Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

I've been reading these forums for awhile now. I have really bad tinnitus, in both ears as a result of the antidepressant Cymbalta. I had a suicide attempt 3 weeks ago due to tinnitus and depression and ended up in a psychiatric hospital. i just couldn't take it anymore. Well they drugged me up on drugs including zoloft and ativan and my tinnitus has gotting even worse. I'm at my wits end.

I've gone to an ENT and my hearing is fine and he doesn't offer much support for Tinnitus. He offered to put me on Amitriptyline but I don't want to touch an antidepressant right now. I decided to email him today about Regtigabine (I'm in the united states) and hopefully he will be willing to prescribe it for me?

I'm scared to take it because of the bad side effects especially the retina changing color. Is there any evidence that this color change actually effects vision?

Because of the bad side effects I only want to take it for around 6 months to be on the safe side. Will the Tinnitus come back if it is cured?

Danny Boy you've been off Regtigbine for how long? Has the Tinnitus come back? What initially caused your Tinnitus?
What's the cause of your tinnitus?

@sonicboom2000 a light three month Retigabine trial will most probably have zero permanent side effects.
The retina issue as well as the smurf effect (certain areas of the skin getting a blue-ish color tone) has been observed after heavy chronic use.
And lets face it, discoloration of the retina is a small price to pay when compared to suicide.

Try to stay away from anti-depressants, some people have reported mood improvement when on them but I believe that few (if any) have reported any improvement for their tinnitus.

Amitriptyline is a better bet than Zoloft though, because its mechanism of action is totally different from SSRIs.
However lots of people have reported a temporary tinnitus improvement from lorazepan (ativan) and other benzodiazepines, so its unfortunate that it didn't work for you.

Hi guys
I took only two pills so it's short to report any results, yesteday Ididn't feel any change on my Tinnitus and any side effect. today my central tinnitus disapeared and the spikes in my left ear is slightly better,(y) I still heard my tinnitus but it seems very very far.It souds this drug work on me but am not sure I have to wait to see more results
I will update you tomorow.:)

Hi guys
I took only two pills so it's short to report any results, yesteday Ididn't feel any change on my Tinnitus and any side effect. today my central tinnitus disapeared and the spikes in my left ear is slightly better,(y) I still heard my tinnitus but it seems very very far.It souds this drug work on me but am not sure I have to wait to see more results
So how much mg have you taken?
100/200/300 pills?

Hi guys

Other people have reported exactly this. The ''distancing'' of tinnitus. Must be a good thing right?

Anyways thanks for the update.

that is really good news
did you have any side effects like feeling drunk or blurry vision?

What exactly is that??
A serotonin/norepenephrine reuptake inhibitor, a class of drugs commonly prescribed for depression, anxiety, and any other worthless label some doctor feels like applying to run-of-the-mill day to day problems which probably don't need to be drugged away in the first place.

200mg after breakfast and 200mg after dinner.
regitabine should be taken 3 times a day so you flood your system consistently. So usualy you start with 3 times 100 mg and slowly work your way up. The paper in your box should say not to increase more than 150mg a day - per week ... so after the first week you should take 3 time 150 a day ... and so on .. some say you can go faster and maybe you can try - but I don`t want to advice anything more than what is stated by the company ... anything else is your responsibility and intelligence.

also I would take it 30 minutes before breakfast. than leave 6 hours and another 6 hours ...

when you mix the pills with your food the effect is much less. it takes around 20 minutes for them to start affecting you.

read the leaflet in the box .. it has all the info and you should follow it as best as you can.

Ive already decided to try trobalt.. My mom mother went to mexicali a city in mexico but they never heard of it.. Does anyine know if it isnt available in mexico ot do i have to order it from europe??

I dont know about Mexico, I have a cousin who owns a pharmacy in Sonora, Mexico.
Its Trobalt, are there other names for the med. I need all the names and dosages.
Ill inquire. Other wise try more pharmacies in Tijuana.

Dont we have some members in spain that i could pay for sending me a box or two? I'm serious. Starting to lose sanity and if i cant bet rtg that way i might as well hitchike to spain from poland........i have way too many sounds in my head because of acoustic truma and ototoxic meds. I'm willing to pay extra for someones effort.

I can not import trobalt anymore i have only 6 pills.
Nazis closed the banks i have cash money but i can not send them by bank or cc or paypal

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now