• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Chit Chat and All That...

But one day I decided to give it a try, and... it wasn't that bad actually. Totally fine, and you don't have to use a frying pan in vain. I usually stew my pasta too, so I tried to stew everything in the same pot, and it was delicious.
I bet it was :) It's just something I never would have thought of doing myself because, when it comes to comfort food, we tend to do things the way they were done by our parents.

Your little anecdote reminds me of a camping trip I went on as a teenager. One of the meals we prepared there was potato pancakes (Kartoffelpuffer or - pfannkuchen). If you've ever had potato pancakes in Germany you probably know that they're usually served with apple sauce. On that trip one of the younger kids insisted on having his potato pancakes with sugar sprinkled on top instead of with the traditional apple sauce. As you can imagine, everybody was, "Ew, that's disgusting..." Then the first person tried it, then the second, then the third,... And by the end of lunch we were out of sugar for the rest of the trip. And while I still like my potato pancakes with apple sauce, because that's the way my mum used to make them, I won't say no to the sugar topping either - because no matter how disgusting it sound, it really is delicious <insert drooling smilie> :love:

If this isn't British breakfast, @Damocles, then I don't know what is... :cool:

bri-ish.png

If this isn't British breakfast, @Damocles, then I don't know what is... :cool:

View attachment 48104
Ideally Stacken77, you should include sausages, tomato, baked beans, hash brown and two rounds of toast for it to be a full English breakfast. Black pudding can be added too but I don't like the look of it neither have I tried it. It contains blood from either: pig, cow or sheep. Not my cup of tea. Not a tea drinker either.

Traditionally the English breakfast is a good fry up as you've correctly demonstrated @Stacken77. However, I am a little cautious when it comes to oil so grill food whenever possible. The sausages and bacon are grilled, when frying the egg, I lightly coat the pan with oil or use low cal spray. For this reason can't remember the last I had a full English in a cafe.

Most days I choose the healthy option and have two weetabix, banana, slice of toast and a cup of coffee for breakfast.

Weird day... I woke up with no tinnitus even after getting very little sleep. Went out cycling slowly for like an hour. It was sunny. Came back home, removed earplugs and tinnitus was through the roof. Oddly, I did not notice it that loud wearing the earplugs. After a few hours it is still there but has calmed down a little.

Hearing quality going downhill... the trend continues...

Tempted to go get my hearing checked (again!) but probably there will be no point in doing that, unless I decide on finally doing some more testing (MRI?!) that will very likely show nothing relevant... a bit down, and a bit scared, and I am not usually scared...

Weird day... I woke up with no tinnitus even after getting very little sleep. Went out cycling slowly for like an hour. It was sunny. Came back home, removed earplugs and tinnitus was through the roof. Oddly, I did not notice it that loud wearing the earplugs. After a few hours it is still there but has calmed down a little.

Hearing quality going downhill... the trend continues...

Tempted to go get my hearing checked (again!) but probably there will be no point in doing that, unless I decide on finally doing some more testing (MRI?!) that will very likely show nothing relevant... a bit down, and a bit scared, and I am not usually scared...
No tinnitus at all...??? Even when putting in earplugs?

That's odd. Has that happened before...?

No tinnitus at all...??? Even when putting in earplugs?

That's odd. Has that happened before...?
Yes, my tinnitus fluctuates. It goes up and down, and sometimes I do not notice it at all.

All my hearing problems started with severe hyperacusis, and it took several years for tinnitus to appear.

Yes, my tinnitus fluctuates. It goes up and down, and sometimes I do not notice it at all.

All my hearing problems started with severe hyperacusis, and it took several years for tinnitus to appear.
Your case is really mind blowing...

Your case is really mind blowing...
Yeah, I know.. several ENTs told me it is a really unusual case. A retired ENT that has a private practice told me he only had a case like mine in 40 years.

Lately I am having trouble understanding speech. It is like the sound is not transmitted from my ears to my brain, like if sound "bounced" out instead of being processed to my brain. Super weird.

So I would be in a silent place talking to someone and I would really need to pay full attention to what that person is saying and even so I could miss some words due to reverberation, echo, or the way of speaking and tone of the other person...

...and at the same time I can be at a busy, noisier place and, generally, understand very little due to the "cocktail party" effect and the general noise.. but still in those situations I can grasp words spoken in the room further away from me... it's really baffling. So I could be standing next to someone talking to me and understand 50% of the words spoken (but I get the general meaning out of context etc, brain fills the blanks...) and then get isolated words spoken by another person like 5 - 10 metres away... (busy place, people talking loud)

Ahhh... I wish.

Sigh.
For me the lost of hearing quality, and some hearing loss are the main problems. The pain after loud sounds is a problem, but I can deal with the pain. However, it is hard to deal with hearing loss as it means further isolation, making it harder to do pretty much anything...

How often does this happen?
It is completely random so there is no set pattern. This morning it was quite severe and within a couple of hours it reduced to moderate. It may change again throughout the day. My tinnitus changed to variable after a 2nd noise trauma and this often happens to people that have habituated to noise induced tinnitus for quite some time, years in fact as in my case. Then the tinnitus may change as a result of further exposure to loud noise or a return to using headphones. Keeping the volume low can still cause the tinnitus to increase.

I have written about this in my thread: Can I Habituate to Variable Tinnitus? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

It is completely random so there is no set pattern. This morning it was quite severe and within a couple of hours it reduced to moderate. It may change again throughout the day. My tinnitus changed to variable after a 2nd noise trauma and this often happens to people that have habituated to noise induced tinnitus for quite some time, years in fact as in my case. Then the tinnitus may change as a result of further exposure to loud noise or a return to using headphones. Keeping the volume low can still cause the tinnitus to increase.
I cannot wear headphones or earbuds, I never have, the earbuds never fit in my ears and always fell out. I'm guessing that headphones which I've never worn would drive me up the wall. All the years I fell timber I never wore ear protection, for the reason being so I could hear the saw as it cut into the tree, all those 30+ years I never developed tinnitus. That came from ear infection. But now I'm guessing as I get a bit older I wear ear protection when I fire up the saw, garden mower or strimmer.

Tinnitus has a way of changing our lives so that the damn thing can discourage us from enjoyment. Tinnitus can and does send me off the walls to where I find myself lying down to try to calm the ringing.

Tinnitus has a way of changing our lives so that the damn thing can discourage us from enjoyment. Tinnitus can and does send me off the walls to where I find myself lying down to try to calm the ringing.
I'd do anything to please the damn tinnitus. If walking around completely naked in city square would have it behave better, I'd do it. You can't cut corners with this disease. It rules over our lives as a sovereign tyrant.

I'd do anything to please the damn tinnitus. If walking around completely naked in city square would have it behave better, I'd do it.
Mate, don't

It scares me to think of some of the things I'd be prepared to do, just to bring it down in volume a little, or prevent it from getting any worse...

giphy.gif

R.gif

I hear you Elmer and sorry to know the difficulties that you are going through with tinnitus. There is no doubt it can seriously affect the quality of some peoples lives. However, like most medical conditions it varies in severity and fortunately, a lot of people are able to adapt to it and live a fulfilling life. They may not always be able to do what they want to do at a particular moment when they are hindered by the noise, but usually the crises will pass and they are able to dust themselves down lift their head up and carry on.

I am an avid reader and also enjoy listening to classical and opera music. When my tinnitus is intrusive, I am unable to immerse myself fully into these two interests, because they require a lot of concentration. Since tinnitus is mostly mental, when it is severe it takes precedence over most things but I am a positive thinking person and able to direct my thoughts to less demanding things and still carry on.

Accentuating the positive things in one's life and focusing on them is really the best way forward with tinnitus, even in the down times. Yesterday I drove to a store here in Brighton. As I was about to park I saw a young man about 30 years of age, walking towards me but keeping to the left for pedestrians. He had a rectangular box under one arm that I presumed wasn't heavy. In his right hand he held a long white stick approximately 4ft in length that was stretched out in front of him, tapping the ground as he walked. He was by himself.

Michael

This is the breakfast I used to have during my holidays in Scotland more than ten years ago (the day I took the photo beans and mushrooms were missing). I could go through the day without having lunch and being full of energy!

20211217_100403.jpg

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now