Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

Righto. "Benzodiazepines do not have any effect on the levels of GABA in the brain.[94] Clonazepam has no effect on GABA levels and has no effect on gamma-aminobutyric acid transaminase. Clonazepam does, however, affect glutamate decarboxylase activity. It differs from other anticonvulsant drugs it was compared to in a study"

"Retigabine acts as activator of voltage – gated potassium channels ("M-channels"). It induces neuronal hyperpolarization and stabilization of the membrane resting potential (3). Another mechanism of action involves GABA. Kapetanovic MP et al. (1995) (4) showed increased synthesis of GABA in rat hipocampal slices. The enhanced chloride current, induced by GABA is not caused by activation of benzodiazepine receptors (5). Sills GJ et al. (2000) (6) reported that Retigabine diminish the concentrations of glutamate and glutamine in mouse brain."

"Perampanel is a new and unique seizure medication that blocks the action of glutamate at AMPA receptors in the brain. Glutamate affects how electrical activity is spread in the brain. It is believed that perampanel helps to reduce seizures by blocking this electrical spread, although the full details are not clear."

Clear link=glutamate.

I am very low BMI -- 6'1", 155lbs male. I'm also sensitized to GABAergics from long-term benzo use (discontinued in 2013).

I wasn't, you know, falling over and drooling -- I was just jumbling words a little bit (tendency to say things like "put the stove on the kettle"), and my typing skills were worse than usual, significantly more typos and a split-second delay remembering commands and syntax which I usually don't have to think about at all. But, that's a problem for me, because I am under a lot of pressure at work right now, we have some very tight timelines, and something which causes a 5-10% hit to my productivity is going to cause problems.

That said, if there had been any impact at all on my T, and the overall physical experience hadn't been so unpleasant, then I might have been more cavalier about proceeding...
BMI has no influence for Trobalt ... so a skinny person will be no more drugged or more helped than a big one ... I don`t remember where I read it but is like this.

Danny would you say keppra is safer than trobalt for Hyperacusis?

Nothing safe about both of them. Read zmichaels and svintegritys posts...

And stop asking Dannyboy questions if youre right in your mind.
After his posts on previous page he lost all of his credibility when it comes to trobalt and keppra. Sorry.
He was the one who (over)advertised trobalt on every occasion and many of the people here probably tried it because of him. And now?

After his posts on previous page he lost all of his credibility when it comes to trobalt and keppra. Sorry.
He was the one who (over)advertised trobalt on every occasion and many of the people here probably tried it because of him. And now?
Keppra is safer than Trobalt but not `safe` in general .. none of these drugs are safe i guess ... my neurologist prescribed me keppra but not Trobalt ... he seemed very knowledgeable.. .he just warned me for character changes ..

well what post... and danny permanently got better from trobalt...

i use trobalt now and i became totaly immune on it

I know that, im not new here :p
I have enough keppra here but I havent tried it out and probably wont, because of the psychological side effects described by zmichael. Theres still no "safe".

Just wait a second. The drug is dangerous, heck it is, who on earth said it was safe? Nobody ever said it was and I never. Trobalt is fine, if you're not doing it for a long period of time. I am not going to pretend it is safe, as that's foolish. Do I regret taking trobalt? No. Because I have a reduction which is amazing and no hyperacusis anymore. If I never took trobalt, I would be dead far gone, so sorry I'm glad I took it. Anyhow, as I keep saying I recommend it as a last line drug, only taken in the most extreme circumstances. Anyway, my efforts are focused finding something safer than trobalt for people to take. And seriously? Side-effects are different person to person. I could take antidepressants which can cause me to think about suicide. The same is said about any AED. Even trobalt carries the warning, every AED will. Keppra is quite safe considering what benzos can do.

Yes keppra is safer than trobalt. But as with any AED there are side-effects and even with antidepressants they all carry warnings about suicide idealisation.
I wonder why this suicide idealization happens ... I had it too when on Trobalt the first time ... what the hell makes the brain want to shut itself off??

I wonder why this suicide idealization happens ... I had it too when on Trobalt the first time ... what the hell makes the brain want to shut itself off??
Well, I have never had suicide idealisation because as soon as my tinnitus was lower I wanted to live. All our brains are wired differently. Side-effects are listed, you may or may not get them, I can't promise what you will or won't get. Nobody can make that guarantee.

@Danny Boy it sounds like you're experiencing "Blue Field Entoptic Phenomenon." It is a relatively common thing and most people can see it at least a little bit if they're made aware of it and actively seek it out.

@Danny Boy it sounds like you're experiencing "Blue Field Entoptic Phenomenon." It is a relatively common thing and most people can see it at least a little bit if they're made aware of it and actively seek it out.

Yeah, I thought as much. I thought it was floaters, because of Nick's video. I get paranoid very quickly, but that's the internet for you.

No. Because I have a reduction which is amazing and no hyperacusis anymore. If I never took trobalt, I would be dead far gone, so sorry I'm glad I took it. Anyhow, as I keep saying I recommend it as a last line drug, only taken in the most extreme circumstances.

Seriously, if Autifony fails, I'll be pretty much gone.

So, what is it? Amazing reduction from Trobalt or you will be gone if Autifony fails?

Im not talking about side effects, I dont care about that, I was talking about your contradicting posts you´ve been writing lately.

@Christian78
This posts!

Im out

Danny boy only had a problem as soon as he google out some KV modulator he is advocating it to be use

that *pamral* or what , keppra (viking used it but i don't trust any more his experience), and so. @snow86 he has maybe too much free time and he beleave he is helping everyone, he done it on tinnitus Facebook page and he was banned...

Danny dont have tinnitus so strong as before, he has stash of trobalt to help him sleep, and if it was not for his real health problem
So, what is it? Amazing reduction from Trobalt or you will be gone if Autifony fails?

Im not talking about side effects, I dont care about that, I was talking about your contradicting posts you´ve been writing lately.

@Christian78
This posts!

Im out

well it helped him, and that guy mtp or something, also it questable was it trobalt. my trobalt dont help me 1% any more, but side effect make me take it so i can sleep, or make me groggy so i cant concantrate.

for people who have low T i think they should use Trob. 6 month. it make it lower and it make you grogy and makes you habituate, i did 3 times when my t went up. but severe does not help.

I DID WHEN I STARTED USING TROBALT GOT EFFECT OF REDUCTION OF 80%

NOW i am honestly contemplating suicide, i wish and would like to live and to see so many thing that i missed and to love, to write funny books and to study my IT, and and and ... but i am cripple, i cant read my t go up, i cant play game on comp my t goes up i am forbidden to concentrate. I am of no use to man kind and i cant my life.

There is no point in prolonging agony, and if this worsens again soon and it happen now 6 times in 2 year, i have no choice but to end this, how i dont know, maybe i go to Isis republic and pay someone to shoot me :D

I love you all, but i am honestly critical, and it is not joke, and i chose rationally not to endure this torture. But i wish all who want and who must for their family and kids to survive as long as you can.

Under is link from part of consultation from dr Jeanmonod from Switzerland ... you can see details

tKZFupn.png

Sad video knowing this guy killed himself. Was it becasue of his tinnitus? Or was it his eye issue?

He habituated to the eye floaters. It was the hyperacusis he couldn't handle. His tinnitus was low, but the hyperacusis was hell. I have noticed more people who have both tinntus and hyperacusis end up killing themselves sadly. I have cured me, and thank the lord I did, otherwise I would've ended up the same. Hyperacusis is pure hell.

6/7 months for Autifony results. You would be mad to check out before awaiting these results. Hang in there guys - Especially Christian. Hang in there. Help is on the way. We're all in the same boat as this T can only get worse if you take into account Dental Drilling, necessary Drugs and acoustic trauma which will pop up from time to time. We need an antidote and it should be coming. Get to Christmas and the results are nearly out. Break time down and set survival goals... Also work on reaction - It has helped me in the past few weeks. The T was critical but is now manageable again as I'm motivating myself with different things to get me through the day. Soon the days turn into a week - Then a month - Then 6 months and results are out. Hopefully we can get off this death row next year.

Best to all

R

6/7 months for Autifony results. You would be mad to check out before awaiting these results. Hang in there guys - Especially Christian. Hang in there. Help is on the way. We're all in the same boat as this T can only get worse if you take into account Dental Drilling, necessary Drugs and acoustic trauma which will pop up from time to time. We need an antidote and it should be coming. Get to Christmas and the results are nearly out. Break time down and set survival goals... Also work on reaction - It has helped me in the past few weeks. The T was critical but is now manageable again as I'm motivating myself with different things to get me through the day. Soon the days turn into a week - Then a month - Then 6 months and results are out. Hopefully we can get off this death row next year.

Best to all

R

What's the biggest city in Ireland? Dublin, because it keep doubling lol.

That's because I didn't know what floaters were. I only bothered to look it up, after Nick's video was put up on his facebook after he died. I then looked it up and I was like, yep I got them. I've actually had them since I was a child, but thought it was normal and didn't know what the term 'floaters' were. But as of yet, I don't know if trobalt is the cause of new floaters as I didn't pay attention to them, until I looked for them. So very difficult to say. All I know is, they are bloody annoying. And when I'm getting my eyesight checked they should ask me and inform me what they are. Seriously, the whole world has a lack of commutation on very common things. Thankfully, I don't have any dark ones just clear ones.

Horrible...because I got two vitrectomies done because of floaters and it is not a risky surgery ...... :( I have had it done in Leuven Belgium and they do this surgery every day for people with floaters. I can agree that it is a very bad condition ....just like T. When I had it I thought it was the worst thing in the world and after this 10 years later I got T.....both are horrible. Everybody has some floaters to some degree in their lifetime, but I had the same as he had. Strings , dots you name it my whole vision was blurred from this. The surgery was done in 3 hours and I was home after 2 days. You need to take a lot of time to let your eyes heal so I could not work for 6 months straight and then did the other eye and also did not work for six months. After that my eyes are clear again and I have 20/20 vision no floaters no cataract or anything. :)
Really terrible they tell people nothing can be done. In the Netherlands they tell you the same, but in Belgium it's a common thing so I went to Belgium and my insurance covered it completely.

Horrible...because I got two vitrectomies done because of floaters and it is not a risky surgery ...... :( I have had it done in Leuven Belgium and they do this surgery every day for people with floaters. I can agree that it is a very bad condition ....just like T. When I had it I thought it was the worst thing in the world and after this 10 years later I got T.....both are horrible. Everybody has some floaters to some degree in their lifetime, but I had the same as he had. Strings , dots you name it my whole vision was blurred from this. The surgery was done in 3 hours and I was home after 2 days. You need to take a lot of time to let your eyes heal so I could not work for 6 months straight and then did the other eye and also did not work for six months. After that my eyes are clear again and I have 20/20 vision no floaters no cataract or anything. :)
Really terrible they tell people nothing can be done. In the Netherlands they tell you the same, but in Belgium it's a common thing so I went to Belgium and my insurance covered it completely.

Awesome! You must've had a really, really bad case. I did read up that they were studying in the 80's how to eliminate enzymes in the eye but the funding got cut and that was that. It's odd that they underfund something so common, then again, so is tinntus.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now