Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

Insomnia i much worse than T.
Is the worst side effect of T. You can go crazy if you have severe insomnia.

Sorry. I'm back on trobalt for sleep reasons. It's really addictive sadly.
@Danny Boy is it physically addictive or psychologically addictive? What would you do to overcome your insomnia if you didn't have access to Trobalt?

I admire Danny Boy. I understand his condition as it is similar to mine.
I have a litany of problems. The worst and the first was insomnia. I endured two months without sleep.
I walked the streets for hours I couldnt sleep. Sleep or the lack of leads to all the other problems.
The tinnitus came after the insomnia. Im taking lorazapam and olanzapine. I dont know what I would do without it. I pray everyday that the insomnia goes away...
Heck if we had a cure today I really wonder how people such as Danny and myself would do as we are taking other meds. I still would love to have that opportunity. Tinnitus sucks so does insomnia.

@Danny Boy is it physically addictive or psychologically addictive? What would you do to overcome your insomnia if you didn't have access to Trobalt?

It's physically addictive...And I don't know? I have like a years supply of trobalt. Also, I will try and overcome this, this is a dangerous drug.

Haha. If only my doctor would give me something, alas he won't.
Prescription free that works
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(herb)

Its 100% safe for up to one month. Its natural herb with action similiar to benzopiadine but its more harmless if you dont take it for prolonged time and take a break after month (with short taper) i pop 550mg and sleep like a baby. Minimal ammount that has sedative effect is 400mg maximal is 1200mg.

Try it. I take it occasionally for 3 years and no tinnitus worsening from it. Safer than trobalt.

Prescription free that works
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(herb)

Its 100% safe for up to one month. Its natural herb with action similiar to benzopiadine but its more harmless if you dont take it for prolonged time and take a break after month (with short taper) i pop 550mg and sleep like a baby. Minimal ammount that has sedative effect is 400mg maximal is 1200mg.

Try it. I take it occasionally for 3 years and no tinnitus worsening from it. Safer than trobalt.

Trust me, I took that in addition to passion flower, lemon balm and hops. Didn't work sadly. Thanks anyway!

Sorry. I'm back on trobalt for sleep reasons. It's really addictive sadly.
Addictions are meant to break, not to sustain .. use it for what you intended .. .to lower T, if T is lowered, let it go.

you won`t be the first to go through withdrawls and make it at the other side of the tunnel ... it`s all your choice ...

Addictions are meant to break, not to sustain .. use it for what you intended .. .to lower T, if T is lowered, let it go.

you won`t be the first to go through withdrawls and make it at the other side of the tunnel ... it`s all your choice ...

Well, I will try to break it. That's for sure.

@Danny Boy I had a lot of problems sleeping for the first 8 months. One particularly bad night, I remembered that the GABA I had in my cabinet was highly rated by a lot of Amazon reviewers as being very helpful for insomnia. I had been taking it during the day and didn't notice improvement, but that night I got out of bed, took one, and within 15 minutes was asleep. For the first couple months I would still awaken during the night, and would keep a glass of water and a GABA pill on the nightstand to take another dose. Very effective, and now I pretty much sleep through every night. It doesn't improve my tinnitus but it makes me feel better to get unbroken sleep, and people have stopped telling me that I "look tired."

I take 500 mg GABA every night along with a niacin supplement. I know that supposedly GABA doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, but it works pretty well for me. I honestly believe it works better at night than during the day, because the brain activity is slower at night and more receptive to relaxants.

Here's the GABA supp on Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capsules-500mg-Powerful-Anti-Anxiety-Supplement/dp/B00U4304BI/

Here are the reviews for the GABA supp that I take: http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Gaba-500mg-Capsules/dp/B001DB6LPS/

From the website www.examine.com: Caution. GABA is a chief neurotransmitter in the brain and may adversely react with any neurally active prescription medication or anti-depressants.

@Danny Boy I had a lot of problems sleeping for the first 8 months. One particularly bad night, I remembered that the GABA I had in my cabinet was highly rated by a lot of Amazon reviewers as being very helpful for insomnia. I had been taking it during the day and didn't notice improvement, but that night I got out of bed, took one, and within 15 minutes was asleep. For the first couple months I would still awaken during the night, and would keep a glass of water and a GABA pill on the nightstand to take another dose. Very effective, and now I pretty much sleep through every night. It doesn't improve my tinnitus but it makes me feel better to get unbroken sleep, and people have stopped telling me that I "look tired."

I take 500 mg GABA every night along with a niacin supplement. I know that supposedly GABA doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, but it works pretty well for me. I honestly believe it works better at night than during the day, because the brain activity is slower at night and more receptive to relaxants.

Here's the GABA supp on Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capsules-500mg-Powerful-Anti-Anxiety-Supplement/dp/B00U4304BI/

Here are the reviews for the GABA supp that I take: http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Gaba-500mg-Capsules/dp/B001DB6LPS/

From the website www.examine.com: Caution. GABA is a chief neurotransmitter in the brain and may adversely react with any neurally active prescription medication or anti-depressants.

GABA supplements are useless as they can't pass the blood brain barrier.

Woke up with catastrophic T today (3-4 high pitched oscillating tones).
Decided taking another 100 mg Trobalt. I don't know if it does something, because I also took a long shower and tried concentrating on my work. Also listening to soothing sounds with Aire Freshener.
4 hours later I have "only" my buzzing head, so it changed.
My normal head T is difficult enough to handle, but if the other tones join in, this is a nightmare.
I have the impression Trobalt does something, but I don't know.
100 mg is probably much too low.
Let's hope AUT00063 and SF00034 will do the magic for us.

Woke up with catastrophic T today (3-4 high pitched oscillating tones).
Decided taking another 100 mg Trobalt. I don't know if it does something, because I also took a long shower and tried concentrating on my work. Also listening to soothing sounds with Aire Freshener.
4 hours later I have "only" my buzzing head, so it changed.
My normal head T is difficult enough to handle, but if the other tones join in, this is a nightmare.
I have the impression Trobalt does something, but I don't know.
100 mg is probably much too low.
Let's hope AUT00063 and SF00034 will do the magic for us.

400mg enough said lol

yeah is it so hard to try 400mg, if the low dose is ok.....Trobalt isnt aspirin, u cant take it as needed, wtf.

I just don't get it? You need to follow the recommend dosage and the optimum recommend dosage is 400mg. I take 400mg and my tinnitus is low. 100 won't do bugger all, sadly.

I just don't get it? You need to follow the recommend dosage and the optimum recommend dosage is 400mg. I take 400mg and my tinnitus is low. 100 won't do bugger all, sadly.
I dont get it either, people here with catastrophic T, taking little crumbs of trobalt, or none at all.
I mean its ok to test the waters first, but this isnt the way to treat tinnitus.

I dont get it either, people here with catastrophic T, taking little crumbs of trobalt, or none at all.
I mean its ok to test the waters first, but this isnt the way to treat tinnitus.

I listened to the recommended dosage and I'm doing ok tinnitus wise. I keep saying the recommended dose and yet nobody follows it. Very strange. I guess I can see why people are apprehensive though, as it isn't a safe drug...Then again, living with ruinous tinnitus is worse in my opinion.

@dan, @Danny Boy
Yes, 100 mg does not do much, maybe nothing.
I am talking about nuances, and even they could be imagination.
But I have seen the pictures from the SF00034 thread with the blue lips.
Is it worth having (maybe) low T, but look like Avatar?

@dan, @Danny Boy
Yes, 100 mg does not do much, maybe nothing.
I am talking about nuances, and even they could be imagination.
But I have seen the pictures from the SF00034 thread with the blue lips.

"A spokesperson from GlaxoSmithKline, who developed Trobalt, said: "Patient safety is our top priority and we review the safety of all our medicines on an ongoing basis. This includes the continued monitoring of patients who participate in our clinical trials after a medicine has been approved by regulators. In the case of retigabine (Trobalt), we have seen that after long-term treatment (generally occurring after 2 years of treatment) some of these patients have developed areas of blue-grey discolouration in eye tissues, including the retina, and/or of the nails, lips, and skin."

Nevertheless, it's up to you if you want to take it, but if you are, the dose needs to be upped.

I listened to the recommended dosage and I'm doing ok tinnitus wise. I keep saying the recommended dose and yet nobody follows it. Very strange. I guess I can see why people are apprehensive though, as it isn't a safe drug...Then again, living with ruinous tinnitus is worse in my opinion.
You have a point.
Nobody here has suffered catastrophic consequences from Trobalt, but not so trying to live with catastrophic T !!! 2 people are already gone- and neither has tried Tro.

First of all ur not going to get blue in the first 2 years (high dose). These are epilepsy patients.
Second, yes, I think low T is worth turning blue or black.....read the thread of what would you give to have no T......some people would say being parapalegic.

First of all ur not going to get blue in the first 2 years (high dose). These are epilepsy patients.
Second, yes, I think low T is worth turning blue or black.....read the thread of what would you give to have no T......some people would say being parapalegic.

Even people who have pretty bad tinnitus and are intent to commit suicide don't want to use trobalt. For pete sakes! If you want to die then this is a better solution, surely!?

Yes Dan, I agree.
Without T, I would be maybe natural high for the rest of my life.
And like everyone else, I am re-thinking my options every day.
Unfortunately some have good result with Trobalt, others have the opposite like kidney failure.
And I also know that we need more people to try.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now