MuteButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why you think this. It's normal and part of the normal job for doctors to have continuous education. Learning new devices or medical procedures is all part of the job.
*Most large hospital systems actually force it.
My ENT didn't even know what hyperacusis is, she also didn't understand how white noise maskers could help. Most ENTs don't seem to know much about tinnitus and hyperacusis or keep up with research. Can't count the number of times someone was told by a medical professional "There will never be a tinnitus cure (in your lifetime)!" or "Hair cell regeneration is hundreds of years away!". So I personally just can't picture thousands of ENTs/audiologist wanting to spend their precious spare time on going to such a workshop but I hope I'll be proven wrong! Anyway, I hope I won't have to travel too much for this device.

Where does it say that Hubert is going around the USA teaching audiologists/ENT departments?

It is also important to note the conflict of interest. It states clearly that not only is Hubert Lim employed by Neuromod, he is a shareholder in the company. That means he has a financial interest in the company. Anybody who owns shares in a company obviously wants them to succeed. He obviously believes in it to own a stake, but I would remain cautious to studies made by the very same people who have a financial interest.

Also, I'm not sure how people reach their conclusions but many audiology outlets (especially in U.K.) are private businesses. It will be up to them if they want to sell Neuromod through them (they will obviously get a slice of the pie). I can see The Tinnitus Clinic jumping all over first, however I think some smaller audiology outlets may come later - probably because of the limited evidence/it's a new product and obviously have to take into consideration selling a product that will cost thousands with no guarantee it will work to their customers. Some outlets would prefer the tried and tested methods.

My ENT didn't even know what hyperacusis is, she also didn't understand how white noise maskers could help. Most ENTs don't seem to know much about tinnitus and hyperacusis or keep up with research. Can't count the number of times someone was told by a medical professional "There will never be a tinnitus cure (in your lifetime)!" or "Hair cell regeneration is hundreds of years away!". So I personally just can't picture thousands of ENTs/audiologist wanting to spend their precious spare time on going to such a workshop but I hope I'll be proven wrong! Anyway, I hope I won't have to travel too much for this device.
Audiologist will be ran out of business if they can't adapt to the new technology and novel medical innovations. A new era could happen, hang in there.

Where does it say that Hubert is going around the USA teaching audiologists/ENT departments?
You can deduce that from it saying "Learning Objectives" and "Instructional Level" in the link. It could also be about teaching ENTs...

Yes, on their website it states that they are speaking at a few American conferences.

No British ones though? Hope they're not aiming to launch in America first (sorry Americans, just being selfish :) )

Yes, on their website it states that they are speaking at a few American conferences.

No British ones though? Hope they're not aiming to launch in America first (sorry Americans, just being selfish :) )
Even though the conferences are in America such as the ARO - they have nerds flying in from all over the world. God bless them.

The old timers stick to tried and tested methods.

Like the evergreen, ultimate tinnitus treatment method: "Learn to live with it."

Or reliable, low-risk ear cleaning procedures like syringing with enough water pressure to put out a burning oil well.

Doctors need to learn that their title and diploma doesn't make them demigods, and they need to fucking keep up with the times like members of every other profession.

My audiologist spoke to them and said they were interesting. A few good ones who keep up to date with the research will know about them. The old timers stick to tried and tested methods.
Yeah, she was clearly not among the good ones. Said I most likely had misophonia. Even after I described the physical pain, warm ear... It was all an emotional reaction.

Spoke to an audiologist on the phone today. She did not seem to know about this. At all.
In a way it's not very surprising. Most audiologists earn their living through selling hearing aids and to a lesser degree white noise generators. The MuteButton 2 device will I imagine be sold directly by Neuromod and at least to start with I expect the great majority of audiologists won't be licensed to sell it - so their commercial interest in it is likely to be very limited.

Yeah, from that perspective I get it, but you'd hope your audiologist invests herself in new developments in the field. If not out of medical professionality, then at least out of interest. I mean, such a big development should be picked up on, at least.

Yeah, from that perspective I get it, but you'd hope your audiologist invests herself in new developments in the field. If not out of medical professionality, then at least out of interest. I mean, such a big development should be picked up on, at least.
I agree although I think quite a lot of audiologists will be looking at it as just another neuromodulation device, for which there have been several expensive and not very effective devices out there already. We all hope that this new one will be something more than that but the final proof will be some time away yet.

Asked two audiologists.

One laughed and said it was a waste of money.

The other said: "I have had a look at the site and I have never seen this before so sorry cannot comment on how effective it is. I personally only deal with hearing aids and traditional sound therapy which may or may not work for individuals."

I think some people distrust anything that challenges their paradigm.

As James Franco said: "Haters gonna hate. Ainters gonna Ain't!"

I would have thought all audiologists would have had a keen interest in all the latest developments. OK, so Neuromod isn't mainstream news worthy, but I would have thought they'd all be up on Susan Shore, Neuromod, etc.

I'm getting to see an ENT on the NHS next month. I'll ask them then.

Asked two audiologists.

One laughed and said it was a waste of money.

The other said: "I have had a look at the site and I have never seen this before so sorry cannot comment on how effective it is. I personally only deal with hearing aids and traditional sound therapy which may or may not work for individuals."
it makes sense. There are a lot of neuromodulation devices out there. But bimodal, now that is a whole new animal. I assume most audiologists don't know about it because they are just in their normal routine of working with hearing aids and audio tests. It's the few that go to conferences and are interested in bringing new devices to patients (and these enthusiastic audiologists are out there trust me), they are the ones who will be excited.

Your run of the mill audiologist that works at a typical clinic (like a Kaiser) won't care enough to look into this until their board tells them to work with and learn the new devices.

Definitely. Well, time will tell. We could be looking at this thread in 2 years time thinking "God, what shmucks!"

This could be disruptive technology for their industry.

Remember how record companies sued Napster? Where are they now? Kissing Spotify's ass.

An audiologist I saw a while back told me he was working with someone (who turned out to be Mark Williams from The Tinnitus Clinic) about a new therapy. Immediately I knew what he was talking about - Acoustic CR Neuromodulation.

(I've seen multiple audiologists over the years).

I sent him the link for Neuromod and told him this was way more promising than that along with the Q&A. I am going to send him more info when it becomes available (the peer reviewed papers).

That's a clear example of how audiologists work in what appears to be a traditional practice.

But then again, I'm not your average "professional knows best" patient. In fact when I was in hospital last year I was talking to a doctor who raised an eyebrow and asked if I was a medical professional... no just a Tinnitus Talk member. Ha ha.

Remember how record companies sued Napster? Where are they now? Kissing Spotify's ass.
At the risk of going off topic, to be fair, Spotify is subscription based with legal music to download with revenue going to labels and artists, whereas the thing with Napster was, it's an illegal file sharing tool with no revenue going to rightsholders.

But yeah, I get your point.

Oh, absolutely, but the delivery method is the same (as in, no more CDs). Record companies dropped the ball big time.

Would you consider a hearing aid or masker if Neuromod or Susan Shore is legit?

Oh sure, Napster providing a free alternative for buying CDs did pave the way for Spotify and music streaming. And you're right, I wouldn't, so there will be a certain revenue loss in those markets. But I think it'll take a while for the market to pick up on the Neuromod, so for now I'd say they're fine, with enough time to think of something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now