• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

Hi everyone!
I finally got a prescription for RTG 50mg. Can anyone tell me what's the best way to take it. Also my insurance doesn't cover it and I'll have to pay out of pocket. Anyone knows where's least expensive pharmacy where in NY I can buy it. I really appreciate any answer.

Thank you.

Hi everyone!
I finally got a prescription for RTG 50mg. Can anyone tell me what's the best way to take it. Also my insurance doesn't cover it and I'll have to pay out of pocket. Anyone knows where's least expensive pharmacy where in NY I can buy it. I really appreciate any answer.

Thank you.

You're lucky! I would imagine it'll be the same price everywhere...If I could get one, it'll be free on the NHS.

I took 2 doses of 250mg and i have a very bad worsening.Now i have T on all frequencies from 2 went to 10/10.
I hope that will come back.
The morning i had 0/10 in the day was 0 to 2/10 max and after 2x250mg 10/10.
Also i got a very bad insomnia.
I don't hope anymore on this poison... i don't believe that topic starter cured with trobalt
he cured on its own by spontaneous recovery not trobalt.

Hi everyone!

Thank you.
I'd order from Canada . cheapest way.

I took 2 doses of 250mg and i have a very bad worsening.Now i have T on all frequencies from 2 went to 10/10.
I hope that will come back.
The morning i had 0/10 in the day was 0 to 2/10 max and after 2x250mg 10/10.
Also i got a very bad insomnia.
I don't hope anymore on this poison... i don't believe that topic starter cured with trobalt
he cured on its own by spontaneous recovery not trobalt.

you took 500mg at once ?? it shold get normalized, I dont think is good idea to take higher doses than 400mg, its just weird and i get visual plus sound-hallucinations and not sure if it helps more than 300, i dont know if could cause some t-reaction against high dose, Remember, some of us get a little spike just after taking the pill, before its good effect, if you overdose, that spike could be bigger or unpredictable, i dont know.

@Danny Boy how long have you been on trobalt? when are you planing to taper off, you must know you sholdnt stay there all ur life

@Rog and @Danny Boy feel free to do an update regarding your treatment using the START/PROGRESS FORMS. Anyone else is welcome to do an update too, of course!

Thanks.

No i have taken 250mg in 2 discrete doses each dose 250mg.
Now trobalt eliminated and iam again in 1/10 but i have taken before hours 1.3mg lorazepam.
I think that my T has a lot to do with benzo addiction and relieved with benzos.
I does not stop with benzos because i have big tolerance now they cover only the addiction.
My T responds to GABAa (benzos) receptors not potassium channels.

I have observed that with trobalt my brain identify every sound exist in the backround
i think trobalt stop the sound filters of brain and sounds from backround become important
also T becomes important signal.

I don't what to do trobalt is the same as antidepressants that the first weeks you have worsening of symptoms and after you see improvement ?

before 1 hour took 100mg and changed to better my T
removed a mid frequency discrete T and made
high frequency hissing T in lot of high frequencies but very very low.
Something changes. Yesterday with 2 does of 250mg was a very bad worsening from 2/10 to 10/10.
Today with 100mg from 2/10 to 1/10.
Its crazy med i hope is not ototoxic and do permanent damage in hearing.
I want permanent improvement but not permanent worsening.

Also i notice some anxiety improvement...
I will continue will smaller doses every 2.5 hours i think this is better than 3 doses every 8 hours
because it wears off very quickly.

I see that in latvia / chech / slovenia costs lower price.
Knows anyone an online pharmacy from these countries to buy more ?

I want permanent improvement but not permanent worsening.

Also i notice some anxiety improvement...
I will continue will smaller doses every 2.5 hours i think this is better than 3 doses every 8 hours
because it wears off very quickly.

Do not worry. This drug has not damaged hearing anyone. My neurologist suggested dosing every 6-8 hours. 2.5 hours is too close.
Have you headache?

@1MW what is the cause of your tinnitus? Was it benzo withdrawl or an acoustic trauma?
Thanks
Perhaps was bad sleep for several days and stress for doing a lot of jobs in very little time.
of course i had noise damage because i went in clubs i made myself loudspeakers
and i made explosions with custom made fireworks.
I was all my life in noise... but the problem appeared suddenly after some nights lack of sleep and overstress/overworking/ lot of coffees / cigarettes etc

viking i have headache but i think this is from bad sleep because i get headache in the late hours
after some tiredness

I see, thankyou for your reply @1MW . It seems the damage was already done and stress on the brain caused the thalamic filters to give in and let tinnitus signal thru to the cortex.

No damage doesn't exist !!!!
My audiogram in sleep went 55-60db down and with corticosteroids hearing came back.
The problem in the other ear is probably from birth.
I have stressed my ears a lot but not measurable damage in audiogram happened from noise exposure.
My problem was sudden hearing loss in sleep or after some minutes after sleep.
I don't want to confuse you i had a known problem probably from birth or infection at 1 years old
but the hearing loss in good ear does not occurred by noise exposure occurred in silence and in stress conditions from overworking lack of sleep etc. Prove for this is that 7 days later my hearing came back and the T stopped when hearing came back. My T is close related to hearing not to potassium channels. Every 1db i gained in audiogram T become 1db less loud when audiogram went to 0db T became 0db.

My opinion from my observations is that T has a lot to do deafferentation.
This means that if from birth you have 70db loss and you have no T (because brain developed with this loss its natural to brain this loss)
and after that from an explosion your hearing have 75db loss there is a deafferentation of 5db
and this can be a cause of T. -5db is the trigger not the -70db.
If you loose these 5 db is large time frame naturally brain adapts and no deafferentation exists
so no T.
In my 1 ear have 100db loss and no T because there is not deafferentation
in other i have only 5-10db loss in frequencies 125hz to 8khz and i have bad T because in this ear
had hearing 0-5db before.Only 5db deafferentation can be cause for bad T especially when this does not occur naturally.

No damage doesn't exist !!!!
My audiogram in sleep went 55-60db down and with corticosteroids hearing came back.
The problem in the other ear is probably from birth.
I have stressed my ears a lot but not measurable damage in audiogram happened from noise exposure.
My problem was sudden hearing loss in sleep or after some minutes after sleep.
I don't want to confuse you i had a known problem probably from birth or infection at 1 years old
but the hearing loss in good ear does not occurred by noise exposure occurred in silence and in stress conditions from overworking lack of sleep etc. Prove for this is that 7 days later my hearing came back and the T stopped when hearing came back. My T is close related to hearing not to potassium channels. Every 1db i gained in audiogram T become 1db less loud when audiogram went to 0db T became 0db.

My opinion from my observations is that T has a lot to do deafferentation.
This means that if from birth you have 70db loss and you have no T (because brain developed with this loss its natural to brain this loss)
and after that from an explosion your hearing have 75db loss there is a deafferentation of 5db
and this can be a cause of T. -5db is the trigger not the -70db.
If you loose these 5 db is large time frame naturally brain adapts and no deafferentation exists
so no T.
In my 1 ear have 100db loss and no T because there is not deafferentation
in other i have only 5-10db loss in frequencies 125hz to 8khz and i have bad T because in this ear
had hearing 0-5db before.Only 5db deafferentation can be cause for bad T especially when this does not occur naturally.
Yes I totally concur with your explanation but I think the potassium channels have a lot to do with brain plasticity.

there have questions in my head, do you think trobalt is useful, when your T is totally masked by other sounds?
some clues: after some white noise, T goes Up (reactive).
Neurons are active anyways no? so teorically would be useless, i dont know
the idea is induce silence, and cure will come due to brain plastsicity, if we are not in silence environment, makes it any difference to take trobalt? otherwise we should take it just at night for low T like mine

Other Q: Anyone knows the MOA of why we get silence after resifual inhibition? I've been thinking of put all night a sound of 10sec beep: 4min silence, all night, It is a good idea?
i know one case posibly cured by Residual Inhibition, do u know more cases? maybe combine RTG and RI will be a good idea, RI works better for me while on RTG

Now some other side effects to scare people:
-one time when i was on 400mg high, i could not swallow saliva for 10 seconds, that was scary, i took a glass of water and it was fine.
-this morning i had also blurry vision like danny, it went away after 1h
+When i feel stressed at work some 100 or 200 helps so much, good relief
+aswell as remember dreams, ir also makes u dream before getting totally sleep,
-I had some bad dreams when took 400, never have bad dreams
- (for me) when i am very tired, i took mi dose at night and i doesnt make me high. When i am rested it makes it effect good

Regarding sounds overnight, I tried ARCN twice while sleeping. It helped if I had it on for an hour while awake, but after my overnight sessions, both times it caused me to wake up with a loud spike that went away after about an hour.

Don't know why that would happen but I've gone back to fans and nature sounds for sleep.

there have questions in my head, do you think trobalt is useful, when your T is totally masked by other sounds?
some clues: after some white noise, T goes Up (reactive).
Neurons are active anyways no? so teorically would be useless, i dont know
the idea is induce silence, and cure will come due to brain plastsicity, if we are not in silence environment, makes it any difference to take trobalt? otherwise we should take it just at night for low T like mine

JC...Good question. However, I think the easy answer is: I doubt that MPT and Danny Boy and others who have had reduced T are in anywhere near "silence". In fact Locoyeti was saying how walking out in the noisy street and so forth became so much easier (and has stayed so on zero dose). Etc., etc.
As we know, the reactions/efficacy to Trobalt are all over the map and I think yours will be specific to you. Including whether avoidance of sound would be a "good thing" while having Trobalt, to see what it does ref. brain plasticity. It would be intriguing to know, though sadly would need a really big N sample and one bunch exposed to 'normal tolerated sounds' and the other bunch in a silent retreat with no sounds at all.
It's on my 2015 "wish list" :)

Oh, on a more personal note, I would say if your T is reacting to sound ("white noise T goes up") I would NOT do that. Sounds too much like a SRT/H quality...and it scared the pants off me when on Trobalt. I am not at all convinced that just because you are on Trobalt you cannot get increased/permanent hearing damage, > T, or > H if encountering "over sound exposure". IMHO of course...but I felt that if had not been SUPER isolated with my > H during Trobalt I would have indeed created more H damage. I have no "proof" because I was not dumb enough to test it out. But I know it!!!

Keep posting JC and good questions always.

Take care, Zimichael

For reactive T is very bad to try residual inhibition protocols at sleep this is from my experience.
Reactive T improves with silence total silence or very low sounds.
If you have reactive T and expose yourself to sounds T will become unmanageable.
My T is reactive and i have found that only 0db sleeping room helps
if i sleep with a small noise next day my T is very bad.
I think reactive T is the other face of hyperacusis. Sounds induce new T frequencies and more loud T.
Reactive T sometimes is not hyperacusis but a form of diplacusis.

upload_2015-1-17_15-51-20.png

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now