MuteButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe this NDA thing. You can post anonymously if you like. I also took part in several studies and never had such requirement. And if so, they can share their experience after completion of the trial.

My first impression is that this is a good sign because nobody claimed its efficiency but this sounds too good to be true.

That was my main concern in the beginning...

I hardly believe 700 people keep their mouth shut about a topic like this, but at the same time I found only one comment on a forum saying it wasn't working and dated from 2015 I think.

So it's no talk at all... neither from the patients who had success nor the ones for whom it didn't work.

In both situations I would talk... or to tell my fellow tinnitus friends not to get scammed or to be happy because something is on the way.

Makes me think they didn't work with many musicians cause it's a community topic to chat about our ears.

The 2015 comment was from the first MuteButton that didn't work. It is hard to say. I am hoping that the people that were in the trial are happy and moved on with their lives and have to worry less about their tinnitus and haven't been posting about it. Most people fill out surveys and complain on forums when they aren't happy. I am hoping that it is a good sign. The validity of NDA's is always a gray area in the US at least.

I know this isn't what MuteButton is working on, but sometimes I wish there were a device that would be sort of like those vasectomies with a switch where I could simply turn on and off my hearing. I'd still have tinnitus but I'd at least be able to experience pure silence anytime I wish. I think that's what people who are considering having their auditory nerves cut are really wanting and I don't understand, physiologically, why it is tinnitus can persist even after the cut.

Depending on the source, 10-20% of the whole population is estimated to be affected by tinnitus. Let's be super conservative and estimate that only 0.5% of the population has the kind of tinnitus that we have (persistent and disturbing, not just fleeting tinnitus or a temporary noise after a concert). Also, instead of considering the whole population of the Earth, let's just restrict ourselves to people who speak English and have internet access - let's conservatively estimate that this is just 1 billion out of the total 7.8 billion. Even with conservative estimates, we arrive at 5 million English-speaking, internet-enabled tinnitus sufferers, but there are probably much more.

Now let's estimate how many people are on this forum actively (not just with a forgotten account they used 2 years ago when they felt bad). Let's be optimistic here and estimate 1000.

The chances that out of 5 million, the 700 people who tried MuteButton 2 and the 1000 people who are active on Tinnitus Talk overlap is slim. The chance that there's someone in these overlap who is willing to also break a NDA is slimmer yet.

The absence of testimonies of people who tried MuteButton 2 is thus completely irrelevant, a meaningless signal.

Relax, folks, we'll have our very own members trying this stuff in just a few weeks.

neuromod-qa-video-edit.png

Total length 1 hour 15 minutes.

It's ready for prime time. I completed the final round of edits - Neuromod had a couple of small things to suggest after their review earlier today - now they too have been implemented.

I'll be encoding this now, then Neuromod will give it a final quick look. You should be able to watch the video sometime tomorrow on Thursday (with the assumption that Neuromod doesn't already have a full schedule for the day), or Friday the latest.

Thanks for all of your patience during this time! (y)

If it was purely a matter of lack of input then all deaf people would hear tinnitus, right? It's more complex than that.
It is.

One would first then look at how they became deaf. Gradual or sudden. Born like that or not. Genetic or not. Loss of hair cells or not. GABA deficient or not... etc...

Many variables, but the fact remains, loss of input can cause tinnitus.

And I get why not getting any input at all won't solve the problem. Increase input on the other hand...

The most affirming thing for me will be peer reviewed trial results and an endorsement from @RCP1. Neuromod doesn't know the best and or worse advertisement they can get is from him.

The addition of Dr. Lim and Rich Tyler impresses me the most. These two are both experienced in the tinnitus world. Neither one of them seem like the fly-by-night type just there to associate themselves with the release of a deceptive product as a money grab.

Markku, I would like to thank you and everyone else for your contribution. If it wasn't for your sacrifice, hard work, we wouldn't have anything to look forward to. I think it's vital people like you are out there giving us hope.

Hope is so powerful because it's the only thing that moves you on when you have tinnitus. 3 months after onset I somewhat find it hard to believe, after so many years, a realiable treatment comes out. Am I that forunate? Tested on 700 tinnitus sufferers, and not one bit of info to be seen. I don't understand, when you're selling a product, and it works, you don't want anyone to know about it.

But anyway, let's see what is on the video. I'm not optimistic, but you never know....

Testimonials from MuteButton clinical trial participants:

https://www.neuromoddevices.com/stories

View for yourself, but I didn't find any of them especially believable.

Just my opinion. I watched with skeptic eyes though.
Video #3 Aidan
"It's not that the volume decreased, but the intensity decreased"

So...…….

Video #4 Patricia
"It's gone"

What is she referring to by "it"? The volume of her tinnitus or her negative emotional response to the presence of her tinnitus?

Video #5 Hugh
He does in fact report a reduction of the volume of his tinnitus.

Video#6 Dorothy
Reports hiss gone, base tone still there.

Video #7 Ken
Reports spikes from certain sounds have stopped.

Notice that nearly all the of things the people in these videos reported an improvement in lack an objective ability to scientifically measure.

Susan's video doesn't look that convincing. 'Made up a little white lie about the MuteButton', the sarcasm seems overdone and a bit inappropriate for the occasion. Maybe it's just me that sees things that are not there...

Thanks for sharing... didn't see that before.

Well they didn't sound that fake to me, and if it's people acting I would say they are quite on the spot while talking about the tinnitus.

How the treatment works:

Seems I will really have to try it by myself. Just a bit of reduction in intensity or volume or both would be amazing.

I find these testimonials believable. I've learned to trust my gut instinct as i get older and my gut tells me all these people are real people with real tinnitus and speaking the truth.

Video #3 Aidan

So...…….

Video #4 Patricia
"It's gone"

What is she referring to by "it"? The volume of her tinnitus or her negative emotional response to the presence of her tinnitus?

Video #5 Hugh

Video#6 Dorothy

Video #7 Ken

Notice that nearly all the of things the people in these videos reported an improvement in lack an objective ability to scientifically measure.
What are your thoughts on it?

If these are the best case outcomes I'm not very excited. I guess we should be grateful that they didn't try to BS us with ridiculous claims of success. At the very least. it sounds like it's marginally effective.

Video #3 Aidan

So...…….

Video #4 Patricia
"It's gone"

Video #5 Hugh

Video#6 Dorothy

Video #7 Ken

It's unfortunate but the English language isn't equipped to describe these sensations. It's not like describing the sensation of a beneficial neuroplastic response to a maladaptive response is a common thing for people to discuss... either way you just don't know until you are in their shoes. As someone who IS in their shoes and has experienced every possible timing over the course of nearly 30 treatments, these different explanations all jive with different experiences I have personally felt.

It may be hard to comprehend but I have been privy to experiencing no sound and to no emotional reaction to sound via these treatments... and there isn't a whole hell of a lot of difference. If I had the choice of 5 years of no sound or 6 years with no emotional reaction to a sound that was 85db to mask... I'd take 6 with no emotional reaction every time.

But I've been there and can talk about it openly, rationally, and objectively.

If you would like to hear more... I'd love to talk about it. But my assumption is most are incapable of separating this idea from the loaded concept of habituation... no matter the differences or similarities they share.

I think it's important to remember that if this product is released, and anecdotal reports - especially those on this site - indicate it does not work, while the company will make a little scratch in the short term, it will ultimately fail. This is how business is done. If you don't make a product that works or offers value to a customer, your sunk.

I find it really hard to believe that they would hire all these new impressive people, do the trials, offer to do the Q & A, if they didn't have true value to offer. Maybe it's the optimist in me, but it seems like a shite of work to do, if they're going to launch a SECOND iteration of this product - to have it fail again.

I believe we have to remain positive in relation to companies that are trying to help us. I know the result will be they make the money if they are successful, however if the device or drugs fail they will lose big time in investment and in name. We have to be patient and offer support so companies don't shy away from research and place tinnitus in the too hard basket.

I have just watched the testimonial videos as well and they all seemed genuine to me. Although a bit confused about one guy who said loudness didn't decrease but the intensity did, huh? What does that mean, any ideas anyone?

The testimonials seem genuine. The effect was only over 12 weeks - what if it was used for longer. I am actually hopeful now that this does something - seem to be realistic claims as well...

Looking forward to the Q&A.

Looks like Ross O'Neill will be up for the Nobel Prize... !

Tiocfaidh ar la

Video #5 Hugh
Interesting that he said he wished he could have used the device for more than 12 weeks. I'm wondering whether a patient can use the device for more than three months to further reduce the volume or whether that wouldn't help. Really looking forward to the interview.

Video 1 - Niall
"Really on a sccale from 1 - 10 it was way past 10, [...] after the six weeks I found that the tolerance for me was definitely down to around a 3, that was that good, it made that much of an impact on my life."
Video 2 - Noel
"Since I've done the trial it's improved, they are saying things like 'the telly is not near as loud anymore, that's a great thing daddy, you should buy one of these' […] I think it was after about six or seven days, my eldest daughter came down and said 'Well, that thing is working because the TV is not near as loud as it used to be'"
Video 8 - Noel
"The tinnitus has stopped more or less […] a lot less than it was [...] it's there but it's not consciously there, I have to actually concentrate to hear it now."
Video #4 Patricia
"It's gone"
I think she meant the tinnitus is gone. She said that she woke up one morning and thought something was wrong, then she went on to say: "I can't hear anything, it's gone and that was it. It stayed gone until I finished the trial […] and it never came back. "

You can also watch Neuromod's patient stories on Vimeo where you can fast forward and rewind if that wonderful Irish accent makes it a bit difficult for a non-native English speaker to understand certain parts exactly, or perhaps it's due to my tinnitus haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now