• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Chit Chat and All That...

This is for all the men here. Many years ago before outhouses were invented people just went wherever the urge came on. Then outhouses came along and folks used them but hurriedly as the odours got to them.

Modern technology put the outhouses in the modern home. Probably the biggest mistake men would endure. The inside toilet and bathroom became the place for women, where all things get done. If the women come out of the bathroom in less than one hour something has gone astray. We men must make a mad dash for the room and be in and out in 5 minutes, or pay the consequences.

This is true from experience.

when you reach the age of 74 everything becomes just another day.
74? You're still young, Elmer! :)

A nice dinner at a nice restaurant sounds lovely. I haven't been in a restaurant in years. Seems like every restaurant around here needs unnecessary loud music. :cautious:

L.L.Bean has great quality products. I really like their bedsheets. :D

By the way, have you heard from @Shera?

74? You're still young, Elmer! :)

A nice dinner at a nice restaurant sounds lovely. I haven't been in a restaurant in years. Seems like every restaurant around here needs unnecessary loud music. :cautious:

L.L.Bean has great quality products. I really like their bedsheets. :D

By the way, have you heard from @Shera?
No, not a word from @Shera. I do remember someone in her family was quite ill, or had passed. But nothing since then and last we talked was during the first outbreak of the virus.

Loud music in restaurants here is not allowed, for the most part when people go out to eat, they want to do that with family and be able to relax and enjoy their dinners. We have 3 restaurants we visit, Sunday dinner which is one of the best eating places we found, if you go out hungry it was your fault, they serve dinners that fill you, and not expensive. Then of course the place Marion took us for birthday dinner. There's a funny story behind that Glenmalure restaurant. Ask me one day I'd share it with you.

@OnceUponaTime, just seen of a fire in the Bronx where 19 lives were lost to it. Any news of it?
Yes. This was yesterday morning. 9 out of the 19 were children. :(

It was caused by a faulty electric heater.

Really a terrible situation for all involved.

Bronx fire leaves at least 19 dead, dozens more critically injured (nypost.com)
We men must make a mad dash for the room and be in and out in 5 minutes, or pay the consequences.
Wisdom of the day. :LOL:

Changing subjects:
I thought I read somewhere that you grew up in Idaho?

Yes. This was yesterday morning. 9 out of the 19 were children. :(

It was caused by a faulty electric heater.

Really a terrible situation for all involved.

Bronx fire leaves at least 19 dead, dozens more critically injured (nypost.com)

Wisdom of the day. :LOL:

Changing subjects:
I thought I read somewhere that you grew up in Idaho?
Yes I did grow up in Idaho. We lived 20 miles from the nearest town. I went to a two room school, first grade to 5th in one room, 6th to 8th in the other. Then 20 miles to high school. We lived in the mountains, fished and grew up outdoors. Hunted elk, and learned to respect all things. Then I tried college, that didn't go well, and found myself in a different world, Vietnam. After that all things went to hell.

That's all.

I met my wife on the internet and after my mother passed, we sold our home in Montana and I retired and moved to Ireland where the wife was born.

That fire was a sad thing to happen. We were shocked after hearing of it.

Thank you for the information on that fire.

Yes I did grow up in Idaho. We lived 20 miles from the nearest town. I went to a two room school, first grade to 5th in one room, 6th to 8th in the other. Then 20 miles to high school. We lived in the mountains, fished and grew up outdoors. Hunted elk, and learned to respect all things. Then I tried college, that didn't go well, and found myself in a different world, Vietnam. After that all things went to hell.

That's all.

I met my wife on the internet and after my mother passed, we sold our home in Montana and I retired and moved to Ireland where the wife was born.

That fire was a sad thing to happen. We were shocked after hearing of it.

Thank you for the information on that fire.
I'd never expect you to do Internet dating and certainly not with any success :D

Please share the story :)

Are you sure we're talking about the same internet...?

Fishing net perhaps :p

A big hug to you @Elmer B Fuddled.

Oxford...?

Piccadilly...? :p
I spent three-quarters of my life in Piccadilly Circus reading books (and not paying for them), hanging around in café's and dining in sushi restaurants, between 2009 and 2013.

Oxford Circus is right next to Piccadilly Circus.

Chances are we were 10-20 minutes away from each other that day you were here.

If I had ran into you, I would have warned you of what was to come; but then, you would probably just have thought I was crazy...

warning.gif

I spent three-quarters of my life in Piccadilly Circus reading books (and not paying for them), hanging around in café's and dining in sushi restaurants, between 2009 and 2013.

Oxford Circus is right next to Piccadilly Circus.

Chances are we were 10-20 minutes away from each other that day you were here.

If I had ran into you, I would have warned you of what was to come; but then, you would probably just have thought I was crazy...

View attachment 48553
I was probably a few roads down from both of you sitting by the window in the cafe at Foyles.

This is for all the men here. Many years ago before outhouses were invented people just went wherever the urge came on. Then outhouses came along and folks used them but hurriedly as the odours got to them.

Modern technology put the outhouses in the modern home. Probably the biggest mistake men would endure. The inside toilet and bathroom became the place for women, where all things get done. If the women come out of the bathroom in less than one hour something has gone astray. We men must make a mad dash for the room and be in and out in 5 minutes, or pay the consequences.

This is true from experience.
Elmer, this one's for you.

A few years ago me and Mrs. UKB visited the Roman fort at Vindolanda. The image below of these three poor souls on the crapper, adourns one of the walls in the visitors' centre. Note the intriguing presence of ladles...

crapper.jpg

I was probably a few roads down from both of you sitting by the window in the cafe at Foyles.
And you both missed the sight of a skinny white Norwegian with brown jeans, tears in eyes and a funny walk...?

Wish we could wash away tinnitus like the shame I felt that day...

@Damocles, I used to live on the Copenhagen estate Kings Cross. This was over 10 years ago now!

I had a walk round there the other for 'old times sake'. Im glad I don't live there now. Though I do miss the city life.

Elmer, this one's for you.

A few years ago me and Mrs. UKB visited the Roman fort at Vindolanda. The image below of these three poor souls on the crapper, adourns one of the walls in the visitors' centre. Note the intriguing presence of ladles...

View attachment 48558
Interesting as I noticed the three of them were all dressed the same.

@Damocles, I used to live on the Copenhagen estate Kings Cross. This was over 10 years ago now!
Steph, I hate King's Cross. I used to study up there and it's (perplexingly) both desolate and congested, at the same time.

It's a nightmare for anyone who has reactive tinnitus and/or a propensity for being robbed.
I had a walk round there the other for 'old times sake'. Im glad I don't live there now. Though I do miss the city life.
So despite the above, I love living in London and am completely institutionalised.

That said, I am going to have to leave here eventually, because the reality is: the city just isn't for a person with sound sensitivity.

Like @Exit and his apartment, we are increasingly being joined by trashy neighbours, where I live, who don't recognise the concept of "compromise" or "being respectful", and the noise nuisance we're now subjected to (day and night), is several times what it was when we first moved here.

So it seems I'll be joining you soon, in the middle of nowhere England, @Steph1710; which is uncharted terrain for me.

What's it like out there? The couple times I've been brave enough to venture out, it looked like you couldn't get anywhere or do anything without a car (or a van).

It looks quiet(er), but are there any shops? How do you get food? Water? Sex? are there any other people (under the age of 70)?

I'm scared Steph...

Steph, I hate King's Cross. I used to study up there and it's (perplexingly) both desolate and congested, at the same time.
To be honest, I liked it at the time. I was 20 and living the city dream. However, the time came when I had to move back to the countryside. London was just too expensive for a poor student like myself.
propensity for being robbed.
I never, ever had any issues living there. I regularly (stupidly) used to walk back to Kings Cross from Camden along the canal at all hours of the night/morning. I would never do it now of course. When you're young, you feel invincible - well I did.

I always found the place to be friendly.
So despite the above, I love living in London and am completely institutionalised.
I would happily live in London again. I am in love with both the city, and the countryside. There are pros and cons to both.
That said, I am going to have to leave here eventually, because the reality is: the city just isn't for a person with sound sensitivity.
Sadly, I know :(
Like @Exit and his apartment, we are increasingly being joined by trashy neighbours, where I live, who don't recognise the concept of "compromise" or "being respectful", and the noise nuisance we're now subjected to (day and night), is several times what it was when we first moved here.
Do you live on your own, or with partner/family? I was always noise sensitive before I developed tinnitus and hyperacusis, so hated noisy neighbours or people outside.
So it seems I'll be joining you soon, in the middle of nowhere England, @Steph1710; which is uncharted terrain for me.
It's a scary world out here in the sticks! People are incredibly backwards. Many have never been to the big smoke.
It looks quiet(er), but are there any shops? How do you get food? Water? Sex? are there any other people (under the age of 70)?
Why! You must hunt, of course! There are plenty of clean rivers to gather water and wash. As for sex, well, there's plenty of livestock, so you should be okay. <3

It's a nightmare for anyone who has reactive tinnitus and/or a propensity for being robbed.

What's it like out there? The couple times I've been brave enough to venture out, it looked like you couldn't get anywhere or do anything without a car (or a van).

I'm scared Steph...
The solution is very clear to me :)

Imagine this @Damocles...

You and mum renew those British passports.

A nice village cabin in Barbados next to a beach. Mom cooking some banana pancakes while you walk the beach hand in hand with a young perfectly tanned local broke ass girl in desperate need for a bamboo roof over her head :cool:

Ok here's todays news from Ireland.

This morning two men entered the post office, between them they had an old man they were supporting up. They had come to get the old man's pension money. When they got to the counter, the lady behind the counter thought that the old man doesn't look good at all. So she hit the button for assistance and the police arrived. The two men dropped the old man and ran off. The police discovered the old man was dead and had been before the two brought him in. Best scam I've ever heard.

For you @aura and @Jazzer. To keep you smiling.

Elmer

Hi @Vicki3116, it's @Jazzer.

Something made me look back through some posts from when I lost my sweetheart in November 2020.

Your words of loving kindness touched me deeply then, as they do now.

Having lost the kindest soul on this earth, you made me realise that there is still kindness which can be accessed from other lovely people, which can help to support us and help us to move on.

Thank you once again.

I so hope that you are well Vickie,

Love
Dave xx
Jazzer

@Juan, @El BUZZ, congrats to your fellow countrymen, Rafael Nadal on winning his 21st grand slam title. The most ever in tennis now. I always liked him the most out of the big three (Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic).

@Juan, @El BUZZ, congrats to your fellow countrymen, Rafael Nadal on winning his 21st grand slam title. The most ever in tennis now. I always liked him the most out of the big three (Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic).
Massive fan of Nadal here. Not just me, in fact, but my whole family.

He is without doubt, one of the most inspirational athletes of our time:

• Passionate
  • Respectful
  • Gracious in defeat
  • Humble
and
  • Utterly determined
So in many ways... the polar opposite of me... but all attributes that I admire and would like to adopt.

His career should have been over sometime around 2010 with Chronic Knee Tendonitis and Injuries. But he refused to let this stop him, and by combining the best in medical science with an iron force will and focusing on what he could do instead of what he couldn't, managed to reach this fete.

Guy is an inspiration to any tinnitus sufferer (imo).

So if you're struggling at the moment, just:

R.png

I've never seen anything like that. I usually just eat $11 Dodger Dogs.
Right? There is no way a Californian would ever eat that. The only way I can see that even being a thing is unless it's some weird veggie-health-conscious-turkey option or it's from the midwest or something. Sorry Midwest people.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now