• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Taurine and Tinnitus

Stuff like 2C-E and 25i-NBOME which are a hell of a lot more potent and ridiculous than phenibut, didn't get banned until some kids actually showed up in the morgue. We live in a weird era; it's much easier to develop and market new psychoactive compounds than it is to test or regulate them.

I've never heard of those before. Then again, I really don't want to...

What do you suggest for tinnitus, in terms of GABA drugs/supplements?
Nothing, because for me all that stuff just got in the way of the path towards feeling better. Everyone has to chart their own course through this, I think. At this point I'm not comfortable rattling off which GABAergics did or didn't temporarily reduce my tinnitus, because I think that stuff all set me back from healing.

After try 8 differents supplements, I got some improvement in my high-pitched idiopathic T with 2-3g of taurine everyday. My T was reduced 10-20% after the day 3. Not sure if it was because of the Taurine, but I think it deserves a try.

I'll throw some taurine into my smoothie every now and then, but that's just because I bought a big bag of it awhile back and have it on hand. It doesn't seem to do much for me to be honest.

Well the bottle of 500 mg say "Take 1 pill". I finished a bottle taking per day 3 g and nothing bad happened. I got another one :rockingbanana:

Took Taurine on the recommendation of a friend. Wish I hadn't. Be very careful with some of these supplements if you are also on anti depressant or anti anxiety meds such as benzos. They interact. Now, as a result, I have had a new high pitched squeal for days after just taking 1,500mg Taurine over 2 days. Talk to a good doctor or pharmacist first!!!

Hi there!

I'm Eduardo from Brazil, I have T for long time (but I habituating with it and having a relatively normal life), in my case I don't have significant hearing loss (Audiometry Test normal for my age), my T comes from excessive exposure to noise for a long time (Walkman Earphones, Rock N'roll band)

Unfortunately three weeks ago my T are LOUDER (much louder) :( (I'm going through a great anxiety period, perhaps this is a trigger for T)

I'm using Alprazolam (0.5mg / one dosage only, for sleep, one week ago), I wanted to try to use Taurine (I believe that will work very well for my case) , but now, I'M AFRAID! :(

You had improvements ?

some more news

folks

Thanks so much

Regards

Eduardo Neves - Brazil

Hi there!

I'm Eduardo from Brazil, I have T for long time (but I habituating with it and having a relatively normal life), in my case I don't have significant hearing loss (Audiometry Test normal for my age), my T comes from excessive exposure to noise for a long time (Walkman Earphones, Rock N'roll band)

Unfortunately three weeks ago my T are LOUDER (much louder) :( (I'm going through a great anxiety period, perhaps this is a trigger for T)

I'm using Alprazolam (0.5mg / one dosage only, for sleep, one week ago), I wanted to try to use Taurine (I believe that will work very well for my case) , but now, I'M AFRAID! :(

You had improvements ?

some more news

folks

Thanks so much

Regards

Eduardo Neves - Brazil

Hi Eduardo,
It is difficult to advise you. We are all so different when it comes to meds/supplements - react in different ways. I do know when it comes to the brain, it is best not to mix too much stuff. Is there a doctor you can speak to about it?
Yes, my t went back to baseline. Stress and lack of sleep are indeed triggers. But usually once this is repaired, t can return to baseline. Wishing you the best.

Hi Eduardo,
It is difficult to advise you. We are all so different when it comes to meds/supplements - react in different ways. I do know when it comes to the brain, it is best not to mix too much stuff. Is there a doctor you can speak to about it?
Yes, my t went back to baseline. Stress and lack of sleep are indeed triggers. But usually once this is repaired, t can return to baseline. Wishing you the best.

Hi Lisa88

Thanks so much for your reply :)

I get a doctor consultation only for the day 15 May 2016

But I'll ask about it.

I have T +- 15 years, only 2 crisis in this period, now is the worst :cry:

My brain activity is very intense, and I'm a very anxious person.

Having permission from my doctor will try Taurine and post the results here.

Thnks so much folks

Hi Lisa88

But I'll ask about it.

Thnks so much folks

That's good that you now know after your first crisis, t went back to baseline. So there is every chance that will happen again. Some of the best stuff I have tried in the sleep for me has been melatonin (natural supplement).
Hope this helps. But very good idea to talk to your doctor about it all.

Hi Lisa88

But I'll ask about it.

Thnks so much folks

Sorry, just to add, try not to monitor your t. Keep yourself busy. Or say to yourself you just don't care, even if you don't mean it. Sounds strange, but training your brain away is possible, and it works. T fades into the background again.

I'm up to 15-20 grams per day of this stuff. As far as I can tell there are no adverse effects. It seems to be doing good things for my skin.

There are only a handful of studies looking at doses that high in humans, so, certainly don't assume that my reaction or lack thereof is typical.

I'm up to 15-20 grams per day of this stuff. As far as I can tell there are no adverse effects. It seems to be doing good things for my skin.

There are only a handful of studies looking at doses that high in humans, so, certainly don't assume that my reaction or lack thereof is typical.

Doesn't sound like it does anything for tinnitus, though.
Does it affect your sleep?

That's good that you now know after your first crisis, t went back to baseline. So there is every chance that will happen again. Some of the best stuff I have tried in the sleep for me has been melatonin (natural supplement).
Hope this helps. But very good idea to talk to your doctor about it all.

Hi Lisa88

I'm happy for your reply :)

Yes, I'm making it. I'm using Alprazolam (0.5mg afternoon) and 2 pill (3mg each) Melatonin for sleep. And I'd one week of sleep quality. 8 hour average, without side effects (I wake up 2 times per night, but I fall again in sleep very quick).

I do:

- I cut sugar (very important)
- I cut caffeine (only morning for wake up!)
- I'm doing walking in a Garden Park (here in my neighborhood 6am)

I'm still with a loud T, but is not 100% of the time, It's decreasing the noisy perception every day (time perception was decreasing).

Lisa, I want to ask u. Do you use Clonazepan? which mg?, everyday? 1 dosage per day?, I will ask my doctor the Taurine interactions with clonazepam and later post here.

Thank you so much for your attettion.

All the best for u and us :)

Eduardo

Hi Lisa88

I'm happy for your reply :)

Yes, I'm making it. I'm using Alprazolam (0.5mg afternoon) and 2 pill (3mg each) Melatonin for sleep. And I'd one week of sleep quality. 8 hour average, without side effects (I wake up 2 times per night, but I fall again in sleep very quick).

I do:

- I cut sugar (very important)
- I cut caffeine (only morning for wake up!)
- I'm doing walking in a Garden Park (here in my neighborhood 6am)

I'm still with a loud T, but is not 100% of the time, It's decreasing the noisy perception every day (time perception was decreasing).

Lisa, I want to ask u. Do you use Clonazepan? which mg?, everyday? 1 dosage per day?, I will ask my doctor the Taurine interactions with clonazepam and later post here.

Thank you so much for your attettion.

All the best for u and us :)

Eduardo

I began using Ativan a few months after t started. Took me a long time to taper off. Probably should have used the more natural route, as benzo withdrawal can cause t to worsen.
But the trick is not to monitor it. Keep distracted. Go for walks, great. Look at posts in the Back to Silence thread in Success Stories on this forum.

Took Taurine on the recommendation of a friend. Wish I hadn't. Be very careful with some of these supplements if you are also on anti depressant or anti anxiety meds such as benzos. They interact. Now, as a result, I have had a new high pitched squeal for days after just taking 1,500mg Taurine over 2 days. Talk to a good doctor or pharmacist first!!!

Does anybody made similar experiences? I take antidepressants since a few years and now I started with taurine (1000mg twice a day) and now it seems to me my T gets louder, but not really sure. I'm now a bit afraid of continuing it.

First time poster and just like everyone else, I'm also desperate to escape this sleep robbing, life destroying nightmare called tinnitus.
Its been almost 2 months for me and using process of elimination, the most likely cause of my T is acoustic trauma.
I feel that it is important to know the cause, because I feel that lot of T treatments that are floating around on the net are cause specific...for example Ginko Biloba will likely do nothing for someone who's T was caused by acoustic trauma, but might work if caused by poor circulation.
Anyway, back to my original point.

I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of the Taurine study involving lab rats and I remember coming across some old threads but for some reason everyone seemed to miss one very important thing:

"Three main effects were obtained with supplemental dietary taurine: (1) A significant, and reversible, tinnitus therapeutic effect was evident at the high dose level (4 mg/ml, or 294 mg/kg/da), but not the low dose level (1 mg/ml, or 67 mg/kg/da). (2) At the low dose, taurine may have exacerbated high-frequency components of the tinnitus. (3) Auditory discrimination performance was enhanced in normal-hearing rats in a dose-dependent manner".

I'm not a scientist and sometimes these things are hard to read but if I'm not mistaking, Taurine at a low dose (the type of dose that was mainly discussed here) can actually make the T worse as far as the high frequencies are concerned?
Now if my rough calculations are correct, this would mean in order to achieve the same effect per kilogram, a 200lbs individual would have to down something like 27 grams of Taurine per day, in order to replicate this rat study.
Most therapeutic doses on most of the Taurine supplements out there are about 3 grams per day.

My question is, has anyone actually tried to replicate this study using the "per kilogram" formula indicated in the high dosage group, which was able to reverse the T in rats?

First time poster and just like everyone else, I'm also desperate to escape this sleep robbing, life destroying nightmare called tinnitus.
Its been almost 2 months for me and using process of elimination, the most likely cause of my T is acoustic trauma.
I feel that it is important to know the cause, because I feel that lot of T treatments that are floating around on the net are cause specific...for example Ginko Biloba will likely do nothing for someone who's T was caused by acoustic trauma, but might work if caused by poor circulation.
Anyway, back to my original point.

I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of the Taurine study involving lab rats and I remember coming across some old threads but for some reason everyone seemed to miss one very important thing:

"Three main effects were obtained with supplemental dietary taurine: (1) A significant, and reversible, tinnitus therapeutic effect was evident at the high dose level (4 mg/ml, or 294 mg/kg/da), but not the low dose level (1 mg/ml, or 67 mg/kg/da). (2) At the low dose, taurine may have exacerbated high-frequency components of the tinnitus. (3) Auditory discrimination performance was enhanced in normal-hearing rats in a dose-dependent manner".

I'm not a scientist and sometimes these things are hard to read but if I'm not mistaking, Taurine at a low dose (the type of dose that was mainly discussed here) can actually make the T worse as far as the high frequencies are concerned?
Now if my rough calculations are correct, this would mean in order to achieve the same effect per kilogram, a 200lbs individual would have to down something like 27 grams of Taurine per day, in order to replicate this rat study.
Most therapeutic doses on most of the Taurine supplements out there are about 3 grams per day.

My question is, has anyone actually tried to replicate this study using the "per kilogram" formula indicated in the high dosage group, which was able to reverse the T in rats?

Bumping because I'm very interested myself. I have 1000mg taurine supplements right now and not sure how many to take a day.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now