• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

All the italian pharmacy with 24/48 hours pre-horder because is not a common antiepileptic frequently used.
Without prescription you can buy the "starter pack" 21x50mg + 42x100mg 25,50 euros.
For others dosage is necessary ((but not mandatory ...) any prescription also a dermatologist and pay full price.
Best regards

For others dosage is necessary ((but not mandatory ...) any prescription also a dermatologist and pay full price.
Please can you explain more clearly what you said here.
I don't need starter pack , I need the real deal horse dose pack.
What do you mean by "not mandatory" ? And what do you mean by dermatologist (skin doctor) ?

I want the 84x100mg

84x300mg etc

remember I have to buy 3 months supply in one day.

It was an example: this is drug used for neurology therapy ok? Now, if i want a planning by my neurologist i will not pay the entire price of boxes. Example: i need 3 boxes of 100mg, total 34,50 euro. If my neurologist approve it i will go to pharmacy with a specifical papers and i will pay only 2,50 euro for boxes because is "prescribed". Second example: if my neurologist not approve this theraphy but i want the drug i have 2 chance (paying the entire price): 1) i go to the pharmacy and order without any paper only the slow dosage (50 or 100) or starter pack (50+100). 2) if i have a friend doctor (dermatologist, neurologist, infective disease or others) who know my situation about tinnitus he can give me a paper for major dosage but not "planned" and then i can bui 1kg of retigabile but paiyng entire price.
it's an "affaire" of sanitary national system.
I hope that I managed to explain

p.s. sorry for bombarding you with questions, but its important for me to make a decision to fly to Italy.
i.e. if I can get discount price 1kg plust airfare would be the cheaper than flying to USA and buying with Canadian online price (84x300mg @$360) x3 boxes

We really need a Retigabine FAQ soon...

With guidelines for each country, etc.

@Danny Boy
I am in France (from England) and you are in London. We could get it Retigabene therefore from Italy but can we bring it in on the plane or do we need to drive there and bring it back in the car? Are you interested in doing that?
Italy is a lot closer for us to get the retigabene. Do you know how much it may cost in Italy or can you find out please any way?
Off topic but still on topic......
I would like to do the am-101 trials but that would be so much more possible if I was in London or the UK - much more efficient than in France (where I live) where I have been left to dangle and deal with it on my own. I cannot do it in the UK as I dont have anywhere to stay in the UK. Otherwise I just need to register with a GP (not a problem) to be able to do it in the UK. The trials is on off visits for the first 6 weeks, IE either one day visits or several days and then a break for a couple of weeks and then one day appointments for the rest of the time....then follow up visits to get the real deal meds following the first 90 days which are only for a few days each time I think (not sure if you have to keep the diary and visits going while doing the follow up real deal trials).
I cannot afford to pay for hotels etc...but maybe....there may be a solution out there for me?? This problem has come out of the blue and I am in a maze getting nowhere fast so any help is incredibly welcome.
any T sufferers out there in the UK or in France near to the study sites who can offer me somewhere to stay so I could get the injections. I know that I should not ever ask this but I am really quite desperate now...France is hopeless to get info from so the only way is just to book it (preferably in the organised and more efficient UK) but could also be at a french study site. So at this stage I am desperate and would do anything? but cannot afford a hotel for these visits on top of the back forth travel expenses and wont rob a bank or a granny to get the money....(just referring to Dr Nagler suggesting that we beg borrow or steal the money to visit a recommended TRT practioner). If I was to steal the money I would end up in prison and I doubt that they have such TRT practioners there. I have no one that I can ask to beg or borrow the money.....but sure would like to do something to help get rid of this debilatating problem which is currently destroying me and my life and my life energy. I know this is off topic - sorry.....forgive please.....

@amandine When I spoke to the Guy's Hospital team in London they wanted people with 3 months or less as a priority (possibly due to spaces?) so if you came here and registered I would say your T onset was later than it is. Addenbrookes in Cambridge didn't mention a requirement like that.

I'm in the process of moving house (yes, not the best time to get T), and will be hopefully moved by the second week of November (about 2 weeks) if I don't fall to bits. I'm about 45 minutes away from Paddington currently, about 1.5 hours public transport to Guy's. When I move again I'll be about 30 mins from Guy's. You are welcome to stay whenever you need and register at a GP using my address. I expect you might need your NHS number and check that there aren't any issues with registering after having been abroad.

@Viking, final questions. Would you know if a foreigner (ie Americano) with an Italian prescription can get 2.50 Euro price ?
Do you know a doctor who can prescribe it with a "plan".
no problem. Before you make a trip so expensive, why not try Stugeron or Arlevert? you already tried? is an old molecule that works in some cases. I hope it will work for you. Retigabine was heavy for me and I'm only 34 years old.
The "plan" is a theraphy agreed by a neurologist of a public structure like hospital or private clinic. who assumes responsibility and thus ensures that the drug may work for you. He will issue you a card that you give to your family doctor and then you can buy the Trobalt agreed with the doctor (hospital or clinic) at the price offered by the national health system. This usually is the way economic, but considering that few doctors know and use the Trobalt, no one wants responsibility and then I went directly to the pharmacy the first few times, then thanks to a family doctor I could take higher doses paying full price.

@Viking
is there a limit of one starter pack per person, or can you buy multiple starter packs?

p.s. sorry for bombarding you with questions, but its important for me to make a decision to fly to Italy.
i.e. if I can get discount price 1kg plust airfare would be the cheaper than flying to USA and buying with Canadian online price (84x300mg @$360) x3 boxes

If you're getting a kilogram, any chance of buying a 100g to test please? I'll chip extra for your trouble. It's the Beijing bag of mystery powder option for me currently.

If you're getting a kilogram, any chance of buying a 100g to test please? I'll chip extra for your trouble. It's the Beijing bag of mystery powder option for me currently.
Hearing from what Viking told me, it doesn't seem economical for me(?) to travel to Italy (from N.America). If I was European, I would be there tomorrow.

Thank you @Viking for your very informative responses.
No I never heard of Stugeron or Arlevert - I'll look into it. Grazie.
No problem my friend. a few weeks ago, the user @undecided contacted me about my experience with the Trobalt chatting and he told me that his experiment with the Stugeron (Cynazin, Arlevert, Stugerone) was positive. I hope it's still that way. I hope for everyone to have a little relief in any way.
Best regards

@Danny Boy
I made an expensive sheet for you (prices in USD) for a 2 month Retigabine course @900mg per day via 100mg pills, plus taper on/off leftover via 50mg pills:

$400 round trip Bristol-Rome
$360 12 "starter packs"
$100 2 nights motel stay
Grand Total = $860

In my case I would have to add $400 for transatlantic flight for a total of $1,260, which would be around the same as buying it from Canada online.

Telis, I'm pretty happy to hear this because that sounds like you're making progress with your T. I remember a couple of weeks ago, you'd do anything to get relief.

And I'm like you, I need more info before I try it. I'm not the type who likes taking drugs unless absolutely necessary.

I did bring up retigabine to my doctor and he didn't even know what it was... I have a lot of faith in him.

Hey Matt,

Na I'm still in the same mess, I would still do anything for relief...just not sure retigabine will get me there. I'm in a situation where I'm barely hanging on so I'm very worried about potentially making my T worse with another drug, even if the chances are low. I don't think I could handle even a slight worsening. I just don't think I'm strong enough at this point to take risks and start experimenting with drugs.

If everyone were getting better I would be more willing to jump all over it, but to me, doesn't seem that way. Then again it's pretty early in, pretty mixed bag of results so far. I really hope this gives people the relief they are after.

Telis

Hey Matt,

Na I'm still in the same mess, I would still do anything for relief...just not sure retigabine will get me there. I'm in a situation where I'm barely hanging on so I'm very worried about potentially making my T worse with another drug, even if the chances are low. I don't think I could handle even a slight worsening. I just don't think I'm strong enough at this point to take risks and start experimenting with drugs.

If everyone were getting better I would be more willing to jump all over it, but to me, doesn't seem that way. Then again it's pretty early in, pretty mixed bag of results so far. I really hope this gives people the relief they are after.

Telis

Telis, I know exactly how you feel right now. I felt the same 2 years ago. Afraid to even pop a Tylenol for fear of the slightest worsening Even now I have fear to take Retigabine - will my T get worse beyond human endurance? Should I wait 'till Autifony? and so on...these are questions running thru my mind.

Telis, I know exactly how you feel right now. I felt the same 2 years ago. Afraid to even pop a Tylenol for fear of the slightest worsening Even now I have fear to take Retigabine - will my T get worse beyond human endurance? Should I wait 'till Autifony? and so on...these are questions running thru my mind.
Yeah it's a real mind f@@k

Yikes, this thread is going in directions none of us envisioned!

To @dr-nagler and anybody else interested:

The reason I consider Retigabine to be a viable potential treatment is a combination of research into voltage-gated potassium channels and their potential effects, comparison to Autifony's drug and its apparent history, and the careful reading of user experiences.

First, voltage-gated potassium channels exist to govern the timing of neuronal activity. Gates open, action potentials are inhibited. As a target for fighting neuronal hyperactivity, they make sense. Read the papers locoyeti linked, Google Dr. Large (Autifony CEO) and his analysis of Retigabine, etc. That side of the science is pretty straightforward. The idea that tinnitus is essentially neuronal hyperactivity in the DCN and/or other portions of the brain's auditory system seems almost self-evident. We're hearing sounds that don't exist outside our heads, therefore something in our heads is causing the sound. The hardest thing to prove, IMO, is whether or not a drug therapy is targeting the right part of the brain.

For that we go to the user experiences. Here the plain fact is, we've only had two patients - Mpt and Christian78 - who has actually gone up to a 900mg/day dose. Everybody else has either stopped due to side effects, not had time to reach full dose, had to stop because their supply ran out, or have not reported in awhile. Several people reported positive results at low doses, but not everyone, and to my mind, the positive results could easily be explained away in the low-dose people as placebo effects. locoyeti's recent posting indicated that efficacy was somewhere north of a heapin' handful of pills, so neutral-to-negative results at less than 900mg are broadly meaningless (personal experience may of course vary).

So, Mpt was cured, and Christian78 experienced a major improvement after going up to a moderate effective dose. Nobody has experienced any side effects that persisted for longer than a few days after stopping the drug (Lep's eyes cleared up, Zimichael's hyperacusis went back down to its usual level; correct me if I'm wrong, @Viking, but you're fairly certain Retigabine did not cause with your kidney problems, it was just a bad idea to continue Retigabine with those problems, right?).

I feel like we are still very, very early in the testing phase of this drug, and I sympathize greatly with Autifony and any other company trying to bring a drug to market. If you can't actually get your drug in people's hands, and can't actually get them to take it due to whatever reasons, how can you get a good test?

I think what frustrates us as patients the most is that those of us who have done this research and are convinced that we would like to give Retigabine have no recourse but to summarize our research to a doctor and hope that he or she will be willing to invest the time and effort we have already expended to find out the facts. This doesn't seem to be how doctors work, however. We go in, make our elevator pitch, wait fifteen minutes, and get a "no". All the doctor can say is that there hasn't been a trial for tinnitus. They can't tell us why they, personally, feel it's necessary that there be such a trial before they are prepared to allow us to take a risk we're begging to take.

I feel that there are two basic kinds of doctors: those who quote from a book of rules, and research scientists. I don't say this to denigrate doctors. The neurologist's office I visited to ask for Retigabine was overrun with suffering people at a 10-to-1 ratio to docs and PAs. The PA I spoke with asked both doctors about Retigabine and did some brief Googling. The end result was, nobody felt comfortable giving me Retigabine. I understand why. With 38 patients in the waiting room, they can't take all day to sit down with me, go through all my paperwork, read Mpt's firsthand experience, maybe exchange emails with Autifony's CMO, as I have. They have no choice but to go to the book of rules, quote me what it offers, and send me on my way.

I am considering going to another neurologist who I think may be more of a risk taker. It just frustrates me that there's not some means available to me to prove to - somebody - that I don't really need a doctor's prescription for this drug. I've done the research. I've had a physical. I know the risks. I have a plan. What do I need a doctor for?

What I'm getting at is, to most people on these forums, the word "doctor" is synonymous with "well-meaning roadblock". I'm personally unimposing, and I often get the feeling I'm being coddled by my doctors. I hate that. I genuinely believe they're mostly well-meaning people, but if they don't know how to help me, I wish they'd follow my lead. Taking Retigabine for six months is almost certainly not going to kill me. It's probably not going to blind me or wreck my liver. If it makes me feel lousy, that's my own fault, not the prescribing doctor.

The American and UK systems of medicine seem mostly to be set up to protect people from making bad decisions. But shouldn't their mandate be to protect from making uninformed decisions? If I'm informed, shouldn't I have a right to decide?

Yikes, this thread is going in directions none of us envisioned!

To @dr-nagler and anybody else interested:

The reason I consider Retigabine to be a viable potential treatment is a combination of research into voltage-gated potassium channels and their potential effects, comparison to Autifony's drug and its apparent history, and the careful reading of user experiences.

First, voltage-gated potassium channels exist to govern the timing of neuronal activity. Gates open, action potentials are inhibited. As a target for fighting neuronal hyperactivity, they make sense. Read the papers locoyeti linked, Google Dr. Large (Autifony CEO) and his analysis of Retigabine, etc. That side of the science is pretty straightforward. The idea that tinnitus is essentially neuronal hyperactivity in the DCN and/or other portions of the brain's auditory system seems almost self-evident. We're hearing sounds that don't exist outside our heads, therefore something in our heads is causing the sound. The hardest thing to prove, IMO, is whether or not a drug therapy is targeting the right part of the brain.

For that we go to the user experiences. Here the plain fact is, we've only had two patients - Mpt and Christian78 - who has actually gone up to a 900mg/day dose. Everybody else has either stopped due to side effects, not had time to reach full dose, had to stop because their supply ran out, or have not reported in awhile. Several people reported positive results at low doses, but not everyone, and to my mind, the positive results could easily be explained away in the low-dose people as placebo effects. locoyeti's recent posting indicated that efficacy was somewhere north of a heapin' handful of pills, so neutral-to-negative results at less than 900mg are broadly meaningless (personal experience may of course vary).

So, Mpt was cured, and Christian78 experienced a major improvement after going up to a moderate effective dose. Nobody has experienced any side effects that persisted for longer than a few days after stopping the drug (Lep's eyes cleared up, Zimichael's hyperacusis went back down to its usual level; correct me if I'm wrong, @Viking, but you're fairly certain Retigabine did not cause with your kidney problems, it was just a bad idea to continue Retigabine with those problems, right?).

I feel like we are still very, very early in the testing phase of this drug, and I sympathize greatly with Autifony and any other company trying to bring a drug to market. If you can't actually get your drug in people's hands, and can't actually get them to take it due to whatever reasons, how can you get a good test?

I think what frustrates us as patients the most is that those of us who have done this research and are convinced that we would like to give Retigabine have no recourse but to summarize our research to a doctor and hope that he or she will be willing to invest the time and effort we have already expended to find out the facts. This doesn't seem to be how doctors work, however. We go in, make our elevator pitch, wait fifteen minutes, and get a "no". All the doctor can say is that there hasn't been a trial for tinnitus. They can't tell us why they, personally, feel it's necessary that there be such a trial before they are prepared to allow us to take a risk we're begging to take.

I feel that there are two basic kinds of doctors: those who quote from a book of rules, and research scientists. I don't say this to denigrate doctors. The neurologist's office I visited to ask for Retigabine was overrun with suffering people at a 10-to-1 ratio to docs and PAs. The PA I spoke with asked both doctors about Retigabine and did some brief Googling. The end result was, nobody felt comfortable giving me Retigabine. I understand why. With 38 patients in the waiting room, they can't take all day to sit down with me, go through all my paperwork, read Mpt's firsthand experience, maybe exchange emails with Autifony's CMO, as I have. They have no choice but to go to the book of rules, quote me what it offers, and send me on my way.

I am considering going to another neurologist who I think may be more of a risk taker. It just frustrates me that there's not some means available to me to prove to - somebody - that I don't really need a doctor's prescription for this drug. I've done the research. I've had a physical. I know the risks. I have a plan. What do I need a doctor for?

What I'm getting at is, to most people on these forums, the word "doctor" is synonymous with "well-meaning roadblock". I'm personally unimposing, and I often get the feeling I'm being coddled by my doctors. I hate that. I genuinely believe they're mostly well-meaning people, but if they don't know how to help me, I wish they'd follow my lead. Taking Retigabine for six months is almost certainly not going to kill me. It's probably not going to blind me or wreck my liver. If it makes me feel lousy, that's my own fault, not the prescribing doctor.

The American and UK systems of medicine seem mostly to be set up to protect people from making bad decisions. But shouldn't their mandate be to protect from making uninformed decisions? If I'm informed, shouldn't I have a right to decide?
Have you tried a private doctor? My doctor is private, he is willing to sit and listen, he is very open to ideas regarding alternative treatments. Maybe the public system is more strict in their guidelines and have to follow a standard process?

Ok....Merrychemical is a rip off!!!!!
Check out these prices!

Dear sir ,
how are you ?
gald to receive your inquiry about the Retigabine, we can offer it
both base or hcl ,
price 20gram USD1670 total including delivery fee to you , time 2-3 weeks
50gram USD3300 total including delivery fee to you , time 2-3 weeks
100gram USD5100 total including delivery fee to you , time 2-3 weeks
purity 99%

So according to these prices...Trobalt is worth more than cocaine!

@DannyBoy
Alternatives?? - cos yes what a rip off!!

I'll just have to see of am-101 works....Still I am terrified of it...Perforation of the ear drum can cause tinnitus...And what if I get hearing loss? On the sheet it says 10% had hearing loss, 10% had increased tinnitus...That's scary! And if I get the placebo, perforation again? Man...Risks, risks...

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now