• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Chit Chat and All That...

@Damocles is right.

For us not living well with the amount of ear trouble given to us. The anxiety alone, not knowing what's around the next corner is reason enough to have protection on outside amongst people or traffic.

You can compare it to walking around in unsafe neighbour hoods during nights. Just the same consequences, sooner or later.
Seems using hearing protection all the time doesn't help, but setbacks are worse than using hearing protection imo. Ideally would be safe sound around us all the time and no earplugs lol.

Seems using hearing protection all the time doesn't help, but setbacks are worse than using hearing protection imo. Ideally would be safe sound around us all the time and no earplugs lol.
It's ridiculous no matter what :)

But if I did as @Vasilis, I would have posted a success story 21 months ago...

I was 90 % okay...

Of course who knows what would have happened later on...

Probably a setback or my brain would have been able to recalibrate and ears getting more robust until the next setback.

Couldn't have gotten any worse that's safe to say...

Um... I think it depends on how you choose to define "all the time".

For instance, I wore earplugs for everything at one period (early years) and got rewarded with a dozen ear infections all through the year.

Same thing happened with @Bill Bauer and some other people whose stories I used to read when I was lurking.

Also @GoatSheep recently shared a research paper that suggested sound deprivation causes actual physical damage to the ear's IES, which would backup @Stacken77's belief that his tinnitus was made worse via over-protecting.

Though I can't really comment on that, as right now I don't think there's enough conclusive evidence.

All I can put forward, is what's worked/working for me, and that's to protect within environments I can't: control, modify or expect consideration, with my intolerance to sound in mind. That means I wear protection to just the maximum point in a day before the skin inside my ears might begin to suffer too much abrasion and/or become a perfect anaerobic breeding ground for bacteria.

Going back to the sound deprivation theory just once more, I'll say that when I do suffer a spike, I try to spend as much time in near silence for a couple of days, as I can, up until the point the alarm in my (usually) left ear has subsided.

I remember the first couple months after the severe onset, I spent a couple of days not leaving my room, and the tinnitus became whisper quiet (it was beautiful). And then that same day, I decided to travel outside my front door, walked past a playground of screaming children; never heard that level of silence ever again in my life.

So, make of it what you will.

It's ridiculous no matter what :)

But if I did as @Vasilis, I would have posted a success story 21 months ago...

I was 90 % okay...

Of course who knows what would have happened later on...

Probably a setback or my brain would have been able to recalibrate and ears getting more robust until the next setback.

Couldn't have gotten any worse that's safe to say...
So why have you plateaued? Has your brain just accepted this as the new normal?

Um... I think it depends on how you choose to define "all the time".

For instance, I wore earplugs for everything at one period (early years) and got rewarded with a dozen ear infections all through the year.

Same thing happened with @Bill Bauer and some other people whose stories I used to read when I was lurking.

Also @GoatSheep recently shared a research paper that suggested sound deprivation causes actual physical damage to the ear's IES, which would backup @Stacken77's belief that his tinnitus was made worse via over-protecting.

Though I can't really comment on that, as right now I don't think there's enough conclusive evidence.

All I can put forward, is what's worked/working for me, and that's to protect within environments I can't: control, modify or expect consideration, with my intolerance to sound in mind. That means I wear protection to just the maximum point in a day before the skin inside my ears might begin to suffer too much abrasion and/or become a perfect anaerobic breeding ground for bacteria.

Going back to the sound deprivation theory just once more, I'll say that when I do suffer a spike, I try to spend as much time in near silence for a couple of days, as I can, up until the point the alarm in my (usually) left ear has subsided.

I remember the first couple months after the severe onset, I spent a couple of days not leaving my room, and the tinnitus became whisper quiet (it was beautiful). And then that same day, I decided to travel outside my front door, walked past a playground of screaming children; never heard that level of silence ever again in my life.

So, make of it what you will.
Solid post and I agree. I think the general rule is if one is unsure whether to protect or allow sound, just protect.

Isolated in a room allowing a controlled noise environment would be safest bet.

I still don't know if regular white noise frequencies that causes my ears to squeal does long term damage. The consensus is no but not sure anymore.

I still don't know if regular white noise frequencies that causes my ears to squeal does long term damage. The consensus is no but not sure anymore.
For real @Wrfortiscue.

I don't know whether these white/pink/orange-noises can actually be harmful to my/one's ears or not, but I do know that my ears sure as hell don't like them.

Keep well away myself.

Running tap, getting dressed, scratching, moving around, driving, brushing teeth :D
BED96326-3A84-443F-A094-F97CD09F07FF.gif

White noise is a good portion of every noise we hear so good luck escaping that one :)
Laptop fan (my work), PlayStation, projector, ceiling fans... yeah lol pretty much all day.
Running tap, getting dressed, scratching, moving around, driving, brushing teeth :D
Okay guys, I think that's enough naming practically every sound recognisable to the human ear for one day.

I was of course talking about sound generating devices, hence the inclusion of Pink, and the sketchy sounding Orange, noise.

Otherwise yeah, @Wrfortiscue, just don't move, or do anything ever again, and you'll be "fine".

Good morning people, it's been a while. How's life treating everyone?

Feck me with a dirty stick! Absolute filth in here now... :eek:

upload_2022-3-26_11-25-49.gif

Time for a cold/flu I guess.
@Damocles urgh! If I lived near you, I would bring you grapes and Lucozade. <3
@Steph1710 how far away are we talking about?
We can't afford losing Damocles.
@aura's right, this is serious.

Don't think I'm gonna make it if I don't get seen by a doctor and an archaeological historian soon.

Guess you're both going to have to come over. (¬ ‿ ¬)
@Damocles, after seeing Steph checking that turtle's lymph nodes, i don't think you guys really need me there.:)
drsteph.PNG

I wouldn't let anyone BUT Steph near my lymph nodes after seeing how she took care of that turtle. For real.
*Steph's turtle since she discharged him*

feelingood.gif

The turtle taught me a thing or two.
So you'll be roller-skating to the new job each morning now, Steph?

View attachment 49642

*Steph's turtle since she discharged him*

View attachment 49643

Wow. That turtle is so happy, green and... alive after Steph's intervention. :wideyed:

Hey, @Steph1710, wanna come over and check my lymph nodes too? I am depressed AF and nothing seems to be working these days.

I don't need grapes and Lucozade. Feel free to bring that secret shamanic thing though.

Chrissy should have hit the floor, and gone to the hospital after Willie slapped him. He then could have sued him for all kinds of damage, for many millions.

Wow. That turtle is so happy, green and... alive after Steph's intervention. :wideyed:
It's my magic touch. :troll:
Hey, @Steph1710, wanna come over and check my lymph nodes too? I am depressed AF and nothing seems to be working these days.

I don't need grapes and Lucozade. Feel free to bring that secret shamanic thing though.
I'm sorry to hear that @aura :( If I could magic away your symptoms, I really would.

However, I can grow your penis - would you like that?

*hugs*

Actually, that's a bit of a sore point. Before tinnitus/hyperacusis I used to roller skate a lot. Now, I am WAY too scared to do it. Skates on solid wooden floor, or pavement is such a no go. I'd be a fool to undertake such a thing these days.

You've been had! Haha.
TFW @Wrfortiscue doesn't realise he's (also) Tinnitus Talk members. :welcomesignanimation:
However, I can grow your penis - would you like that?
*waiting patiently in line*
Grow that thing any bigger and you're gonna need to take out extra home insurance.

crush.gif

Anyway I'm okay for this, as Steph has already grown mine a couple of times. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hey that's my dream house in the middle of nowhere you're dicking with!
Mate, I'm a how you use it kind of guy; you've got the wrong man. That's @Wrfortiscue's "tree" that's "dicking" with your house in the middle of nowhere.

Tell him to stop toying with the idea of enhancements, because he's already a source of global anxiety.

Interesting fact: @Wrfortiscue was the reason North Korea began developing nuclear weapons.

un.jpg

Kim-on-bomb2-thegem-blog-default.jpg

Mate, I'm a how you use it kind of guy; you've got the wrong man. That's @Wrfortiscue's "tree" that's "dicking" with your house in the middle of nowhere.

Tell him to stop toying with the idea of enhancements, because he's already a source of global anxiety.

Interesting fact: @Wrfortiscue was the reason North Korea began developing nuclear weapons.

View attachment 49682

View attachment 49683
Man you're making me seem like I'm King Kong lol. Your broadsword is way more powerful than my dagger haha.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now