• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Taurine and Tinnitus

Bumping because I'm very interested myself. I have 1000mg taurine supplements right now and not sure how many to take a day.

If you wanted to re-create the human model using the lab mice formula, you would have to take 27 of the 1000mg pills if you are around 200 lbs.

Once or over the course of a week, month etc?

Probably not doing it but idk.

I think this was something like a 6 week study or so...in theory this could work but popping 27 pills of anything at once would just feel wrong... I think.
Anyway, if anyone here is brave enough to try, keep the rest of us posted... :)

I got taurine 500mg pills.
The instructions say to take 1 pill per day... can I increase the dosage safely?

I took 2mg diazepam before sleep and I slept about 3 hours and when I woke up I had
a strange tinnitus I had never heard before.

So I drank a local herbal tea (it has not affected tinnitus) and I took 500mg taurine & 100mg magnesium glycinate.

After about 40-60mins my tinnitus went to 0 (checked with earmuffs in a silent room).

I don't know if this has to do with variation to my tinnitus or the supplements I get...

Definitely taurine potentiates benzos and give you a nice relaxing feeling.

I don't know of course if it is safe or if it causes GABA downregulation...

1 hour after taking taurine 500mg it stopped my high frequency tinnitus again, if it exists, it is very mild (you hear it in quiet room).

Maybe taurine potentiates benzos.

But definitely has a calming effect and a rebound effect after wears off.

in theory this could work but popping 27 pills of anything at once would just feel wrong... I think.

WebMD says 12 grams of taurine per day for hepatitis (click on dosing). So maybe high doses are okay.

The top rated taurine product on Amazon (4.8 stars) comes as a powder that dissolves in water so could take a high dose without swallowing lots of pills.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1024/taurine

https://smile.amazon.com/BulkSupplements-Pure-Taurine-Powder-grams/dp/B00ENSLW5W

If you wanted to re-create the human model using the lab mice formula, you would have to take 27 of the 1000mg pills if you are around 200 lbs.

Over and over again I see web pages saying the human equivalent taurine dose of the mouse study is 700 mg to 3.2 mg. I cannot figure out what is the source of this "equivalence" and clearly it is not based on the relative weight of a mouse and a person.

Does anybody know if there is a solid source?

Here is one example of where it appears. The footnote leads back to the mouse study, which I believe does not include a human equivalent dose.

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2013/6/The-Forgotten-Longevity-Benefits-of-Taurine/Page-01

"Taurine improves the hearing ability in animals exposed to drugs like the antibiotic gentamicin, which is notoriously toxic to hearing.54 And in a boon for the 17% of us troubled by chronic tinnitus (ringing in the ears), taurine may be helpful in quieting the noise.57 Animal studies using human equivalent doses of 700 mg to 3.2 grams per day of taurine over the course of several weeks demonstrate near-complete resolution of tinnitus with taurine supplementation (the animals had been trained in tasks that are sensitive to distraction by tinnitus).55"

Over and over again I see web pages saying the human equivalent taurine dose of the mouse study is 700 mg to 3.2 mg. I cannot figure out what is the source of this "equivalence" and clearly it is not based on the relative weight of a mouse and a person.

Does anybody know if there is a solid source?

Here is one example of where it appears. The footnote leads back to the mouse study, which I believe does not include a human equivalent dose.

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2013/6/The-Forgotten-Longevity-Benefits-of-Taurine/Page-01

"Taurine improves the hearing ability in animals exposed to drugs like the antibiotic gentamicin, which is notoriously toxic to hearing.54 And in a boon for the 17% of us troubled by chronic tinnitus (ringing in the ears), taurine may be helpful in quieting the noise.57 Animal studies using human equivalent doses of 700 mg to 3.2 grams per day of taurine over the course of several weeks demonstrate near-complete resolution of tinnitus with taurine supplementation (the animals had been trained in tasks that are sensitive to distraction by tinnitus).55"

That I couldn't tell you, but it is a very good question.
All I know is that at the low dose in the mouse study, there is a mention of tinnitus pitch increasing instead of decreasing...that is the reason I discontinued using it.

I was thinking of trying Taurine, since that's one thing I haven't tried yet. My tinnitus is spiking so bad today and I haven't a clue why. You know "what did I eat that's different" "what did I drink that was different" "what supplement did I take or not take"? I truly get to a point where I just don't want to try anymore, but when it's as bad as it is today, I get desperate and start looking online again.

One person swears by Taurine, and the next, it sucks, don't waste your money. Boy you can tell I'm a happy-camper today, LOL!!

I use lots of energy drinks. I also took pure Taurine. No effect either way on my tinnitus.

I work out and run a lot. That's why I take this stuff.

Anyone who took taurine, did it ever exacerbate your tinnitus?

Taurine is an NDMA antagonist, so if anything, it's more likely to reduce your tinnitus.

I have taken taurine will no increases in tinnitus levels. Also, in my experience, the supplements that do cause my tinnitus to temporarily increase, stop doing so with continued use (ginger for example). I wouldn't worry about non-ototoxic substances.

I've never tried pure Taurine but took a sleep supplement called Travacor that contained Taurine. It did nothing for my sleep or my tinnitus and cost a fortune.

Wolfears,
that is the study I read too... will try to stay away from it (magnesium tuaurate) and see what happens....

To all the taurine posts here...

...2 months ago when I got tinnitus, I also started on high dose Magnesium Taurate (taurine), maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

Taurine can act as a stimulant or inhibitor to some neuro chemicals in the brain. If there is too much of this sulfur chemical/amino acid, it can possibly stimulate or inhibit that part of the brain causing the perfect environment for tinnitus to occur. Every one reacts different to even natural products!

As Wolears already posted from a study: "Three main effects were obtained with supplemental dietary taurine: (1) A significant, and reversible, tinnitus therapeutic effect was evident at the high dose level (4 mg/ml, or 294 mg/kg/da), but not the low dose level (1 mg/ml, or 67 mg/kg/da). (2) At the low dose, taurine may have exacerbated high-frequency components of the tinnitus. (3) Auditory discrimination performance was enhanced in normal-hearing rats in a dose-dependent manner".

We shall see, I am stopping this Magnesium Taurate as of yesterday, and I will keep you all posted... :)

Last edited:
Took low dose of Magnesium Taurate (taurine) 2 days ago, and my ear fullness and tinnitus spiked! Not good... so will not take this again.

We're all a bunch of fools sitting around and not taking action while the heads of the BTA and ATA don't do jack shit to help us and we suffer.

Nothing, because for me all that stuff just got in the way of the path towards feeling better. Everyone has to chart their own course through this, I think. At this point I'm not comfortable rattling off which GABAergics did or didn't temporarily reduce my tinnitus, because I think that stuff all set me back from healing.

Did you find regular Gaba harmful? I have been on it for a few weeks and I started getting some twitching. Going to wean off of it just in case but was wondering if Taurine was safer in your opinion as you mentioned being on a higher dose for awhile.

Did you find regular Gaba harmful? I have been on it for a few weeks and I started getting some twitching. Going to wean off of it just in case but was wondering if Taurine was safer in your opinion as you mentioned being on a higher dose for awhile.
No idea; I've never taken GABA for more than a day or so. As far as I know it's pretty benign but also doesn't do much as it can't really cross the blood/brain barrier in a meaningful quantity.

Twitching is a common sign of magnesium deficiency, though.

I've been trying Taurine for the past month. I happily report to you all that, for me, Taurine does appear to take some of the edge off tinnitus. In particular, the ear pressure sensation, the high frequency annoyance, and the good/bad days ratio.

I've tried many, many supplements, and so far it's the only supplement that appears to do anything positive. I was hesitant at first. I went through some of the threads regarding it here, and the results seem mixed. Some get better, some get worse, and some nothing. I'm convinced Taurine works to some degree for me. It doesn't totally alleviate it, but it does make it a little more tolerable.

Maybe for those of you who haven't tried it yet, give it a shot. I'm not particular to any brand, but FYI - I've been taking Bulk Supplements brand Taurine 1/2 teaspoon, 2-3 times daily. Maybe that's too much. I'll probably back off a little bit.

I've been trying Taurine for the past month. I happily report to you all that, for me, Taurine does appear to take some of the edge off tinnitus. In particular, the ear pressure sensation, the high frequency annoyance, and the good/bad days ratio.

I've tried many, many supplements, and so far it's the only supplement that appears to do anything positive. I was hesitant at first. I went through some of the threads regarding it here, and the results seem mixed. Some get better, some get worse, and some nothing. I'm convinced Taurine works to some degree for me. It doesn't totally alleviate it, but it does make it a little more tolerable.

Maybe for those of you who haven't tried it yet, give it a shot. I'm not particular to any brand, but FYI - I've been taking Bulk Supplements brand Taurine 1/2 teaspoon, 2-3 times daily. Maybe that's too much. I'll probably back off a little bit.
Good it helps you.

What dose are you taking? As in milligrams?

Is your tinnitus perceived in your head?

What dose are you taking? As in milligrams?

Is your tinnitus perceived in your head?
I estimate I've been taking around 2,000-2,500 mg 2-3 times daily. When it's very loud I perceive my tinnitus almost like a barrier between the outside world, and my head, if that makes any sense. Other times yes, it's a dull ringing perceived in my head.

I encourage you who haven't tried Taurine yet to check it out! Don't dismiss it like I did. It may help you.

Thanks.

I did try Taurine 3g / day in 2014. I was also doing IV Glutathione and other things, so not sure if it helped or not. At the time, I thought it did.

Am I right in thinking that studies have shown only higher doses helpful in alleviating tinnitus?

This worries me in taking lower doses, that my tinnitus may spike.

Was the effect immediate or did it seem to help after being on it for a few days?

Do you plan on staying on it long term? I think I even did an amino acid study which showed a deficiency in Taurine.

Thanks.

I did try Taurine 3g / day in 2014. I was also doing IV Glutathione and other things, so not sure if it helped or not. At the time, I thought it did.

Am I right in thinking that studies have shown only higher doses helpful in alleviating tinnitus?

This worries me in taking lower doses, that my tinnitus may spike.

Was the effect immediate or did it seem to help after being on it for a few days?

Do you plan on staying on it long term? I think I even did an amino acid study which showed a deficiency in Taurine.
I wouldn't worry. You may already be getting Taurine in your diet somehow, not even being aware of it. It's very likely Taurine won't do anything at all one way or the other for you. Some here report taking relatively high dosages with no benefit to their tinnitus. But, there's a post here by a woman who swears a low Glutamate diet has helped her along with taking Taurine. Her post is what encouraged me to try Taurine after I had already written it off as bogus. So far she's been right. Taurine has helped me.

It's tough for me to say how immediate the effects are. My tinnitus fluctuates dramatically from day to day. On average though, the good days have become more frequent and the bad days aren't quite as bad. The feeling of pressure in my ears has reduced quite a bit. I have no plans to stop. I'll probably play with the dosage. I'm thinking lately I may try taking an even higher dose for a little bit. I've had zero side effects from it.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now