Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

If you would take...I don't know...10 000 mg in one dose! I'm sure it would kill you, or at least get very close to death. Every drug has a dose where it turns lethal. They actually test this out in animals before starting trials with people. Just so they can be pretty sure they're playing in the safe zone.
it happen somewhere when i started using trobalt to forgot i took dosage so i took 600mg in 1,5h and almost drop dead :)

later on 500mg i would have no reaction

I have a prescription but insurance won't cover it. Has anyone had any luck getting insurance to cover Potiga when they don't have seizures in the United States? Also, Rite Aid wanted 1000 dollars for a month supply. Where is the cheapest legitimate place I could get the prescription filled and the cost?

If you have a written prescription you can go online and Google Canadian pharmacies. The only problem is it can take up to two weeks. Make sure you have refills. Makes it easier to reorder. It is about one third the price. Good luck:)

So... I started Trobalt yesterday, 23/12.
3x200mg daily, no change in T, no side effects!
I wonder if GSK packed tic taks in my box:)
Even when I used in the past, on as needed basis, it never had any effect on drone/engine noise I have, it helped with hissing though.

I wish I knew someone in France. Someone told me you don't need prescription in France, is this true?

No, you need a prescription in France to get retigabine... Legally speaking, you need a prescription in almost all european countries, at the least the ones that apply EMA's rules (including Italy, Spain), as far as i know ... It's just that it seems easier in some countries (Italy and Spain for example) to buy it without prescription (i.e. illegally) in a pharmacy ... I bought it in Italy quite easily, and i highly doubt it could have been that simple in France or Switzerland for example (not saying it's impossible though)

No, you need a prescription in France to get retigabine... Legally speaking, you need a prescription in almost all european countries, at the least the ones that apply EMA's rules (including Italy, Spain), as far as i know ... It's just that it seems easier in some countries (Italy and Spain for example) to buy it without prescription (i.e. illegally) in a pharmacy ... I bought it in Italy quite easily, and i highly doubt it could have been that simple in France or Switzerland for example (not saying it's impossible though)
Could I use an American prescription and get it delivered from France? Its so cheap there.

I'm trying trileptal right now.
Some people try trileptal if their brain becomes resistant to other meds. I think trileptal has higher side effects though, but that may vary from person to person. Your primary care Dr. or psychiatrist would know more about that though. I believe I tried trileptal for a short while.

I have a prescription but insurance won't cover it. Has anyone had any luck getting insurance to cover Potiga when they don't have seizures in the United States? Also, Rite Aid wanted 1000 dollars for a month supply. Where is the cheapest legitimate place I could get the prescription filled and the cost?

Try www.blueskydrugs.com

Had a bad reaction today. Took 400 mg before bed at 8:30 pm and took 300mg at 2:30 am (I thought it was 4:30 am). Accidentally took 300mg in the afternoon - instead of 200mg). I felt groggy all morning. Took all on an empty stomach because busy with kids. About a half hour later started shaking, could not let go of the spatula and pan (cooking breakfasts for my children). Called my husband to take over. He could not loosen my grip on the pan. Fainted right there. He caught me before I fell into the stove. I was out for about 30 minutes. I had a loud hissing/buzzing sound sound in my head for about an hour after I woke up and it went down to a 8-9/10. It's a soft hissing but loud - hard to mask. Also, when I closed my eyes I saw the outline of blue stars that would get smaller before another one showed up. Don't know if that makes any sense. I am still a little sedated right now and will probably take a lower dose before I go to bed. It's the first spike I've had in almost 2 weeks. When this happens early in the morning my T usually goes down. First time this has ever happened in the afternoon. In the beginning when I started taking Trobalt I never experienced any side effects but then had to stop because I ran out. When I restarted at the same dose (200mg TID) 2 weeks later I began to experience moderate side effects right away plus my T was lower (0-2) for several days. Can someone enlighten me here?

Had a bad reaction today. Took 400 mg before bed at 8:30 pm and took 300mg at 2:30 am (I thought it was 4:30 am). Accidentally took 300mg in the afternoon - instead of 200mg). I felt groggy all morning. Took all on an empty stomach because busy with kids. About a half hour later started shaking, could not let go of the spatula and pan (cooking breakfasts for my children). Called my husband to take over. He could not loosen my grip on the pan. Fainted right there. He caught me before I fell into the stove. I was out for about 30 minutes. I had a loud hissing/buzzing sound sound in my head for about an hour after I woke up and it went down to a 8-9/10. It's a soft hissing but loud - hard to mask. Also, when I closed my eyes I saw the outline of blue stars that would get smaller before another one showed up. Don't know if that makes any sense. I am still a little sedated right now and will probably take a lower dose before I go to bed. It's the first spike I've had in almost 2 weeks. When this happens early in the morning my T usually goes down. First time this has ever happened in the afternoon. In the beginning when I started taking Trobalt I never experienced any side effects but then had to stop because I ran out. When I restarted at the same dose (200mg TID) 2 weeks later I began to experience moderate side effects right away plus my T was lower (0-2) for several days. Can someone enlighten me here?

You had an epileptic attack on a high dose of Trobalt. I believe it's called a paradoxical side effect, when the medication you take to treat a certain condition actually causes the symptoms of the condition.

You also mention that you fainted and almost injured yourself. That is actually quite serious and the first time I've read something like that. Maybe you can set up a reminder on your phone marking the intervals at which you should take the drug so that you won't accidentally mix up your doses.

I also had some visual artifacts when I closed my eyes but I wouldn't worry about that too much, It went away after I stopped the medication.

@LetyO
Exactly the same thing happen to me about three times and it usually involved either raising the dosage to rapidly or taking it on an empty stomach or a combination of both. Thats what i called the weird effect that up to now i have not seen anyone describe it as well as you did even at high dosages. I know exactly how you felt and the visual effects that you had are called Photopsia, it has many causes including retinal and or vitreous detachment among many. I went inmmediatly to an ophtalmologist and he did not find any retinal or vireous detachment in the mutiple tests he did so he attributed them to probably the effect of the drug in the way the neurons fire on the visual cortex. I did become aware while taking trobalt for a while of the presence of floaters, i think it might had been from the drug but its hard to tell because i am over 40 and floaters are very common so i dont know exactly if they form because ot trobalt or if the drug may me more aware of them. The only thing i can tell you is that i stop taking the drug on the 17 of december and they have become more and more less noticible (in any case they dont bother me and only noticible if i look for them in a bright background). As of know my tinnitus remains low (2 maybe from a 7 when i started the drug). I do get random spikes but not usually up to 7 and very limited in time that are usually work or anxiety related. Hope that helps, maybe you should go see an opthalmologist just in case so he can check your retina, that will be my only advice. Also you should stay at the lower dose that you feel overall its affecting your tinnitus, do not try to reach the zero effect by raising the dosage or taking it on an empty stomach. Hope it helps..

Hello! I hope someone who tried Trobalt is online now. I started taking Trobalt last night, I took 200 mg last night and today 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg in the afternoon. I am 21 years old. I am dissapointed, no change at all in my t, sometimes it's even louder or more annoying. It is supposed to help me. I am sad and dissapointed because I saw here were some persons who reported a benefit after they took it. What should I do? Give it more time? Is it possible in time to help me or to have any positive effect on me?

Hello! I hope someone who tried Trobalt is online now. I started taking Trobalt last night, I took 200 mg last night and today 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg in the afternoon. I am 21 years old. I am dissapointed, no change at all in my t, sometimes it's even louder or more annoying. It is supposed to help me. I am sad and dissapointed because I saw here were some persons who reported a benefit after they took it. What should I do? Give it more time? Is it possible in time to help me or to have any positive effect on me?
200 mg per day is a very low dose. Drs suggest 600 - 1,200 mg per day.

It is my first day, I am afraid to take 1200 mg per day, I have to taper on, like in the prospect says, in the first week you have to take 100 mg 3 times/day and in the second week increase the dose with 50 mg. I am sad that I don't see any benefit, today I took 100 mg 3 times/day, last night I took 200 mg. If I listen to it it's the same, or even more annoying, maybe because I am sad and anxious too. I expected at least a little benefit.

A lot of people can't have access to trobalt. You have this chance, just wait a bit & keep calm :)
Good luck
@Mithrandir, Have you tried Trobalt and if so did it help you? @Hope2015 wanted some advice from someone who is currently using or has used Trobalt in the past. I have not as I think the risk-benefit ratio is too high.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now