• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

South Korean Clinic Treatment (Dr. Minbo Shim)

Hmmm....can one restore hearing loss? If yes, is tinnitus reduced? Iam trying to get funds together, I want to go. What other hope is there? I want to go end of February, early March. If I can get the funds, I will have low expectations cause my ears are shot, but you never know. Thanks everyone for your posts, still have hope even after talking to Dr. Heller, ...irrational? Eddie A, John Adams research and others, makes it very difficult for me to be dismisssive.

I feel the most important question now for us is this: Does restoring hearing stop tinnitus?
If we go by what Shim says, then yes. He has shown several cases of improvement. If this formula regenerates haircells, then it will probably nurture any of the other structures as well.

@JohnAdams,

You have H, right? @Daniel Lion, do you have H? Considering that LLLT seems to aid H more than the other symptoms, I would speculate that PRP would be similar. Repairing seems much more likely than regrowing. I think I recall JohnAdams having terrible ears with all symptoms.

If you guys didn't watch the PRP video that I posted from the Dermatologist, he said that the hype on PRP is not merited for anything except wound healing. He said that a wound that should take weeks to heal could be mended in only 3 days time with PRP. If this translates to hair cells, PRP should really be able to help some of us. The Dermo utilizes a face mask to drench the skin in PRP, and he asserts that no other delivery method seems to work well; Shim's viscous recipe is a similar concept to this.

As an afterthought, after watching this Dermo video, it is making sense to me that Shim would have patients stay for multiple weeks and administer multiple injections. If you have a substantial wound, or maybe a delicate wound that is difficult to access, I imagine that it would take multiple sessions to attempt to heal it.

Again, I doubt that audiograms will change much; but I do imagine that H, inflammation, ear fullness, pain, and perhaps some T could be reduced; and also that the hair cells could be stabilized enough to prevent further damage so that some of us could come out of our ear muffs more often.

Nicely said, distilled with logic and realistic expectations. I have H and it hurts. I feel as if my ears, especially right, that got all messed up and damaged is an open wound, that is inflamed and needs healing, i feel certain of that. My T is oppressive. A degree of relief would be appreciated, and some kind of healing, would put me and many others in a better place possibly to reep the benefits of neuromod or some other device. I am learning something new everyday,week, month , that before this life changing condition hit I had no idea about. Appreciate your input Humpty, and everyone here.

@JohnAdams,

You have H, right? @Daniel Lion, do you have H? Considering that LLLT seems to aid H more than the other symptoms, I would speculate that PRP would be similar. Repairing seems much more likely than regrowing. I think I recall JohnAdams having terrible ears with all symptoms.

If you guys didn't watch the PRP video that I posted from the Dermatologist, he said that the hype on PRP is not merited for anything except wound healing. He said that a wound that should take weeks to heal could be mended in only 3 days time with PRP. If this translates to hair cells, PRP should really be able to help some of us. The Dermo utilizes a face mask to drench the skin in PRP, and he asserts that no other delivery method seems to work well; Shim's viscous recipe is a similar concept to this.
I had moderate tinnitus starting out, then I had additional noise exposures that turned my high pitch tinnitus into hyperacusis and cricket sounds. That has subsided now I have basically moderate tinnitus now. The high pitch part is like a dog whistle/tiny power drill and drives me friggen nuts.

Japanese study within 29 days of SSHL , ..that is significant, for the majority of us who don't meet that criteria
That was just the recruitment criteria, as far as I know they have not tried this on chronic hearing loss, unless you accept Dr. Minbo's data then it does work. Fact is, theres no way to ascribe the hearing recovery associated with growth factors to hair cell regeneration unless you dissect the human and check the hair cells.

Quick question:

Four kinds of bodily tissue are epithelial, connective, muscular, and nervous; do the inner ear cilia fall under the nervous category? If so, and we have evidence that the PRP heals nerves, shouldn't we be fairly confident that it should help our ailments? Also, if PRP heals nerves, do we understand why or how it does?

Quick question:

Four kinds of bodily tissue are epithelial, connective, muscular, and nervous; do the inner ear cilia fall under the nervous category? If so, and we have evidence that the PRP heals nerves, shouldn't we be fairly confident that it should help our ailments? Also, if PRP heals nerves, do we understand why or how it does?
they are sensory neurons.

Desperation I feel is making us blind, " we have patients coming to our clinic from all over the world"',the doctor said. Really? Lots of big statements, dubious. Dr. Heller was being a scientist and dismissive. If you read back through this thred There are so many red flags we avoid looking at or find way around. It's the words, " I have breakthrough technology, we have discovered a technique to restore hearing" that's the jist of it, paraphrasing not quoting. Sorry. That statement is what pulls are heartstrings. Could it be here in 2018, in Korea. Prp is extremely dubious and under researched, atleast from what I have been reading, sorry to be a cynic. Artemis, JA, Humpty, .all concerned,. I hope you ask good questions, Iam sure you will, and I hope he is patient and not dodgy. He could become rich very quickly off this forum alone, or richer, cause I assume he's making good coin,...being transparent would help. I am still clinging and open, just reading this thred from the beginning and it feels like desperation is blinding the patients, which tends to be the norm for sc centers and prp treatments. Desperation trumps my rational self, wait and see, ..we will know. sorry for being a downer. Frustrated with my H and T, struggling these days, blah.....ok

Last edited:
Just remember we arent just going off what he has said. We have also found several peer reviewed studies that suggest what he is doing is in fact effective.
Desperation may make some blind but so can cynicism.
I also find his statement believable due to the heavy medical tourism in SK and his evidential history with Russian patients. He has been operating for enough years to where that could happen, perhaps even if he wasn't advertising his hearing loss treatment.

@JohnAdams, You manage to gain access to that PRP paper?

good job. I checked and I can only get the full text via library loan.
should I get?

I am looking through the MSC paper you posted, I haven't finished it yet, but it looks very interesting. They are finding that the MSCs can differentiate in to neurons, which is contrary to what most believe.

"By a combination of growth factor stimulation and expression of the transcription factor, Math1, that is required for hair cell formation in the inner ear, we show here that MSCs derived from bone marrow can be induced to differentiate into hair cells."

Utilizing growth factors as well, the same as PRP. This is seeming very similar to Shim.

@JohnAdams, You manage to gain access to that PRP paper?

I am looking through the MSC paper you posted, I haven't finished it yet, but it looks very interesting. They are finding that the MSCs can differentiate in to neurons, which is contrary to what most believe.

"By a combination of growth factor stimulation and expression of the transcription factor, Math1, that is required for hair cell formation in the inner ear, we show here that MSCs derived from bone marrow can be induced to differentiate into hair cells."

Utilizing growth factors as well, the same as PRP. This is seeming very similar to Shim.
Libraries are closed on Christmas but I will get it asap.

Yeah those papers collectively offer more evidence that this is a viable cure than anything else period.

"Conclusion. Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) have the ability to differentiate into hair cells, and this method of culturing MSCs provides a useful tool for studies on mammalian cochlear hair cell regeneration."

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/00016489.2011.603135

I'm not sure if you caught this:

Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 4.26.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 4.26.42 PM.png

This doesn't sway me against MSCs, but for that specific link, it seems that it was accidentally stated that they accomplished a bit more than they actually did.

Possible, still feels like we are bending to accomadate statements. I remain open, peer review studies..? Perhaps after a trauma, within 29 days. If Russians had been, there would be testimonials, evidence , surely. A patent, that is really surplufulous, .....marketing, legitimacy. Evidential history with Russian patients? Going to market medical tourism does not count as evidential history....let's be cool.. grounded. Iam suffering , bad. I like the idea of the anti inflammatory aspect and some potential healing of existing structures. Much is over my head , all of it frankly. Iam not an ENT or bio engineer..etc. fx322 ? What light can fx322 shed on this treatment. .? Are we getting closer? I'd be happy with modest benefits, ...I remain super hopeful and still want 2 go..just hearing little voices as I read and research. I lack funds and am trying to drum some up. If i was cashed up, I would go with low expectations, like a sc treatment , it can't hurt. Eddie A is testimony to that. Take care all. Iam around, and will be optomistic and hopeful. Sorry , hadn't read your posts, spacing out. Does Shim use msc's from bone marrow? This would seem a very important question for Shim.

Last edited:

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now