• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

South Korean Clinic Treatment (Dr. Minbo Shim)

Maybe would be interesting to ask him if he is aware of the works of Michigan, Minnesota and MuteButton, what he thinks about it and if it could be a complementary treatment to his method. (sorry I'm not native English).

In my case I just hope for some symptoms reduction from any of these methods/devices because I still put my ears at risks every weekend (even well protected for the last 14 years) for sure my tinnitus became much worse and complex :(

Korea is shaping up to be the plastic surgery capital of the world... all my gfs have had things done there. If I could pick any place for medical procedures I would pick South Korea... plus the food is so yummy =]

Also read this.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/000164800750000784

and this:

PRP does contain epidermal growth factor.

"Recent in vitro studies demonstrated that members of the epidermal growth factor (EGF) family are involved in hair cell replacement in the postnatal mammalian organ of Corti (OC) after ototoxic damage. This suggests a role for the EGF receptor (EGFR) in this process."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378595599002038

Components of PRP have been scientifically implicated in healing the eardrum and hair cell replacement.
The science lends potential credibility to this technique.

Also read this.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/000164800750000784

and this:

PRP does contain epidermal growth factor.

"Recent in vitro studies demonstrated that members of the epidermal growth factor (EGF) family are involved in hair cell replacement in the postnatal mammalian organ of Corti (OC) after ototoxic damage. This suggests a role for the EGF receptor (EGFR) in this process."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378595599002038

The science lends potential credibility to this technique.
And that's part of the reason why I keep hanging on to this. All of this would be brilliant if Shim wasn't so unorthodox. He's a real ENT, yet does a lot weird and self-limiting stuff.

Ear drum ordinarily heals on its own if the damage is minimal. PRP used for ear drum doesn't convince me nearly as much as anything to do with hair cell replacement.

I honestly like to believe that Minbo has some merit. I think that Mesenchymal Stem Cells have merit as well; but what sets this treatment apart is the viscosity. I think that viscosity is the core factor that would lead to any effectiveness in this treatment as oppose to others.

I emailed the clinic and that's what they replied :
Its composed of some stem cells and growth factors extracted in your own blood and bone marrow.

The cost of treatment is 6,000 US dollars.

So maybe a combinaison of stem cells and NT3

I'm reading earlier in this thread now, as I probably should have done before I began posting; but if this information above is accurate, it makes me more of a believer in Minbo's efficacy. The issue with Mesenchymal Stem Cell regeneration and the ears has always been poor vascular infrastructure, as well as inability to adhere to the cochlea. If MSCs are admidst this Sticky Cocktail, it would make me feel even more confident.

I would be curious how much of the cocktail's composition is Stem Cell vs. PRP, what kind of SC, derivation of SC, how many SC, and has he experimented with different compositions? I can't say it enough, viscosity is key, and if he has experimented with the composition of this cocktail, he may have discovered something that others have not; especially if his application is adhering, he would much better be able to assess results and implement changes in application to increase effectiveness.

If this actually works at all, it just seems like it was so simple a solution that we could have been doing for a long time. "Make it Sticky".

I'm reading earlier in this thread now, as I probably should have done before I began posting; but if this information above is accurate, it makes me more of a believer in Minbo's efficacy. The issue with Mesenchymal Stem Cell regeneration and the ears has always been poor vascular infrastructure, as well as inability to adhere to the cochlea. If MSCs are admidst this Sticky Cocktail, it would make me feel even more confident.

I would be curious how much of the cocktail's composition is Stem Cell vs. PRP, what kind of SC, derivation of SC, how many SC, and has he experimented with different compositions? I can't say it enough, viscosity is key, and if he has experimented with the composition of this cocktail, he may have discovered something that others have not; especially if his application is adhering, he would much better be able to assess results and implement changes in application to increase effectiveness.

If this actually works at all, it just seems like it was so simple a solution that we could have been doing for a long time. "Make it Sticky".
How long have stem cells and growth factor been a thing? About 30 years? It's not that late, honestly.

@Artemis2K, I'm reading the early thread and seeing you posting here from almost exactly 2 years ago; you've been following this thread a long time. Are we just rehashing old things here, or are we making any progress on the subject? Have you formulated an opinion yet? I intend to go through the length of the thread, it'll take a little bit though.

@Artemis2K, I'm reading the early thread and seeing you posting here from almost exactly 2 years ago; you've been following this thread a long time. Are we just rehashing old things here, or are we making any progress on the subject? Have you formulated an opinion yet? I intend to go through the length of the thread, it'll take a little bit though.
Ehhhh. We mostly ran around in circles. Two years ago I was kind of depressed so I wasn't really much help. We did find out a lot. I managed to get enough information to believe he was a true ENT with a lot of history. I stalked him like crazy for a period to learn about a lot of his background, so I definitely know he's an ENT.

We also talked about the science, the hearing tests and the frequency dips, his connection to Heller, his history, etc. I don't think we got this far though. He didn't have any registered patents back then. We didn't know too much about his method of treatment.

If you've noticed already, my mind was somewhere else, and I wasn't fully engaged in the beginning. Some of the stuff I found, others already found before me and I didn't realize it.

I just hope that nobody loses interest in this thread again until we get complete confirmation. I would hate to leave things up in the air. There is promise here, let's not look the other way until we know for sure what is going on.

Hey, if you don't mind, while you go through that can you take notes and link key posts in a post that lists what we found?

As previously stated, Dr. Minbo's treatment consists of platelet rich plasma which contains:
platelet-derived growth factor
transforming growth factor beta
fibroblast growth factor
insulin-like growth factor 1
insulin-like growth factor 2
vascular endothelial growth factor
epidermal growth factor
Interleukin 8
keratinocyte growth factor
connective tissue growth factor
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platelet-rich_plasma

From Pubmed:
"epidermal growth factor, transforming growth factor alpha, insulin, IGF-1, and IGF-2 are important for regeneration/repair in the mammalian labyrinth."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9751665/?i=6&from=/9263028/related

Notice he doesnt advertise or explain this, I had to dig for it and it looks like there is a rational/evidence based argument for his treatment.

I mentioned the IGF from a different study earlier. Though it was talking about sudden hearing loss, I thought it was still relevant because regardless of what was treated growth factor has been shown to treat nerve damage very well. You just showed I was right.

And that's part of the reason why I keep hanging on to this. All of this would be brilliant if Shim wasn't so unorthodox. He's a real ENT, yet does a lot weird and self-limiting stuff.
T
I mentioned the IGF from a different study earlier. Though it was talking about sudden hearing loss, I thought it was still relevant because regardless of what was treated growth factor has been shown to treat nerve damage very well. You just showed I was right.
That pubmed article says regeneration. I'm really starting to think Minbo is the real deal and a fluke.

Sounds like something that shouldn't be, doesn't it?

Still planning on going? You had second thoughts earlier.
I'm ready to. Kinda scared but ready. I have to do something. My life is kinda ruined right now. Theres real evidence that this could be for real. Sounds like a power drill in my brain. I hate this.

I'm ready to. Kinda scared but ready. I have to do something. My life is kinda ruined right now. Theres real evidence that this could be for real. Sounds like a power drill in my brain. I hate this.
Any way you could bring your wife with you? Do you have someone who could take care of your kid if you decided to?

As requested, I just finished condensing this thread. I tried not to decide for readers what is intellectually relevant; though I did try to keep the thread on topic, and to keep the natural and chronological flow of the discussion. I filtered out the LLLT discussion, but I left a lot of the Stem Cell, as it seems more relevant to Dr. Shim, especially if he is utilizing SCs in his procedure. Also, there are plenty of more thorough and informative LLLT threads if that is a topic you are interested in digesting.

Unfortunately, I left out most links aside from their screenshots. You will have to either track down the post or manually enter the URL. I did include some of the more important links; it shouldn't be too difficult to find the specific post you are interested in.

My take after reading the current entirety of this thread is that the pending patent or finalized patent, whichever it is, is the most relevant information to drive this discussion.

I managed to take 1,070+ posts down to about 200. Hopefully this makes this thread a bit more accessable.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/b9p64c

This link should only last a few days to a week; if someone who is more tech savvy could condense the file and upload it here, or find a way for more permanency, I'd appreciate it.

As requested, I just finished condensing this thread. I tried not to decide for readers what is intellectually relevant; though I did try to keep the thread on topic, and to keep the natural and chronological flow of the discussion. I filtered out the LLLT discussion, but I left a lot of the Stem Cell, as it seems more relevant to Dr. Shim, especially if he is utilizing SCs in his procedure. Also, there are plenty of more thorough and informative LLLT threads if that is a topic you are interested in digesting.

Unfortunately, I left out most links aside from their screenshots. You will have to either track down the post or manually enter the URL. I did include some of the more important links; it shouldn't be too difficult to find the specific post you are interested in.

My take after reading the current entirety of this thread is that the pending patent or finalized patent, whichever it is, is the most relevant information to drive this discussion.

I managed to take 1,070+ posts down to about 200. Hopefully this makes this thread a bit more accessable.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/b9p64c

This link should only last a few days to a week; if someone who is more tech savvy could condense the file and upload it here, or find a way for more permanacy, I'd appreciate it.

Dropbox or Google Docs wasn't an option?

Thank you, btw.

EDIT:
Malware Bytes blocked the website due to a PUP.

I'm sure you'll be fine. If you think it's safer, perhaps you could do it all on one ear?
Trust me I've thought of everything. The one thing I don't get is that why isn't Dr. Minbo the world famous savior of tinnitus?

Is it because they've known how to regenerate hearing for several years and the western world of medicine wont acknowledged it because there's a preexisting industry for the hearing loss market that will go bankrupt unless they slowly delay the release of the cure and also that nothing cheap or free cannot pay for FDA trials and return on the investment, and Dr. Minbo got wise up jumped the gun?

Someone please tell me how a nearly free or cheap medicine, especially a one time cure,can possibly be profitable enough for a pharmaceutical company to afford the initial cost of putting it through FDA trials to get it approved in the first place here in the year 2018?

Think about it.

Trust me I've thought of everything. The one thing I don't get is that why isnt Dr. Minbo the world famous savior of tinnitus?

Is it because theyve known how to regenerate hearing for several years and the western world of medecine wont acknowledged it because theres a preexisting industry for the hearing loss market that will go bankrupt unless they slowly delay the release of the cure and also that nothing cheap or free cannot pay for FDA trials and return on the investment, and dr. Minbo got wise up jumped the gun?
Well, you could possibly ask that yourself later.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now