2020 US Presidential Election

My religious zealot parent is praying that GOD and his angels guide Donald Trump and the Republican party to victory in 2020. She is on her knee's right now in front of a TV screen with Fox News covering the election praying for Trump to win.

This was my upbringing
I don't get it. There is no god -- we are just a bunch of lifeless meatballs, he said.

All the polls are wrong - a repeat of 2016. The polls are taken by the Corrupt in the Media. Trump rallies tells the story. A landslide victory.

Kamala screwed her way into politics. Biden is corrupted. Not good.

Trump is the only one who cares about people. He is not a politician but there for America only.

MAGA.

When there existed the possibility that Elizabeth "Pocahontas" Warren would become the Democratic VP candidate I was dismayed, but she's got nothing on Harris, as far as being a totally inappropriate choice.

All the polls are wrong - a repeat of 2016. The polls are taken by the Corrupt in the Media. Trump rallies tells the story. A landslide victory.

Trump is the only one who cares about people. He is not a politician but there for America only.

MAGA.
I don't think either candidate cares about people but the liberals here won't acknowledge that about the Democrats. They also don't care what I post because they are too cowardly and hypocritical to address my points. Instead, some have whined about presumed 'insults' or blocked me because they can't debate/discuss anything that is contrary to their viewpoint. If it's someone who is simply "pro-Trump' such as you or Lilah, they can do that because they can muster up that. They are as predictable as they are hypocritical. Have fun with their rebuttals to yours.

The problem is, you're only getting the anti-Trump leftist side of the news. If Trump was as bad as they tell you, why would he have so many supporters?

The charges of racism are ramped up and amplified due to a few bad cops who have been kept on the force, until they killed people unjustly. This is because the liberals will not put an end to the police unions that foster such behavior - and until they do, it will keep on happening. No politician, Democrat or Republican, would dare say this, because the unions will unite against them.

By continually telling Blacks that they cannot survive without programs meant to advance them, in order to win votes and create useless bureaucracies, the lying Democrat liberals are setting them up for failure. We have many generations of people living in poverty simply because they believe that no matter what they do or how hard they work, they're doomed to failure. Trump did more to reduce Black unemployment than any president in history, but CNN won't tell you that - they'd prefer to talk about a tiny group of suburban kids numbering less than 200, called the Proud Boys, as a threat to the country. It's a disgrace and I sincerely hope that Trump wins this election. But, with the stupidity and lies that are swallowed by the chumps that many have become, the winners will probably be Biden and the whore.
Even if we got a leftist view of what's really going on, I find it beneath a president's standing what he's saying and tweeting.
I strongly suspect that it's a much higher percentage than we in the USA pay.
That's probably not to be compared. This forum is littered with stories of people spending loads of money on their tinnitus and being restricted by the high costs of seeing ENT's or getting hearing aids. I guess it's about what you get in return.
America is the birthplace of democracy, we are very self sufficient and independent minded, which seems to irk much of the rest of the world. The typical European is used to being coddled by a nanny state, and for some reason highly resents those who do not prefer it for themselves.
History goes back more than 500 years. America is most definitely not the birthplace of democracy. Nor would I call it one nowadays.

Self-sufficient? What about having most of your production moved overseas?

The nanny state, as it is starting to develop in Europe, is the antipode of freedom. I call it the "caution,wet floor!" kind of thinking where there has to be a solution to every problem, whether or not it is solvable, because else, someone has to be responsible, ergo, be sued into submission. This kind of culture is coming from America. Luckily it's still some ways off. But guilty until proven otherwise, I would not call that freedom. Or being able to vote for just 2 parties.

https://www.sundayguardianlive.com/world/13-keys-spell-doom-trump-allan-lichtman
(he got Bush wrong because of the electoral college)
upload_2020-10-30_7-15-16.png

Trump will lose he says.

The European media is probably like any left-wing outlet in the U.S. (i.e., CNN, MSBNC, NPR, NYT, etc.) or perhaps even worse, so it is understandable why people with only these options believe Trump is the worst president. These people have become brainwashed.
Your choice of words gives away that you consider left-wing as worse.
Maybe there are no prominent "mainstream" conservative outlets in Europe? European "fringe" right-wing media (comprising of NeoNazi views, for example) is not comparable to mainstream outlets relied upon by most conservatives here such as Fox News and BreitBart. Maybe "fringe" right-wing media is the only conservative option in Europe? Or, the better question would be, is there an equivalent of Fox News or BreitBart in Europe?
Media will always give a one-sided view of the truth. Here also, there are many news channels who give priority to spectacular news and sensation, instilling fear, and thus helping to popularize the conservative parties who a.o. promise to put a cap on immigration etc...
Make no mistake, most of Europe is moving towards right-wing governments.

The biggest problem you have in America is the two-party system. This dramatically restricts the freedom for new ideas and the potential for a paradigm shift. As they say in South Park, you have the choice between a douche and a turd. Your options are very limited, and I think your entire system needs revolutionising.

An original thinker with new ideas is forced to be a part of one of only two parties, which means their ideas will be blunted and/or reshaped by the current political establishment. A multi-party system would be much better and would allow more freedom of expression.

The other problem is the rampant lobbying by huge organisations, but this goes on in all countries. It allows for politicians to be used as puppets.

Sorry my noise is screaming in my left ear atm and makes me irritable. I think it's TMD but cannot be certain.

<3 I'm really sorry to hear that, days like that suck, I hope it passes for you soon

Some may not like your frequent use of the f word.
some people can dislike whatever the f they want, and they are welcome to tell me about it or put me on ignore.

I dislike people using low-effort gendered insults against women. Especially when we're talking about a woman who cut her teeth as a vicious federal prosecutor who did a substantial number of documented things which directly hurt low income people and minorities. So, there's about fifteen really good, cutting insults I can think of that actually attack the character of Harris; this person opted for the suuuuuper low effort "attack her with a gendered insult that has no basis in reality, because she's a woman and that's easier than thinking critically and attacking her on her record".

In 2020, I will never shut up about this, so people will either not use such terms to me, or I'll continue to type small diatribes about it, something I'm happy to do more or less ceaselessly.

I will, generally, disengage from people who repeatedly fall back on non-factual talking points, or only know how to insult their detractors and political rivals in terms of gendered, nonfactual or other wise "obviously wrong" ideas.

There is a scene in Roxanne where a low-intelligence person insults Steve Martin by calling him "Big Nose", and Martin's response is "Big Nose? That's the best you can do?!" -- he then proceeds to give off a list of 20 self-effacing insults which are much more cutting, and, well, on the nose than "Big Nose".

That's what "Biden and the Whore" makes me think -- this is a tremendously lazy way to squander a perfectly acceptable place to get in a much funnier, or at least factual, cheap shot, such as:

"#ACAB and the old white whale"

"Biden and the turncoat prosecutor"

"Biden and that person who's putting a fresh coat of progressive paint on their history as a regressive cop protector"

"Biden and that woman who really fucked up a bunch of people's lives for punitive reasons with draconian laws"

etc etc. Attack people on their record and actions, fine, even if I don't agree. Attack someone on their gender? Lazy, and implies a lack of a cogent argument. Especially since I know luman hates police unions and crooked cops -- there was a ton of ground here to say something slightly meaningful and not just advertise "Hey, I am someone who calls women I don't like whores for no other reason than it's a male power word". That's something my shitty great grandpa woulda done, thank god he's dead!

edit: here's the scene from Roxanne. An amazing movie still in 2020, even if based on a problematic premise of deceiving a woman in order to have sex with her ;)

And BLM rioting? Blacks killing other blacks and also whites? Governments and other politicians do nothing and say nothing. Instead, you pathetic Americans whine about white supremacist boogeyman. You brainwashed ones should feel ashamed.
Hello, Daniel, can you tell me why you clicked 'friendly?'

@Daniel Lion

Am I supposed to know why or what you mean?

MAGA.
It's difficult to know. Either way, it doesn't really matter. IMHO, FWIW.

The biggest problem you have in America is the two-party system. This dramatically restricts the freedom for new ideas and the potential for a paradigm shift. As they say in South Park, you have the choice between a douche and a turd. Your options are very limited, and I think your entire system needs revolutionising.

An original thinker with new ideas is forced to be a part of one of only two parties, which means their ideas will be blunted and/or reshaped by the current political establishment. A multi-party system would be much better and would allow more freedom of expression.

The other problem is the rampant lobbying by huge organisations, but this goes on in all countries. It allows for politicians to be used as puppets.
I know you won't agree with me and maybe I am on ignore. My two cents is that the electorate supports this system. They prove it by voting for one of the two candidates. My impression here is that most of the regular posters here are more left than either candidates, maybe even communists. They probably support Sanders? But, supporting either current candidate is supporting the status quo. Regardless of your political allegiances, this 'go out and vote' propaganda message is tiresome to me. I used to believe in this 'democratic duty' message when I didn't know any better but not now. It's just propaganda to continue the flawed system. A forum post is too brief and generic to explain it. Even if most of you disagree, I think it's difficult to deny that a lot of these often repeated messages are faulty and meant to continue support for the status quo. "If you didn't vote, you don't have a voice or then you shouldn't get to complain..." etc. is the biggest crock of crap. Even if you participate with abstain votes, your vote still didn't matter. It still didn't do much. So what, there's a record that some small number of people didn't like any of the candidates. When so many follow the sheep, even if you object, it doesn't matter in the end. Right?

It also doesn't matter when you have a condition like (severe) tinnitus and NONE of the candidates care about you or your condition. None represent you or stand up for you. It might be a microeconomic view but the issue is so serious and centric to you (us) that we have no choice. Right?

<3 I'm really sorry to hear that, days like that suck, I hope it passes for you soon

some people can dislike whatever the f they want, and they are welcome to tell me about it or put me on ignore.

I dislike people using low-effort gendered insults against women. Especially when we're talking about a woman who cut her teeth as a vicious federal prosecutor who did a substantial number of documented things which directly hurt low income people and minorities. So, there's about fifteen really good, cutting insults I can think of that actually attack the character of Harris; this person opted for the suuuuuper low effort "attack her with a gendered insult that has no basis in reality, because she's a woman and that's easier than thinking critically and attacking her on her record".

In 2020, I will never shut up about this, so people will either not use such terms to me, or I'll continue to type small diatribes about it, something I'm happy to do more or less ceaselessly.

I will, generally, disengage from people who repeatedly fall back on non-factual talking points, or only know how to insult their detractors and political rivals in terms of gendered, nonfactual or other wise "obviously wrong" ideas.

There is a scene in Roxanne where a low-intelligence person insults Steve Martin by calling him "Big Nose", and Martin's response is "Big Nose? That's the best you can do?!" -- he then proceeds to give off a list of 20 self-effacing insults which are much more cutting, and, well, on the nose than "Big Nose".

That's what "Biden and the Whore" makes me think -- this is a tremendously lazy way to squander a perfectly acceptable place to get in a much funnier, or at least factual, cheap shot, such as:

"#ACAB and the old white whale"

"Biden and the turncoat prosecutor"

"Biden and that person who's putting a fresh coat of progressive paint on their history as a regressive cop protector"

"Biden and that woman who really fucked up a bunch of people's lives for punitive reasons with draconian laws"

etc etc. Attack people on their record and actions, fine, even if I don't agree. Attack someone on their gender? Lazy, and implies a lack of a cogent argument. Especially since I know luman hates police unions and crooked cops -- there was a ton of ground here to say something slightly meaningful and not just advertise "Hey, I am someone who calls women I don't like whores for no other reason than it's a male power word". That's something my shitty great grandpa woulda done, thank god he's dead!
I've been thinking the same thing, although not nearly as intelligently. Harris is not like some perfect politician. She's, honestly, pretty easy to criticize. Chalking her up as just a whore is really gross and is essentially textbook misogyny.

It's kind of funny that Trump supporters cry about how unfair it is how everyone calls them racists and sexists. Yet they clearly are.

When I consider Donald Trump, what I see is a person who divides, who attacks others, who is racist, who does not contribute... I cannot really say anything good about Donald Trump.
100% agree. I can say at least a few good things about some of our other candidates and select former presidents.

Well, the discourse in the US is that it is the country of freedom. However, when one looks at police brutality, racism, generalised use of weapons etc... it's hard to believe there is much freedom.

In order to be free everyone should be treated equally, at least by the police, by the government, and the use of force by the government, implemented by the police.

What countries do you think exemplify your last paragraph perfectly, though? The US has huge problems with institutional class-warfare, and then institutional racism and political polarity being used as tools to keep people divided along ethnic and 3rd-rail-policy-issues (guns, abortion) when actually these people should be aligned along the financial interests of "we're all getting screwed by the same 0.5% of assholes at the very top".

I think the US has massive problems with violence, specifically guns, not seen in other Western countries, because of our strange history as a violent country violently built by slaves and them almost immediately ripped to shreds by a bloody civil war we've never recovered from. In terms of our healthcare, I see us as a declining or even second world power. But, in a lot of ways -- America is still exceptional. For every head getting ground under a fash boot right now, I can identify good things happening elsewhere.

More or less I see America as a country deeply embroiled in a war over its cultural identity, as we shift from being a majority white, majority christian nation to a majority nonwhite, nonchristian nation. I like all sorts of people so this is fine with me but it scares the shit out of the regressives. Obama on TV for 8 years was salt in the wound and now we have 7% of the country believing QAnon is real.

I have no idea where all this is headed; seems real bad.

Your choice of words gives away that you consider left-wing as worse.

Media will always give a one-sided view of the truth. Here also, there are many news channels who give priority to spectacular news and sensation, instilling fear, and thus helping to popularize the conservative parties who a.o. promise to put a cap on immigration etc...
Make no mistake, most of Europe is moving towards right-wing governments.
Sorry, but that's false. You are flabbergasted, right? How can I say that, right? What is your definition of right-wing? I don't know about your definition (for Europe), but for me, a right wing party would want several changes:
* Leave EU/Euro and become sovereign
* No more foreign aid; it would be zero
* No choosing sides in foreign conflicts - e.g. Ukraine/Russia; Israel/Palestinians/ME etc. - I.e. be neutral
* Immigration at 0; repatriation/deportation of criminals/illegals
*Ddismantling of leftist pc programmes
* Increased support whether financial or otherwise of healthcare including disability (right-wing cares about their people contrary to lies from left)
* Stricter animal rights legislation

Those are just some examples.

I don't think ANY traditional right wing parties have any platforms like that. It would be considered "extremist."

MAGA.
He's been in politics for 5 years now. I'm pretty sure that makes him a politician.

Can you elaborate? Genuine question. Watching it through the prism of European media coverage, it's really hard not to think Donald Trump has been the worst president, bar none. It baffles me to this day how desensitized people have become to the bigotry and perpetual contradiction. I was standing on the barricades against the war in Iraq when I was 18. This guy makes George Bush Jr. look good in comparison.
Did Trump get the US in a bogus war by lying? Liberals don't like the word "conspiracy " but it wasn't Bush alone who by itself, set up this false narrative, this lie, to involve the US in another war, right?

I am on (some might say "far") the right but I agree with liberals, Bush Jr was scum and his father wasn't much better. But, Trump is just continuing the status quo with foreign politics, isn't he? I don't see him fighting the Military Industrial Complex but not really furthering an agenda in a controversial shady way either. Unless? Is there something he's doing or has done that challenges this?

Did Trump get the US in a bogus war by lying? Liberals don't like the word "conspiracy " but it wasn't Bush alone who by itself, set up this false narrative, this lie, to involve the US in another war, right?

I am on (some might say "far") the right but I agree with liberals, Bush Jr was scum and his father wasn't much better. But, Trump is just continuing the status quo with foreign politics, isn't he? I don't see him fighting the Military Industrial Complex but not really furthering an agenda in a controversial shady way either. Unless? Is there something he's doing or has done that challenges this?
One thing that's important to note on this is is that while Trump hasn't started new conflict, he has gone out of his way to keep existing conflict going even when Congress tried to stop it. The best example of this is that Congress actually passed a bill to end American involvement in the Yemeni conflict but Trump vetoed it, becoming one of his only vetos to date.

He's been in politics for 5 years now. I'm pretty sure that makes him a politician.
He probably means career politician?
One thing that's important to note on this is is that while Trump hasn't started new conflict, he has gone out of his way to keep existing conflict going even when Congress tried to stop it. The best example of this is that Congress actually passed a bill to end American involvement in the Yemeni conflict but Trump vetoed it, becoming one of his only vetos to date.
I don't disagree but I think Trump is just doing what he's told. I explained this before on this site but no one listens.

What countries do you think exemplify your last paragraph perfectly, though?
I think most European countries do not have the problems of police brutality that are recurrent in the US. And that's only one example of racial discrimination in the US. In Europe society tends to be more tolerant, and I think there is more equality and more freedom (although ironically it is the US that sells itself as "the country of freedom").

Shifting now on to economics, in the US there are landlords missing rent payments due to COVID-19, and not being able to evict their tenants. This is somehow unique, as other countries have also tried to announce similar measures, but the practical effect is almost non-existent, whereas in the US landlords do not get rent and cannot evict. Is that freedom? Is that constitutional? How does that agree with the fact that in the US there aren't many restrictions to stop COVID-19 that have been implemented in other countries, like lockdowns or restrictions to mobility? I mean... if the discourse is "there's no need for lockdown", then why can't landlords evict?

This was just an example, and does not mean I am in favour or against evictions, it is just to illustrate the absolute lack of leadership in the US, because what the government is doing does not make sense at all.
I think the US has massive problems with violence, specifically guns
Switzerland has a pretty high ratio of gun ownership too, but it is one of the safest countries in the world.
In terms of our healthcare, I see us as a declining or even second world power.
As for healthcare, we have first hand experience about suffering from conditions that cannot be treated like tinnitus or, even worse, hyperacusis. My view on this is in the US doctors tend to label things a lot more, and in more elaborate and creative ways... they will say "you have cochlear synaptopathy" for instance. But the bottom line is treatments in the US are just the same treatments available anywhere else: no effective treatment.

Also, I think under Trump universities and research have suffered; I don't think the right incentives have been used to foster research and medical investigation, and that's very sad.

* Leave EU/Euro and become sovereign
Yes, I believe that's on the longterm agenda of most right-wing parties. Some want more local independence first (Basque, Flemish, Northern Italy...)
* No more foreign aid; it would be zero
* No choosing sides in foreign conflicts - e.g. Ukraine/Russia; Israel/Palestinians/ME etc. - I.e. be neutral
* Immigration at 0; repatriation/deportation of criminals/illegals
This is regulated by the EU, so they would have to leave the EU before being able to decide upon such a thing. It would obviously come with economical drawbacks. And frankly it's not very moral.
*Ddismantling of leftist pc programmes
I had no idea there was such a thing as leftist pc programmes. Can't comment.
* Increased support whether financial or otherwise of healthcare including disability (right-wing cares about their people contrary to lies from left)
I don't get that impression.
I am not a statistic expert, you'd need Bill Bauer for that. It seems to me, when somebody 92 years old dies, and happens to have coronavirus, it's nearly impossible to say, "He/she died from coronavirus.", meaning that they would not have died if not for coronavirus. This causes all kinds of problems with the data, as to the rates of death from coronavirus.

We now have lower rates in NYC now than almost anywhere, and the numbers are changing.

https://nyulangone.org/news/study-helps-explain-declines-death-rates-covid-19
Excess mortality is a good indicator. It's never going to be exact. You don't have to examine each single case via autopsy. It's likely there have been some people counted as COVID-19-casualties, but what does it all matter? We're talking thousands and thousands of deaths in every country, so excess mortality rates are as close an approximation as we can have.

I know you won't agree with me and maybe I am on ignore. My two cents is that the electorate supports this system. They prove it by voting for one of the two candidates. My impression here is that most of the regular posters here are more left than either candidates, maybe even communists. They probably support Sanders? But, supporting either current candidate is supporting the status quo. Regardless of your political allegiances, this 'go out and vote' propaganda message is tiresome to me. I used to believe in this 'democratic duty' message when I didn't know any better but not now. It's just propaganda to continue the flawed system. A forum post is too brief and generic to explain it. Even if most of you disagree, I think it's difficult to deny that a lot of these often repeated messages are faulty and meant to continue support for the status quo. "If you didn't vote, you don't have a voice or then you shouldn't get to complain..." etc. is the biggest crock of crap. Even if you participate with abstain votes, your vote still didn't matter. It still didn't do much. So what, there's a record that some small number of people didn't like any of the candidates. When so many follow the sheep, even if you object, it doesn't matter in the end. Right?

It also doesn't matter when you have a condition like (severe) tinnitus and NONE of the candidates care about you or your condition. None represent you or stand up for you. It might be a microeconomic view but the issue is so serious and centric to you (us) that we have no choice. Right?

Why do you think I'd have you on ignore? I don't have anyone on ignore. I like to know what people have to say and what they think and believe. I don't particularly like places that are too one-sided or echo-chamber like.

Our beliefs are shaped by our life's experiences. If we could walk in another person's shoes then I'm sure our view of the world would change, and so would our inner narrative. We are all products of our environment and upbringing, and in this respect, it is often difficult to think objectively about a situation. We are creatures who are largely driven by passion and emotion more than knowledge and reason.

Do you think your view of the world would be the same if you grew up starving everyday in a third world country? Many of us here don't realise how privileged we really are, but we all have the right to an opinion.

I agree that the electoral system needs reforming. I think it's outdated and doesn't help or benefit society as much as it could. There has to be a better way. Also, reducing the influence of powerful lobbyists would be virtually impossible at this point, I think.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now