War in Ukraine — Megathread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by buttercake, Mar 8, 2022.

1. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      People killing each other in this day and age seems so insane. Senator Rand Paul is against any further funding for Ukraine. It’s all borrowed money and creates more inflation. I’ve read some of the money helps the farmers plant and harvest their grain. That part makes sense.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Holy hell, that's a lot of extremely one-sided opinions lol. Everything you say fits a biased Western narrative. It doesn't matter what a conflict is called, it doesn't matter why it was started. Any conflict is bad, regardless, which is why I believe Zelenskiy delaying negotiations with Russia is ridiculous. Peace negotiations aren't going to change how fast or effectively Russia fortified its defensive. That's ludicrous.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Okay, send more money. I'm Canadian anyways. I hope your plan works.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Lol

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'm sorry you lacked the mental capacity to read further :(

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      • Like Like x 1
    7. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lol. Ironic.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      • Agree Agree x 4
    9. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      The EU as a block is just committing suicide by passing nonsensical legislation like this:

Historic EU deal reached on how to manage sudden rise in asylum seekers | European Union | The Guardian

Everyday the leftist media are reporting on the invasion of Europe by ILLEGAL immigrants and the EU does nothing about it. This is not a matter about re-locating those people. It is a matter of defending our borders and stopping them to come illegally anymore.

Boat carrying record 280 people from west Africa reaches Canaries | Spain | The Guardian

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I have been informed by @Jammer, on the presidential election 2024 thread, that Cornel West, a Progressive, is now going to run as an independent. West is against our involvement in the Ukraine/Russia war. That makes a total of three of Biden's current presidential election opponents who are against his policies in this war: Trump, Kennedy, and West.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi @Luman,

Noam Chomsky, perhaps the granddaddy of progressive thought and left of center thinking, is also critical of the US response to the Ukraine war.

• Like Like x 3
    12. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      What if America pulls out its support of Ukraine?

What then if Ukraine gets overrun and Russia's ambition increases?

What's the next country to be invaded by Russia?

Would America get re-involved then? And if so, would they regret pulling out their support of Ukraine in the first place, with an even bigger problem at hand?

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      That is the slippery slope argument and it is driving western policy at present.

It will in time to come be out of current politicians' hands since administrations will change. The UK Labour Party is, it is fair to say - probably less enthusiastic about funding the war than the conservatives and we have an election next year in May. Trump, if he wins - will probably end USA support and cracks are already appearing in the EU.

So we will get to see if the slippery slope is as slippery as many are arguing in the not too distant future.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We are not the police of the world. If Ukraine wants our weapons, they should pay for them.

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Ukraine gets overrun.
      Russia has zero ambition of conquering neighboring countries (Zelensky got to you).
      Except Eastern Ukraine, none, zero, zilch!

Do you have any idea how hard it is to control a population of millions of people who oppose you?

Israel can hardly control Palestinians since 1948 they are a huge headache for Israel. Imagine occupying Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, etc. Can you imagine what kind of resources that would take? Russia can barely beat Ukraine in the Donbas after over a year of fighting, half of Russian tanks destroyed, etc. I mean just stop and think about it for a second.

Russia is a far cry from the Soviet war machine of 1950. No Russian today is going to support invading Poland, Germany, etc, that is pure madness.

P.S. Any country in Europe except Ukraine is a NATO member, which means article 5, which means nuclear war. That is precisely why Russia is not escalating this conflict beyond its current objectives. Ukraine isn't part of NATO, therefore it's fair game for any country to invade and take their chance with conventional weapons. It's just war games US vs Russia.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      The House In Tarragona Of Ukrainian Journalist Anatoli Sharii Was Attacked With Molotov Cocktails (worldnationnews.com)

It seems Zelensky also wants to silence journalists who are critical of his regime.

News in Spain covered this story today and apparently the house of that Ukrainian journalist has been attacked for denouncing organised crime and drug trafficking in the circle close to Zelensky.

It is very interesting to notice how Ukraine is the most corrupt country in Europe after Russia, and how the same tactics attributed to Putin are used by Zelensky to silence criticism against him or his regime.

In the meantime, the European taxpayers keep shelling out money for Ukraine, supporting corruption and this whole nonsense.

Now that there is war also in Israel we can see the difference between a real war (Israel - circa 8.000 casualties in two weeks) and Ukraine's little skirmishes where our money is being wasted...

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Russia continues attacks but using human wave attacks:
      Ukraine war: Russia executing own retreating soldiers, US says

It's a well used Russian tactic for centuries, throwing bodies (figuratively) at their enemies...

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jan 2021 MRI, Worsened Nov 2021 Vaccine, Oct 2023 Smoke Alar
      Welp, these political threads never end well!

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fearing defeat by a challenger, Biden's puppet Zelensky, president of Ukraine, has canceled the 2024 presidential elections. Ukraine has had marital law since Feb. 2022. He is now the dictator of his country.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    20. Joey72
      Approved

Joey72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, neck arthritis, combat.
      Fun fact, Zelenskyy just got caught buying two yachts worth 75 million with US taxpayer dollars.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Joey72
      Approved

Joey72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right, the US used 9/11 as an excuse to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, thereby destabilizing the entire Middle East. The US murdered over 1 million innocent Iraq civilians. Obama had 8 wars going. Now who’s the real terrorist country.

• Agree Agree x 4
    22. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Not only that, I've received over a dozen viral testing assays from US taxpayers (on their dime!) and they were clandestinely deposited into my mailbox by an unknown person. Couldn't be sure as I've only seen them from behind, but they were apparently wearing a uniform of some kind; could be military or other type of top secret cabal. Very concerning - we should all check YouTube for confirmation and report back.

• Like Like x 1
    23. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Bush and Obama should have faced International Criminal Court. But no, they were spreading their fucking democracy. The latter got Nobel Peace Prize, which was a travesty.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      Well, hoa there one second!

Just a recap of some modern history for you: Dubya invaded Afghanistan because the (in)competent government or chief tribesman refused to hand over Osama bin Laden and his gang. The mistake was in staying there for 20 years pumping in money and promoting gender equality among the tribes. Towards the end phase I was kind of scratching my head when I came across the Gay Liberation flag in full mast hoisted outside the US embassy. That's fine for New York or Amsterdam, but for the most primitive, fundamentalist Muslim nation on the planet? I dunno. Maybe they have to find their own way.

As for the invasion of Iraq, as an avid and diligent reader of newspapers I can state that it was a personal decision of Dubya's. Recall that Saddam Hussein had attempted to bump off Reagan and Bush senior -- and nearly succeeded too, so it was Dubya Bush Junior's decision to call pay-back time on Sadam and kick ass in Iraq.

How do I know this? I read it on the internet. It must be true. I wrote it there myself... :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    25. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree with your assessment of Afghanistan 100%. I think that we should have pattern-bombed the areas in Afghanistan where bin laden and his lowlife followers were suspected to be and allowed professional mercenaries to search him out, as well. It was completely wrong for us to stay there for 20 years.

I am not familiar enough with the Iraq situation, to say much about it.

26. Joey72
      Approved

Joey72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I stand corrected. I was wrong on the report of Zelensky buying 2 yachts and I apologize for that. This does not change the fact that Ukraine is the most corrupt country in Europe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. Joey72
      Approved

Joey72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So the MSN is trumpeting that the Russia has lost 90 % of its army but, on the other hand, Russia is going to take over Europe! Which talking point is it? How is Russia going to do that if their army is gone. The only winners in this proxy war are the defense contractors.

• Agree Agree x 3
    28. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Big takeaway Cliffs Notes: Coalitions of dictatorships are forming. The West, especially Western Europe, has let ist capability to manufacture weapons slip and are playing catch up. Expect a winter offensive from Russia as the grounds freezes but don't expect more conscription from them until after Putin is "reelected." Belarus is quickly losing whatever sovereignty it had and Russia is gaining more influence there.

Russia is taking heavy losses but they outman and outgun the Ukrainians who are having to ration ammunition especially for their US gear for obvious reasons.

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Russki Air Force is such a joke. Like seriously, it really can't be understated how absolutely shocking in every single respect your Air Force has to be, for someone to be able to shoot down your $250 million spy plane. Look up Airborne Early Warning and Control Systems (AWACS) and you’ll understand how laughable it is. You'd practically have to be begging for it to be shot down to get it into a situation where that's even possible. Russian idiocy is the gift that keeps on giving.

Russians and their so-called "hybrid warfare". Stockpiling all those missiles and drones just to hit strategically insignificant random targets, all to impress the useful idiots in the West.
      I bet you thought no one was going to call you out on this, huh?

Read it again:

Russia Has Lost Almost 90% of Its Prewar Army, U.S. Intelligence Says

It’s stating Russia has lost almost 90% of its pre-invasion force. It doesn’t include the ‘partial mobilization’ and conscription that occurred post-invasion. Insane nonetheless. All sacrificial tribute to a megalomaniac, and not revolting about it. Russians really are mindless serfs.

Also, reportedly Russia now has half the prison population that it had before the war. Hence why they’ve stabilized presence in the frontlines without major recruitment. Women prisoners are being forcibly recruited as well, although a minority.
      I'd be absolutely embarrassed to be falling for Ruzzian propaganda and disinformation... it is aimed at Russians after all who are the most brain-dead zombiefied droids on the planet. At least they have an excuse being fed hot garbage 24/7 all their lives, what's your excuse again?

Anyways, I abandoned this train wreck of a thread ages ago, but popping in to witness the ever ongoing disaster here. Still a comedy show of pathetic discourse I see. Lacks even a faint understanding of geopolitics. I’ve seen 3rd-graders put out better discussions and discourse than this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It will be interesting to see Tucker Carlson's interview with Putin tomorrow. We have given Ukraine nearly 200 billion dollars in aid, and Zelinsky wants more, so Americans must have the chance to hear what Putin has to say.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1