• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

Right people....If we're all gonna take trobalt, we need to protect our eyes....That is why, I am writing down a list of stuff you will need to protect your eyes and improve eyesight.

Ok,
Eyebright,
Camu Camu,
Jamaican Dogwood,
Marigold-Which has high amounts of lutein,
Bilberry,
Ginkgo biloba,
Liquorice,
Carrot powder
Triphala

@amandine
yes, we must take a stand and do something! All we get is Nocebo effect from doctors, who tell us "go home and learn to live with it', infecting our subcouncious with that information that blocks self-healing, we get poorer with every day that passes spending all our money on treatments (at least I did), some of us are disabled (I am), some of us can't take care anymore of our kids (I can't), some of us are worried we are going to die of starvation because we can't work (I am) etc.
I think this subject is in the wrong thread, it doesn't respect the title "Retigabine".
First thing we should do is to make another thread, and let Danny Boy speak about Trobalt, he is one of the most serious cases among us, if not the most serious.

Good luck, Danny Boy!
Keep posting! I keep my fingers crossed for you!

@lapidus

please can you translate what you have posted if you understand it. I dont understand it amd maybe others wont either.

Translate? It's in english. Or do you mean translate from "science language" to "normal language"? :)
That I'm afraid I can't do. I just posted it here so the more scientific people can have a glanse at it.

@amandine
yes, we must take a stand and do something! All we get is Nocebo effect from doctors, who tell us "go home and learn to live with it', infecting our subcouncious with that information that blocks self-healing, we get poorer with every day that passes spending all our money on treatments (at least I did), some of us are disabled (I am), some of us can't take anymore of our kids (I can't), some of us are worried we are going to die of starvation because we can't work (I am). Etc.
I think this subject is in the wrong thread, it doesn't respect the title "Retigabine".
First thing we should do is to make another thread, and let Danny Boy speak about Trobalt, he is one of the most serious cases among us, if not the most serious.

Good luck, Danny Boy!
Keep posting! I keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks Dana! Trobalt has improved my tinnitus volume, so I feel much better!

Are you serious, Danny Boy? Really? I am so happy for you! Believe it or not, I have tears in my eyes!
You are doing a very courageous thing, you are a pioneer for us, maybe we will follow in your footsteps.
What about your eyesight?

Are you serious, Danny Boy? Really? I am so happy for you! Believe it or not, I have tears in my eyes!
You are doing a very courageous thing, you are a pioneer for us, maybe we will follow in your footsteps.
What about your eyesight?

Thanks Dana. I'm just trying to find ways to counteract trobalt's side effects. If we can do that, then we'll have more hope than we already have.

Thanks Dana. I'm just trying to find ways to counteract trobalt's side effects. If we can do that, then we'll have more hope than we already have.

What side effects are you experiencing at the moment? Hope you get better Danny, seems like you really need it, we're hoping for you. :)

We're praying for you (and for us) that your vision doesn't get damaged, or the damage is reversible.

From which country, if we are not indiscreet?

What @lapidus quoted earlier about KCNQ4 means that losing hearing has been connected to one of the potassium channels that Retigabine targets. I'd read something similar before, that age-related hearing loss is theorized to be the result of a genetic mutation that becomes more and more likely to occur as people age. Doctors are working on a genetic therapy that would re-instate the brain's defense mechanism (strong in the young, iffy in middle age, weak in older folks) against this mutation.

For us, it means that many of us who don't know why we got tinnitus, and even some of us who do, may have developed this mutation. It causes our KCNQ4-encoded potassium channels to get stuck, or at least, become not as quick to open up as they once were. Potassium channels are little windows in the brain cells that open to "relax" the cell. Imagine them as little mouths that let out a big, calming *sigh*. When the brain cells can't sigh, they get anxious and yell at each other. That yelling is tinnitus.

Retigabine changes the soup that the brain cells float around in to make it tastier for those little mouths. They open up more often, so the nerve can *sigh* and stop yelling. Eventually, the brain decides it likes this tasty soup, so it changes its recipe. So even when you stop adding the Retigabine "spice", the mouths keep nibbling, the cells keep sighing, the brain stays quieter.

KCNQ is a family of genes. KCNQ4 is a specific gene that makes a specific type of potassium channel that likes to live in our hearing system. The gene is KCNQ4, the channel is Kv7.4. Kv means "a potassium channel". Retigabine makes soup that Kv7.2, 7.3, 7.4, and 7.5 all love, but Kv7.1 doesn't care for. This is important because potassium channels are found in cells all over your body, Kv7.1 particularly in the heart. You probably don't want to slow your heartbeat with this drug! Kv7.2-5 exists mostly in the brain. 7.2 and 7.3 are inhibitory channels that exist all over the brain, 7.4 is special to hearing, 7.5 is all over but not as common as 7.2 and 7.3. By opening these channels, you inhibit many, many cells in the brain, which is both why the tinnitus gets better and why some things get worse.

Anyway, that's more detail than anybody asked for, but the point is: KCNQ4 = hearing brain, mutant KCNQ4 = hearing loss and tinnitus (maybe), Retigabine/AUT000063 = hearing brain calms down, hopefully no more tinnitus, maybe even better hearing.

I am new to this forum and to T. I've read every single post in this thread and have been very interested in Potiga/Trobalt. My T started in late September 2014 for no reason, just woke up from a nap and the ringing was incredibly loud. Did the ENT thing - Prednisone, hearing test, etc. Hearing test showed some loss in 3k-4k range. My T calmed down in the last several weeks and I was finally starting to habituate (I think), but then today, a few hours ago it ramped up 10 fold. The T in my left ear is so loud right now. I would say it was a 2 before but right now it is a 9 or even 10.

I'm wondering if anyone who has taken Potiga/Trobalt also has hearing loss. I got my ENT to give me a prescription but I haven't filled it yet. I called to get a quote from my local CVS and they told me $600 for a month's supply.

I tried Gabapentin, since my Mom takes it regularly and has a large supply. It doesn't really do anything.

I'm at a loss right now. I was just sitting at the computer and bam!, a huge increase in T.

Just a little update.
I've had a pretty silent weekend, after a (sort of) loud Friday.
I'm convinced that whatever effect Trobalt is having on my tinnitus, it is not placebo. No way.
20-30 minutes after taking my dose (300mg, 3 times a day), I start to feel a little numbness on my lips. It is around that time when the t starts getting softer. I can feel it getting softer and more silent. That is definitely not placebo.
It happens every time.

Yeah, it's a brain nuclear bomb and some side effects are no fun. But it seems to be working.
Plus, I sleep better and more.

Tried importing powder from China, scouring online pharmacies and talking to friends of friends in Spain. I'm unable to get retigabine.

Would anyone be charitable enough to send a holiday package to the UK?

Please get in touch. A little peace for December.

Seeing as we are getting a bit more "science" again, this quote and source may be worth remembering as per @rtwombly's good summary of @lapidus's post. *(Interesting that you use 'food' analogies rt. and I use 'military' ones...Probably has something to do with the amount of "assaults" have had to fight off!? :eek: )...

Furthermore, mutagenesis and modeling studies have pinpointed the RTG/EZG binding site to a hydrophobic pocket near the channel gate, indicating how RTG/EZG can stabilize the open form of KCNQ2–5 channels.

From: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2011.03365.x/full ...in 2012, with our infamous Charles Large (ref. Autifony) being one of the co-authors.

The implication here is that Retigabine zeros in on the channel gate itself (as rt. described), though I would embellish that with saying it perhaps "lubricates" the stuck gates with WD40 so the troopers outside can kick the darn things back open more easily and shoot the bloody T!

@dan ...the supreme lack of information on the Kv.3's v. all the others in the Kv family is indeed "interesting". However, I am not one for conspiracy theories, etc. though the links between the KV research a few years back and Autifony zeroing in on KV.3 with so little other parade of info and data is definitely odd to me. I mean hell, just do a Google search of KCNC (the Kv.3s) and it even tries to kick you into the KCNQs (Kv.7s)! And the results are mostly shallow water garbage compared to the tsunami of excellent stuff on the Kv.7's. Odd, very odd.

@Danny Boy ...Ummmmm, just a reminder that because something is a "herb" or "supplement" does not mean that it can't mess with meds or your homeostasis. I mentioned some time back about being careful with Retig. and keeping as many things 'stable' as possible if you tried it. I would not go overboard on anything else particularly, herbal or not. Simple is better when on a trial.
Also, the evidence is pretty compelling to my mind that the "big bad news vision effects" are years out. I suspect that, like many drugs, initial blurred vision is not uncommon and could be temporary while adjusting to it. However, we are all unique in makeup and anything is possible, so the decision about seriousness of this effect is yours to determine! As you are doing the Trobalt without a prescribing doc as a back-stop, this is even more the case.
Good luck.

Best, Zimichael

Hi Man; how is your dosage?
I had the same transitory effect when was over 300mg (100 + 200 + 100 = stupor,blurried vision for more than 1 hour, dry mouth,feeling of being drunk in general) . Is not permanent. In my case was transitory
Best wishes
300mg a day. At the moment I have a big reduction in tinnitus volume.

Can somebody please answer few questions for me:

1. How long is one suppose to be on retigabine?

2. Apart from mpt has anyone stopped the drug and had lasting results. There's so many people trying it so this is a bit all over the place.

3. Are side effects just temporary or could there be some permanent damage to particular body parts

Thanks!

Tried importing powder from China, scouring online pharmacies and talking to friends of friends in Spain. I'm unable to get retigabine.

Would anyone be charitable enough to send a holiday package to the UK?

Please get in touch. A little peace for December.

I thought you bought some?

Can somebody please answer few questions for me:

1. How long is one suppose to be on retigabine?

2. Apart from mpt has anyone stopped the drug and had lasting results. There's so many people trying it so this is a bit all over the place.

3. Are side effects just temporary or could there be some permanent damage to particular body parts

Thanks!
1. Mpt's experience was about 2 months on the full dose. He ramped up fast and then came down much slower, so figure 4-5 months total, depending on how well you tolerate it.

2. Nobody's stopped the drug permanently apart from Mpt, but Johno had an interesting report from a temp stop after his supply ran out: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/retigabine-trobalt-potiga-%E2%80%94-user-experiences.6047/page-2#post-74736.

3. Per the manufacturer and all the documentation, everything is temporary except if for retinal pigmentation changes that some epileptic patients who were involved in the clinical trial years ago developed. Everybody who got this effect had been using Retigabine consistently for 2-4 years (though the changes may have started earlier), and it was not possible to prove that Retigabine caused the changes or that the changes necessarily were connected to eyesight problems. That motivated the FDA to issue a warning to only give the drug to people who really need it...thus some of our problems convincing a doctor. All the user experiences on here have said that a few days off got rid of their symptoms, though I believe Christian78 is still a little concerned about his eyesight - he reduced his dosage and it got 60% better - and he evidently feels the risk is worth the reward.

Everybody having trouble getting the drug and those having trouble paying for it: we feel you. All I can say is that a) US FDA has an informal policy of turning a blind eye if you import as much as a 3-month supply for personal use (with a prescription), b) other countries may have similar laws, formal or informal, c) Trobalt (European retigabine) is much cheaper and easier to obtain in Greece, Italy, and possibly Spain, and d) there's a lot of nice people on this board. :)

Just information, always happy to share.

@Zimichael excellent quote. Highlights what I think is the secret history of AUT00063: Dr. Large & co. observed tinnitus patients getting relief during Retigabine trials, but knew it to be inconsistent and prone to side effects, so they set out to find a potassium channel that was exclusive the to auditory system. Kv3 is such a channel. Simple as that. Remember that most cells have a variety of channels and the ones under discussion all have an inhibitory effect, so it doesn't make that much difference if you treat the KCNQs or KCNCs. Though, from reading what Z, lapidus, and locoyeti have posted over these past months, I actually think treating the KCNQs makes more sense and might lead to more stable results.

@rtwombly

Thank you for your answer.
I saw my gp togay (again:(!!!) and he had no clue about retigabine.
He tried to find it in MIMS, this is some sort of a book with all meds listed, but it didn't come up with anything, not even under other generic names.
Not sure if this is available here in Australia at all.

here is my thoughts on dosage:

@Zimichael and I indeed are in agreement. I am not sure where we differ, perhaps I advocate greater speed, but I am really just using @Mpt as a benchmark.

Mpt did 1oomg TID for 3 days, 200mg TID for 3 days, and then maintenance at 300mg TID.

My taper up was:
100mg TID 3 days
150mg TID 2 days
200mg TID 2 days
300mg TID maintenance

I went up at that rate because at the very least I wanted to follow the one person for whom this worked. I made my jump from 200mg TID after only two days because I really was frustrated that I was not feeling much of anything. Also I was not sure exactly how to split a 300mg pill into 250mg. I suppose this wont be a problem for those of you getting smaller pills.

My thoughts on why someone should taper up fast was illustrated well by Zimichael - you want the drug to kick down the doors, not slowly lean on the door. The reason I think this is important is because of something called 'intrinsic' plasticity. Here is one link:
http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Homeostatic_Regulation_of_Neuronal_Excitability
Basically your neurons are now firing at a 'new normal', which is the tinnitus state. Any change you try to make may be undone by homeostatic mechanisms to get back to the new normal, so slamming down the doors might be a good way to prevent that or at least reduce its effects. @cdog might be able to explain it better.

I think the dosage schedule for epilepsy can be completely ignored. Epilepsy for the most part is a genetic disease, and so this drug is not really being considered to cure it. In fact it is an add-on drug, which means most epilepsy patients are taking it with other epilepsy medication. This drug if used for tinnitus has the chance to cure us, so we don't have to take it permanently.

Secondly, epilepsy is something that can hit any time, so if you are epileptic, it is important to have it in your system most of the day, hence the 3 times a day spaced by 8 hours schedule. This is the part where I think we can do a bit of creativity, since we don't have epilepsy. I have missed my dosage in the morning by a few hours, and from what I understand the drug completely leaves your system after about 10 hours. This might be why it is hitting me the hardest in the morning, although there is probably other factors that affect that (I have wake-and-baked many times in my life - that means smoking marijuana first thing in the morning - and for those in the know that creates an intense high... perhaps something like that is at play here.

TAPER UP:
I have no problems with someone playing it safe and going on a slow taper up. I didn't feel anything until 600mg/day so I feel like I was just wasting the pills at a lower dosage level. The drug is dose dependent, and so if you don't have enough in your system, its not gonna do anything ('playing cards outside the door', like Zmike said). I think you should just go up rapidly to a point where you feel something, and then slowly push the envelope, and I think there are no rules for that. I think the informal goal should be to get to 900mg/day, and if 600mg/day is doing wonders for you then stay there. I suspect that many people will not find true silence until they get to 900mg/day and beyond.

MAINTENANCE:
Here is an example of how I take the drug. So I take my last dosage of the night at around midnight, and wake up at 8am to take the next one (my other dosage is at 4pm - 8 hour intervals). There have been days where I wake up late, which means that the drug is out of my system (I believe that the drug only stays in your system for 8-10 hours). This might be the reason that it hits me the hardest in the morning. On the days when I have this schedule perturbed, I improvise. So if I take my dose at noon, then I will take the second at 6pm, and the third at 2am (6 hour intervals). I don't know if this is a bad idea or not, I hope that we can get a pharmacist to weigh in this.

I suspect that some people will have to deviate from this if they have jobs. If it hits you hard in the morning, you might have to change your schedule to sleep right after work and then wake up much earlier to take your dose. The strong side effects seem to occur within 3-4 hours, and after than you may be better.
Another way to deviate is to take different dosages. say 200mg in the morning, and then 350mg a few hours before you leave work, and another 350mg at night. you get the picture, there will be a lot of experimentation with this drug because I suspect it will affect people differently.

another thing that strikes me is that maybe we can take it at 6 hour intervals. we would have to research this, and/or get a pharmacists opinion, but maybe if you were brave enough to do 1200mg, you could do 300mg X 4 times a day. or if you are doing 900mg, in order to function at work maybe space out lower doses in the morning and do the higher doses at night. The only problem with that is, as i said, this drug is dose dependant, so the light morning dosages might not even do anything. from my experience, it is not the fact that i am taking 900mg a day- it is the fact that i am feeling something whenever i put 300mg in my mouth, as opposed to any dosage lower than that.

Another question to ask is, do we need to be continuously on it? on some level we can say no, in that we are no epileptics. i see no reason why someone couldn't take the stuff on the weekends, and go on much lighter dosages on the weekdays during work. the crux of the issue though is that, i think it is important to let retigabine give you silence for an contiguously extended period of time (a few months, in the case of Mpt), so that the changes can be consolidated in your brain. in my opinion, it wont help if you are only getting relief some days of the week.

anyways, these are my thoughts on the subject, i invite people to look at this more carefully because I think dosage is key, and crafting a dosage schedule specific to tinnitus, and also specific to a given person, is important.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now