Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

The hard part is getting a script! I found it easy on the internet. One caveat. I tried Oxcarbazepine and got really ill from it. Blisters from my lips, mouth and throat. T and H got worse...

The hard part is getting a script! I found it easy on the internet.

Unless you've got access to a GC/MS, do not believe that pills from overseas pharmacies on the internet contain what they are supposed to contain. Yes, most counterfeiting is reserved for expensive, very illegal drugs, but there are reputable, wide spread reports of counterfeit antibiotics, SSRIs and antimalarials.

Don't do this. If your PCP won't do it and you are hellbent, find a neurologist with specific experience prescribing it, and show up with the Pittsburg studies and the FAQ from the forum here.

Thanks Linearb. I will take your advise and stay away from the black market. Never know what they could put in their pills i guess. The cheaper they can produce them the more profits they make!

Iam starting to build tolerace to rtg.
1200mg of rtg+ 400mg flupirtine and slight effect to tinnitus also very slight stone effect.
I wouldn't take overlapping drugs. Especially when other burdens your liver.

And if 400mg doesn't "hit" you that doesn't mean that the drug isn't working. The side effects just aren't so strong anymore.

I'm either having some weird urinary symptoms or I have a UTI; I'm discontinuing until I figure that out :-P

@linearb I am taking 100mg TID and do not seem to have any urinary side-effect (yet?).

But according to the leaflet this is a very common side-effect when using the drug though. Maybe you can contact your GP and ask about the best course of action ?

I had a UTI for a short bit once (but not from this drug) and I swear by cranberry juice for helping with that. Ocean Spray brand for me for a few days cleared it up.

Today i got 400mg rtg and after 10 mins i ate yogurt.
After 30 mins i had a very hard stone feeling.
Seems that yogurt doubles the rtg effects.

Hi guys

This morning I discussed with my GB, I explained him the mechanism of tinnitus he was very surprised .he told me that I am a scientist he told me wich drug works for tinnitus .

I told him give me please a medical sheet.

upload_2015-9-22_14-31-33.png

so I took my first pill and as usual just 15 minutes my tinnitus goes down :);)

Hi guys

This morning I discussed with my GB, I explained him the mechanism of tinnitus he was very surprised .he told me that I am a scientist he told me wich drug works for tinnitus .

I told him give me please a medical sheet.

View attachment 7790
so I took my first pill and as usual just 15 minutes my tinnitus goes down :);)
15 mins huh? It barely has even reached your blood circulation at that point?

I guess I have a slow metabolism because it takes me about 1 hour to gain any effect (usually little tiredness or drunk feeling).

I didn't know that yogurt reduces T :cool:

LOL! Drink some grapefruit juice if you want it longer in your system. I don't recommend it of course.

"One tablet with a glass of grapefruit juice can be like taking 5 or 10 tablets with a glass of water"

"A breakfast of grapefruit and marmalade on toast could be lethal for people taking medication" is the headline in the Daily Mail.

The news is based on a review that has highlighted grapefruit-medication interactions that can cause serious side effects.

It is already known that grapefruits contain a group of chemicals, furanocoumarins, which can affect drug metabolism – the amount of time it takes for a drug to be broken down by the body.

The chemical inhibits an enzyme that breaks down drugs, this can cause more 'active' drug to be present in the body than was intended with the given dose. This can then trigger unpleasant, and sometimes serious, side effects.

However, the authors state that there is a general lack of knowledge about this interaction in the healthcare community, despite the fact that an interaction between grapefruit and certain medications was discovered more than 20 years ago.

The number of drugs that could potentially interact with grapefruit to cause serious adverse events has been increasing. The researchers say that there are now 43 types of prescription medication that could cause serious side effects if taken with grapefruit (or grapefruit juice)."

Is it known how many people who tried Trobalt had a permanent changes in T/H?
Apart from @Danny Boy, @locoyeti amd mpt who was cured.
Members user experience is very inconclusive due to lack of information.

I have the same question. I might consider taking this drug (if I can get someone to prescribe it for me) if there's a decent chance that it might permanently reduce my T. But most of the user reports in the other thread seem to indicate that the drug has, at best, a temporary effect.

I have the same question. I might consider taking this drug (if I can get someone to prescribe it for me) if there's a decent chance that it might permanently reduce my T. But most of the user reports in the other thread seem to indicate that the drug has, at best, a temporary effect.

Trobalt is neither potent enough or is not precise enough to cure tinnitus in later stages. We know trobalt can have a permanent effect in the early stages, but in the later stages; inconclusive.

@Danny Boy Were you able to work while taking Trobalt? Or did the drunken/stoned feeling disable you? In addition, what would you say people that have had T for a few months have to lose by giving Trobalt a try?

I wasn't able to work, as soon as I got tinnitus. It disabled me. Yes, trobalt is a strong drug and it can make you terribly sleepy. So really, I would say you could work, but you won't be able to drive, then again, if you had epilepsy that required trobalt you wouldn't be able to drive anyway.

I would say, maybe try it for a short period of time and see if it works for you, it may not cure you, as it differs person to person, but for a short while, why not? But for a prolonged period of time, I would recommend checkups with your doctor and routine eye tests. It's a dangerous drug and it's intended for last line treatment.

Trobalt is neither potent enough or is not precise enough to cure tinnitus in later stages. We know trobalt can have a permanent effect in the early stages, but in the later stages; inconclusive.

Thanks very much for your response. So people on this forum (other than you and the other two people Valeri mentioned in her prior post) have had a significant, permanent reduction in their T as a result of using this drug? I apologize for restating my question, but I'm just trying to get information so I can make a decision.

My T appeared about six months ago and appears to be related to hearing loss. Has the experience with the drug in this forum mainly been for T that is caused by acoustic trauma? Thanks again.

Edited to Add: Danny Boy, nevermind. I see from your last post that I couldn't drive while taking the drug; that would be a non-starter for me. I'm not disabled by T, and it sounds like this drug is, as you said, really a last resort. Thanks again for the info.

Thanks very much for your response. So people on this forum (other than you and the other two people Valeri mentioned in her prior post) have had a significant, permanent reduction in their T as a result of using this drug? I apologize for restating my question, but I'm just trying to get information so I can make a decision.

My T appeared about six months ago and appears to be related to hearing loss. Has the experience with the drug in this forum mainly been for T that is caused by acoustic trauma? Thanks again.

Edited to Add: Danny Boy, nevermind. I see from your last post that I couldn't drive while taking the drug; that would be a non-starter for me. I'm not disabled by T, and it sounds like this drug is, as you said, really a last resort. Thanks again for the info.

No problem....When I first took it, I was sedated for most of the day, people thought I was a zombie...Honestly, driving while on trobalt, that's a deadly combination.

LOL! Drink some grapefruit juice if you want it longer in your system. I don't recommend it of course.

Grapefruit juice doesn't make any difference with RTG, tried it (i actually tried 2-3 different brands of gf juice just to make sure).
It only works with certain benzodiazepines (not all of them) makes them last a bit longer.
But you have to drink quite a lot of it, and I hate grapefruit juice.

A better alternative is cimetidine, however I would be very cautious trying something like that with any drug.

Grapefruit juice doesn't make any difference with RTG, tried it (i actually tried 2-3 different brands of gf juice just to make sure).
It only works with certain benzodiazepines (not all of them) makes them last a bit longer.
But you have to drink quite a lot of it, and I hate grapefruit juice.

A better alternative is cimetidine, however I would be very cautious trying something like that with any drug.

Dangerous testing eh?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now