Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) for Tinnitus — Experiences (Dr. Wilden, etc.)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by joe, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      ATEOS... No I'm not the Matt that you have been on conversing with... But im also considering b12 injections.... Have you seen any studies where that is more effective than taking an oral supplement though?

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I have indeed increased the therapy dosage. When doing so, one should keep in mind, the Arndt-Schulz law of pharmacology. The law is old and no longer used in medicine, but the overall principles still apply in a number of situations.

Essentially you can approach therapy dosage in a number of ways:

1) Increase the dosage by increasing the length of the therapy, but keeping the strength of the medicine constant, or
      2) Increase the dosage by increasing the strength of the medicine, but keeping the length of the therapy constant, or
      3) Deliver the same dosage split across several therapies instead of all-in-one-go, or
      4) Deliver the same dosage using different strengths of medicine - and varying the length of therapy accordingly.

At some point the increase in dosage becomes detrimental - and it is therefore important to consider what part of the curve the treatment is at.

For LLLT the dosage is calculated as: Energy (J)=Power (W)×Time (s)

ArndtSchulzCurve.jpg

The diagram above is one specific instance of the Arndt-Schulz curve specific for LLLT (and not the generalized curve for other medicine).

If I get results from my therapy, I will share the protocol I have used.

• Like Like x 1
    3. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks ATEOS.

Your posts are extremely helpful to me and no doubt to the rest of the community.

-Steve

4. LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @Owch - just reading back previous posts on this forum, I see that you had treatment at Dr Wilden's clinic and are using the laser at home too. Would you say it has had any effect on your tinnitus or your hearing so far?

5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As with any medical intervention, one has to ask oneself - what is it I want to achieve and how do I want to achieve it? For that, a correct diagnosis is required as well as the correct "medicine". What has been found is that people suffering from noise induced hearing loss tend to have low vitamin b12 levels. Correcting this deficiency does not necessarily correct the (associated?) tinnitus - but it may improve it. The reason intramuscular injections are suggested is because vitamin b12 is poorly absorbed via the oral route. But... if one has a correct diagnosis beforehand - and a correct follow-up diagnosis after the treatment, then using the oral route should be just as good (provided it works). But not everyone chooses to have blood screening afterwards - in which case the intramuscular method is the "foolproof" way of achieving the desired result. Intramuscular injections can be self-administered (after demonstration by the physician). Here's one of my many blood screening samples from my first stem cell treatment last summer (this one concerning antioxidant levels):

Antioxidant Profile.jpg

As can be seen, even otherwise healthy individuals can be deficient without knowing it...

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. HelmutK.

HelmutK. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 Jears
      I can say, that the lasertreatment helped me very much. I had the Lumomed Lasertherapy (at the clinic of Amon Kaiser - he is the son of Dr. Wilden). He did a combination of lasertreatments for the inner ear and psychological training to reduce emotional stress. You can find my report under "itroduction". So I do not have to write it double.

• Like Like x 1
    7. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi Helmut,

did it also help with hearing loss? Did you have better hearing after treatment?
      How many sessions did you attend?

Greets Tom

8. HelmutK.

HelmutK. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 Jears
      Hi Tom,

yes it also helped with my hearing loss. I had 10 treatments. (But I have to say, that my hearing loss became better before - not that good like after the therapy but it regenerated also because of protection. Mr Kaiser explained it to me - he said, that my consequent wearing of ear protection is the reason for the improvement of hearing before the lasertherapy).

9. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is probably the kind of "stuff" you are looking for - and from a credible source.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22734788

(Of course, there is nothing in the journal that I didn't already know...)

10. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For those interested in LLLT and some highly specific knowledge of the inner ear (the kind you will never find at your ENTs office) - have a read of this relatively short 15 page document. Unfortunately, it is not in English, but it is well illustrated.

http://www.dasgesundeohr.de/LLLT-Therapie/index.html#page/1

For those not interested in LLLT, why don't you go watch another episode of the Oprah Winfrey Show...

EDIT:

The document in the link, above, is an extract from a longer version which can be found on Dr. Wilden's homepage. In my opinion, this is probably some of the best literature on the physiology of the inner ear and LLLT, in-the-world...

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      LLLT Homelaser EMLAS Konftec with 3 Laser for stimulation at "different parts" in the cochlea. Cost: 1090 USD
      90 days money back guarantee.
      Expectation: just check if there is an effect on this controversial discussed subject.

660 nm 50 mW (per side) 200 - 500 Hz/800-2000Hz
      780 nm 90 mW (per side) 500-800Hz/2000-4000Hz
      808 nm 90 mW (per side) 4000-8000Hz
      Usage: 30min everyday

UpdateI: after 3 weeks of use
      Tinnitus (no effect)
      Hearing Loss Threshold (no effect)
      Pressure in the ear (no effect)
      SideEffect (no effect)

the only positive effect until now is the relaxing warm feeling on the ear due to energy absorbtion of the diode (not the light beam)

UpdateII (next week)

• Like Like x 1
    12. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

I'm talking about only H here- if theres no better treatment in 2 years, i will go ahead and take another week of more powerful LLLT treatment in clinic. Did very much help with my sensitivity and still does at home. with my work i wear 8h a day musician earprotection and if im getting sensitive, then an half hour of laser pen has helped. This first real testing does not surprise me. This is the only thing i invested money in with my H condition and im glad my gut feeling didnt let me down. Im sure LLLT will get good push now, with more enlightening coming up.

14. HelmutK.

HelmutK. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 Jears
    15. HelmutK.

HelmutK. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 Jears
      Sorry but these text is only in German language, perhapes you can translate it with a programm (it is a press Text). The lasers that they use are very soft copared to the lasers I was treated with!

Drei neue Studien zur Behandlung von Tinnitus (Ohrensausen) veröffentlicht
      Unabhängige Studien bestätigen Wirksamkeit der Softlaser-Behandlung

Zürich (pts005/03.08.2012/07:15) - Die Wirksamkeit der TinniTool Softlaser-Therapie wurde bereits früher von zwei unabhängigen Studien bestätigt. Vom ENT Department, Piacenza Clinic in Italien und von der AL-Ahliyya Amman University in Jordanien. In diesem Jahr sind drei weitere Studien veröffentlicht worden, welche zum gleichen Resultat führten.

Die Studie - von Prof. Marina Savastano und ihrem Team von der Università di Padova aus Italien - wurde mit 49 Tinnitus-Patienten durchgeführt. Bei allen Patienten wurde ein TinniTool Softlaser mit 5 mW Leistung und 650nm Wellenlänge angewendet. Der Softlaser verfügte über einen Kopfbügel, welches den Betroffenen erlaubte, die Anwendung zielgerichtet und bequem von zuhause durchzuführen. Die Behandlung bestand aus einer dreimonatigen Anwendung von 20 Minute pro Tag. Die Untersuchungsreihe wurde mit dem genormten Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI) Verfahren geprüft. Die Intensität verminderte sich zwischen 10-20 dB bei fünf Probanden, 25-40 dB bei 17, 40-60 dB bei 19, 60-70 dB bei drei und 70-90 dB bei drei Personen. Bei zwei Probanden wurde keine Verbesserung festgestellt. Fazit: Es wurde eine statistisch signifikante Reduktion der Tinnitus-Intensitätsschwelle beobachtet.

Die Studie - von Dr. Ahmed H Salahaldin und seinem Team, vom General Hospital, Hamad Medical Corporation in Qatar - umfasste 65 Patienten im Alter von 15 - 76 Jahre mit chronischen Tinnitus, mit einer minimalen Dauer der Erkrankung von einem Jahr. Die Untersuchung umfasste 101 Ohren von 65 Patienten. Ein 5 mW Softlaser von TinniTool mit einer Wellenlänge von 650 nm wurde für 20 Minuten, einmal täglich, für drei Monate angewendet. Über die Hälfte der Patienten (56,9%) konnten eine markante Verbesserung der Tinnitus-Symptome verzeichnen. Eine leichte Verbesserung wurde bei 33,8%, eine markante Verbesserung bei 16,9% und eine komplette Heilung bei 6,15% der Patienten festgestellt. Bei Patienten, mit Schwindel-Anfälle erfuhren 27,7% eine leichte Verbesserung und 16,9% eine komplette Heilung. Fazit: Die Softlaser Therapie erwies sich als nützlich für die Behandlung des chronischen Tinnitus.

Die Studie - von Dr. Juan Carlos Olmo und seinem Team, vom Instituto Costarricense de Audiología Clínicas de la Audición aus Costa Rica - wurde mit 22 Patienten, im Alter zwischen 36 und 61 Jahren, mit langjährigen, chronischen Tinnitus durchgeführt. Alles Patienten, welche bereits von HNO Ärzten erfolglos behandelt wurden. Diese Gruppe wurde jetzt mit dem EarLaser behandelt. Die Ergebnisse zeigten eine markante Verbesserung bei 45%, eine komplette Heilung bei 20%, keine Änderung bei 35% der Patienten. Insgesamt zeigte die Softlaser-Therapie bei 59% der Fälle eine markante Wirkung. Fazit: Die Softlaser-Therapie erwies sich als eine gute Alternative für Patienten, die vorab erfolglos versuchten eine andere medizinische oder chirurgische Lösung zu finden.

16. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      UpdateII: after approx. 6 weeks of use
      Tinnitus (no effect)
      Hearing Loss Threshold (no effect)
      Pressure in the ear (no effect)
      SideEffect (no effect)

So there is still no noticeable change.

Greets Tom

17. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Dan
      Hope everything is ok. But you buy a laser from a chinese brand on the internet?
      How much love do you have for your ears.
      I do clothing production in china. And chinese use a lot a word " similar" as "same" . Hope you understand what that means. For a chinese similar is the same as "same". in other words as if it´s red and it´s light, is a laser.
      Attention with that people and what they sell. I worked for a chinese company and know how they think. I´m absolut sure that the guy that sold you the laser in china, is driving a Audi or a Mercedes. Dr Wilden,last time I saw him was in VW green Van.

18. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I´m not here to protect Dr Wilden. But buying devices from internet to Chinese internet companies?
      There are more chances in the world to find cure that those products really work. I know you have 90 days return.
      Just try and see what they say?

19. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      In other words you think this lasers aren't lasers at all?
      How is your treatment going? Maybe you could ask Dr. Wilden about differences
      between his laser and some others...
      I have no idea, I'm just trying.

Greets Tom

20. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No - they are lasers. I just don't know if they work or not.

I haven't done any TRT treatment yet. I see her tomorrow.

Nah - i pretty much ran down that road with Wilden and co and came to the conclusion it's Russian roulette re LLLT. At the end of the day, its Konftec, Luci or MLS. Who knows what they really do or claim to do? When I asked the difference between Luci or MLS, Luci people said Luci was the later model to MLS.

21. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      There might even be other LLLT devices on the market but those are the three that hit my radar. Sorry man. I think we know about as much as the next guy re LLLT. From what i read, u have to persist. It's not great. But u never know, it might just work for you.

22. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yes, it was Konftec I used.

23. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi Dan,
      did you have success with the Konftec?
      I'm still using it without any noticable effect in T/HL/Hyperacusis and pressure in the ear.

24. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I just realise, there are two persons on the fórum with Konftec laser, and no results. And others that got results with lasers from Dr Wilden. I think you got some results in the past with a laser ( not Konftec I think). maybe just something to consider. There are other brands not only the ones from Dr Wilden. But just realise two person with same suplier got no results. And knowing the chinese people as well as I do, they can do anything to get sales.

That is why I asked yo to try to send back, Just check there reaction? Of corse the decision is up to you.

25. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I can compare the Tinnitool (wich has very low power) and the Konftec with much more power.
      Konftec is much more bright....
      I probably will return my Konftec, because there hasn't been any imporvement until now.

But to buy the MLS is a financial risk, because we also do not know if it really works.

For both, Konftec and MLS, there is almost no information to find if it's useful or not, this is what made/make me
      very sceptical. But I'm happy for everybody who can speak about success..

Greets Tom

26. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      See my post.
      I think there is something wrong with Audigrame from Dr wqilden, Cause in the one I made in Portugal the 12hz was less 60db. Something I need to clarify. But felling better for now let´see in the future, It takes time to work, If will work at all. But need to try.
      At the same time does not make sense he rises the values, cause that wy he have no reason to try to sell the lasers.
      Time will tell.

27. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Example I had a heart attack and 4 stents. My co-worker bypass and stents. My cardio believe one takes plavix for life. My co-worker was taken off after 6 months. Human guinea pigs?

28. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, time is almost the biggest medicine with ear related problems. After my sudden hearing loss in 2003 I had
      Tinnitus/Hyperacusis and (still have) hearing loss. The "new" damaged hearing was unconfortable for years, but after many many monthes T went away and Hyperacusis too.. I also could better hear even the audiogramm
      looked the same last 10 years.... so time and the changes in the auditory processing are the biggest changes.

Greets Tom

• Like Like x 1
    29. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I still use my LLLT home laser without any positive effect.
      But today I had following thoughts:
      What have a tooth with a inner ear hair cell common? Both can't regenerate.
      Some weeks ago there where news about LLLT with teeth..
      http://wyss.harvard.edu/viewpressrelease/155/
      So why can't LLLT not help inner ear cells to repair?

• Like Like x 1
    30. Ervan
      Blah

Ervan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      • Agree Agree x 1