Don't See the Point Anymore to Staying

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      sudden hearing loss is related to NERVES, not HAIR CELLS.. therefore there is always a chance of improvement.

hair cells do not grow back, but nerves can regenerate.

In China they put me on this stuff called Vincopetine which increases blood flow to the brain area. I feel it has worked. I do it through an IV drip and saline solution.

I usually don't post on forums such as this, but since I can feel massive improvements over just 2-3 days following SEVERE HEARING LOSS, I want to relay my experience to help people.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Cool dude, well thank god your posts didn't exist on here 1-2 months ago when I had the issue. I'm glad this forum didn't bother putting a sticky about it, that the doctors and ENT didn't bother telling me, etc.. Glad for all this.

Awesome, want to tell me how to tie a noose too now? Seems like a good direction to go now, thanks.

3. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I have not read the entire thread but my advice to you would be to seek treatment ASAP instead of feeling bad.

This is a devastating thing and initially I was devastated as well.

It's really bad to have a loss of hearing in ONE EAR, it's better to have it in two ears so the loss is symmetrical. assymetrical hearing is a nightmare.. so seek treatment NOW.

my point is you are not that far away from the treatment window and the initial point of onset. BE PROACTIVE and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. the 1 month window usually pertains to steroids.

If I were you I would still do the steroids OR the tympanic injection. tympanic injection is usually used if oral steroids weren't effective. Are you considering that?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      also your chances of recovery are MUCH HIGHER since you are very young. very few people in their 20's get sudden hearing loss. your body has more capability to regenerate cells.

I would seek laser treatment or buy a low level laser with higher output.

I would say you have a good chance of recovery if you just seek help right now.

5. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Both. Prednisone wasn't likely going to do you any good so there is no sense in worrying about it. I took a couple oral prednisone packs and it did nothing for me.

6. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      they say there are far more cases of sudden hearing loss than the official 5/100,000 because most people recover spontaneously from this. if the hearing loss is mild many people choose not to seek treatment and get better within 2 weeks or so.

I do agree that if you are proactive your hearing can improve over time. if you stress out about it you will not get better. stress inhibits circulatory flow and qi. the chinese ENT doctor told me stress/ anxiety can cause poor circulation in the ear area which can lead to sudden hearing loss. Right when I got this hearing loss I was stressing out like no tommorrow over my dog's disc herniation. I feel that has contributed to my devastating hearing loss. but only 2-3 days after treatment I'm getting better.

7. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      What are you talking about? Which nerves regenerate? Hearing loss is not related to hair cells?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Was that after you had more hearing loss? Or just got more tinnitus?

9. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Sudden acute hearing loss is NOT related to hair cells . we're talking about 30 db or more of hearing loss. it's related to nerves. the hair cells cannot grow back, but nerves can regenerate. this is why there is a high recovery rate for sudden hearing loss, but not for gradual or noise induced haering loss.

the inner hair cells cannot regenerate once they die in most mammals.

10. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      It was a couple days after I had more hearing loss and the start of my tinnitus. It did nothing. No effect whatsoever.

11. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Sorry, I still think you are confused. What nerves are you talking about? Something inside the cochlea or are you referring to the auditory nerve? I have never heard of an auditory nerve regenerating before.

12. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Michael. do you agree with the scientific literature that there is a 50-80% chance of recovery for sudden hearing loss?

If you agree with the medical consensus, then you have to admit something is regenerating to achieve recovery. we all know hair cells do not regenerate, the medical consensus says so as well.. yet how do people with sudden hearing loss recover? I am a case of a recovering SSHL patient.

From here you can conclude that SSHL is not due to hair cell death, but due to NEURAL connections or NERVES..

hence the name SENSORINEURAL HEARING LOSS

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I agree the nerves can recover.

Sorry, I'm at a loss what to do at this point and now you just made me feel I haven't done enough. Fuck this life, I just now seriously want to die even more now....literally I feel back to or worse than I was when I first posted this.

14. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      you need to blast the steroids for 5 days . 60-70 mg generally. When you take it you can feel it working. you feel a tingling sensation in the whole ear area. I felt it worked. use a vasilodator like vincopetine to get the roids into the ear more effectively.

You can also try hyperbaric oxygen. that works and some doctors use it.

what is the extent of your hearing loss?

If I were you I wouldn't be depressed. doctor said I had a good chance of recovery due to my age (mid 30's

you are mid 20's so I would be even more optimistic. it could be your stress and worrying about it that is hampering spontaneous recovery. calm down and stay positive.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

30db at 4-6khz and 40db at 8khz. Rest is normalish. I was given prednisone before, but not at high dosage, just normal pack that tapers.
      Any hope I had is gone now. I'm glad you got the correct treatment but I'm 2 months out now. I wasn't given correct treatment by either a gp or ent initially.

I'm probably nos not going to make it to the end of the year alive. Again, glad you got the proper treatment but I think I'm just going to hang around until I get fired from my job and just wait to die off.

I literally feel as bad as I did when I first posted. This life has had it out for me for a while. Well, I guess it gets to finally kill me off.

16. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I'm still not 100% healed.

I'm just about 50-60% better after just 3 days of treatment. We'll see how it pans out. I am very excited about my gains though and want to relay my experience with others.

You should seek novel treatment and still try the steroid blasting. Look into laser therapy. I believe that works.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Yeah after these recent posts I'm back to square one. I wish I could just stay asleep.

18. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      The nerves and hair cells you are referring to in the case of SNHL are the same thing.

19. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Why are you back to square one?

-Mike

20. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i'm really sorry but you need to do more research

you seem to be confusing a lot of basic issues.

21. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Feel free to explain which specific nerves you are talking about regenerating then. I asked you earlier, but you didn't answer.

-Mike

22. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i'll make it simple for you

noise induced = damage to the hair cells in the cochlea (this is the sensory hearing organ) or

SUDDEN HEARING LOSS = damage to the neural pathways of hearing (nerves).

this is universally recognized. We might not know which nerves, but we do know that hair cells don't really come back, but nerves do. Hence why SHL has such a high recovery rate.

I don't need to cite proof since you can deduce this for yourself. That is if you admit that hair cell loss = permanent.

23. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      The only thing universally recognized is that the underlying cause of SSNHL is not well understood and in most patients, never identified. And the primary reason why corticosteroids are believed to work is possibly due to inflammation of the inner ear (cochlea), not... nerve regeneration or whatever you're talking about. It doesn't matter anyway; the original poster does not have SSNHL by definition and the proof of effectiveness in his case is even less than in your case.

That explains it.

-Mike

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Since I've been reminded that I didn't do everything I could to solve this, mainly thanks to misguidance from original GP. Reminded that others were somehow guided correctly while I wasn't.

Just tired of life. There is no meaning in this suffering I don't feel.

25. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      that is why I made that thread.. to tell people to get ROIDS RIGHT AWAY.

you can help others avoid the same situation.

26. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      It's unfortunate that the other poster didn't bother to read this thread and understand your situation before commenting. He is talking about Sudden-SNHL which by definition you do not have.

What's done is done; you need to get off this roller coaster of what if's. Multiple sources out there say that no treatment is proven to work, so you have to stop worrying about something you now have no control over.

-Mike

27. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Jdjd09,
      Don't give in to tinnitus.
      I know work is tough but great your managing just about to go.
      We are all rooting for you and praying your tinnitus settles and wish your hearing was better too.
      I'm so glad this fantastic forum is here for you and hope giving you some reassurance life will get easyer for you I'm sure it will.
      Your so young like my youngest son who is nearly 21 and he has hearing impairment in his left ear as had his ear bones out and a new drum when he was 7 and has epilepsy also.
      He has slight tinnitus but does not bother him and took him a while adapt to his hearing loss 40db
      He could have a hearing aid but for now he copes ok with his good ear.
      Stay strong .....lots of love glynis

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Ok, well imagine being on the losing end of this and being misguided by multiple doctors. Congrats on getting the correct treatment , but I screwed at this point. Ent said it may come back over 6 month period.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Can I ask what khz he has 40db hearing loss? How did he get over the hearing loss? I am prob more effected by hearing loss than anything.

30. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      http://www.hearingreview.com/2016/02/study-shows-hearing-aids-improve-brain-function/

"According to a recent study by Jamie Desjardins, PhD, an assistant professor in the speech-language pathology program at The University of Texas at El Paso, hearing aids improve brain function in people with hearing loss."

"After two weeks of hearing aid use, tests revealed an increase in percent scores for recalling words in working memory and selective attention tests, and the processing speed at which participants selected the correct response was faster. By the end of the study, participants had exhibited significant improvement in their cognitive function."