like a hissing/sizzling?

Is it somatic (f.e. does it change with neck movements or jaw or when yawning)?

Thank you.
It started as a pure tone now its more of a hiss / broken TV channel sound. However its also reactive to loud constant sounds, for instance if I go on my motorcycle for an hour or so the hiss turns tonal again before it settles back down again (20 minutes later). Mine is also somatic if I press my forehead, clinch my jaw or doing sit ups it changes the pitch to a momentarily very high squeal sound. My doctor thinks I have damaged the nerve and that is the root cause..

if I go on my motorcycle for an hour or so the hiss turns tonal again

@scotty03874 -- I would consider giving up anything that exacerbates your tinnitus, even if for just a little while. I've seen too many reports of "it always reduced back down"... until it didn't. Just a friendly word of caution. -- Take care!

So just read through this thread - net takeaway is most people did not benefit and the ones that did benefit over a timescale that it would be impossible to dis-aggregate their improvement from natural healing/fading. Anything I'm missing?

What I don't understand is this:

How can the Konftec laser be doing damage if it's so weak? 50mW for 660nm and 90mW for 808nm. There is the DIY laser therapy thread where people use lasers at least twice as powerful yet no one complains there.

Did your tinnitus get louder at first like people report with Konftec or did it just drop? Thanks!

Hi @Renee W

No special way to insert the probes, I insert them kind of like earplugs, pulling up my ear with the other hand and inserting with a slightly twisting motion.

What you can do though is cut the rubber tips from the base around 5 mm, which makes the beam much wider and thus makes it much harder to miss the cochlea.

Best of luck with the treatment.
Btw I am doing BPC-157 subcutaneously - I know you mentioned that as well. So far no grand result though, 7 days in.

Sorry to hear @GBB that you've found no relief from anything you've tried so far. I did mention BPC-157, but elected not to try it myself because my tinnitus is so mild already and it has its dangers. I hope you get relief soon.

Sorry to hear @GBB that you've found no relief from anything you've tried so far. I did mention BPC-157, but elected not to try it myself because my tinnitus is so mild already and it has its dangers. I hope you get relief soon.
No worries I just started. Will see how it goes.

I am looking at LLLT myself, specifically the emLas®-520C as my tinnitus is present in right ear = 7,000 Hz & left ear = 8,000 Hz.

Is there any more experience with this product before I make a decision to purchase?

What I don't understand is this:

How can the Konftec laser be doing damage if it's so weak? 50mW for 660nm and 90mW for 808nm. There is the DIY laser therapy thread where people use lasers at least twice as powerful yet no one complains there.
Personally, I've decided it's not for me, though I don't doubt it works for some.

I've tried both 660nm and 808nm, and done as low as 5 minutes. No matter what I try, each gives me a multi-day, massive spike in volume. I know it's doing something, but in my case when the spike recedes, it's never any better, and frankly it's not worth having tinnitus twice as bad for a period of months or years to get some improvement when maybe natural improvement would be the same.

Again, I don't doubt it works for many, but it's not for me.

Personally, I've decided it's not for me, though I don't doubt it works for some.

I've tried both 660nm and 808nm, and done as low as 5 minutes. No matter what I try, each gives me a multi-day, massive spike in volume. I know it's doing something, but in my case when the spike recedes, it's never any better, and frankly it's not worth having tinnitus twice as bad for a period of months or years to get some improvement when maybe natural improvement would be the same.

Again, I don't doubt it works for many, but it's not for me.
I am sure you have seen the anecdotal report above by BubblegumWitch. She argues that there is a fundamental difference between the 808nm laser and the 660nm laser. However, you seem to have problems also with the 660nm one. I think you are right in stopping this, I would not risk further aggravation.
Maybe this is self-evident to people with more sense than I who didn't put too much stock in the experience of a few forum goers, but shining a 808nm laser into your inner ear is not safe. Profoundly not safe. Six sessions with a Konftec device caused major, irreversible hearing loss - an order of magnitude worse than where I started.

The laser causes tinnitus spikes because it's damaging your cochlea. It's that simple. There is no mechanism for this to be healing. The cochlea can't heal. Irradiating it damages healthy hair cells, which causes further hearing loss. Maybe that modulates tinnitus in the short term for some people by changing the perception of the hearing loss, and maybe I would have been better off if I'd skipped every other day, but this is not a healthy or advisable practice and I can't believe Konftec sell such lasers as safe - regardless of Wilden's opinions.

Now I can't help but wonder if buying their recommended 780nm would have done less damage, though I kind of doubt it since the underlying principle is the same. I can't believe I was fool enough to research that LLLT was safe but not realize that research only applied to the 660nm laser systems. I can't believe I was fool enough not to stop before my baseline because intolerable. Please learn from my mistakes. Shining a laser pointer in your ear (660nm) is harmless and generally recognized as safe. Infrared LLLT is a completely different practice and it can destroy your hearing.

I am sure you have seen the anecdotal report above by BubblegumWitch. She argues that there is a fundamental difference between the 808nm laser and the 660nm laser. However, you seem to have problems also with the 660nm one. I think you are right in stopping this, I would not risk further aggravation.
Thanks for pointing that out - it is indeed true I have reactions from both wavelengths and I may be especially sensitive. Therefore I'm stopping just in case I'm inadvertently boiling my cochleae - I don't feel any heat/pain/discomfort during lasering, but what follows is always a spike of massive proportions.

Hello to all...

I have had tinnitus and hyperacusis for 2.5 months. It all started after I had COVID-19.

Today I ordered a Konftec em-Las520B laser.

I have hearing damage up to 30 dB at 2.5 kHz-4 kHz) in both ears in the specified area.

Screenshot_2020-11-18-16-35-30-965_mobile.eaudiologia.jpg

Reading the forum I see that most people's tinnitus and hyperacusis are amplified after the initial use of LLLT.

Is there anyone here who has used LLLT without it amplifying tinnitus and hyperacusis?

Thank you in advance.

Has anyone had a bad reaction to LLLT but then went on to have success with a red light?

I have severe hyperacusis, and I had a bad reaction to a single LLLT treatment that made my hyperacusis much worse.

I have since heard from more people who swear by their red lights for hyperacusis pain relief. So, I can't help but be curious if a red light might help me out?

I am probably crazy for even thinking about it...

Has anyone had a bad reaction to LLLT but then went on to have success with a red light?

I have severe hyperacusis, and I had a bad reaction to a single LLLT treatment that made my hyperacusis much worse.

I have since heard from more people who swear by their red lights for hyperacusis pain relief. So, I can't help but be curious if a red light might help me out?

I am probably crazy for even thinking about it...
The red light for me gave a similar reaction as the laser, but I don't have much hyperacusis, it just spiked my tinnitus and seemed to make it more reactive / volatile.

@GBB, thank you for responding! Someone had me so close to trying a red light, but I couldn't help but fear the same reaction that I had with LLLT.

I'm sorry that neither of these treatments worked for you. And what is up with our uncooperative cochleas?! I really wished this stuff worked for us.

@GBB, thank you for responding! Someone had me so close to trying a red light, but I couldn't help but fear the same reaction that I had with LLLT.

I'm sorry that neither of these treatments worked for you. And what is up with our uncooperative cochleas?! I really wished this stuff worked for us.
Sure - as always while it may not have worked for me, it may work for you, but happy to provide a reference point.

Hello @Jan64!

I see you have great knowledge on tinnitus and lasers!

I am thinking of ordering red 5mw or maybe 50mw laser, please can you say if a laser might cause adverse affects or even damage the ear more?

I saw one guy on Tinnitus Talk write that Dr. Wilden's LLLT ruined his life by making his tinnitus much worse.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Evelina

The double blind studies we have on laser therapy show a clear improvement in hair cells restoration but only in the acute phase.

The latest 2016 Japanese study is another good one.

So it's a bit like steroids - they work but only in the beginning.

Laser therapy is still worth trying but if the damage happened a long time ago, then the chances are low. Some people may get lucky, who knows - leds are super cheap and there isn't any side effects.
How long after tinnitus onset is too late to try laser therapy?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now