Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

Doesn't look like my ENT is going to prescribe me Retigabine. Not sure what I could say to convince him? Should I try my psychiatrist? I'm bipolar and have been on seizure medications for mood stabilizers before that he has prescribed so maybe he would be okay with prescribing Retigabine?

Or should I see a neurologist? I have a neurologist since I have sleep apnea, wonder if he would give me Retigabine? I need this drug in my blood now.
Ok one word for you -

S P A I N

I don't think it's a good idea in general to take that medicine , so when u have to tapper of it ? Then what maybe it becomes worse or it will go back to square one . So I'm always with the idea of habituation

Well I really hate to keep speaking for @Danny Boy but what the hell..he had burning pee for awhile..This isn't common occurrence in male population Christian.

anyways..that's all I know.

well it is not common, but it is not uncommon becouse cold water and so on + his girlfriend ... :D it becomes common ;)

I don't think it's a good idea in general to take that medicine , so when u have to tapper of it ? Then what maybe it becomes worse or it will go back to square one . So I'm always with the idea of habituation

I agree, but what if your t is severe, as i think your is not, what if you cant sleep in night and so on, let me see you after 5 night without sleep...

+ danny boy and MPT used that medicine and they permanently reduced their tinnitus

I agree, but what if your t is severe, as i think your is not, what if you cant sleep in night and so on, let me see you after 5 night without sleep...

+ danny boy and MPT used that medicine and they permanently reduced their tinnitus
You still try you're best to sleep , or use natural calming remedies , workouts , camomile tea ,GABA pills , relaxed music , there are ways to cope my moms friend has it severe

How can you prove it ? And I'm not sure , but I didn't hear that they tapered of it yet ,

MPT is not using any trobalt, danny uses only 400mg/per day , dosage he was using or me is 3x 400mg = 1200mg per day...

to get any effect you need 800mg per day and he uses 400 for sleeping

You still try you're best to sleep , or use natural calming remedies , workouts , camomile tea ,GABA pills , relaxed music , there are ways to cope my moms friend has it severe

GABA pills dont cross into brain, just into muscles, music is good, joga, walking speaking with people, physical exercise make you sleep harder, i give you here one trick but it will be hard for you to find a machine, i use one that has a sound similar to fridge, and i use pillow with feathers, so vibration and sound from machine can be heard even if you lay on a pillow, pillow conducts an sound.

and yes mine got worse and i read from statistic 90% (correct me if i am wrong) got their tinnitus worsened by time... so .... my is progressive, starts on birthday 2013 august, increased 200% may 2014, increased because simple vaccine of corticosteroids 30% feb 12 2015, and last 30 days it went up 5%...

I can not import trobalt anymore i have only 6 pills.
Nazis closed the banks i have cash money but i can not send them by bank or cc or paypal
I have not been following this thread at all and do not know the issues here - but since Trobalt seems to work so incredibly well for you, is there anything I can do to help?

I live in Massachusetts. Ritigabine is available, yet no doctor wants to prescribe it to me. This is maddening. My T is ruining my life and theirs a drug out there that can help, yet doctors don't want to help me out.

I live in Massachusetts. Ritigabine is available, yet no doctor wants to prescribe it to me. This is maddening. My T is ruining my life and theirs a drug out there that can help, yet doctors don't want to help me out.
It is maddening. I used to Skype with a bloke with severe T who really wanted to try Trobalt but his doctors in the States did not give it. He ended his own life.

Do you mean 400mg per day or per dosage maybe once or twice or three times per day?
thanks for clarification

I mean per a dose. Don't ever exceed it, if it lowers your tinnitus below 400mg stick to that. If you only need 400x2 do that. Just don't overdo it with trobalt, it's dangerous.

Hang in there- I managed to get it and it wasn't the golden bullet I thought it was. It also can cause some serious side effects. You can make it through this. Reach out for support here, the people are truly the best.

Hang in there- I managed to get it and it wasn't the golden bullet I thought it was. It also can cause some serious side effects. You can make it through this. Reach out for support here, the people are truly the best.

So it didn't work for you?

So it didn't work for you?
It did affect me. But it was nothing insane or magical. I did have some good moments but it was really messing me up. I also didn't make it beyond 600 mg a day. I think the full dosage or 900 day could have done something more possibly. But it f---Ed me up. NOT GOOD FOR PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION

So from what I'm getting from following this thread is that Trobalt was only effective for less than a handful of the people who tried it and therefore the idea that potassium channel modulators may not be the next big thing to help us including what Autifony's got going. :unsure:

So from what I'm getting from following this thread is that Trobalt was only effective for less than a handful of the people who tried it and therefore the idea that potassium channel modulators may not be the next big thing to help us including what Autifony's got going. :unsure:

Well, trobalt and Autifony work on different channels, so they function differently. Also people give up on trobalt, due to side-effects, so that messes with results. Not many people get up to 1,200mg due to side effects. We don't know the true figure as the dosage needs to be correct. I wouldn't write Autifony off, as their science make sense.

"2 Illinois College, Jacksonville IL USA 3 Autifony Therapeutics Limited, London, UK

Kv3.1 channels are voltage-gated potassium channels that enable fast repolarization of the neuronal action potential, and are essential for the high frequency, high fidelity firing of neurons in the auditory brainstem and midbrain. Altered activity of these neurons has been implicated in the generation of tinnitus induced by noise exposure. Furthermore, loss of Kv3 channel function has been observed shortly after noise exposure, which may contribute to the maladaptive plasticity leading to the emergence of tinnitus. In the current study, 20 Long Evans rats (and 10 sham controls) were exposed to a unilateral 116 dB, 16 kHz octave-band noise for one hour in order to induce temporary hearing loss and chronic tinnitus. Thirty days after the noise exposure, a subset of approximately half of the noise exposed rats demonstrated deficits in auditory gap processing, consistent with the presence of tinnitus. All 30 rats were administered 30 and 60 mg/kg of AUT3 (a Kv3.1 positive modulator) and vehicle in a counterbalanced order, with 48-hours washout between treatments. Both the 30 and 60 mg/kg doses of AUT3 abolished evidence of tinnitus, while the drug had no effect on the behaviour of control animals or noise-exposed animals without tinnitus. These results suggest that AUT3 has potential in the treatment of chronic tinnitus associated with noise-induced hearing loss."

It did affect me. But it was nothing insane or magical. I did have some good moments but it was really messing me up. I also didn't make it beyond 600 mg a day. I think the full dosage or 900 day could have done something more possibly. But it f---Ed me up. NOT GOOD FOR PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION
Can you explain a bit more why you think its not good for poeple with depression?

I`m about to get another batch from spain and will continue to 1200 mg this time for atleast a few months as long as my body can handle it ...

Can you explain a bit more why you think its not good for poeple with depression?

I`m about to get another batch from spain and will continue to 1200 mg this time for atleast a few months as long as my body can handle it ...

You're on 1200mg nills?

GABA supplements are useless as they can't pass the blood brain barrier.

My comments were in reference to helping people sleep. I'm guessing you didn't read the reviews. Most of those people who are better able to sleep because of GABA supplements don't even know what the BBB is, but it's working for them.

One of the foremost respected sites for supplement information has this to report about GABA: "In adults, GABA in systemic circulation seems to have very minimal uptake rates into brain tissue. Youth seem to have greater blood brain barrier (BBB) permeability. It appears to suppress its own entry across the blood brain barrier when in systemic excess, and shares this ability with Beta-Alanine , although GABA was more potent in this regard. Nitric oxide (NO) seems to be able to increase blood brain barrier permeability to GABA significantly."

http://examine.com/supplements/GABA/

In other words, difficult does not necessarily mean impossible. Also, because everyone is different, crossing the BBB may be easier for some than others. There are hundreds of supplements which do not cross the BBB but due to their mechanism of action they are effective nonetheless.

My comments were in reference to helping people sleep. I'm guessing you didn't read the reviews. Most of those people who are better able to sleep because of GABA supplements don't even know what the BBB is, but it's working for them.

One of the foremost respected sites for supplement information has this to report about GABA: "In adults, GABA in systemic circulation seems to have very minimal uptake rates into brain tissue. Youth seem to have greater blood brain barrier (BBB) permeability. It appears to suppress its own entry across the blood brain barrier when in systemic excess, and shares this ability with Beta-Alanine , although GABA was more potent in this regard. Nitric oxide (NO) seems to be able to increase blood brain barrier permeability to GABA significantly."

http://examine.com/supplements/GABA/

In other words, difficult does not necessarily mean impossible. Also, because everyone is different, crossing the BBB may be easier for some than others. There are hundreds of supplements which do not cross the BBB but due to their mechanism of action they are effective nonetheless.

Here you go-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picamilon

Picamilon (also known as nicotinoyl-GABA, pycamilon, and pikamilon) is a dietary supplement formed by combining niacin with GABA. It was developed in the Soviet Union in 1969 by the All-Union Vitamins Scientific Research Institute[1][2][full citation needed] and further studied in bothRussia[3] and Japan as a prodrug of GABA.[4]

Picamilon is sold in the United States as a dietary supplement, while in Russia it is sold as a prescription drug. The rights to the drug belong to the Russian pharmaceutical company NPK ECHO ("НПК ЭХО").

Picamilon is able to cross the blood–brain barrier[5] and then is hydrolyzed into GABA and niacin.[citation needed] The released GABA in theory would activate GABA receptors potentially producing an anxiolytic response.[6] The second released component, niacin acts as a strong vasodilator,[7]which might be useful for the treatment of migraine headaches.[8][9]

@Danny Boy ... Right, I'm familiar with the discussions on TT regarding Picamilon as it relates to potentially helping to treat tinnitus. To my disappointment, I don't think anyone on this forum was recommending it. The Examiner article points to the combo of GABA with nitric oxide. I did a quick search for it on Amazon and it seems to be a body-building supplement found in, for example, arginine. I didn't have time to delve any further into it.

I would take Trobalt/Potiga if I could get my hands on it (and find a doctor willing to follow up with tests), and then let the chips fall where they may. It may be dangerous, but the unrelenting stress of dealing with tinnitus is also wreaking havoc on me for over a year now. I might be one of the lucky ones and get good results, especially since I've been borderline narcoleptic for many years. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

@Danny Boy ... Right, I'm familiar with the discussions on TT regarding Picamilon as it relates to potentially helping to treat tinnitus. To my disappointment, I don't think anyone on this forum was recommending it. The Examiner article points to the combo of GABA with nitric oxide. I did a quick search for it on Amazon and it seems to be a body-building supplement found in, for example, arginine. I didn't have time to delve any further into it.

I would take Trobalt/Potiga if I could get my hands on it (and find a doctor willing to follow up with tests), and then let the chips fall where they may. It may be dangerous, but the unrelenting stress of dealing with tinnitus is also wreaking havoc on me for over a year now. I might be one of the lucky ones and get good results, especially since I've been borderline narcoleptic for many years. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I understand completely. I'm sorry you are suffering so much.

I understand completely. I'm sorry you are suffering so much.
I know you understand. I remember reading your initial posts. You worried a lot of the members of this forum, but they were giving you good feedback and support. I'm truly glad you found relief. :)

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now