• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

Hey, here is a question for all trialees.
As you all know, RTG destroys the short term memory

But, did you try thinking of long past events ? I think RTG improves long term memory, because of its "brain filter removal", let's you go deeper in the long past memories. If you didn't try yet, do it!, specially when you are relaxed, before going to sleep for example

I was remembering events from 16 years ago...

But, did you try thinking of long past events ? I think RTG improves long term memory, because of its "brain filter removal", let's you go deeper in the long past memories. If you didn't try yet, do it!, specially when you are relaxed, before going to sleep for example

Lol that is exactly what happens to me. I am remembering names of schoolmates that I haven't seen for 20+ years.
I can't say I have much short term memory loss when I'm on it though. Maybe a bit.
Trobalt is the weirdest drug ever.

I didn't noticed it about past events, but it seems likely to be a side effect of trobalt at least for some people, as it clearly has somme effects on memory in general ... i just noticed that during the highness, i was slower to remember things, but it never lasted for long
Anyway, maybe i didn't noticed it 'cause i always had good long term memory (don't want to sound pretentious, but that's the way it is). I very often remember very old things, just like this, with no reasons or willing to do so (or maybe 'cause i'm a kind of dreamy guy at the basis), my friends or family are sometimes quite surprised about the kind of things and the amount of details even about silly things that come back into my mind even after years, and i never needed trobalt for this ;-)

i think 'destroy' is a loaded word here. for me it is almost exactly like getting high on marijuana. impaired short term memory, but only for the duration of the drug (a few hours). having been off the drug for 6 weeks now I have found no lasting effects of it regarding memory. in terms of long term memories, I have the same experience as Philemon. I think the "brain filter removal" stuff is probably just compensatory activity from depressing immediate short term working memory. again, comparisons to marijuana are unavoidable here. i don't mean to sound confrontational at all, i just want to demystify this drug for potential users. it is not that novel in terms of its effects on memory. although i do agree with undecided - this drug is pretty weird in a lot of other ways... as our many anecdotes during the initial high dosages attest to. i am still glad i tried it out though, and i highly recommend others on this forum try it on a short course. it has been 6 weeks and i have super low tinnitus on my way to habituation, and i am quite certain that retigabine has contributed greatly.

Anyone with permanent effect after stopping it ?
If i get RTG result seen after 40 mins and lasts only 20-30mins maximum
Why only 20-30mins remission ? Have anyone else so reduced time frame of efficiency ?
In what dose can i get 8 hours continuous remission ? (500mg ?)

i think 'destroy' is a loaded word here. for me it is almost exactly like getting high on marijuana. impaired short term memory, but only for the duration of the drug (a few hours). having been off the drug for 6 weeks now I have found no lasting effects of it regarding memory. in terms of long term memories, I have the same experience as Philemon. I think the "brain filter removal" stuff is probably just compensatory activity from depressing immediate short term working memory. again, comparisons to marijuana are unavoidable here. i don't mean to sound confrontational at all, i just want to demystify this drug for potential users. it is not that novel in terms of its effects on memory. although i do agree with undecided - this drug is pretty weird in a lot of other ways... as our many anecdotes during the initial high dosages attest to. i am still glad i tried it out though, and i highly recommend others on this forum try it on a short course. it has been 6 weeks and i have super low tinnitus on my way to habituation, and i am quite certain that retigabine has contributed greatly.
totally agree, yeah sometimes i tend to overload when i speak, the point of my post was about long-term memory improvement, not short term as we all already know that temporary side effect

Anyone with permanent effect after stopping it ?
If i get RTG result seen after 40 mins and lasts only 20-30mins maximum
Why only 20-30mins remission ? Have anyone else so reduced time frame of efficiency ?
In what dose can i get 8 hours continuous remission ? (500mg ?)
My case is also like yours, sometimes last bit more maximum 1h, but i think some users reported longer time, like @Danny Boy or christian, I think that basically depends on:
  • every individual, its methabolism
  • the emptyness of your stomach
  • if you take some drinks, diuretics, tea, juice, it will go away faster. Also if you eat after pill

I eat empty stomach but lasts max 30 mins.
before effect occurs a have dizziness and nystagmous for a little.
Dizziness & nystagmous means that it acts on vestibular system.

How can i get online RTG from italy or other country without prescription or prescription in electronic form ?

I eat empty stomach but lasts max 30 mins.
before effect occurs a have dizziness and nystagmous for a little.
Dizziness & nystagmous means that it acts on vestibular system.

How can i get online RTG from italy or other country without prescription or prescription in electronic form ?

Hey you live in italy, so it's quite easy for you to get it, no need to buy online i think
It's quite easy to buy it directly in Italy without prescription, just call or go to a some pharmacy and find one that is ok to sell it to you without prescription ... that's what i've done, and i'm not the only one in this thread ... ;-)

@Mo_Mo i send pm ti him.
I noticed something very interesting.
With a dose RTG 300mg my T stopped for some minutes completely and H also.
I felt a little stoned and i had slight nystagmous i don't heard my T but when i focused to hear it
i found the T (the same sound) so i think RTG maybe disables your ability to perceive or focus to sounds and not stopping the T itself.
I will verify this with a very silent sound like T from headphones if i hear it without RTG and not hear it with RTG my theory will be correct.

Hello there locoyeti

Sounds like you have had some relative good success with the drug, i have some that I may start to take soon but I am waiting to see if I am accepted onto the AUTIFONY trial here in London first, but my question to you is can you tell me please what sort of dosage you took and how often, was it before or after a meal and did you gradually increase the dosage over a period of time and then gradually reduce until you stopped, would be good to know. ?

Thank you for your time.

Freddie

could you post here briefly please what you took from week one to the last week including your tapering as you seem to have had a great success with it lowering and remaining low.

Thanks
I know that you have put this in users thread but would be helpful here too if possible....

@Freddie @amandine you can do a search for my name and read my posts. i think that is the best way, i can't really summarize everything from memory but i did a good job of cataloging my trial. in general you should make the job of the trialees easier by putting the effort in to get the information you need and not asking for information that is already available - this is your health after all.

the last three days have been incredible. near silence for most of the day, the tinnitus level is a mere whimper. i am simply not bothered at all anymore and am now planning vacations that i thought i would not be able to take for a long time. my rhythmic-somatic t (located behind my ear and the back of my head) has gone away and i have not heard the high pitched peripheral t save for 2 days in the last 6 weeks. On those days i had a touch of hyperacusis as well, but other than those two days, spaced a few days apart, it has been smooth sailing for me. what remains is a super quiet, easily habituate-able 'whimpering' that i sometimes don't even hear. i am very cautious in attributions of causation, but i think it is highly likely that my improvement is directly correlated with retigabine. i am looking forward to the progress of the other trialees that have taken high doses and are tapering off @juancarlos, @rtwombly @Danny Boy @Philemon ...

@Freddie @amandine you can do a search for my name and read my posts. i think that is the best way, i can't really summarize everything from memory but i did a good job of cataloging my trial. in general you should make the job of the trialees easier by putting the effort in to get the information you need and not asking for information that is already available - this is your health after all.

the last three days have been incredible. near silence for most of the day, the tinnitus level is a mere whimper. i am simply not bothered at all anymore and am now planning vacations that i thought i would not be able to take for a long time. my rhythmic-somatic t (located behind my ear and the back of my head) has gone away and i have not heard the high pitched peripheral t save for 2 days in the last 6 weeks. On those days i had a touch of hyperacusis as well, but other than those two days, spaced a few days apart, it has been smooth sailing for me. what remains is a super quiet, easily habituate-able 'whimpering' that i sometimes don't even hear. i am very cautious in attributions of causation, but i think it is highly likely that my improvement is directly correlated with retigabine. i am looking forward to the progress of the other trialees that have taken high doses and are tapering off @juancarlos, @rtwombly @Danny Boy @Philemon ...
@locoyeti since you tapered off do you ever get any fleeting t?

@locoyeti since you tapered off do you ever get any fleeting t?

good question, i'd say it happened maybe two times, which is in line with how often i had it since i got tinnitus. probably even less often. i noticed though that the fleeting t frequency and pitch were much lower than before (it did not 'jar' me, as most high pitched fleeting t used to).

I have a question - has anyone succeeded in getting a doctors prescription for this and even have it payed by their medical plan or insurance? Or do we all need to get it some way from a source on the internet?

btw - fleeting T is nothing to worry about. I don`t see it connected with chronic T in any way. Usually it has to do with oxygen in the brain. If you listen carefully you will notice that when the fleeting T comes also your hearing falls away.

I have a question - has anyone succeeded in getting a doctors prescription for this and even have it payed by their medical plan or insurance? Or do we all need to get it some way from a source on the internet?

btw - fleeting T is nothing to worry about. I don`t see it connected with chronic T in any way. Usually it has to do with oxygen in the brain. If you listen carefully you will notice that when the fleeting T comes also your hearing falls away.

I got if from doctor and it is under insurance for people who have epilepsy.

I took 4 days ago costicosteroide injection (betamethasone) for pains in body and first day tinnitus was terrible, and one day was better then worse, and worse, and every days is worse. I dont know what to do? Any advice, anyone?

I got if from doctor and it is under insurance for people who have epilepsy.

I took 4 days ago costicosteroide injection (betamethasone) for pains in body and first day tinnitus was terrible, and one day was better then worse, and worse, and every days is worse. I dont know what to do? Any advice, anyone?

hi christian i unfortunately don't know much about steroids, but was wondering if maybe it had anything to do with retigabine as well. are you still on retigabine? can you tell us your current dosage schedule?

it is just my opinion, but you have been on retigabine for what is now quite a long time. when i decided to take the drug i went in knowing that i was not going to take it for more than 2 or 3 months. i was wondering what your intentions are in terms of how long you intend on taking the drug. i myself may do another dose in the summer but i will still only take it for 2 months maximum. there are people who have taken this drug daily for long periods of time so it technically is not an issue if you were to take it indefinitely, i was just unaware of how long you intended to be on it.

hi christian i unfortunately don't know much about steroids, but was wondering if maybe it had anything to do with retigabine as well. are you still on retigabine? can you tell us your current dosage schedule?

it is just my opinion, but you have been on retigabine for what is now quite a long time. when i decided to take the drug i went in knowing that i was not going to take it for more than 2 or 3 months. i was wondering what your intentions are in terms of how long you intend on taking the drug. i myself may do another dose in the summer but i will still only take it for 2 months maximum. there are people who have taken this drug daily for long periods of time so it technically is not an issue if you were to take it indefinitely, i was just unaware of how long you intended to be on it.

I was on very low dosage, few of them out total 20 days.
250+200+250

are you still on retigabine?

Chrisitan... "current dosage" is the key aspect here. I too am not sure what you taking regarding Trobalt or 'other drugs/meds'.
If you are still taking Trobalt right now, then Loco is presuming this would qualify for being on it "a long time", solely with reference to us here in TT and the 'tinnitus testing aspects' of evaluating this drug.

Best, Zimichael

Chrisitan... "current dosage" is the key aspect here. I too am not sure what you taking regarding Trobalt or 'other drugs/meds'.
If you are still taking Trobalt right now, then Loco is presuming this would qualify for being on it "a long time", solely with reference to us here in TT and the 'tinnitus testing aspects' of evaluating this drug.
Ask Danny Boy as well cos he has been on it since beginning of November..........and is still on it.

Best, Zimichael

I think consistency in the dosage is important. Say you take 400mg then 500mg, it wouldn't have a positive effect, I have noticed this as it's actually risen my tinnitus, however 400mg x 3 times a day seems to do the trick, so stick to a consistent dose.

Question: Could anyone explain how it takes effect and how it works on the T. Is it you take the pill and x amount of minutes later it kicks in and T goes and stays away for few hours but comes back right before you take the next dose ? ... how does it feel for you guys?

good question, i'd say it happened maybe two times, which is in line with how often i had it since i got tinnitus. probably even less often. i noticed though that the fleeting t frequency and pitch were much lower than before (it did not 'jar' me, as most high pitched fleeting t used to).
Thanks for the response, I'm happy you're doing so well. I read some of your previous posts after the am101 trial where you also mentioned that your t was very low. How much do you attribute to your t being so low now to either Am101 or Trobalt? Or combination of both?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now