Suicidal

True story. The summer of '91 brought recurring nightmares that seemed way ahead of their time. I was only 6 years old and remember them vividly, even to this day. I stood in a junkyard, surrounded by scraps, and felt this sense of loss... so overwhelming. With every turn and every movement, encircled by these walls of trash, I was, and this bloody sky that looked so ominous, and then it dawned on me that disaster had struck: everything important was gone in my life.

I didn't know why, no reason was ever given, but the panic within was palpable, and it shook me awake each night. The sadness washed over me over and over as the fever dreams persisted, and haunted my heart and mind in sequence. A kid with chronic nightmares that seemed so out of place... it was odd. What I didn't know at the time, though, was that these dark forebodings were an omen perhaps. The central message within these dreams would come true 30 years later, and I can only assume that the junkyard itself — with all its waste and destruction — was symbolic for a loss yet to come.

2021 brought that loss with severe tinnitus and noxacusis. And just like the nightmares, the same emotions ferociously came and cemented my essence, but I hope I'll wake from this nightmare, too. I pray to God each day for that.

upload_2022-11-16_10-57-17.jpeg

@Jerad, your dream resonated with me so much. I had a very spookily similar dream when I was the same age many moons ago. The image you've put up is exactly what was in my dreams right down to the burnt orange sky and desolate landscape. Even to this day I can remember parts of it as if it was real. It's the only vivid dream that has ever stuck with me.

@Jerad, your dream resonated with me so much. I had a very spookily similar dream when I was the same age many moons ago. The image you've put up is exactly what was in my dreams right down to the burnt orange sky and desolate landscape. Even to this day I can remember parts of it as if it was real. It's the only vivid dream that has ever stuck with me.
That's amazing that we both experienced similar dreams around the same time in our lives. Was yours in a junkyard, too? How did you interpret it? Mine were recurring.

That's amazing that we both experienced similar dreams around the same time in our lives. Was yours in a junkyard, too? How did you interpret it? Mine were recurring.
Mine seemed to flit between an area local to me growing up, then big tall buildings like abandoned factories and things similar to giant bins/dumpsters that seemed to be on fire. Everything was burnt orange and a smoldering blackness that accompanied it.

It seemed to be inhabited by people going about their daily life completely unaware of what was going on around them and then the next minute I would be on my own in the middle of almost apocalyptic.

Not sure what I thought of it at such a young age as I think this was 1997 and being about 5 or 6 I had not seen anything like that on TV or films that I was aware of at the time so it was not imprinted or anything in my mind. I was very prone to weird dreams growing up and still am to this day. My dream was recurring growing up but somewhere along the line I did stop dreaming about it but never forgot it.

For the first 2 years my tinnitus was slightly disturbing at first but really didn't noticeably affect my life. Then I had a step up in 2017 and it became significantly more intrusive along with some hyperacusis. The condition trended slightly worse over time but I could maintain decent stability by being practical about using earplugs and avoiding excessive noise exposure.

However, in the past 3 months my tinnitus and hyperacusis have quite literally gone exponential. It's taking less and less sound to permanently increase my tinnitus. It now increases sometimes multiple times a day, this is without any exaggeration. It is hard to find anyone else who has experienced tinnitus like this. As I lie hear now, the screeches and humming consume me and I can't mask it anymore without turning everything to levels that are too high for my noxacusis. It feels all my efforts at CBT etc. can't hold a candle to this out of control train. It's really hard to think this trend could end up positively. It's one thing to grit out a period of bad tinnitus (which I have done before) but it's another to have a setback that had been getting aggressively worse for months. Trust me, I have held on hope for so long but it gets harder every day now.

For the first 2 years my tinnitus was slightly disturbing at first but really didn't noticeably affect my life. Then I had a step up in 2017 and it became significantly more intrusive along with some hyperacusis. The condition trended slightly worse over time but I could maintain decent stability by being practical about using earplugs and avoiding excessive noise exposure.

However, in the past 3 months my tinnitus and hyperacusis have quite literally gone exponential. It's taking less and less sound to permanently increase my tinnitus. It now increases sometimes multiple times a day, this is without any exaggeration. It is hard to find anyone else who has experienced tinnitus like this. As I lie hear now, the screeches and humming consume me and I can't mask it anymore without turning everything to levels that are too high for my noxacusis. It feels all my efforts at CBT etc. can't hold a candle to this out of control train. It's really hard to think this trend could end up positively. It's one thing to grit out a period of bad tinnitus (which I have done before) but it's another to have a setback that had been getting aggressively worse for months. Trust me, I have held on hope for so long but it gets harder every day now.
I've only had tinnitus since October of last year and I'm already feeling this dread. Losing all hope because it just gets worse. No sound tolerance at all.

I visited a grocery store earlier and came across one of those blood pressure machines. I figured I should check it out. A few minutes later I'm shown a reading of 160/99!This is a long shot but I'm wondering if my blood pressure is affecting a degree of these miserable noises. I'm hesitant on any medication because of ototoxic effects. I'm going to try switching up my diet for the next two weeks or so and I'll report back if there are any changes. I'm going to cut out salt and fast food completely. I'm hoping this will bring me some kind of relief.

I was already doing really bad with hyperacusis, and now my friend's phone went off full blast near to me and it hurts so damn much.

Even typing on this keyboard is a nightmare.

I hate this existence. Just put me in a cold silent dark room to sleep until we have a cure for this bullshit.

Theezy, since COVID-19 and ENT tests, my tinnitus seems to be progressively getting worse. Usually things settle down, but 7 weeks on and I seem to only be worsening by the day. Very loud high pitched squealing. I'm not in a good place right now either. Praying for improvement for us all.

I was already doing really bad with hyperacusis, and now my friend's phone went off full blast near to me and it hurts so damn much.

Even typing on this keyboard is a nightmare.

I hate this existence. Just put me in a cold silent dark room to sleep until we have a cure for this bullshit.
I don't have friends anymore, it's too dangerous. My only "friends" are this forum.

Did the pain come on immediately? I'm wondering what causes noxacusis. Is it the middle ear muscles or actual nerve fibres?

As I lie hear now, the screeches and humming consume me and I can't mask it anymore without turning everything to levels that are too high for my noxacusis.
Do not try to mask reactive tinnitus. If your tinnitus is only now unmaskable - it's just entered severe category. I've lived with unmaskable tinnitus since 2011.

Do not try to mask reactive tinnitus. If your tinnitus is only now unmaskable - it's just entered severe category. I've lived with unmaskable tinnitus since 2011.
That's wild, how do you live with it? Do you ever have periods where you get used to it and don't notice it much even though it's audible over everything?

That's wild, how do you live with it? Do you ever have periods where you get used to it and don't notice it much even though it's audible over everything?
Nope. As one member (@Telis) and ex-buddy of mine said once, you always notice it, it's always there loud and clear heard over anything, but you just think it's an annoyance or PITA, rather than have a mental breakdown over it (paraphrasing - he gets pissed when you quote his old posts). How? You get hardened to the sound. IT'S ROUGH.

Nope. As one member (@Telis) and ex-buddy of mine said once, you always notice it, it's always there loud and clear heard over anything, but you just think it's an annoyance or PITA, rather than have a mental breakdown over it (paraphrasing - he gets pissed when you quote his old posts). How? You get hardened to the sound. IT'S ROUGH.
How is Telis doing? He had made some very good posts on fasting. I haven't seen him for ages. He has been extremely strong keeping up the fight with his level of severity. I hope he is better now. Some of his old posts (and Bam's :() always resonated with me and this catastrophe in my ears and head.

Pattern has repeated twice now.

Take Topamax, see improvements with hyperacusis, then unstable mood and anxiety begins in exchange for stable hyperacusis. Mood evens out while hyperacusis gets worse and my body gets used to the med. Dose gets upped, same cycle repeats. So, I just need to keep popping more pills to prevent this from happening before I even see my doc? No thanks. I'm outta here.

Now getting migraine symptoms where I did not have them before. Apparently this can happen in people who are taking the med, even off label. Was not informed of this.

My hyperacusis is even worse now, tolerance is collapsed, not sure if it's a setback I can recover from. Kind of matches with what another user said about their tinnitus getting worse when getting off the med.

Be very wary of this medication. I am hoping they allow me to stop taking it. It did make my hyperacusis more stable. No dramatic improvements, who knows if it'd be better on a higher dose... but if the drawback is severe setbacks and going below my original baseline when my body gets too comfy with it, on top of the horrible mood swings and reduced cognition, I don't know if it's worth it.

I wanted to try this with Nortriptyline but I don't think I can make it. I'm just devastated. Cannot stand meds and their endless gambles and sacrifices.

How is Telis doing? He had made some very good posts on fasting. I haven't seen him for ages. He has been extremely strong keeping up the fight with his level of severity. I hope he is better now. Some of his old posts (and Bam's :() always resonated with me and this catastrophe in my ears and head.
We had a fallout a year ago. He reacted very negatively when I pulled an old quote off this forum about his tinnitus. If you look at some of his last posts, he's gotten a short temper unfortunately and snaps at people. Even though I apologized numerous times for inadvertently pissing him off, to no avail... So I don't know how he's doing today. I'm guessing he's doing ok more or less.

@dan, how did it reach severe category? What changed it.
Noise accidents. However, it was already high moderate from day 1 back in 2011.

Funny when I look back, I think if I would have my old tinnitus back, it would seem so nice.

I had a good run from about 2015 to 2019 where I was living life at 80% and was enjoying it.

HOPEFULLY I can regain some semblance of life once again, however I have little hope.

My noise accident that raised my tinnitus was very loud music at a wedding, even though I was earplugged and stuffed fingers on top. This was 3 years ago and I just started feeling good when I was exposed 10 days ago to a car alarm for 10 seconds with Peltors on and still I got worsening.

I thought you were joking at first, but then I saw your response to @TheDanishGirl and realized you weren't. You must be okay in life — not in a debilitated state — or you wouldn't be thinking like this, unless you enjoy living the "dead" life. When people are severe, like many on this forum, the realm of the living emulates the dead, as life becomes cold, barren, and lifeless, really. You can't engage with earth anymore 'cause you're trapped inside your house. Some people on here can't be around people, even. They're living in closets 24/7 and wearing protection all the time. They're incompatible with the world.

I've always been a fan of the cosmos and its beauty, but unimaginable suffering caused me to rethink what's important in life. People and their well-being should come first. It's okay to stargaze and look for planets, but not at the expense of our own people. I agree with @Tweaker. We're chasing fantasies and neglecting a sacred responsibility — to care for our own and put them first. Once we fix that, we can look to the stars all we want. To be honest, the way we currently spend money is really reckless and immature, like kids who won't do homework. They spend their time goofing off and ignore what really matters.

Instead of spending 54 billion a year on stargazing, we should spend 2 billion. I'm not saying strip it completely. Give the other 52 to the people that need it, for crying out loud. All this suffering on earth exists for a reason and doesn't have to. And we're still in the Stone Age period of space exploration anyway, and 54 billion doesn't go a long way in expediting that. However, 52 billion does for matters of health. Medical breakthroughs happen all the time with that kind of money. For now, 2 billion would be sufficient enough to keep that snail crawling toward the Bronze Age of space exploration.

At best, we're hundreds of years away from interstellar travel. Even if it's fully realized, you and I won't be here to see it. Mars and the moon will see it first before we could ever dream of other planets. In fact, colonizing one in our solar system — with pressurized buildings and domes — is far more realistic than looking for another earth. Life isn't like the movies, unfortunately.

In cosmic terms, we haven't even been here that long. According to science, humans are still in their infancy. Dinosaurs are the reigning champs of time... the most successful species to ever populate this planet. They existed for 165 million years and humans have only been here 200,000. We have nothing on them, as far as time goes. If an asteroid gets us, too, in the next 100-300 years, it was inevitable anyway. We're a long time away from leaving earth and, personally, I don't think we ever will. You also have to consider the nature of the cosmos. I believe in God and not in chance, so earth wouldn't end accidentally, in my opinion.
Sorry you are still in a difficult space with this condition. Good post by the way - I always enjoy your musings.

54 billion is not spent on stargazing as you put it. Much of the money spent in space has scientific or commercial justifications. The probes sent out are just a fraction of that. Also - if this money was not spent on space - it would either not be spent at all - or spent on something else and not medical research.

I have to disagree with you about never leaving earth. In just 60 years we have gone from primitive rockets to putting men on the moon. We have before us hundreds of millions of years - maybe several billion - if we do not destroy ourselves by climate change - before our sun collapses and life becomes impossible on earth. In 10,000 years - I am very confident we will have established settlements on Mars at least. Forget the pennies which are spent in space. Think about the eye watering amounts of money that are spent on the military. Maybe 2-3 trillion USD worldwide per year. Earth could be struck by a comet or asteroid - though we would know about sometime before it happens and you and I will be ashes by the time that happens if it does at all.

Good point about dinosaurs - yes champions of earth so far for longevity - what was your god doing when they were kings of the planet for 165 millions years? I assume he planned to bring in man at a later stage and the dinosaurs' only real purpose was so that palaeontologists would have a place in his eternal master plan.

Noise accidents. However, it was already high moderate from day 1 back in 2011.

Funny when I look back, I think if I would have my old tinnitus back, it would seem so nice.

I had a good run from about 2015 to 2019 where I was living life at 80% and was enjoying it.

HOPEFULLY I can regain some semblance of life once again, however I have little hope.

My noise accident that raised my tinnitus was very loud music at a wedding, even though I was earplugged and stuffed fingers on top. This was 3 years ago and I just started feeling good when I was exposed 10 days ago to a car alarm for 10 seconds with Peltors on and still I got worsening.
I'm so sorry about the recent exposure. I swear that's how it always seems to be with tinnitus and hyperacusis. They let you step just one foot into the warm light and you think you might make it. Then they rip you back into the darkness further in than before. That's how it felt with my initial increase too. 3 months ago I was feeling the best I had felt about the tinnitus and hyperacusis in years probably, almost felt like I was rounding a hill. Now I'm on a work leave and frequently check in on Tinnitus Talk's Suicidal thread... what an evil condition. It's so unpredictable, but that also means it could swing back to better days sooner than expected. Even if it's a pipe dream, that chance is part of the spark that keeps me going. Also wild how the mind gets callused to this, a couple months ago I wouldn't have been able to handle my current tinnitus levels for 2 seconds. It helps knowing there's other people fighting these same crazy battles even though I'd wish it on no one.

Sorry you are still in a difficult space with this condition. Good post by the way - I always enjoy your musings.

54 billion is not spent on stargazing as you put it. Much of the money spent in space has scientific or commercial justifications. The probes sent out are just a fraction of that. Also - if this money was not spent on space - it would either not be spent at all - or spent on something else and not medical research.

I have to disagree with you about never leaving earth. In just 60 years we have gone from primitive rockets to putting men on the moon. We have before us hundreds of millions of years - maybe several billion - if we do not destroy ourselves by climate change - before our sun collapses and life becomes impossible on earth. In 10,000 years - I am very confident we will have established settlements on Mars at least. Forget the pennies which are spent in space. Think about the eye watering amounts of money that are spent on the military. Maybe 2-3 trillion USD worldwide per year. Earth could be struck by a comet or asteroid - though we would know about sometime before it happens and you and I will be ashes by the time that happens if it does at all.

Good point about dinosaurs - yes champions of earth so far for longevity - what was your god doing when they were kings of the planet for 165 millions years? I assume he planned to bring in man at a later stage and the dinosaurs' only real purpose was so that palaeontologists would have a place in his eternal master plan.
Thanks, @Stuart-T. You offer interesting insights, too. I just think the governments of this world need to manage their money better. People should always be prioritized first. There are 7,000 rare diseases that have no cure. Of those, 90% don't even have an FDA treatment. And sufficient funding never sees the light of day. Yet, we see unlimited funding for other things.

I think the people who get rare conditions, like hyperacusis or noxacusis, are kind of thrown in the closet because there's just no money to be made off them. With hyperacusis or noxacusis, only 10 to 20 people out of a million will get the ailments, so why would the government fork out $ for such a small group? At the end of the day, $ always comes first in their eyes, even over people. It's a disgusting truth. Perhaps there should be a fund set aside for just "rare" disorders in general, not for one kind of disorder, and then that $ could be divided up. If we had 54 billion or some significant number for those 7,000 rare diseases, we'd be a lot further along all around, not just for ear problems, but for the overall well-being of humanity.

As for the future of mankind, I don't think we'll ever migrate to distant planets because of my religious beliefs. I think the world will end before we'd ever get that advanced. You're right — if we had 10,000 more years or a million, we'd become something more than "human." We'd be a force to be reckoned with in the cosmos, where we could control and achieve things that seem unimaginable at this time. I don't think God will allow us to get that powerful.

And this one will melt your brain. It's a thinker. Personally, I don't think time has existed for as long as we've been taught. I don't think the cosmos is really 13.8 billion years old, in a sense. Same with the dinosaurs. I don't think they existed for 165 million years. I'll explain. Science supports that age for the universe because the creation was made to be a mature one. If you look at the Genesis account, for example, Adam was created as an adult. He never experienced childhood. He came into this world as a grown man. Same with Eve and the animals. I think the same can be said for the universe itself. It never experienced childhood. It came into being as an "adult," so to speak. Everything in it. The sun, moon, stars, and so forth.

The reason I say that is because an infant universe wouldn't have worked so well from a creation standpoint. Besides the moon, the night sky would've been pitch black, for example, for the first 4 years after creation because the nearest star is 4 light years away. Animals need the stars. I researched this and National Geographic confirmed my thoughts: From dung beetles to seals, steering by the stars is a critical skill, as it aids them in migrating, finding food, or searching for mates. Even a creature as small as a beetle, with a brain the size of a grain of rice, can gaze up at the starry night and decide where to go.

An infant universe wouldn't support life near as effectively if you wanted the creation to be up and running right away, as God did in Genesis. So if my theory is true, that the cosmos was created to be already old, then it turns science on its head in some ways and makes a fool of scientists, who say we have proof it's 13.8 billion years old. It really is that old, but time itself isn't. Time's only been around, who knows, 10-20 thousand years. There's no way to truly slap a date on anything, as far as time goes, if what I say is true. We think we know everything and perhaps we have no idea. The ultimate folly of humanity is to assume we know.

When we look through a telescope and see a star system that's so ancient that it's estimated to be X billion years old, we're looking at something that technically never happened within the construct of time. If the universe was created as a 13.8 billion year old system, then the light along with it was, too. So even though it's there and looks that old, it really never happened under our watch or the universe's. It was that way from the beginning. God bypassed time and joined everything in progress.

And maybe dinos existed alongside humans. Some believe that. There are supposedly cave paintings in various places around the world where our ancestors drew dinosaur-looking creatures. They look like stegosauruses, for example, and other well known dinos. These drawings are thousands of years old, before paleontology. If humans never coexisted with such creatures, how would they have drawn them or conceived them? They wouldn't have known they ever existed. Maybe dinos got wiped out in the famous flood that sunk the world. Maybe the crater from the asteroid contributed to that flood. As smart as humans are (or aren't), there's no way to truly know. People who believe the simulation theory would say the same.

Democracy is a failure. If we had a dictatorship predicated on our needs, we'd have a viable treatment by now.

I just think the governments of this world need to manage their money better. People s There are 7,000 rare diseases that have no cure. Of those, 90% don't even have an FDA treatment. And sufficient funding never sees the light of day. Yet, we see unlimited funding for other things.

I think the people who get rare conditions, like hyperacusis or noxacusis, are kind of thrown in the closet because there's just no money to be made off them. With hyperacusis or noxacusis, only 10 to 20 people out of a million will get the ailments, so why would the government fork out $ for such a small group? At the end of the day, $ always comes first in their eyes, even over people. It's a disgusting truth. Perhaps there should be a fund set aside for just "rare" disorders in general, not for one kind of disorder, and then that $ could be divided up. If we had 54 billion or some significant number for those 7,000 rare diseases, we'd be a lot further along all around, not just for ear problems, but for the overall well-being of humanity.
The problem lies with healthcare systems/providers not being up to speed and not spending needed time with patients.

PMC nih.gov / NIH National Library of Medicine - Center for Biotechnology Information has 8.5 million filtered clinical articles, most with case histories - most providing at least some treatments. PMC has 2685 professional participation journals.

Over 10,000 biotech companies / university government funded studies are presently working on disease and thousands are for rare diseases.

Thanks, @Stuart-T. You offer interesting insights, too. I just think the governments of this world need to manage their money better. People should always be prioritized first. There are 7,000 rare diseases that have no cure. Of those, 90% don't even have an FDA treatment. And sufficient funding never sees the light of day. Yet, we see unlimited funding for other things.

As for the future of mankind, I don't think we'll ever migrate to distant planets because of my religious beliefs. I think the world will end before we'd ever get that advanced. You're right — if we had 10,000 more years or a million, we'd become something more than "human." We'd be a force to be reckoned with in the cosmos, where we could control and achieve things that seem unimaginable at this time. I don't think God will allow us to get that powerful.

And this one will melt your brain. It's a thinker. Personally, I don't think time has existed for as long as we've been taught. I don't think the cosmos is really 13.8 billion years old, in a sense. Same with the dinosaurs. I don't think they existed for 165 million years. I'll explain. Science supports that age for the universe because the creation was made to be a mature one. If you look at the Genesis account, for example, Adam was created as an adult. He never experienced childhood. He came into this world as a grown man. Same with Eve and the animals. I think the same can be said for the universe itself. It never experienced childhood. It came into being as an "adult," so to speak. Everything in it. The sun, moon, stars, and so forth.

The reason I say that is because an infant universe wouldn't have worked so well from a creation standpoint. Besides the moon, the night sky would've been pitch black, for example, for the first 4 years after creation because the nearest star is 4 light years away. Animals need the stars. I researched this and National Geographic confirmed my thoughts: From dung beetles to seals, steering by the stars is a critical skill, as it aids them in migrating, finding food, or searching for mates. Even a creature as small as a beetle, with a brain the size of a grain of rice, can gaze up at the starry night and decide where to go.

An infant universe wouldn't support life near as effectively if you wanted the creation to be up and running right away, as God did in Genesis. So if my theory is true, that the cosmos was created to be already old, then it turns science on its head in some ways and makes a fool of scientists, who say we have proof it's 13.8 billion years old. It really is that old, but time itself isn't. Time's only been around, who knows, 10-20 thousand years. There's no way to truly slap a date on anything, as far as time goes, if what I say is true. We think we know everything and perhaps we have no idea. The ultimate folly of humanity is to assume we know.

When we look through a telescope and see a star system that's so ancient that it's estimated to be X billion years old, we're looking at something that technically never happened within the construct of time. If the universe was created as a 13.8 billion year old system, then the light along with it was, too. So even though it's there and looks that old, it really never happened under our watch or the universe's. It was that way from the beginning. God bypassed time and joined everything in progress.

And maybe dinos existed alongside humans. Some believe that. There are supposedly cave paintings in various places around the world where our ancestors drew dinosaur-looking creatures. They look like stegosauruses, for example, and other well known dinos. These drawings are thousands of years old, before paleontology. If humans never coexisted with such creatures, how would they have drawn them or conceived them? They wouldn't have known they ever existed. Maybe dinos got wiped out in the famous flood that sunk the world. Maybe the crater from the asteroid contributed to that flood. As smart as humans are (or aren't), there's no way to truly know. People who believe the simulation theory would say the same.
Thanks for your detailed reply. I honestly think you need to start researching the scientific questions on mainstream university websites where everything is explained to lay people. If you are going to young earth creationist website for your information - you are not going to get an honest or accurate assessment of the evidence. There are reasons why all of your claims and rationalisations are false or you are just misinformed - but since I am not a scientist it is not my job to correct you. It is enough to say I accept the scientific consensus based on my confidence in the scientific method and process by which evidence and findings are evaluated by the scientific community.

As for tinnitus it is such a complex and infuriating condition with so many different causes - not like cancer where there are many cancers but effectively few but quite effective treatments - radiation therapy - chemo etc.

There may be a cure for noise induced tinnitus - but that is not going to help those who don't have noise induced tinnitus. Still it would be a start and help a lot of people. So many people suffer from this condition - I would think there would be a lot of money in it for an effective treatment drug or device.

Sorry, but the the only thing that melts my brain is that you think it's reasonable to refer to the Genesis when trying to understand the universe.

The most objective "truth" we have when it comes to understanding the universe comes from science in form of evidence.

As for tinnitus it is such a complex and infuriating condition with so many different causes - not like cancer where there are many cancers but effectively few but quite effective treatments - radiation therapy - chemo etc.
For primary cancer, yes. While these treatments can help some people survive secondary cancer (metastasis) for decades, there is no way to purge your body of secondary cancer. (Note: While there have been some advances in treating blood cancers, I'm not sure how they relate to secondary cancer.) For instance, lung cancer is extremely likely to metastasize, and diagnosed lung cancer patients have a survival rate of only 18.6 percent after 5 years.

Sorry, but the the only thing that melts my brain is that you think it's reasonable to refer to the Genesis when trying to understand the universe.

The most objective "truth" we have when it comes to understanding the universe comes from science in form of evidence.
I think you and @Stuart-T give people too much credit. They're not as smart as you think. Look at what they used to believe... that the earth was flat, for example. They didn't even know about microbial bacteria until 1676. It's commonly said that our ancestors have existed for 6 million years and modern humans about 200,000. So it took humanity hundreds of thousands of years to figure out this simple stuff, that the earth is a sphere and bacteria exists? I'm not that impressed and you shouldn't be either.

The technological and medical boom didn't occur until the last century, so why we sat around twiddling our thumbs for millennia after millennia is weird. At best, we're a lazy and unmotivated species, but we're probably not that smart either in the big scheme of things. Science is always evolving and should never be stubborn or arrogant in its thinking. The Big Bang Theory and Theory of Evolution provide their own shortcomings and contradictions, too. As I said before, the ultimate folly of humanity is to assume we know everything.

I agree that proven science is irrefutable. I'm not talking about theories. What I said in my previous post backs that up, too. I am simply questioning the nature of time itself. If the universe was born as a 13 billion year old entity, then that doesn't change the fact that its scientific attributes are still true. Why God would've created an old universe instead of a young one makes sense — to expedite the process and allow life to work right away, as intended, rather than waiting billions of years for it to adjust. Why would he want to wait 4 billion years when he could just bypass time to join a mature creation in progress? The Genesis account shows that he did that in multiple ways. If God could create it to begin with, then he could do anything he wants.

The universe is gigantic. Bypassing time would allow all the light of the great expanse to be visible in the sky and through telescopes. We wouldn't even know God's vast creation exists if it wasn't for this bypass in time. We wouldn't be able to see it because of the way light works.

There are a lot of things in this universe that go beyond the realm of scientific understanding, like paranormal events. One time, for example, I saw a picture fly off the wall and a light come unscrewed in an adjacent room, both simultaneously, and phantom voices were heard, too, in the same house. Multiple witnesses saw these things. What does science say about that?

I think you and @Stuart-T give people too much credit. They're not as smart as you think. Look at what they used to believe... that the earth was flat, for example. They didn't even know about microbial bacteria until 1676. It's commonly said that our ancestors have existed for 6 million years and modern humans about 200,000. So it took humanity hundreds of thousands of years to figure out this simple stuff, that the earth is a sphere and bacteria exists? I'm not that impressed and you shouldn't be either.

The technological and medical boom didn't occur until the last century, so why we sat around twiddling our thumbs for millennia after millennia is weird. At best, we're a lazy and unmotivated species, but we're probably not that smart either in the big scheme of things.
What do you think life has been like historically for people when it comes to getting hold of food and providing for one's family to be able to survive? Hardly anytime for thumb-rolling or abstract thinking. Egocentric wars and conflicts (I agree at least parts of humanity often focuses on not so smart things – dragging a lot of people down with them). Add to that diseases and what not.

On top of that our brains might have been "not so smart" until relatively recently. But even if you have a smart brain it has to have time and possibility for dedication to complex studies that on the surface might look pointless.

Summary: In other primate species, the brain areas that comprise the default mode network involve two systems that are not strongly connected to each other. The regions, one responsible for cognitive tasks and the other for the suppression of external events, appear to be only recently linked by evolution. This linkage may have facilitated the capacity for abstract thought that lead to the rapid evolution of human cognitive abilities.

How the Human Brain Evolved to Harness Abstract Thought
Science is always evolving and should never be stubborn or arrogant in its thinking. The Big Bang Theory and Theory of Evolution provide their own shortcomings and contradictions, too.
Still currently the best evidence based explanations we have for life on this planet and the origin of the universe. It's highly unlikely the foundations of evolution will be overthrown – there will be adjustments and new findings but hardly anything that makes us throw it all out the window. A scientific theory is more than "just a theory":

"The way that scientists use the word 'theory' is a little different than how it is commonly used in the lay public," said Jaime Tanner, a professor of biology at Emerson College in Boston. "Most people use the word 'theory' to mean an idea or hunch that someone has, but in science the word 'theory' refers to the way that we interpret facts."

What is a scientific theory?
As I said before, the ultimate folly of humanity is to assume we know everything.
Totally agree on that as do I think the majority of the people conducting science does. If we knew anything there wouldn't be any need for more research, would there? Doesn't take away that the scientific method is the best and most objective way to try and understand the universe.

And it surely doesn't help to look at the Genesis – a book written by people – those you think we shouldn't give too much credit? :) – that didn't help anything when it came to to the "technological and medical boom". What if there would be stuff written there that then was that later confirmed by science? Such as the spherical Earth and existence of microbes. That would have been something.

Also, looking at how recently the "technological and medical boom" happened I think we're moving ahead pretty quickly. I mean 100 years ago it was thought that the Milky Way was the only galaxy in the universe (until Edwin Hubble showed that's not the case). And like you say the knowledge of microbes is just some hundred years old.
I agree that proven science is irrefutable. I'm not talking about theories. What I said in my previous post backs that up, too. I am simply questioning the nature of time itself. If the universe was born as a 13 billion year old entity, then that doesn't change the fact that its scientific attributes are still true. Why God would've created an old universe instead of a young one makes sense — to expedite the process and allow life to work right away, as intended, rather than waiting billions of years for it to adjust. Why would he want to wait 4 billion years when he could just bypass time to join a mature creation in progress? The Genesis account shows that he did that in multiple ways. If God could create it to begin with, then he could do anything he wants.
This is the problem I think; trying to adjust the findings from science to the Genesis. Why? It doesn't help at all, rather muddles one's thinking. "It has to fit". Let's shoehorn it in.

So your saying God "snapped" humanity thing and everything into existence – it didn't have to evolve?
The universe is gigantic. Bypassing time would allow all the light of the great expanse to be visible in the sky and through telescopes. We wouldn't even know God's vast creation exists if it wasn't for this bypass in time. We wouldn't be able to see it because of the way light works.
Not sure what you mean by "Bypassing time would allow all the light of the great expanse to be visible in the sky and through telescopes."

Anyway, why don't you write your ideas down and show them to a physicist who can tell if they are reasonable? :)

We can have all the philosophy of the natural world we want, but until it's possible to test the ideas they are indistinguishable from a fantasy.
There are a lot of things in this universe that go beyond the realm of scientific understanding, like paranormal events. One time, for example, I saw a picture fly off the wall and a light come unscrewed in an adjacent room, both simultaneously, and phantom voices were heard, too, in the same house. Multiple witnesses saw these things. What does science say about that?
Interesting experience. Difficult to know what happened. There are also a lot of things and experiences that people have that might seem weird and unexplainable but then when doing research there's a good explanation for it. Sometimes it's difficult to do that of course and in that case they are part part of what we call the unknown.

And even if there are ghosts and other dimensions I still don't see how it helps to have the Genesis as the reference for anything. If these things exist I don't understand why it seems so difficult to detect them. Are they trying to hide from us?

But maybe have this discussion in another thread. :)

I agree this is for another thread, but I'd just like to add my thoughts to this;
If these things exist I don't understand why it seems so difficult to detect them. Are they trying to hide from us?
These are what we may refer to as metaphysical entities, i.e. things which are beyond (meta) our physical reality. Because these entities are beyond our physical reality, we may not be able to scientifically measure them with physical means. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that it is impossible to assume they exist. I, for example, find the argument from reason pretty compelling, in favor of the metaphysical.

Paranormal activity may be instances of an intersect between our physical reality and a metaphysical one, but of course it's only the physical manifestation that we can observe.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now