• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

Just finished my 1st week on retigabine 50mgx3 a day.
Today i will increase to 50x2 and 100x1. Have i noticed improvements? Definetly yes! My T get really reactive in the past month, but now I can stay in a loud environment and don't have spikes. Sometimes happens still but it is not as loud as before.

About my T: i had earring loss since I was i child, but on December 2012 i had my onset of mr T. It was a really stressful moment for me: moving to Hong Kong from Italy, my final paper at university and other personal issue.

In want to see a world without Mr T.

I wonder why there have been no follow up Retigabine studies on a chronic tinnitus rat model? If one study found to abolish tinnitus in acute cases...why not follow that up? Or have there been successful follow ups with retigabine (and not published)?? Maybe this is where aut00063 spawned from?

No idea what I'm talking about...more just thinking out loud.

@benryu has spent a fare amount of time answering questions, (this one included), And you answered this one yourself! "Maybe this is where aut00063 spawned from?".
Horses for courses, Retigabine targets a certain gated ion channel, not specifically the Tinnitus causing one, Aut00063 will specifically target the Tinnitus causing channel!

All you need to know here! http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/understanding-the-transmission-of-nerve-impulses.html

Rich

@benryu has spent a fare amount of time answering questions, (this one included), And you answered this one yourself! "Maybe this is where aut00063 spawned from?".
Horses for courses, Retigabine targets a certain gated ion channel, not specifically the Tinnitus causing one, Aut00063 will specifically target the Tinnitus causing channel!

All you need to know here! http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/understanding-the-transmission-of-nerve-impulses.html

Rich

Yeah I get the connection between the two drugs.

Thanks for the condescending reply...I will check out the link.

Just finished my 1st week on retigabine 50mgx3 a day.
Today i will increase to 50x2 and 100x1. Have i noticed improvements? Definetly yes! My T get really reactive in the past month, but now I can stay in a loud environment and don't have spikes. Sometimes happens still but it is not as loud as before.

About my T: i had earring loss since I was i child, but on December 2012 i had my onset of mr T. It was a really stressful moment for me: moving to Hong Kong from Italy, my final paper at university and other personal issue.

In want to see a world without Mr T.

I'm very happy for you...no doubt,italians are the bravest :p

Yeah I get the connection between the two drugs.

Thanks for the condescending reply...I will check out the link.

My apologies if you read my reply to you as condescending, it was not my intention to patronize you, that is not my style I was just trying to be helpful!
All though I can't for the life of me work out how you took this to be condescending??????:dunno:
If you already got it, why the question????

Regards Rich

I am 5th day on entry level dose 50mg 3x per day. White noise type hissing little bit softer than before. Tones in both ears without changes. BUT - central - head T wich i have too is maybe 50% quieter than before. I think it is not placebo effect. I was jogging yesterday and always after it, central T is loud. But yesterday (first run with retigabine in veins) wasnt. I am curious, what happens after increase from 50 to 100mg.

Adverse effect - bladder - i feel mild pressure in it. Feeilings are similar to cold bladder. Urinea color ok.

Hm... i will try some tea or what for bladder. Why is this part of body afected?
I jumped in at 100 3x a/day feeling like I maybe should have ramped up from 50 mg 3x a day... I have felt some mild pressure on bladder as well(but no changes in urine color).
Only been on it for 1.66 days now so don't want to judge so soon. Definitely felt less reactive today (central T that feels like a high sound emulating out of my head) and is not bothering me right now. Great to hear about your progress @Johnoand Matteo (Sorry don't know your user number and I'm editing in this response in HTML mode !

My apologies if you read my reply to you as condescending, it was not my intention to patronize you, that is not my style I was just trying to be helpful!
All though I can't for the life of me work out how you took this to be condescending??????:dunno:
If you already got it, why the question????

Regards Rich

Rich

I didn't know that autifony-autooo63 was spawned directly as a result of retigabine!??? I have never read that anywhere. I know Glaxosmithkline created retigabine and spun off autifony, but I had no idea this was the known reason (I thought I was just speculating) But apparently "Horses for courses"!!!

Maybe you can send me the link where benryu covered this already?I must have totally missed the boat here!!!

I hope no one else spends a fair amount of time covering things that I miss!! Then again, thanks for calling me out on it Rich!!

I didn't know that autifony-autooo63 was spawned directly as a result of retigabine!??? I have never read that anywhere. I know Glaxosmithkline created retigabine and spun off autifony, but I had no idea this was the known reason (I thought I was just speculating) But apparently "Horses for courses"!!!

Maybe you can send me the link where benryu covered this already?I must have totally missed the boat here!!!

I hope no one else spends a fair amount of time covering things that I miss!! Then again, thanks for calling me out on it Rich!!

It's a long thread so things are easily missed, especially if one was to join late, @Telis it would be well worth your while to read the thread from the start as there is allot of scientific notes that will make understanding the science of it a heck of a lot easier!

guys relax, this bickering is so silly really o_O Telis, we are all in the same "boat" lol.
these are all assumptions and educated guesses.

There is no assumptions in the science of these drugs @dan, the science behind them has been proven through years of scientific research and predicted outcomes, and it has all lead to these upcoming trials!
That my dear T friends is why people are most excited!

No bickering here!:beeranimation:

Regards Rich

dear colleagues of T suffering

i live in Itlay, Verona, where Romeo and Julietta .....bla,bla,bla
i fee ok,i have Free T periods for some hours during the day
Retigabine is like a filter for the brain, T is held at a distance, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exista anymore.
The cause of my T is my cervical spine. I've been already operated for C5-C6 hernia. My cervical spine muscle are wasted.. for years and years of suffering... I've counted 20 trigger points in this aria.
Retigabine relaxex my muscle... so T goes down and also retigabine highers the threshold of pain.
I also uso tramadolo or oxycontin... so the pain in my cervical spine almost disappeared.
Now I can do my spine streching and corrct my posture.
when I do streching now, every joint of my spine crunches like never did before.
so my intention is to keep taking retigabine for some month in the meanwhile work my spine... and also with a little help of my brain plasticity i hope to get better.....

sincerely yours :))

Wanted to give a big shout out to all those taking part in this self study of Retigabine re potassium channel openers and t. T sufferers taking research and study into our own hands. Inspired and hopeful.
Thanks for keeping the updates here for us in the first post @Markku
I think the world will be following.

Totally agree @Lisa88
I'm going to be so bold and quote myself from another thread:

"I would not underestimate the scientific discussions going on here on this part of the site. Discussions like these may even play a crucial part in solving this torturing puzzle."

That applies very much to this thread too. But here it's not only a discussion, it's an actual study. Small and unprofessional perhaps, but still an experiment of scientific value. I salute everyone of you brave people for doing this experiment :)

"I would not underestimate the scientific discussions going on here on this part of the site. Discussions like these may even play a crucial part in solving this torturing puzzle." :)
I could not agree more. More people are coming on board in this self-trial. They are actually getting improvements with a mix of results, documenting side effects. This can not be denied nor go unnoticed. This is huge!!!!! Wake u medical community. Maybe they already have in the way of AUT00063 and Am102. I really hope so.

Maybe someone who has a little bit of know-how regarding this stuff do some kind of form that the people here that are trying Potiga could fill out. It could include things like when they got T, and how, age, dose, results, etc. I think we should compile this stuff somehow!

Potiga/Retigabine review notes - August 31st 2013

OK, I want to start with a 'warning and disclaimer/explanation' here.

:arghh: LPA!!! = LONG POST ALERT!!! (But a helluva lot shorter than it could be!)

This post is just a somewhat cavalier summary of some of my conclusions, observations, wonderings, outright confusion, amazement, cautions and general recognition of my ignorance, in relation to Retigabine = Potiga (in USA and Canada) = Trobalt in the civilized world.

I have been perusing a lot of documentation to get a better handle on this drug and understand the risks as well as how it works. I have never, in all my years, scrutinized a drug as thoroughly as this. Yet I must admit, that there are indeed some definite outstanding (as in "we have no idea yet!") issues with it. Perhaps you will see that as you go along for the ride…if you go along!

So if I haven't scared you off yet, here's my conclusory killer app. for the really impatient…I am going to take this drug asap if Autifony does not pull wick and announce their Phase II guidelines this week.

Alright…there you go. Now I can concentrate on the die-hards who are into the meat and potatoes of this thread and med. The rest is for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, this is a SUMMARY! It is by no means complete. It is by no means objective…in fact it's massively subjective, as I only go into aspects or sections that interested or concerned me. I am hoping some of you will pull it to pieces and kick it around the block. Add to it. Agree with it. Whatever…Ultimately I hope it will be helpful.

I have "uploaded" (if it works as Markku says)…my two Word documents wherein I took my notes, cuts and pastes, and so forth from the pertinent original source material. That is where you will find my extracted details of what I present in brief below. These are just my notes OK, though they cover a number of the areas we have been thrashing around on this thread since day one, plus some cool details on what our great Oracle (@benryu), and others, have been teaching us. Where you see an * and italics, that's me = my wise-arse comment or whatever. [Ahaaa...I think they up-booted to the bottom of this post. Super!]

Below, I will try and make sure that I put extracts and quotes from sources in a different font colour so that they stand out a bit from the font I am using here. I don't want to italicize as it may get confusing.

The Australian Public Assessment Report of October 2013 (which kicked into the thread a few times early on, but a bear to read) is the definitive article/source/document on Retigabine IMHO. This AUS report is where I got most of my detail, though splashed around elsewhere as you will see if you read the docs.

Speaking of which, it is somewhat intriguing that the Aussies have still not put the stuff on the market according to our 'down under' friends. They write Tablet of Moses on the stuff yet hold the release??? Veeeery interesting, as Shultz used to say. (You have to have been around in the 50's). Also what is interesting is that of the three main, up front uber warnings on the FDA sheet that jazz posted a long time ago, only the second one – urinary retention, is given any significant play in the AUS Report. This is weird to me, as the whole vision thing and pigmentation thing is basically ignored, yet the AUS Report is dated October, 2013!!! This is all they give us more or less:

Following completion of the clinical evaluation report, the sponsor advised of additional safety issues of discolouration of the nails, skin and mucosal surfaces and an isolated case of retinal pigmentation.

What happened??? Why so little??? I mean dig this below from May 10th 2013… http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/803825

A Startling New Side Effect
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a drug safety communication[1]on April 26, 2013, alerting the medical community that ezogabine (Potiga™; GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina), one of the newest antiepileptic drugs, may cause blue-gray skin discoloration and retinal pigment changes.

Incidentally, if you get kicked out of this link or unable to open it because it asks for a login, clear your cache and cookies and you should be able to access it. This may work with other "no access" sites too. You get one look then 'fired'.

And then stuff like this (check the dates!)…

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/news/news/trobalt-warning-effects-skin-and-eyes [05/09/2013]

Extract… Trobalt is manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline, which is now working with the FDA on gathering information on these side-effects. Speaking to the press, a spokesperson from GSK said: "Patient safety is GSK's top priority, which is why we continue to monitor patients who participated in our clinical trials after the medicine has been approved by regulators.

"In the case of retigabine, we became aware that after prolonged treatment (generally more than two years) some of these patients have developed a blue-grey discolouration of the nails, lips, skin and in some cases, eye tissues.

"We have informed the regulatory authorities about this and are working with them to update the medicine's labeling and develop an associated communication to healthcare providers."

Anyway, I suggest everyone go back and look at page 1 of this Retigabine thread and re-familiarize yourselves with the basic warnings that came out back then. It's easy to lose sight of them in the "Kudzu" growth speed of all this.

This (c/o jazz) is I believe release dated in April, 2013 (though the FDA sheet it says Nov. 6th 2013) http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/UCM259619.pdf

SO YEAH, DO THE EYE EXAM THING AND BE AWARE OF ANY CHANGES IN VISION AFTER A LIKLEY BLURRING INITIALLY THAT SHOULD GO AWAY QUICKLY.

Pill splitting! Check this out...

Immediate release, film coated tablets in a wide range of strengths are proposed: 50, 100, 200, 300 and 400 mg. These are all made from a common granulate using conventional excipients (which are unlikely to react with the nucleophilic drug). The five strengths are distinguished by tablet markings, colour and/or shape. The proposed tablets are not scored.

Retigabine is taken orally in three divided doses each day, with or without food. "The tablets should be swallowed whole, and not chewed, crushed or divided." Doses are titrated.

Ahhhh, so tell me. If this is a "common granulate" why the hell should it not be divided??? If we are talking $$$ and titration, it is a helluva lot cheaper to use 100 mg tablets and cut them than 50 mg tablets. Sure is what I intend to do.

Now the other issue here is that these are obviously not "time release" either, so the TID ~ three times a day aspect is implying an effort to keep plasma levels of the drug fairly constant. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23342983 The median half life is supposedly 6-8 hours, so with my plan to titrate up super slow I am going to have issues with plasma levels if I don't do a three times a day regime. Ummmmmmm…well, I will have to think about that.

The urinary retention issue comes up and seems to be one of the few "Uh-oh" aspects in our current guinea pig heroes. Well this explains why:

KCNQ1 subunits are predominantly expressed in the heart and vasculature, cochlea, intestine and kidney. KCNQ subunits 2-5 are predominantly expressed in the nervous system, although they have also been localised to vascular smooth muscle, and a study by the sponsor demonstrated expression of KCNQ1, KCNQ3, and KCNQ5 subunits in rat urinary bladder smooth muscle cells. In addition, a functional study indicates that (as yet unidentified) KCNQ subunits are expressed in gall bladder smooth muscle. KCNQ5 also shows widespread expression in the CNS, often co localised with KCNQ2 and 3.

Our old friend GABA and the Benzo's question! They consider it a "non issue"…

Non KCNQ effects of retigabine
The anticonvulsant activity of retigabine may also involve potentiation of GABAergic inhibitory neurotransmission, although results have been somewhat contradictory. Retigabine (1-10 μM) enhanced GABA mediated currents in primary cortical neurones from fetal rats in vitro, and (at 10-50 μM) dose dependently enhanced monosynaptically evoked inhibitory currents mediated by GABAA activation. However, sponsor studies indicated that retigabine does not appear to interact directly with the GABAA, GABAB, or benzodiazepine receptor binding sites, and did not show agonist, antagonist, or modulatory activity on GABAA α3β3γ2 subunits expressed in HEK293 cells. Retigabine may instead interact with the steroid binding site, since, in the former study, the potentiating effects of GABAergic currents by retigabine and 5-alpha-dihydroprogesterone were not additive. In addition, an allosteric interaction between retigabine and GABA at the picrotoxin site has been demonstrated.

Other reported actions of retigabine in vitro include reductions in depolarisation induced increases in neuronal intracellular calcium concentration, prevention of stimulation by the pro convulsant 4AP of de novo synthesis of glutamate, aspartate and GABA (while increasing their de novo synthesis in the absence of 4AP) and lowering of brain concentrations of glutamate and glutamine, while GABA transaminase activity was reduced. These effects are likely to be mediated by the actions of retigabine on KCNQ2 and KCNQ3 channel subunits. Inhibition of voltage gated sodium and calcium channels was also reported, but these effects are not anticipated to be relevant clinically, since they were only relatively modest even at supra therapeutic retigabine concentrations of 10-100 μM.

The whole auditory and Tinnitus connection. As we know, it was totally glossed over in the Retigabine release info. Yeah they may indeed have already been funneling energy into Autifony (see in main thread for more). In the AUS Report, this is about it. Big deal huh???!!!

CNS
…..Based on these results, there may be some potential for mildly impaired CNS activity with retigabine at higher clinical doses.
…..Based on the results of in vitro studies demonstrating KCNQ4 channel localisation in the inner ear, and the activity of retigabine on this subtype of KCNQ channel, perturbations of inner ear function might be anticipated with high doses of retigabine, but these have not been assessed in the nonclinical studies.

Now something that I noticed coming up far more (plus other sources) was the cardiac and arterial/circulatory implications. If you look into that in my supplemental notes my bottom line recommendation is: DO REGULAR BLOOD PRESSURE CHECKS ON YOURSELF and be aware if you get any goofy heart or pulse shit happening! I don't think we have emphasized this enough so far.

Incidentally I bought a really good Omron (no, not Moron) blood pressure monitor not long ago on Amazon for $30 and it is super. (I was getting crazy high readings in doc's office like 145/95, but at home I get more like 115/75 and so on. There's a name for this "doctor's office visit phenomenon" or something, yet I have zero doc anxiety I'm aware of. After all it was his floor I threw up on after IV-NAC so they should be the anxious ones, not me! But I digress…).

A final mulling…Based on how Retigabine is detoxified it may not be a bad idea to do IM (intra-muscular) injections of Glutathione – yeah no fun jabbing yourself in the leg every few days! Or maybe the oral liposomal version. Glutathione is fundamental to detox pathways and if you have any shortages there bad things can happen. However, I have no idea how effective supplementation is or event the IM stuff. I did a ton of them over many months when I was severely ill for years with ????????????????????????? and did not notice any effects. But then, maybe it was not a detox issue.

Life is full of mysteries.

GOOD LUCK! Zimichael

Attachments

• Misc. Potassium Channels stuff of interest.doc
    38 KB · Views: 36
  • Notes ref. AUS-PAR & Misc..doc
    123.5 KB · Views: 29
A final mulling…Based on how Retigabine is detoxified it may not be a bad idea to do IM (intra-muscular) injections of Glutathione – yeah no fun jabbing yourself in the leg every few days! Or maybe the oral liposomal version. Glutathione is fundamental to detox pathways and if you have any shortages there bad things can happen.
Interesting you mention glutathione. Just recently I've been having mostly good days, after a few bad ones, and the difference seems to be ALA. I started taking ALA with NAC earlier in the month, then ran out of ALA for awhile and noticed the difference.

Great post, and I'm right with you. Giving Autifony a week, then I'm back to the doc to try for RET again.

The Australian Public Assessment Report of October 2013 (which kicked into the thread a few times early on, but a bear to read) is the definitive article/source/document on Retigabine IMHO. This AUS report is where I got most of my detail, though splashed around elsewhere as you will see if you read the docs.

Hey Zimichael, at last mate someone references this document, it is very informative for sure.

Speaking of which, it is somewhat intriguing that the Aussies have still not put the stuff on the market according to our 'down under' friends. They write Tablet of Moses on the stuff yet hold the release???

I think the issue with the release over here in Aus could be the way the PBS ( pharm benefit scheme ) has been changed. This scheme is where a drug is placed on the pbs scheme, which means the cost of getting it is subsidised by the govt here, meaning it is cheaper to purchase than if it wasnt on the scheme. This med was approved for release in Oct last year, so i am guessing they have now applied to put this on the pbs before general release

The pbs application system was changed recently, so it is now unfortunately taking longer for the drugs to get approved to be on this scheme. When you think about it, if a new drug appears and they put it straight out to market and the cost is say 3 times that of existing drugs, then people will not use it, but once registered it lowers the price significantly, so then people would use it and the useage would increase as Dr's would prescibe it more. The below explains what the pbs does

What is the PBS?
The PBS Schedule lists all of the medicines available to be dispensed to patients at a Government-subsidised price. The Schedule is part of the wider Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme managed by the Department of Health and administered by Department of Human Services.
This schedule is
  • All of the drugs listed on the PBS
  • Information on the conditions of use for the prescribing of PBS medicines
  • Detailed consumer information for medicines that have been prescribed by your doctor or dentist;
  • What you can expect to pay for medicines.
The PBS has been in existence since 1948 and is governed by the National Health Act 1953 (Commonwealth).

Juts in relation to getting access to this over here in Aus, i have some new info which i am working on, so still trying to access to it before its general release.

I can't remember but I am hoping someone that is having success with retagabine, has tinnitus from acoustic trama or loud noise.

Can someone enlighten me?

I also understand that this drug takes a "shotgun" approach vs Autifony63:)
Now.......going out for a walk in the sunshine.

Hope everyone is doing ok:)

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now