• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

Yeah, I think were getting a little ahead of ourselves by cutting pills to save $'s. Were still experimenting and shouldn't think long term usage yet IMO. Wait till this med has somewhat of a track record for helping tinnitus and a tolerable side effect profile.

About Retigabine's side effects, they are well documented. Some of them--like bluing and ocular changes--are common but are associated with higher doses and longer duration. Others, like urinary retention, may not be dose dependent and may appear at any time. That said, urinary retention is uncommon. Slowly increasing one's dosage and taking the minimum dose for the briefest period--like @benyru's excellent dosing chart documents--is the best way to minimize side effects.

To better understand Retigabine's side effects, I found a useful article how Kv7 channel modulators, including Retigabine and Fluriptine, affect smooth muscles--like the bladder. The article includes a graphic that might be of interest. I am not going to cut and paste the graphic because it's copyrighted.

Br J Pharmacol. 2013 Jan;168(1):19-27. doi: 10.1111/j.1476-5381.2012.02133.x.

One man's side effect is another man's therapeutic opportunity: targeting Kv7 channels in smooth muscle disorders.
Jepps TA1, Olesen SP, Greenwood IA.
Author information

Abstract

Retigabine is a first in class anticonvulsant that has recently undergone clinical trials to test its efficacy in epileptic patients. Retigabine's novel mechanism of action - activating Kv7 channels - suppresses neuronal activity to prevent seizure generation by hyperpolarizing the membrane potential and suppressing depolarizing surges. However, Kv7 channels are not expressed exclusively in neurones and data generated over the last decade have shown that Kv7 channels play a key role in various smooth muscle systems of the body. This review discusses the potential of targeting Kv7 channels in the smooth muscle to treat diseases such as hypertension, bladder instability, constipation and preterm labour.

© 2012 The Authors. British Journal of Pharmacology © 2012 The British Pharmacological Society.

Reference:

Of course!:)

sorry for my absence. The situation is this: I have a probably benign prostate hypertrophy. Not sure. I have to do an ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder next week. I talked to a urologist explaining that the Trobalt can make these problems but he did not think it was the Trobalt. He suggested I ask the neurologist (which unfortunately is on holiday) if I take drugs alfalitici along with Trobalt. I will let you know the results of the examinations. it's all very strange. Usually these problems affect people aged 60 and over. Thanks again for your support.
Ivan

I forgot one important thing: the Trobalt,was improving my situation very frequent (tensive) urination. Also reducing migraine and tobacco smoke.
I was very sorry to have to suspend. I hope to resume as soon as possible therapy

I forgot one important thing: the Trobalt,was improving my situation very frequent (tensive) urination. Also reducing migraine and tobacco smoke.
I was very sorry to have to suspend. I hope to resume as soon as possible therapy
Quit the smoking if you can. I stopped when T came on. Smoking amplifies it ten fold.

Surely cigarettes are bad for the whole human organism but I have not received any benefit by stopping back in 2006. After 6 months I started smoking again and there was no difference. After 3 years I felt for the case of hashish and contrary to what "world" said helped me a lot. I had only one day a month of bad tinnitus. I stopped because the risks are too great. In my area (near Naples) if police found something do not differentiate. You are a drug dealer .... and make a bad end ... Now There is a war going on in the streets of drugs

@Christian78 If you take a look at the dosage chart that @benryu posted, it may be important that you taper down slowly as well. If you are currently at 200mg, three times a day (total 600mg a day), then you might consider reducing the dosage by 100mg total a week, until you get to 150mg.
I think the fact that your T stopped for some time means that it is possible that the drug is having an effect. When are you considering taking the course again in Sweden?

@just1morething , the urinary retention issues are pretty scary. We don't know yet what @Viking has just yet, hopefully he will update soon. I asked a few doctors (I have a ton in my family and my best friend is a doctor), and they all say that urinary retention is very rare as a side effect to any drug, and it is usually only something you have to worry about if you are old (like over 60).

Well i will stay at parents until 23 aug, in Sweden i should meet doctor 3 September so... we will see will she give it to me or neurologist.

About Retigabine's side effects, they are well documented. Some of them--like bluing and ocular changes--are common but are associated with higher doses and longer duration. Others, like urinary retention, may not be dose dependent and may appear at any time. That said, urinary retention is uncommon. Slowly increasing one's dosage and taking the minimum dose for the briefest period--like @benyru's excellent dosing chart documents--is the best way to minimize side effects.

To better understand Retigabine's side effects, I found a useful article how Kv7 channel modulators, including Retigabine and Fluriptine, affect smooth muscles--like the bladder. The article includes a graphic that might be of interest. I am not going to cut and paste the graphic because it's copyrighted.

Br J Pharmacol. 2013 Jan;168(1):19-27. doi: 10.1111/j.1476-5381.2012.02133.x.

One man's side effect is another man's therapeutic opportunity: targeting Kv7 channels in smooth muscle disorders.
Jepps TA1, Olesen SP, Greenwood IA.
Author information

Abstract

Retigabine is a first in class anticonvulsant that has recently undergone clinical trials to test its efficacy in epileptic patients. Retigabine's novel mechanism of action - activating Kv7 channels - suppresses neuronal activity to prevent seizure generation by hyperpolarizing the membrane potential and suppressing depolarizing surges. However, Kv7 channels are not expressed exclusively in neurones and data generated over the last decade have shown that Kv7 channels play a key role in various smooth muscle systems of the body. This review discusses the potential of targeting Kv7 channels in the smooth muscle to treat diseases such as hypertension, bladder instability, constipation and preterm labour.

© 2012 The Authors. British Journal of Pharmacology © 2012 The British Pharmacological Society.

Reference:
Reading this article i was wondering if maybe thanks to Trobalt I hadn't more problems with frequent urination!
Confess that, although I have had those pains similar to a prostatitis in past days, today my tinnitus are 1000 and took the Trobalt after dinner (now) ...

Reading this article i was wondering if maybe thanks to Trobalt I hadn't more problems with frequent urination!
Confess that, although I have had those pains similar to a prostatitis in past days, today my tinnitus are 1000 and took the Trobalt after dinner (now) ...

I would follow the taper up strategy that has been posted in this thread. It seems legit and makes plenty of sense. You don't want to shock your central nervous system.

What does 1000 mean ?

@Christian78 Aren't you somewhat reluctant to restart Trobalt with the health conditions @Viking is having? You're not a twin brother to @Christian78 are you.:) I typed that by accident.

I used trobalt but too fast up to 300 mg and did not had any body side effect except cognitive, so i am not scared. NOpe it is ok, we just deleted dupicate so Christian78 is my nick it had error 1978 but it is ok now.

I believe Trobal say if you have enlarged prostate you are more prone to urinary problems.

Not 1000mg!!! The tinnitus is high then i return on trobalt 100mg x day for a week and dismissing slowly from clonazepam!
Hi Viking. What do you mean by high?
Can you say in your case that Trobalt lowered your tinnitus?
And thanks for informing us.
All the best for you.

Hi Viking. What do you mean by high?
Can you say in your case that Trobalt lowered your tinnitus?
And thanks for informing us.
All the best for you.
Yes it was taking a positive effect but it's too early to tell. could also be a placebo effect. I want to try for at least 2 weeks hoping not to have any major side effects

Yes it was taking a positive effect but it's too early to tell. could also be a placebo effect. I want to try for at least 2 weeks hoping not to have any major side effects
Good. Thanks. Keep us informed.
And hopefully, no side effects. MPT here from the board has no side effects.
But Trobalt is the only drug he takes.

@Mpt has it 5 months, his one has not establish himself in brain, and that is biggest possibility how he can manipulate his tinnitus.
Us in a case of older t, we have it definitely harder, effect that is compared with placebo is as written placebo can achieve max 20%.

Dan I believe it can not be erased as older it is, it can be diminished only :(

@Mpt has it 5 months, his one has not establish himself in brain, and that is biggest possibility how he can manipulate his tinnitus.
Us in a case of older t, we have it definitely harder, effect that is compared with placebo is as written placebo can achieve max 20%.

Dan I believe it can not be erased as older it is, it can be diminished only :(
Is that something you know or just your own thought?

But you said that your right ear was free from T when you took Trobalt. Could that really be a placebo effect? I don't think so.

Do you have the same effect when you take other drugs like Clonazepam or Tegretol?
When the tinnitus started in 2006, one of the first treatment, was Tegretol. It was useful but after 6 month it loose power (taking 200mg/die). I increase at 400 and 600 without results. The same,but longer, is the Rivotril. In 2008 i started to take it but i think that has been loose efficacy. For a long time it helped me to sleep and manage tinnitus, now no more.
Trobalt is a whole other story. Tinnitus, go down objectively. Unfortunately I have side effects such as fatigue, dry mouth, a little light-headed general, but I think it's due to the fact that in the evening I have been taking Rivotril (although I have reduced from 2mg to 1.5mg). I want to come out of Rivotril. I do not need anything more.
I hope to better tolerate the Trobalt and eliminate Rivotril.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now