Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

Yes but he measured it to 85-87. The chances are it could have been somewhere in the low 90's for longer periods of time. You would have to use laboratory grade equipment to make precise measurements to the decibel.
I agree with you and I might have been predisposed by a throat infection 1 week before the trauma so tha
t could have been a factor there were 3 more people in the same table I was the only one affected

I agree with you and I might have been predisposed by a throat infection 1 week before the trauma so tha
t could have been a factor there were 3 more people in the same table I was the only one affected

That's pretty much the story for most of us here. I have never done anything that any of my friends or people I know of haven't done and yet they have no issues what so ever. We are all just shit out of luck!

There's a saying where my parents come from. "It's better to be born without genitals then to be born without luck. Cause if you're lucky they just might grow out."

I have no side effects on 1200mg but also not much improvement in tinnitus:(
Maybe this thing works better for tonal than low frequency (drone) tones.
I'm lowering to 900 and will stop, it's not working. Over two weeks in should give some results one would assume.
What to do after this doesn't look promising at all :(:(:(

Valeri if you dont have any major side effects you should try for at least a couple of months. I am totally guessing now but i think that my tinnutus responded almost inmmediatly because it happen very recently.

I have a question, it might be a stupid one though. Could one speed up the half-life of trobalt with anything?
i think that with a drug as powerful as trobalt and acting in so many places without knowing how its going to afect (it affects some more, some less and some not at all) it would not be a good idea to prolong the half life you would be reaching higher steady state blood concentration if you stick to the three times a day dosage.

I am struggeling with my daily schedule, that is why i asked. Not sure how to plan three ingestions daily with the risk of being sedated for an hour or so.

Mornings and evenings are no problem but a dose in the afternoon might give me some trouble with picking a kid up at school and taking care of him untill my partner comes home from work..

Untill i have figured this out i will have ten boxes of trobalt staring at me from the cupboard...

In my personal opinion I would be very carefull in trying this "aspirin approach".

This drug is not something to take lightly and/or take when you feel like it, I did it a couple of times and my t became alot worse for 3-4 days after taking 200mg before I went to sleep , now 3 weeks later it has subsided but it still is louder than before , so try at your own risk.

My GP said it is dangerous and it can cause a rebound effect as in my case.

Had your t returned to previous levels or it's still louder than before Trobalt?

*sigh*

I've been quietly saying all along that anything which can pharmacologically impact tinnitus, has the potential to make it worse. We have a number of people who believe that relatively short use of Trobalt caused long-term or permanent changes in their T. If this is the case, it would be foolish to not assume that Trobalt has the potential to cause permanent or long term increases in T.

I'd hate to really be proven right about this, but ffs please be careful people. Until we have long-term, large sample size, controlled blinded studies assessing how various Trobalt protocols affect tinnitus, we cannot even speculate about how a given Trobalt protocol might affect people's T.

I don't think it's "strange" at all that some people might have severe, protracted adverse reactions to Trobalt. I think that's exactly what one would expect based on a careful analysis of the available data to date.

@valeri, if I had to guess, given your duration of use and dose, whatever changes you're experiencing, if they are indeed related to Trobalt, are likely to reverse over some period of time. I hope it's sooner than later. FWIW, the day after the first day I took trobalt, I had very bizarre, reactive, metallic tinnitus; it didn't change my baseline.

Has anyone had permanent worsening of t while trying to tapper down or upon stoping?
All I can say is that with a drug such as Trobalt you need to taper down slowly. Real slow. What "real slow is" is something that might best be discussed with a neurologist. In my case, I will be doing it at my own discretion. However, I have last week as a side-note discussed it informally with one of the researchers I normally correspond with (my primary contact). The topic come up for other reasons. And so the above is not just invented information.

In addition, I don't understand why you are tapering down. You need to give it time (unless you have intolerable side-effects). In my case, I am beginning to perhaps see the first signs of an improvement: but don't start opening the champagne bottles yet, please.

Lastly, I am amazed at how many folks on this board who are criticizing Trobalt and mentioning side-effects ad nauseam. I have paid attention to the fact that a number of members here are not taking Trobalt "cleanly" (i.e. using other medication not to mention illegal substances) and hence I cannot help but wonder if those same folks are having side-effects not attributable to Trobalt. I am not so sure that a cocktail of weed, SSRI, alcohol, and Trobalt is such a good idea. Personally, I have had surprisingly few side-effects and I am at maximum dosage since 3 weeks.

This thread is seriously beginning to annoy me along with the amateurism displayed in some cases.

attheedgeofscience
12/JAN/2016.

All I can say is that with a drug such as Trobalt you need to taper down slowly. Real slow. What "real slow is" is something that might best be discussed with a neurologist. In my case, I will be doing it at my own discretion. However, I have last week as a side-note discussed it informally with one of the researchers I normally correspond with (my primary contact). The topic come up for other reasons. And so the above is not just invented information.

In addition, I don't understand why you are tapering down. You need to give it time (unless you have intolerable side-effects). In my case, I am beginning to perhaps see the first signs of an improvement: but don't start opening the champagne bottles yet, please.

Lastly, I am amazed at how many folks on this board who are criticizing Trobalt and mentioning side-effects ad nauseam. I have paid attention to the fact that a number of members here are not taking Trobalt "cleanly" (i.e. using other medication not to mention illegal substances) and hence I cannot help but wonder if those same folks are having side-effects not attributable to Trobalt. I am not so sure that a cocktail of weed, SSRI, alcohol, and Trobalt is such a good idea. Personally, I have had surprisingly few side-effects and I am at maximum dosage since 3 weeks.

This thread is seriously beginning to annoy me along with the amateurism displayed in some cases.

attheedgeofscience
12/JAN/2016.

Only the first week I could tell some difference, nothing to rave about but it seems that t was somehow "compressed".
After I had that silent day it all started to go down hill, spikes and usual crap.
And I was on 1200.
Now trying to go off it and the noise is out of this world.

After I had that silent day it all started to go down hill, spikes and usual crap.
I have also had not so good days during the first stage of the "experiment". But now after about 3-4 weeks, it seems to be heading in the right direction: head noise seems to be gone; right side tinnitus seems to be more or less gone, left side tinnitus (since 2013) is still there, but not an "eeee" tone anymore (I think). But again... don't start to open the champagne bottles yet.

Anyway: I do not wish to start opening a dialogue on what to do (or what not to do). We are all a bunch of guinea pigs and the sad truth is that neither we, nor the more learned among us (i.e researchers), really have any idea about the outcome of what we are doing.

I have also had not so good days during the first stage of the "experiment". But now after about 3-4 weeks, it seems to be heading in the right direction: head noise seems to be gone; right side tinnitus seems to be more or less gone, left side tinnitus (since 2013) is still there, but not an "eeee" tone anymore (I think). But again... don't start to open the champagne bottles yet.

Anyway: I do not wish to start opening a dialogue on what to do (or what not to do). We are all a bunch of guinea pigs and the sad truth is that neither we, nor the more learned among us (i.e researchers), really have any idea about the outcome of what we are doing.
what is your dosage ?

I completly agree with you its has to be taken at least for two to three months. Although i saw changes in my first week i also had a fairly recent acoustic trauma (i started taking it about 6 months after). I was up to 1100 mg per day with no combination of drugs just trobalt and i would had stay there if not for the weird eye flashes and the apperance of floaters (first episode third month). Even then i kept taking for four more weeks because the floaters did not bother that much, but a second episode happen of flashes so i decided to quit. My tinnitus when from 7 to 3 in four months and not only that my outlook on life changed completly while on it. I can only concurr with you, taper up slowly, keep at it at least for thee to four months and if you can taper down slowly (in my case i stop cold turkey because i was afraid for my eyes and did not get any significant spikes or rebound). One final comment visual accuity is fine same as before trobalt, flashes and linear patterns dissapear after two weeks and i have no retinal detachment or coloration in my retina. Floaters i still see against bright backgroun but even those i am starting to see less and less. All this eyes side effects i think are a result of the kv7 subunit that affect the eyes, how are neurons in the retina fire. Also i had hiperactive bladder before trobalt (every time i went to cinema for example i had to go pee three times in a two hour movie) while on trobalt that was also gone and this moment has not come back. As attheedgeofscience said we all are guinea pigs that can either advocate for trobalt or tell anyone not to try it. It has to be your own choice taking to account everything that is posted good or bad. I which that apart from the conclusions some one made a sore poll or questionary about trobalt like they did for AM 101. It will be helpful for newbies. Thanks again atthedgeofscience for finally posting your experience i will compare myself almost exactly to your experience but with the difference that i had a substantial improvment in the first week *early onset of tinnitus maybe* and did suffer apparently not permanent eye effects that got me scare enough to leave the drug.

are you going to cinema without protections ? before trobalt also ?
yes i did. Before the acoustic trauma i always went to cinemas without protection with no problems. Sometimes i did go out and told the general manager to lower the volume and usually they did. After the acoustic trauma i always were plugs to any high volume situation (30 db protection) and always have a pair in my pocket for any situation. I am actually waiting for those doppler labs active earplugs so i can were them every day. Right now i am 1 in my left and probably 1 or 2 in the right ear. It used to be a hard and consistent 7 to 8 before trobalt.

@gintas Before the acoustic trauma i always went to cinemas without protection with no problems. Sometimes i did go out and told the general manager to lower the volume and usually they did. After the acoustic trauma i always were plugs to any high volume situation (30 db protection) and always have a pair in my pocket for any situation. I am actually waiting for those doppler labs active earplugs so i can were them every day. Right now i am 1 in my left and probably 1 or 2 in the right ear. It used to be a hard and consistent 7 to 8 before trobalt.[/QUOTE]

I am slightly concerned about this in regards to Trobalt.

"Moreover, a form of dominant deafness arises from impaired function of KCNQ4
(Kharkovets et al., 2000), so nonspecific opening of these channels may have unwanted side effects on hearing"

Seems that KCNQ4 is the same modulator that causes urinary retention .
Sf0034 however does not have this modulator.

Extremely concerned about losing any more hearing.

I am not so sure that a cocktail of weed, SSRI, alcohol, and Trobalt is such a good idea. Personally, I have had surprisingly few side-effects and I am at maximum dosage since 3 weeks.
This much, we certainly agree on! However in my case, I do not take any other medications, did not consume any quantity of alcohol, and still ran into distressing urinary symptoms very quickly and at a low dose. That's regrettable, because I remain curious whether sustaining a higher dose for a longer period of time would have led to any longer-term reduction in tinnitus.

@gintas Before the acoustic trauma i always went to cinemas without protection with no problems. Sometimes i did go out and told the general manager to lower the volume and usually they did. After the acoustic trauma i always were plugs to any high volume situation (30 db protection) and always have a pair in my pocket for any situation. I am actually waiting for those doppler labs active earplugs so i can were them every day. Right now i am 1 in my left and probably 1 or 2 in the right ear. It used to be a hard and consistent 7 to 8 before trobalt.
[/QUOTE]
thanks ! before T i also went to cinemas without a protections :) but not now . so i asked for did you go now when you got T to cinemas without a protections ? i mean did Trobalt made it possible

thanks ! before T i also went to cinemas without a protections :) but not now . so i asked for did you go now when you got T to cinemas without a protections ? i mean did Trobalt made it possible
No my friend i learned my lesson from now on earplugs on, on any situation that sound is high like in a movie theater. I even use them at church and i am looking at the possibility of getting those doppler labs buds ($375) so i can use them constantly. You never know when a shot maybe fire or a fire alarm goes haywire or a huge motorcycle passes by. I promise myself that i would never go into any high volume risky situation with out them on. I went to a Katty Perry concert used my plugs and although it sounded a little bit muffled i enjoy none the less without risking any more damage. In conclusion even after trobalt lower my tinnitus considerably i will always use my earplugs.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now