• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Chit Chat and All That...

Doing well. Hope you're good too.

Miss you friend.

Take care and wishing you happiness always.

D
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hey Bid D, glad to see you are doing well mate. Miss you too and all your chill and spiritual vibes. Hope the family is doing ok as well.

upload_2022-5-19_14-48-0.jpeg

Right when I thought I've seen it all, I discover there are earplug and earmuff fetishists on Instagram. People with hyperacusis, this may be a very profitable business opportunity. You can count me out though.

Employers will likely be grilling me over my long employment gap now. Anyone know how I should response if they ask me why I was out of work for so long? I hate being dishonest, but I think I might have to lie now.

Employers will likely be grilling me over my long employment gap now. Anyone know how I should response if they ask me why I was out of work for so long? I hate being dishonest, but I think I might have to lie now.
I have embellished the truth on C.Vs - making it look like I've worked for places longer than I have. I've had a lot of time out to travel, so have many gaps in my employment. As long as you don't lie about your capabilities or places you've actually worked, then stretching out the length you've worked somewhere should be fine as long as it's not silly amounts. :)

It's so competitive out there for work, and I can guarantee that you're not the only one who has jazzed up their C.V a bit for a better chance.

I have embellished the truth on C.Vs - making it look like I've worked for places longer than I have. I've had a lot of time out to travel, so have many gaps in my employment. As long as you don't lie about your capabilities or places you've actually worked, then stretching out the length you've worked somewhere should be fine as long as it's not silly amounts. :)

It's so competitive out there for work, and I can guarantee that you're not the only one who has jazzed up their C.V a bit for a better chance.
I'm assuming they don't call your previous employers and check, because they would be doing that over here. I think it even shows up on our background check.

@ZFire, I'm having this same problem. Haven't worked since August. I'm just going to tell them I decided to take an unpaid sabbatical and rest my tired mind. What's it their business if I took some time off?

Anyways, about to be homeless in 4 weeks.

Say you were caring for a relative. I was told that's the best thing to say by a previous employer. Nobody wants to ask any further questions and it can't be disproven.

I'm assuming they don't call your previous employers and check, because they would be doing that over here. I think it even shows up on our background check.
Really!? They do that in America? Wow that sucks. No one bothers to check in England. Not that I know of. As long as you have good references and can prove your qualifications, then you're fine. I've never worked for any company which background checks - and I've had a million different jobs, doing a million different roles.

Really!? They do that in America? Wow that sucks. No one bothers to check in England. Not that I know of. As long as you have good references and can prove your qualifications, then you're fine. I've never worked for any company which background checks - and I've had a million different jobs, doing a million different roles.
It really depends on the company and the hiring manager, but so far I've had a to do a background check for every job. I think it really depends on the market you are working in. In web we deal with sensitive information and I think they want to make sure we aren't prone to breaking laws.

Wow, thank you, I never thought about doing this on my resume. I think I'll add a few more months into my work timeline.
Say you were caring for a relative. I was told that's the best thing to say by a previous employer. Nobody wants to ask any further questions and it can't be disproven.
01B80202-19A6-46A4-8C48-3020518DB371.gif

@ZFire, I'm having this same problem. Haven't worked since August. I'm just going to tell them I decided to take an unpaid sabbatical and rest my tired mind. What's it their business if I took some time off?

Anyways, about to be homeless in 4 weeks.
That sucks. You have someone whose place you can crash for the time being? Maybe move back to your parents?

@makeyourownluck, I thought I'd message you in here instead of keep hijacking Ricardo's post.

I wanted to say, sorry that you lost two family members recently. It's nice to have someone else on here who agrees the NHS is an absolute mess. In my offline life, I don't know one single person who doesn't think the NHS is appalling. All I hear is story after story of people being failed by this system which is still world famous - though it stopped being great about 15 years ago.

Unfortunately, on here we have some "die hard" NHS fans which is annoying because every time I've tried to air my grievances about the appalling service I've received, they have jumped down my throat telling me I should be "grateful" because it's free. But, what is the point of it being free if they don't help with anything?

In fact, those who love the NHS so much, obviously didn't watch the latest Panorama episode (BBC) discussing how people were using their life-savings to have routine operations because they were told they would be put on a waiting list with no end in sight, or that the NHS wouldn't do it full stop.

We live in a nation where we can't even see a doctor face-to-face without having to lie or fight tooth and nail to see one. And of course, dental care is just the same. My work colleague who has paid into the NHS for the past 34 years can't get a dentist appointment without going private - which he flat out refuses to. My other half has been trying to get into an NHS dentist for over four years now - no luck there!

Unfortunately, on here we have some "die hard" NHS fans which is annoying because every time I've tried to air my grievances about the appalling service I've received, they have jumped down my throat telling me I should be "grateful" because it's free. But, what is the point of it being free if they don't help with anything?
It's very frustrating when someone tries to dismiss your valid complaints. I have also come across this. I once responded to someone who stated the NHS waiting times were built into the system for the benefit of tinnitus sufferers. I felt the need to dispute this given how long I had been waiting, how my condition had progressed and the crippling anxiety I was experiencing. I went on to list several instances where I believed the NHS had failed, one of which was the misdiagnosis of my MIL's brain cancer. I was deemed to be a 'complainer'. She was only 59, my partner was (and still is) completely devastated.

To be fair though, this person is older, and was diagnosed at a time when the NHS was performing well. They probably have received very good care and formed their opinion based on that. You can hardly blame them, but nobody should belittle such serious failures. The impact of these mistakes are life changing for the people left behind.

I'm sorry (and angry) to hear about your grandpa, I can't believe I've found yet another person going through this. As you know, I just said goodbye to mine, and the situation is painfully close to yours. His was lung cancer, and he spent the last year of his life in agony, being told he just had to walk a bit more.

The most frustrating thing about all this is that there is no accountability. They all just close rank and bare-face lie about the situation to protect each other. Not to mention the fact that you can only sue the NHS after you have submitted a complaint, which essentially outlines your case and gives them time to prepare a full proof legal defence, using the best legal minds in the country. It's just disgusting.

I also hope you get your operation soon! 2 years is a long time to endure loud continual noise, particularly when you know it can be cured. I'm having a hard time getting anyone to realise that tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus are two different beasts. Everyone just sees hearing loss and thinks it's noise induced, live with it.

4 years for a dentist, wtf. We should arrange a UK wide egging of all NHS buildings as a form of protest. I believe 'someone' mentioned that it can be quite therapeutic :p.

That sucks. You have someone whose place you can crash for the time being? Maybe move back to your parents?
The fallback is to put everything in storage and drive 2,300 miles to stay with family.

The storage part stresses me out the most. Also going back to live with a dog worries me as well.

Weird muffled hearing on my right ear for no apparent reason (other than so many years with hyperacusis and tinnitus). Tempted to go to the doctor although it will be for nothing...

So now tempted to use Deflazacort or Prednisone just in case... a bit undecided on what to do.

Hearing problems can still surprise one years down the road... shocking.

The storage part stresses me out the most. Also going back to live with a dog worries me as well.
I used to be a massive dog lover. Now I can't walk past a dog with out experiencing a mini anxiety attack. :(

Sorry you're stuck in this tough situation @kingsfan. I wish I could offer a solution or advice to help, but unfortunately there's nothing I can do.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now