• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Chit Chat and All That...

Suddenly I felt like my ear was burning and really red... all this like at 1 am at night. I tried to keep calm because, what is one going to do at 1 am with an odd "problem", COVID-19 at hospitals and the useless Spanish ER?

This morning I woke up with no tinnitus, no burning feeling but the feeling of hearing worse. It's all really strange and I wonder if it's something I ate yesterday, or the long walk in the evening...
It sounds a bit like an allergic reaction. I experienced something similar years when friends of mine took me to a Mexican restaurant. Everything was perfect until I got home and the exact same thing happened to me. I've had Mexican food before and since (but never at that particular place again) with no problems, so figured it must have been a spice or additive they used.

Did your tinnitus come back or do you still get to enjoy your silence?

Man you're making me seem like I'm King Kong lol. Your broadsword is way more powerful than my dagger haha.
Yours and Damocles' Kim on a rocket post reminded me of the closing scene in Dr. Strangelove where Slim Pickens sits astride a nuclear missile dropped from his B-52 over Russia. His character name actually is Major "King" Kong :wacky:

kp.jpg

It sounds a bit like an allergic reaction. I experienced something similar years when friends of mine took me to a Mexican restaurant. Everything was perfect until I got home and the exact same thing happened to me. I've had Mexican food before and since (but never at that particular place again) with no problems, so figured it must have been a spice or additive they used.

Did your tinnitus come back or do you still get to enjoy your silence?
What I experienced was a shift in hearing perception, worse hearing, and it did not go back to baseline. This happened like 10 days ago and I was considering going to ER or a private doctor to get Dexamethasone injections through the eardrum... but after so many years with hearing problems I am just tired of the whole thing and I doubt the injections are going to be very effective, considering the progressive deterioration of my hearing no matter what I do...

Tinnitus is not the big problem for me, as it shifts but it is tolerable, and I experience silence often. The problem is the hyperacusis + hearing loss combo. Tinnitus is a sign, in my case, of further hearing loss, as it usually spikes when there is a noise offence, and this triggers hearing loss.

I was considering going to ER or a private doctor to get Dexamethasone injections through the eardrum... but after so many years with hearing problems I am just tired of the whole thing and I doubt the injections are going to be very effective, considering the progressive deterioration of my hearing no matter what I do...
I'm sorry to hear your hearing and hearing perception didn't go back to baseline. I get your reluctance to go on another doctor odyssey. I guess, we've all made the same kind of experiences when it comes to ENTs...
Tinnitus is not the big problem for me, as it shifts but it is tolerable, and I experience silence often. The problem is the hyperacusis + hearing loss combo.
I didn't realise your tinnitus was fluctuating but as a fellow hyperacusis sufferer I know how disturbing it can be when something sets off your hyperacusis in a way you haven't experienced before. This in combination with hearing loss does, indeed, sound rather horrible.

Fingers crossed that whatever triggered the change will subside in time!

That's hilarious. Never knew The Simpsons had parodied Strangelove. Did you see the original movie? Defo one of my all time favourites.
This is one of those things that highlights a generational gap, and exposes the peak in human intelligence having been reached sometime around the mid 20th century.

I only ever recognised the bomb riding scene from The Simpsons, and had never known there was an original depiction of it in this Doctor Strangelove film, until today.

Of course I'm aware a good 70% of the comedy in The Simpsons is parodying iconic events and media in popular culture, but the bomb ride was lost on me.

Young people confusing parodies and adaptations for the original content; yeah it started with my generation (I believe), but it's only getting worse with the later ones.

Another frustrating misconception from my teen years I had to witness with head in hands:

This 1960's classic (I'm sure you'll know):

Adapted by The Black Eyed Peas in 2006:

Why? I'll never know. They literally took an epic instrumental song and just put a bunch of sh*t lyrics over it.

"Pump it... louder!" (Really!? :facepalm:)

But here's the kicker: all those people I was at college with, all the people playing it in the classrooms and on their walkmans and phones; none of them had ever heard of f*cking Dick Dale and His Del Tones or even a little known film by the name of Pulp Fiction. No mate, this was an original song created by that amazingly talented band The Black Eyed Peas...

6awdex.gif

I'm sorry to hear your hearing and hearing perception didn't go back to baseline. I get your reluctance to go on another doctor odyssey. I guess, we've all made the same kind of experiences when it comes to ENTs...
When my hyperacusis started, at the beginning, I followed the advice of doctors and had tests that made everything worse. For instance, I went to the maxillofacial doctor (TMJ doctor) and he explored my jaw. Then said "this is not going to be caused by any TMJ or jaw problem" but let's do an MRI just to have some images... well... horrible experience, hyperacusis went through the roof, got a bit of hearing loss, everything worsened due to an MRI that was not necessary.

I also had evoked potentials and stapedial reflex tests that were not needed...

So now I really would like to do an MRI just in case there is something there that can be fixed (which, on the other hand, I doubt because my hyperacusis was caused by noise)... and at the same time I am afraid of doing an MRI again, so I have been postponing this for years.

The only change is the progressive deterioration of my hearing, which could be worsened by an MRI, or maybe could stop if there is something there that can be seen on an image test and fixed.

This is one of those things that highlights a generational gap, and exposes the peak in human intelligence having been reached sometime around the mid 20th century.
That Dick Hale tune is a classic.

To be fair, I also got reminded of the generation gap a few times over the years. Once with my old fella back in '77 when this (what I thought was a reggae) tune kept coming on the radio:

I'd been crowing on to him about how wonderfully melodic pop music had become at which point he quietly pointed me in the direction of the LP, Saint-Saens: Symphony No. 3 "Organ" in his record collection:

Check out Dr. Strangelove if you can. Defo stood the test of time.

So now I really would like to do an MRI just in case there is something there that can be fixed (which, on the other hand, I doubt because my hyperacusis was caused by noise)... and at the same time I am afraid of doing an MRI again, so I have been postponing this for years.

The only change is the progressive deterioration of my hearing, which could be worsened by an MRI, or maybe could stop if there is something there that can be seen on an image test and fixed.
Oh dear, that sounds like a really bad case of Catch 22! I wish you all the best and hope that whatever decision you'll be making, will be the right one.

The last time I had to have an MRI done was before I got hyperacusis / reactive tinnitus, so I understand your fears because I would want to get one done anytime soon, either.

What I remember from the one of the last ones I had done is that I had a really nasty cough and because of this they had to pause in between sequences. Because of my cough I was told over the headphones "The next sequence will be 2 minutes and 20 seconds, do you think you can manage?" and I'd be counting seconds.

If you consider getting the MRI, maybe you could check with your radiologist if something similar is possible. I was told it's not one long sequence but a number of sequences because the machine has to adjust in between. And maybe you don't have to have all sequences taken, either, but just the one(s) necessary to figure whether something really is wrong.

If you consider getting the MRI, maybe you could check with your radiologist if something similar is possible. I was told it's not one long sequence but a number of sequences because the machine has to adjust in between. And maybe you don't have to have all sequences taken, either, but just the one(s) necessary to figure whether something really is wrong.
My MRI experience was really traumatic. For starters hearing protection was not provided. I carried my own foam earplugs, but failed to get dielectric earmuffs.

On top of that it was a jaw MRI that involves opening the mouth, which means no matter if you are wearing hearing protection or not, the sound will be felt through your opened mouth... terrible...

And this was a long time ago. The machine was loud. And I went to this expensive private clinic... I thought they would know better, and the equipment would be better too!

So, to sum up, I was inexperienced and trusted doctors, the clinic etc... and most doctors and clinics care only about making money, not about patients, let alone when they are dealing with something uncommon like severe hyperacusis.

@Rockman, that's a shame :( I really want to find someone who's seen a show. I'm tempted to catch a flight to the US to try find one myself. It's a very 80s thing, so I guess unless you were born early 80s or before, you probably wouldn't know of it.

My MRI experience was really traumatic. For starters hearing protection was not provided. I carried my own foam earplugs, but failed to get dielectric earmuffs.

On top of that it was a jaw MRI that involves opening the mouth, which means no matter if you are wearing hearing protection or not, the sound will be felt through your opened mouth... terrible...
That sounds horrible! People (even doctors) with normal hearing just cannot imagine what the kind of noise that seems rather harmless to them can do to a person with hyperacusis. I'm sorry you had to experience something so painful.

Can I just state how much all these new avatars are irritating me? Just when I got used to who's who, everybody's got a facelift and I'm back to square one <insert smiley that's pulling its hair>

So @aura, you're plugging Ukrainian candies a lot lately.

Let me guess: you purchased yourself a few sweet factories in Kyiv for a bargain of 10 lei each (due to the ongoing crisis), and now you're flogging them sweets on Tinnitus Talk and Instagram (?), to make yourself some extra...

View attachment 49510
Yeah, Frank.
You're not you when you're hungry.
Just grab a candy like I did.

View attachment 49733
Shameless.
Calm down Frank. ;)
frank.PNG

Also shameless.

Because this isn't just any candy, this is KOPOBAura (@aura owned) candy, and you're plugging it again.
Only the best candies in the world :rolleyes:

View attachment 49458

"The Ukrainian cream-fudge "Korovka" is totally unforgettable!
No matter the age, many remember these soft fudge candies as a very tasty part of their childhood."
You're one candy post away from becoming worse than @Juan young lady, with his ability to make any topic about inflation.

aus.png

dw.PNG

ju.PNG

dwight.gif

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now