2020 US Presidential Election

No, it's called hardline negotiation.
You're projecting motives onto Trump that aren't there. He is looking to flex what little power he has left and to exit with some sort of "win". Just because his demands are in-line with the democrats doesn't mean they're coming from a good place. If the session of Congress ends with no last-minute amendments and nothing but a veto that couldn't be overridden then Trump will have accomplished nothing but extending suffering. On the flipside, the bill passing as-is does not mean that a followup relief bill can't add the missing aid back in. It's just that Trump knows he wouldn't be around for that.

You're projecting motives onto Trump that aren't there. He is looking to flex what little power he has left and to exit with some sort of "win". Just because his demands are in-line with the democrats doesn't mean they're coming from a good place. If the session of Congress ends with no last-minute amendments and nothing but a veto that couldn't be overridden then Trump will have accomplished nothing but extending suffering. On the flipside, the bill passing as-is does not mean that a followup relief bill can't add the missing aid back in. It's just that Trump knows he wouldn't be around for that.
Actually it does mean that. Once Biden is in office and the Georgia Senate elections are over, Senate Republicans will have no electoral incentive to vote for any aid and in fact, will have the incentive to make the country suffer as much as possible to hurt Biden. So if this bill passes and it's weak but just enough to get the GOP a win in Georgia, then this will be the last aid package passed.

And of course Trump isn't coming from a good place but that doesn't mean Democrats shouldn't use this division in the GOP to get a better deal. Especially when getting no deal would help them politically here.

Actually it does mean that. Once Biden is in office and the Georgia Senate elections are over, Senate Republicans will have no electoral incentive to vote for any aid and in fact, will have the incentive to make the country suffer as much as possible to hurt Biden. So if this bill passes and it's weak but just enough to get the GOP a win in Georgia, then this will be the last aid package passed.

And of course Trump isn't coming from a good place but that doesn't mean Democrats shouldn't use this division in the GOP to get a better deal. Especially when getting no deal would help them politically here.
Of course, Trump doesn't have good intentions. He's just pouting and virtue signaling on the way out -- he's probably trying to set himself up for 2024. He doesn't actually feel concern for the struggling people. If he did, he would have done much more throughout the pandemic.

But you're right that at some point, Democrats need to ignore him and do the right thing, even through his childish mind games.

Was the virus controlled well enough there after 12 weeks that this could end or did it have to be extended?
I think it was extended once or twice because in that link it stated from March to November. We are now at Level 1 so no one needs to apply for it anymore but we did have a couple of breaches this year that meant those close contacts may had to stop working as they were near someone who was positive in COVID-19 which means they could apply for COVID-19 relief payment.

I'm glad it's basically back to normal in NZ where there are now packed out crowds at Sports events etc.

YRIzOKR.jpg

FBI: White supremacists plotted attack on US power grid

Yeah, it's a large dangerous movement, led by hardcore Trumpers with vast experience in terrorism. Here is what has been reported about the organization's mastermind and supreme leader:

"The affidavit says the Ohio teen put Nazi flags in his room, but his mother told him to take them down."
And somehow he was able to recruit supporters to his plot as if he weren't a dumb teenager.

But yeah he's a dumb ass teenager, just like the looters. If dumb ass teenagers don't represent the right, then they don't represent the left.

I only just found out that the punk rock icon John Lyden AKA Johnny Rotten, born in England but now an American citizen, is a Trump supporter, and voted for him in 2020. Can't say I ever listened to much of John's music, but he had the right idea about Trump being the far better choice, in the 2020 election.

I only just found out that the punk rock icon John Lyden AKA Johnny Rotten, born in England but now an American citizen, is a Trump supporter, and voted for him in 2020. Can't say I ever listened to much of John's music, but he had the right idea about Trump being the far better choice, in the 2020 election.
I like how you are like "screw the NFL and Hollywood, who cares what they think!" a few posts ago but Johnny Rotten is a Trump supporter so his political opinion matters :).

Sounds like Deja Vu from 2016. We can have another 4 year special counsel looking into matters too. Karma is a bitch.

I like how you are like "screw the NFL and Hollywood, who cares what they think!" a few posts ago but Johnny Rotten is a Trump supporter so his political opinion matters :).
There are plenty of supporters of Trump out there, even in Hollywood and the NFL, but most are afraid to openly say it. Johnny Rotten has the courage that they lack. A handful of celebrities have also voiced support for Trump, including actor James Woods.

I get suspect that political writer, Libertarian, and humorist P.J. O'Rourke punked out by supporting Hillary in 2016 and Biden in 2020, because he's afraid of the consequences of not opposing Trump, which would negatively affect his career.

Yes, we now live in a country with institutions that will not allow freedom to express support for the President of the United States, unless he or she is a Democrat.

There are plenty of supporters of Trump out there, even in Hollywood and the NFL, but most are afraid to openly say it. Johnny Rotten has the courage that they lack. A handful of celebrities have also voiced support for Trump, including actor James Woods.

I get suspect that political writer, Libertarian, and humorist P.J. O'Rourke punked out by supporting Hillary in 2016 and Biden in 2020, because he's afraid of the consequences of not opposing Trump, which would negatively affect his career.

Yes, we now live in a country with institutions that will not allow freedom to express support for the President of the United States, unless he or she is a Democrat.
Oh no, you mean people might disagree with the celeb who is endorsing Trump and *gasp* use the free market that's so loved by the GOP against them?
If Congress gets its act together and cleans up the bill to remove a lot of pork, it would pass on the Republican side. I don't think it would with the Democrats. I'm with Rand Paul all the way on spending.

COVID-19 bill contains billions of dollars in foreign aid (nypost.com)
It contains like 6 billion dollars of foreign aid. While that's not good, that's not nearly enough to pay for 2,000 checks to everyone. And the GOP already voted for the version with the foreign aid.

Hi FGG, I am 12 hours ahead of you, so, Merry Christmas.

Please consider, "letting it go". You're not going to get anywhere with this, no matter what you say, post or do. It ain't worth it and you'll just end up frustrated.

Just looking out for you... I know you're strong... but this could wear you down and you have your hands full with so many things.

Take good care and protect your heart,
Daniel

If Congress gets its act together and cleans up the bill to remove a lot of pork, it would pass on the Republican side. I don't think it would with the Democrats. I'm with Rand Paul all the way on spending.

COVID-19 bill contains billions of dollars in foreign aid (nypost.com)
"Gender Programs in Pakistan": Exactly why are we giving 10 million dollars of American taxpayer's money to fund this?

Here is another one: "101 million to combat 'the transnational threat of wildlife poaching and trafficking."
"New museums on the National Mall that will focus on Latinos and women, which were pushed by Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY)."

We are in the middle of the worst health crisis the world has seen in one hundred years. The money should not be given to these causes, especially not now.

Hi FGG, I am 12 hours ahead of you, so, Merry Christmas.

Please consider, "letting it go". You're not going to get anywhere with this, no matter what you say, post or do. It ain't worth it and you'll just end up frustrated.

Just looking out for you... I know you're strong... but this could wear you down and you have your hands full with so many things.

Take good care and protect your heart,
Daniel
Some things just inspire me to snark back I guess :). It's a flaw and I realize that. It doesn't "wear on me" though. Not at all.

It's not productive though. You are right .

Merry Christmas to you, too.

"Gender Programs in Pakistan": Exactly why are we giving 10 million dollars of American taxpayer's money to fund this?

Here is another one: "101 million to combat 'the transnational threat of wildlife poaching and trafficking."
"New museums on the National Mall that will focus on Latinos and women, which were pushed by Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY)."

We are in the middle of the worst health crisis the world has seen in one hundred years. The money should not be given to these causes, especially not now.
How do you feel that Trump's budget proposal to Congress included much of the stuff he's now decrying? I'm actually curious to hear from a Trump supporter why they feel that is because I have no explanation on why he'd change mind so bizarrely and abruptly.

That said I agree, I personally don't think we should be sending money overseas in most circumstances.

Trump's complaints vs. his own budget proposal

Some things just inspire me to snark back I guess :). It's a flaw and I realize that. It doesn't "wear on me" though. Not at all.

It's not productive though. You are right .

Merry Christmas to you, too.
Cool, I was probably projecting... this thread does my head in...
It is productive and it is fine, just didn't want you getting bummed out.
Being that it wears me down... I'll see you on another thread.

Take care,
D

My sentiments of late:

https://www.salon.com/2020/12/24/as...d-the-case-for-impeaching-him--again_partner/

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...tial-law-pence-should-use-25th-amendment.html

Trust me. We haven't seen the worst of Trump's antics yet. This is my only source of comfort:

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-donald-trumps-martial-law-talk-has-military-red-alert-1557056

Even in banana republics the military is the final firewall. This is why (IMHO) Trump has cleansed the Pentagon of non-loyalists at the top level. But that may not be enough to get the rank and file military to actually comply. Cross your fingers.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now