2020 US Presidential Election

I did address the terrorist statement and asked if the one mentioned was a foreign based terrorist, or a home grown nut job.
And I answered your question.
It was a homegrown, conservative, Trump supporting nutjob.

Your claim that there has been no terrorism against Americans during Trump's watch is 100% objectively false.

And I answered your question.
It was a homegrown, conservative, Trump supporting nutjob.

Your claim that there has been no terrorism against Americans during Trump's watch is 100% objectively false.
Is a mass murderer the same thing as a terrorist, associated with an actual movement? If somebody had been a supporter of Obama, and killed a few dozen people, would you blame Obama for it? Of course you wouldn't, if you like Obama.

Democrats get a bad rap for being weak and passive on foreign policy but consider that Bush put up the mission accomplished banner while it was under Obama's watch that we actually got Bin Laden. And drone or no drone warfare, Obama won the Nobel peace prize. Trump got a bogus nomination that didn't go that far. Democrats aren't perfect but the majority of criticism of the democrats is some form of strawman argument and the worst part about Democrats is they don't pushback on those caricatures, like how they accepted the pivot of the word liberal into an epithet and now try to use the euphemism "progressive" instead. The GOP win because they hit below the belt. If not for COVID-19 Trump probably would have won and largely on the backs of his falsehoods and strawman fearmongering arguments, the same sort that are now cluttering up this thread as MAGA NPCs merely parrot what they've been told.

A statement that Rudy deserves to have COVID-19 says nothing about him, but a lot about the person who said it.

It hasn't been mentioned in a while so I thought I would say something. Kamala Harris has had sex before.

Thanks Glenn, interesting post :).

[...] a disaffected demographic losing its grip on the reigns of power (typically white, rural, older).

That is what confuses me. This group is typically old, and their number is only going to get smaller. Why aren't the GOP trying to modernize and get young people on-board, rather than potentially giving themselves this terrible legacy for future generations?

It's a slippery slope situation where the GOP is not really consciously aware of how far they've drifted.

Is this right though? They can't all be this unaware and still know their own name, surely?

@Born To Slay did point out that it's quite usual in America for both sides to contest the results of the election and claim fraud. From across the pond it looks like a really frightening situation, but maybe it isn't if you're actually American and we're just hearing more about it here because Trump is a bit of a big mouth :).

Thanks Glenn, interesting post :).

That is what confuses me. This group is typically old, and their number is only going to get smaller. Why aren't the GOP trying to modernize and get young people on-board, rather than potentially giving themselves this terrible legacy for future generations?

Is this right though? They can't all be this unaware and still know their own name, surely?

@Born To Slay did point out that it's quite usual in America for both sides to contest the results of the election and claim fraud. From across the pond it looks like a really frightening situation, but maybe it isn't if you're actually American and we're just hearing more about it here because Trump is a bit of a big mouth :).
Yeah that's how I'd put it as an American and political junkie. Biden will get sworn in and everything will be final. There's no cause for concern here.

If the Democrats had not supported rioting and terrorizing the nation during the worst health crisis in 100 years, and had they picked a worthwhile person to be the VP candidate, it would not have been this bad to see Biden elected. Under the circumstances, though, it's a disgrace.

Is a mass murderer the same thing as a terrorist, associated with an actual movement?
I feel like you're missing my point here: A politically motivated act of Mass Murder is an act of Terrorism. Which is exactly what the El Paso Walmart shooting was.
? If somebody had been a supporter of Obama, and killed a few dozen people, would you blame Obama for it? Of course you wouldn't, if you like Obama.
If said murders were their expression support for Obama, then yes I would.

Ok, let's look past this one example since I doubt we'll agree on this.

How about those guys who plotted to kidnap and (likely) murder Gov Whitmer? Wouldn't such an act be an act of Terrorsim? Or the bombs sent to Trump critics?

Why aren't the GOP trying to modernize
The young skew left and are more ethnically diverse. How exactly can the old guard appeal to them without stepping on the third rail of inviolate wedge issues like global warming denial, anti-abortion, anti-gay rights, gun culture, etc...

You can't.
it's quite usual in America for both sides to contest the results of the election and claim fraud.
Not like this. It should be obvious to everyone that how Trump handled the election is unprecedented, everything from planning his scheme ahead of time by demographically sifting voters into Dem->mail-in and GOP-in-person and then claiming ahead of time that mail-in votes were automatically suspect. He knew he was going to lose and telegraphed his strategy every step of the way and then did exactly what people expected him to do and yet his base still don't realize they are being played (currently to the tune of over 200 mil in bogus donations to Trump's get-out-of-debt-free fund).

How about those guys who plotted to kidnap and (likely) murder Gov Whitmer? Wouldn't such an act be an act of Terrorsim? Or the bombs sent to Trump critics?
One person's terrorist is another person's freedom-fighter. Trump nationalists who have put party over country see such people as "patriots". This is why if/when Biden swears in it's NOT the end of it. 70+ million people who have been so thoroughly radicalized are dangerous. If anything, Trump holding out hope of a reversal of the election have temporarily mollified them. Once Biden actually assumes power (God-forbid with the senate on his side if the runoff elections go that way), well, it could get ugly.

A large percentage of the reason why Trump is popular with so many, is the economy. 401K's and IRA's have done fantastic. Don't give me this nonsense about Trump voters being "dangerous", because it's exactly the opposite. The Trump voters are peaceful citizens who want jobs, economic growth, freedom and relative peace and security. Whether Biden does as well as Trump has, is the question. The civilized people have done nothing, in the wake of Biden winning. Everybody knows what would have happened if he (Biden) had lost, all hell would have broken loose. The Democrats should thank their lucky stars the type of violent methods they use, have not been used against them because, and I hope it never comes to this, the Trump supporters could easily wipe up the streets with the Democrats' useful idiots, if necessary.

A large percentage of the reason why Trump is popular with so many, is the economy. 401K's and IRA's have done fantastic. Don't give me this nonsense about Trump voters being "dangerous", because it's exactly the opposite. The Trump voters are peaceful citizens who want jobs, economic growth, freedom and relative peace and security. Whether Biden does as well as Trump has, is the question. The civilized people have done nothing, in the wake of Biden winning. Everybody knows what would have happened if he (Biden) had lost, all hell would have broken loose. The Democrats should thank their lucky stars the type of violent methods they use, have not been used against them because, and I hope it never comes to this, the Trump supporters could easily wipe up the streets with the Democrats' useful idiots, if necessary.
Lol, pls. The Trump voters are the biggest whiny little bitches the world has ever seen. They're the real snowflakes and they'd get their asses kicked right back to their OANN safe space.

Lol, pls. The Trump voters are the biggest whiny little bitches the world has ever seen. They're the real snowflakes and they'd get their asses kicked right back to their OANN safe space.
You think that they are "whiney", and "snowflakes"? Do you really think that if it came to an actual conflict between the two sides that the Democrats would win? Do you realize what you are saying? And if you don't know, I'm not even going to bother telling you. Ask some bookmakers what the odds would likely be, if such a nightmare occurred. . :LOL:

The Democrats are failing to resonate with working class voters. I've been saying this for five or more years. I have done very well with Trump as president. Apparently 74 million people agreed with me, at the polls.

NYT-Headers-N-TheMorning%402x.png
December 7, 2020

David-Leonhardt-Headshot-The-Morning-blogSmallThumb-v3.png
By David Leonhardt

Good morning. We're looking at Democrats' biggest weakness, and why it matters in Georgia.

The Bronx vs. Manhattan
The Democratic Party's biggest problem today is its struggle to win over working-class voters.

After President Trump's 2016 victory, some political analysts argued that this problem was really all about racism. And Trump's appeals to white nationalism certainly won him votes.

But it's also clear that the Democrats' weakness with working-class voters — defined roughly as people without a four-year college degree — is not only about race. Many Trump voters, after all, voted for Barack Obama in 2012, which suggests they're not incorrigible racists.

Perhaps even more telling is the shape of this year's results. Not only did Trump again win by huge margins among working-class whites, but he also fared better among Hispanic voters than he did in 2016. Black voters strongly backed Democrats again, but their turnout appears to have risen less than turnout for other groups.

All of which points to the same issue: The Democratic message is failing to resonate with many working-class Americans.

If the Democrats' struggles were really all about racism, several heavily Mexican-American counties in South Texas would not have swung to the Republicans this year. Nor would Trump have increased his vote share in the New York boroughs of Queens and the Bronx by about 10 percentage points versus 2016. He appears to have won a higher share of the vote in the Bronx, which is only 9 percent non-Hispanic white, than in affluent Manhattan, which is 47 percent white, Dave Wasserman of The Cook Political Report pointed out.

This pattern leaves Democrats needing to attract a lot votes in traditionally Republican suburbs to win many elections. That's a narrow path to victory. Georgia — where two runoffs on Jan. 5 will determine control of the Senate — is a good case study.

Joe Biden was the only Democrat to win statewide this year, mostly because he made bigger gains in the Atlanta suburbs than other members of the party. Biden and other Democrats were crushed in heavily white rural areas, often winning less than 30 percent of the vote, and also fell short of their 2016 margins among Hispanic voters. "The Black share of the electorate fell to its lowest level since 2006," according to a Times analysis of Georgia.

How can Democrats do better with the working-class? It's not an easy question. (Left-leaning parties in Europe are having similar struggles.)

But there are some hints. Many working-class voters, across racial groups, are moderate to conservative on social issues: They are religious, favor well-funded police departments and support some restrictions on both abortion and immigration. On economic issues, by contrast, they tend to back Democratic positions, like a higher minimum wage and expanded government health care.

For Democrats to do better with the working class, they probably need to moderate their liberal image on social issues — and double down on economic populism.

You think that they are "whiney", and "snowflakes"? Do you really think that if it came to an actual conflict between the two sides that the Democrats would win? Do you realize what you are saying? And if you don't know, I'm not even going to bother telling you. Ask some bookmakers what the odds would likely be, if such a nightmare occurred. . :LOL:
Well let's see, there's more Democrats than Republicans, and democratic counties make up about 70% of GDP. Democrats not only have a population advantage but they live in dense cities where there's safety in numbers.

Well let's see, there's more Democrats than Republicans, and democratic counties make up about 70% of GDP. Democrats not only have a population advantage but they live in dense cities where there's safety in numbers.
They'd better huddle together in cities, for safety, because your "whiny snowflake" Republicans includes more military and police, who are likely not going to stand by and allow the avowed Marxist Revolutionaries and other Democratic useful idiots, to win. As for the rest of them, the gun ownership is about two to one, in favor of Republicans.

Gun ownership, by party affiliation U.S. 2020
Published by Statista Research Department, Nov 18, 2020
In the United States in 2020, 50 percent of Republicans reported that they owned at least one gun, and 64 percent said that they lived in a household with a gun. In comparison, only 18 percent of Democrats owned at least one gun, and 31 percent lived a gun household.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/623418/gun-ownership-in-the-us-by-education-level/

What's with Republicans that like LARPing so much? Talking about overthrowing the Democrats in an imaginary civil war all the time with their pea shooters, yet best they have done was cosplayed as a discounted version of Rambo or their favourite characters from Call of Duty.

They'd better huddle together in cities, for safety, because your "whiny snowflake" Republicans includes more military and police, who are likely not going to stand by and allow the avowed Marxist Revolutionaries and other Democratic useful idiots, to win. As for the rest of them, the gun ownership is about two to one, in favor of Republicans.

Gun ownership, by party affiliation U.S. 2020
Published by Statista Research Department, Nov 18, 2020
In the United States in 2020, 50 percent of Republicans reported that they owned at least one gun, and 64 percent said that they lived in a household with a gun. In comparison, only 18 percent of Democrats owned at least one gun, and 31 percent lived a gun household.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/623418/gun-ownership-in-the-us-by-education-level/
For now, but with 70% of America's GDP being in blue areas, we'll just buy weapons. And then we'll start buying food from overseas and bankrupt rural America. Doesn't seem too hard honestly.

Not to mention in a civil war the federal government might fall and if it does, it's red states that are getting aid, not blue ones.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now