• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

South Korean Clinic Treatment (Dr. Minbo Shim)

The theory is treating the cause of your tinnitus will correct it. Some people who have neck problems have it resolved after being seen for said problems. It's not necessarily for everyone with T. And does it really matter that other people can lose their hearing and not feel anything, when we do? We get tinnitus and a whole list of other problems as a RESULT of hearing loss. It could be worth a shot. I mean what're the chances anyway? Either we cross this off the list of options or find something that has been proven to help people.

@katri - Of course it's worth a shot, I'm not disputing that. No one here has tried or really knows the outcome. May just helps grow hair on your chest. Why hold back on a chance to try? Sure, true, but same time I'm taking in consideration to @JohnAdams' safety, because he is very eager to fly to a foreign country to be a guinea pig. I think it's reasonable, that we should be helping him to rethink it out accordingly, instead of being impulsive. We're all desperate for a solution.

The question remains, what if this formula helps resolves your T/H, but not hearing loss? Will people be content to this? I would be, 100 percent, because I can then function again, allowing me to get -healthier- for the remainder of my life. If one wants to stick around for both, that's fine. Hearing-loss remains an ongoing theory to it, but not always so. Hearing-loss is a whole different ballgame to address and has been for a long time. The goal is to lower or resolve T/H's chronic debilitating symptoms in order to survive and do all the things we used to do prior to it.

The main topic here, is regarding Dr. Minbo's formula claim, which is in question if at the very least, helps T/H or not? No one knows what it truly offers.

@sakrt i can see why you're worried but if it's as legit as it's made out to be, then we should trust it. It's been open for years treating people. Korea is like one of the safest countries ever, especially for medical treatments.

People have a rough idea what his formula does because they've been researching it for years and through multiple sources. I believe that his claim makes a reasonable amount of sense. Even if it doesn't, I doubt it would hurt anyone to try. Doesn't matter if it's John or really just anyone. If it works, best believe I'll be pulling longer hours at my workplace. I'd do it myself if I could.

Looks like he is a member here on Tinnitus Talk, he joined a few weeks ago? why not tag him and loop him into the conversation thread, ask him these questions directly for responses?

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/members/drshimminbo.34861/

He doesn't plan on interacting here until he has some papers ready. I almost got him to, but he grew hesitant after believing skeptical people would troll him. He will be here, give it time.

Also having the post flu coughs suck. :(

After reading @EddieA 's account of PRP, I am interested about PRP in general, separate from Shim. I would be curious about application in The West. If anyone is here posting with some spare time, I wonder if we could accumulate some information on this and share?

Obviously Shim's patent contains many possibilities regarding the specifics of treatment application, but I wonder if we could find a PRP clinic that would consider administering his viscous recipe?

Could we add to my recollection of the primary apprehensions and encouragements that we have gathered regarding Shim's treatment:

-I recall worry about growth factors leaving us with no more or not enough projenitor cells to be utilized in a potential future technological cure? Was this debunked or just put down by Shim in Skype convo?

-potential for High Frequency damage, unknown cause.

-Stem Cells being utilized in general, safety, effectiveness of Mesencymal Stem Cells on the cochlea (mostly bolstered by ATEOS' claims rather than data), etcetera.

-legitimcacy of the clinic; which I don't think is too disputed at this point.

The potentially positive information we have gathered:

-@Lymebite's versatile M.D. contact explained that PRP could theoretically heal cochlear hair cells,

-Lymebite's M.D. contact also inquired if Shim's treatment could heal nerve cells, Shim specifically claimed healing of nerve cells in his patent, regardless of his assertion's accuracy.

-PRP is known to quell inflammation; inflammation is not commonly professed to be the cause of H or T, but it has been considered to be a factor.

Lets try to stay constructive and considering ideas, taking advantage of our group interest, anyone else have any ideas of avenues for us to follow?

After reading @EddieA 's account of PRP, I am interested about PRP in general, separate from Shim. I would be curious about application in The West. If anyone is here posting with some spare time, I wonder if we could accumulate some information on this and share?

Obviously Shim's patent contains many possibilities regarding the specifics of treatment application, but I wonder if we could find a PRP clinic that would consider administering his viscous recipe?

Could we add to my recollection of the primary apprehensions and encouragements that we have gathered regarding Shim's treatment:

-I recall worry about growth factors leaving us with no more or not enough projenitor cells to be utilized in a potential future technological cure? Was this debunked or just put down by Shim in Skype convo?

-potential for High Frequency damage, unknown cause.
I don't think they can just concoct a new recipe for stem cells. Even if it's totally viable method in other countries. Their methods have been vetted. And it take an extremely long process. Even if they knew how to do it today, I'm pretty sure they could risk getting in trouble for it.

I don't think they can just concoct a new recipe for stem cells. Even if it's totally viable method in other countries. Their methods have been vetted. And it take an extremely long process. Even if they knew how to do it today, I'm pretty sure they could risk getting in trouble for it.
I referred to Platelet Rich Plasma, not Stem Cell.

I think we are all so jaded and untrusting. We're trapped in tinnitus hell and we can't see the obvious truth. How could a doctor operate in South Korea for multiple years performing an invasive medical procedure that didn't work or hurt people and cost thousands of dollars without any traceable complaint or government sanction? On the contrary, what available evidence we have points to this being true.

I actually just found an old news segment about medical travel fraud in South Korea and one of the doctors kinda looks like him.

How bow dah?

I have been following this closely with lots of hope. I live in Asia but lack funds for the procedure. I will ask some Korean doctors here what they think. I am in Laos now.

Laos, small country under China, bordered by Thailand, Burma, CanbodiaVietnam. The doc here was useless...had no opinion. He is here doing his military service that is mandatory in SK. I am starting to save money for this or whatever else comes first. I will keep asking Koreans here, there are many. I apologize for not being able to contribute anything significant, I promise to keep trying.

I believe in this Doctor, biased because of pain and needing hope. Korea is very high tech, has an excellent education system, and I have believed for sometime that genetic and bio breakthroughs will come from Korea or China, they have fewer regulations and are already doing things that are banned in the States and Europe, such as their work with clones. Not a scientist, just a primary school teacher, until hyperacusis put me out of work. My humble feelings and hope.

Laos, small country under China, bordered by Thailand, Burma, CanbodiaVietnam. The doc here was useless...had no opinion. He is here doing his military service that is mandatory in SK. I am starting to save money for this or whatever else comes first. I will keep asking Koreans here, there are many. I apologize for not being able to contribute anything significant, I promise to keep trying.

I believe in this Doctor, biased because of pain and needing hope. Korea is very high tech, has an excellent education system, and I have believed for sometime that genetic and bio breakthroughs will come from Korea or China, they have fewer regulations and are already doing things that are banned in the States and Europe, such as their work with clones. Not a scientist, just a primary school teacher, until hyperacusis put me out of work. My humble feelings and hope.
we will know soon

I heard somewhere that Dr. Minbo uses mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow as part of his treatment and these have been shown to become sensory hair cells in vitro.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17113786/

Also the PRP he uses contains growth factors implicated in regenerating inner ear damage as well.

John Adams, anyone, fogivr me for a naive question. Would this treatment rule out doing frequency in the future? Wired, I know. I spent the weekend trying to contact ENT societies in Korea, even police investigation units. I will keep plugging away. Sorry if this question has been asked before. Thanks all, sincerely

Apologies, can't spell or write well now, meant to say wierd, not wired. In pain, loosing the plot. I will hang tight and stay optomistic. The good doctor sounds so sincere, wish he would present papers, himself, to the scientific world. Why not.?
How did you find out about mesenchchymal cells JohnAdams? I have been searching like crazy. Thank you brothers and sisters, sincerely

John Adams, anyone, fogivr me for a naive question. Would this treatment rule out doing frequency in the future? Wired, I know. I spent the weekend trying to contact ENT societies in Korea, even police investigation units. I will keep plugging away. Sorry if this question has been asked before. Thanks all, sincerely
Apologies, can't spell or write well now, meant to say wierd, not wired. In pain, loosing the plot. I will hang tight and stay optomistic. The good doctor sounds so sincere, wish he would present papers, himself, to the scientific world. Why not.?
How did you find out about mesenchchymal cells JohnAdams? I have been searching like crazy. Thank you brothers and sisters, sincerely
I searched pubmed.

Last edited:
"By a combination of growth factor stimulation and expression of the transcription factor, Math1, that is required for hair cell formation in the inner ear, we show here that MSCs derived from bone marrow can be induced to differentiate into hair cells. The neurosensory progenitors obtained from bone marrow can be converted to sensory cells by co-culture with cells of the developing sensory epithelium, moreover, even in the absence of Math1 expression."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3136105/

This is exactly what Dr. Minbo Shim is doing.

Moreover, look whose names are on this paper.

2018-12-19_10-04-05.png

Stefan Heller, as in Stanford's Heller Lab.

WHAT DO THEY DO?

"OUR LABORATORY WORKS ON INNER EAR DEVELOPMENT AND REGENERATION, AS WELL AS ON THE BIOLOGY OF SENSORY HAIR CELLS, THE MECHANOSENSITIVE CELLS OF THE INNER EAR."

https://hellerlab.stanford.edu/

2018-12-19_10-08-25.png

Albert Edge is the one that discovered that the notch inhibitors regrow hair cells. This is the basis of fx322.

"Dr. Albert Edge showed in 2013 that a "notch inhibitor" class molecule gives rise to new hair cells in a culture. "

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/07/human-hearing-loss-could-be-reversible/491777/

Looks like Dr. Minbo had his fingers on the pulse of this technology as it was emerging and ran with it.

This lends more credentials to his process in my opinion.

Last edited:
Again, forgive my ignorance please. I understand the concepts, the process, or am in a accelerated course of self education thanks to scholars like JohnAdams and many other contributors. Question, why are you so certain he is mixing bone marrow (msc) I get that it's effective from reading the publication... has Minbo Shim mentioned this? The PRP is derived from the patient's blood, what about the bone marrow? This is my question, is that also taken from the patient as well so that it's accepted easily? JohnAdams, do you get my convoluted question? Or anyone... Thanks.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now