• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Tinnitus, The Way Some See It

According to them what you & fishbone say is partially wrong. To truly be habituated is having their tinnitus no longer bother them at all. They can resume doing anything they used to including use of headphones. Theories like no longer living your life and resuming normal activities was simply driven by anxiety and fear. Just change the way you think and *poof* all will be good again.

I never said, that because I am habituated that life is all perfect now. I have never said that once we gain habituation, then tinnitus is not noticed again. I notice my tinnitus all the time and it still annoys me to some degree.

I'd love to see a post where I said "Just change the way you think and *poof* all will be good again".

@bobvann

Bobvann, you are right that I truly want to help people with tinnitus. I do this because I know how debilitating this condition can be. The lack of help, support and understanding that some people receive and also, because I was once helped many years ago by people that were very experienced in tinnitus, at a forum similar to this one.

I do not have any medical qualifications or letters after name. I left school at the age of 16 and began an apprenticeship as a Carpenter and Joiner and passed my City and Guilds and obtained my advanced C&G qualifications. Ever since I can remember, I had a passion for expressing myself through words and liked to write poetry. When I was on a construction site, I'd often sit and write poetry in my lunch break.

In my early 20s I began working in people's homes doing most things concerning carpentry. From repairing box sash windows, hanging doors, building cupboards, installing stairs etc. I liked communicating with people especially women for some reason, as I was able to tune into them quite easily and really understood the way they think on an emotional level and have always found they opened up to me whatever was bothering them. I never forget, one Christmas whilst working in a woman's house we began talking as I fitting a door lock. She became emotional and began pouring her heart out, explaining that her husband had a drink problem although he wasn't violent towards her.

When I had finished fitting the lock we carried on talking and by now she revealed most of her life story. I learned she was devout Christian and remember her saying the Lord was a carpenter. When I was packing up my tools to leave she said: "You should be a doctor as you have a way of talking to people and really understand". I thought it was a nice thing for her to say and have never forgotten her words.

In my 30s I bought a touch typing book and taught myself to type on portable manual typewriter. It was then my interest in writing began to grow. When I got tinnitus and acquired a computer,I found using a flat keyboard much easier than a typewriter, where the keys are in rows and elevated.

Writing emails and communicating in forums has helped me to retain my touch typing skills and enabled me to express myself through words. I have previously mentioned I am an Audiophile something I am very passionate about and regularly write at HI-FI forums. Even though my tinnitus can be intrusive at times, thankfully it hasn't stopped me from enjoying listening to music through speakers. I no longer use headphones which I gave up using 24 years ago when they gave me tinnitus because I was listening to music too loud without realizing it. I haven't missed them once over the years and rarely think back to those days, as that's in the passed and it's best not to dwell on them.

The word habituation means to get used to something or learn to live with it. That is my definition when I describe my tinnitus. I am not cured of this condition but I have habituated and I am quite content, even at times when my tinnitus is severe and intrusive.

I am advising you to please think carefully before trying the Lenire device. Someone I used to know that had Noise induced tinnitus, used it and their tinnitus became worse. I advised this person not to use it but understand they felt desperate. This person's tinnitus grew louder two weeks after using this device. Each person is different so it may help you. However, Lenire plays audio tones through headphones and for this reason, I advise anyone with Noise induced tinnitus to be careful using any tinnitus treatment where sound is played through headphones. White noise generators and hearing aids are designed differently and will not usually irritate the auditory system in most people. I know at the moment your WNGs cause you irritation, but if you follow my advice I think you will be able to use them eventually.

I strongly advise you not to play drums even when you habituate to your tinnitus. Loud sounds and tinnitus do not go well together.

Michael
Impressive life! This is what I am saying, the old community said that if truly habituated it should not matter and many habituated without the use of WNG's finding them more of an obstacle. Like drumming I will figure out pretty quickly for myself if WNG's will help or not. @fishbone apologies. I think you misunderstood. What I meant to say is how different the message is from that community's version of habituated is versus what you & Michael are saying which I think is far more realistic vs fantasy. That tinnitus is till bothersome and intrusive but found ways to live with it.

I never said, that because I am habituated that life is all perfect now. I have never said that once we gain habituation, then tinnitus is not noticed again. I notice my tinnitus all the time and it still annoys me to some degree.

I'd love to see a post where I said "Just change the way you think and *poof* all will be good again".

@bobvann

If you want to know what it means to habituate to tinnitus, then I advise that you read Fishbone's posts and there are many. He has many years experience with tinnitus and what he doesn't know about this condition will be able to fit the back of a postage stamp.

Michael

Michael can a person get severe tinnitus if the person has no hearing loss? If yes, is it more unusual?

I got no hearing loss but got scared when I see some have it.

@bobvann

If you want to know what it means to habituate to tinnitus, then I advise that you read Fishbone's posts and there are many. He has many years experience with tinnitus and what he doesn't know about this condition will be able to fit the back of a postage stamp.

Michael

Been dealing with tinnitus and it's chores for 32 years. From the first day I got it, I wanted to find ways to live my life with it. It's been a life long process, always learning and always trying to find ways to live life with tinnitus. I did NOT have TT, I did not have mentors with years of experience answering my questions and helping me out, which I WISH I DID.

If mentors were helping me and answering my questions, then I'd not have severe tinnitus and horrible hearing loss.

Never take it for granted folks, never.

People like myself and many others come here just to help.I had no one, just people that mocked me, laughed at me and said that that noise was just a figment of my imagination.
I was labeled many times, because I told people that my ears were ringing. It's been a tough ride and still is.

HI @Greg Sacramento

Thank you for your well written and informative post. I am very sorry to know the problems that your BP has caused and hope your doctors will be able to do something that can help as there is always hope. I have had BP since my early 30s and thankfully, it hasn't caused any problems and hope this continues. I take medication to keep it under control and have regular blood tests to check the effects of the medication and my kidneys. Some people with tinnitus and have BP will not take their medication regularly for fear of making the tinnitus worse. I believe this is not wise as they risk: heart attack, stroke and kidney failure. My BP medicine is listed as can cause ringing in the ears. I haven't noticed any increase in the tinnitus and have been taking it for quite some time.

Hope you are able to get some help.
Take care
Michael
I have been on BP medication for about 10 years too. It has never caused any ear ringing and has zero effect on my tinnitus.

Michael can a person get severe tinnitus if the person has no hearing loss? If yes, is it more unusual?

I got no hearing loss but got scared when I see some have it.

HI @Momme

Whenever you wish to contact me please write my name as @Michael Leigh then I will receive an alert message. I have seen your question just by chance.

A person can get severe tinnitus with or without hearing loss as in my case. When I first got tinnitus 24 years ago and seen at ENT and had tests. Even though the tinnitus was very severe I had no hearing loss.

Hope this helps.
Michael

HI @Momme

Whenever you wish to contact me please write my name as @Michael Leigh then I will receive an alert message. I have seen your question just by chance.

A person can get severe tinnitus with or without hearing loss as in my case. When I first got tinnitus 24 years ago and seen at ENT and had tests. Even though the tinnitus was very severe I had no hearing loss.

Hope this helps.
Michael
@Michael Leigh
Can you check my thread in "Introduce Yourself" and reply? The thread is called "Head Tinnitus"

Thank you Michael!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now