Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...s-on-uncontrolled-seizures.13401/#post-163650

Concerning neuroprotection, agmatine's effects are thought to involve modulation of receptors (NMDA, alpha 2, and imidazoline) and ion channels (ATP sensitive potassium channels and voltage-gated calcium channels) as well as blocking nitric oxide synthesis. Agmatine blocks nitric oxide synthesis by reducing the nitric oxide synthase -2 (NOS-2) protein in astroglial cells and macrophages. With respect to agmatine's benefit in psychiatric disorders, it is suggested that the mechanism involves neurotransmitter receptor modulation of the NMDA, alpha-2, serotonin, opioid, and imidazoline receptors. Specifically when agmatine binds to the imidazoline and alpha 2 receptors, it acts as a neurotransmitter and releases catecholamines from the adrenal gland.

As an experimental drug, agmatine is being studied for several indications such as cardioprotection, diabetes, decreased kidney function, neuroprotection (stroke, severe CNS injuries, epilepsy, glaucoma, and neuropathic pain), and psychiatric conditions (depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, and cognition). The exact mechanism of action is still being investigated for all of the potential indications of agmatine.

http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB08838

Hm...So Agmatine works on the potassium channels and NDMA receptors as well as calcium channels.

just an internet scoop. Avoid this drug. The "big golden bullet drug" based on the retigabine, the aut0063 have failed at 1° phase of the trial.
Trobalt and aut0063 are completely different drugs and affect completely different parts *the same channels different parts*. I think you need to know that Joan. No one has made a trial in humans with trobalt for tinnitus (yes for epilepsy no for tinnitus). SF00034 would be the equivalent to aut0063 and it has not gone to phase 1 nor phase 2.

The smart scientists of the University of Pitsburg are probably closing in for a durable solution for our T-hell (based on mechanism of Retigabine):

http://www.audres.pitt.edu/news-events/

Especially the findings under 'september 2015' about the balance between KCNQ2/3 and HCN Channels are very interesting.

Go Dr. Tzounopoulos go....
I hate to say it, but that entire section is about preventing the development of tinnitus, not getting rid of it once it has developed. So, even if they are completely right, they are years away from market -- and there's also not really any reason to assume that these drugs would be effective on existing tinnitus once it's developed. That is, they might be, but there isn't any speculation in this literature to that effect, and it does not appear to be an area of focus for that specific team.

Note that despite a large number of people trying Trobalt, only a couple people have reported a long-term reduction following discontinuation of the drug -- and one of the people who was most instrumental in evangelizing this forum about Trobalt, is back on it.

There's nothing new or shocking about drugs with GABA activity causing symptom suppression.

Yeah, at this point Trobalt definitely gives me relief , but its short lived and not really worth the stupidity.
I seriously doubt that it will have lasting effects as I have been taking this for about 2 months now and still need to take it ...so ... I am just about to quit this experiment , I think.

Dear @papu @snow86 @Aaron123 and others suffers,

i didn't want hurt anyone.

my opinion was based on various factors;

when 2 years ago the retigabine "exploded" on internet i was one of the first to try it with partial relief,that disappear after 2 months continuating the protocol suggested by @benryu with a lot of problems about the side effects. But the point is not this. As you know, the community have the purpose to find a way to cure or obtain relief also sharing experiences to give support and hope to others suffers.
The single user to got a full healing was the author of this thread and i don't doubt of his good faith but there are some facts; @Mpt is a single and a less than 1 year suffer, so not chronic as others, then mine and should be even your (for the good of your health) "the benefit of the doubt" about the efficacy in absence of scientific evidences.

There aren't opened or closed trials. The clinical trials have the purpose to discernment beteween what is real and what is not. It's not casuality that a trial is controlled and double blind with placebo drugs. During my long experiences with drugs, i always have seen the same situation with the mentioned drugs, like gabapentin, tegretol ect.... sò my words "the internet scoop" that not had the goal of discriminate anyone. Just vent expecially because i did't understand the bitterness of scientists to not give a chance to retigabine and not only, but even the campral (acamprosate) that in literature show something of OFFICIAL by the year 2007!!!.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22345878

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16612523

and more others; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=campral+tinnitus

For example look here; there is an user that using another antiseizure (lamotrigine) told that find relief in half and hour but no one put itself on lamotrigine! Why??? ;)

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/try-this-medication-for-tinnitus-—-lamotrigine-epitec.8846/

About Autifony and Scifluor, yes you are right, they sound promising, but unfortunately for us, those drugs seems to in development for preventing the tinnitus from loud noise and not cure or at least not for chronic suffers. Look at this big research thanks to @attheedgeofscience

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eurological-disorders.7743/page-2#post-120020

About the discussion "autifony failed at second and not first"... honestly i don't see any difference. Unfortunately for us.... it has been stopped and when i got the email of tt forun i want die.

After a lot of sufferences and disappointments i continue to hope (even with my cervical spine cancer) but this time with the foots on the earth, and i show my point of view. Only this. Remember that we are the hens that laid the golden eggs for the big pharma and scammers.
In addition i attach my plan of treatments that was suggested by @benryu 2 years ago.

1.png

peace and love

Joan

I hate to say it, but that entire section is about preventing the development of tinnitus, not getting rid of it once it has developed. So, even if they are completely right, they are years away from market -- and there's also not really any reason to assume that these drugs would be effective on existing tinnitus once it's developed. That is, they might be, but there isn't any speculation in this literature to that effect, and it does not appear to be an area of focus for that specific team.

I would not bother to use a relative safe medicine with lasting relief for T my whole life. The fact that scientists are cautious about making big statements lays probably in their expectation that chronic T is plasticized in the brain. Despite the theory of plasticity it is a longtime known fact that Lidocaine can reduce T in chronic cases.

The difficulty in developing effective medicine lays in deciphering the mechanism that causes T. The findings that Lidocaine can suppress but also induce T, that Maxipost (opening Kv7.2-7.5) and its opposite R-maxipost (blocking Kv7.2-7.5) both can suppress T despite of their opposite mechanism of action, and finally Retigabine that temporary works for some people and does not work for others is a clue that the root cause for T is not a simple equation of neurons opening and closing.

Scientists know this and are cautious in making big statements. It will probably be a long journey for all of us, but where there is a will there is, and always will be, a way!

Hope is bigger than never !
For trobalt, we have on this forum some persons who have permanent relief and they live better now (Mpt, Philemon, Papu, Locoyeti, Hazar, Juan Carlos, Preslys...) Lot of persons (86% I think) had temporary or permanent relief. That's not the solution, but potassium channel opener is one of the good solution to find something... Some persons used trobalt without give their final feedback, I imagine they had good relief otherwise they should put a bad and hopeless message like Joan did...

I'm 4 months in, I have to try my chance now...

I would not bother to use a relative safe medicine with lasting relief for T my whole life. The fact that scientists are cautious about making big statements lays probably in their expectation that chronic T is plasticized in the brain. Despite the theory of plasticity it is a longtime known fact that Lidocaine can reduce T in chronic cases.
Well, if we get a relatively safe medicine, then we'll be a big step ahead of where we are now... at the moment it seems like the best bets are benzos and RTG, neither of which can really reasonably be called safe for long-term use.

But, I don't think the Lidocaine observation is a contradiction at all; in fact, I'd go as far as saying that the fact that Lidocaine can suppress T supports the theory that one driver of T is the over-expression of sensory data in the DCN following a loss of audio data:

Work is underway right now to try to harness this mechanism in the other direction :)

Hey guys, someone have tried Trobalt + Benzos?

I have done that right now and had to go to sleep, then I wake up with 10-20% T reduction. (Just 1 case)

Hey guys. Before I forget later to write.

My T was on a 10/10 today this morning. It seems now that it depends on one tone joining in. Normally it is around 15-18 kHz. But once another 10-12 kHz tone joins in, it becomes really, really bad. Because they are all loud. I have that the past days. Could no longer stand it.

So I decided taking 200 mg Trobalt on empty stomach and taking a long shower for additional residual inhibition. Trobalt kicked in after 15 minutes since I became dizzy. Afterwards T went down. The additional tone is gone completely. The 15-18 kHz tone is lower, maybe a 2/10 or 3/10.

I need to say that on Tuesday, taking a Trobalt had no effect. My opinion is that the stuff works somehow and reduces overactivity of the neurons. If you have T which is not that loud, you could get silence (at least for one or two hours). If you have loud T, it can be lowered. Lets hope, SF0034 will come one day.

Now sitting on my balcony listening to the birds - until my complete orchestra in all its glory comes back. (n)

Update: After around two hours, the volume increases again.

Hey guys. Before I forget later to write.

My T was on a 10/10 today this morning. It seems now that it depends on one tone joining in. Normally it is around 15-18 kHz. But once another 10-12 kHz tone joins in, it becomes really, really bad. Because they are all loud. I have that the past days. Could no longer stand it.

So I decided taking 200 mg Trobalt on empty stomach and taking a long shower for additional residual inhibition. Trobalt kicked in after 15 minutes since I became dizzy. Afterwards T went down. The additional tone is gone completely. The 15-18 kHz tone is lower, maybe a 2/10 or 3/10.

I need to say that on Tuesday, taking a Trobalt had no effect. My opinion is that the stuff works somehow and reduces overactivity of the neurons. If you have T which is not that loud, you could get silence (at least for one or two hours). If you have loud T, it can be lowered. Lets hope, SF0034 will come one day.

Now sitting on my balcony listening to the birds - until my complete orchestra in all its glory comes back. (n)

Update: After around two hours, the volume increases again.[/QUOTE

@Martin69 Hey martin Glad your getting some temporary relief
I'm still sticking to my Benzo's for now but am considering trobalt ..... anyways sooner or later I believe that there will be Meds to help quite down this beast we call T.

@Carlos1
Hey Carlos.

I hope you are ok.

There is definitely a difference between T which is at least sometimes covered by daily sounds and T which is loud and audible even in the shower and anxiety is through the roof. You can handle it for some days, but sometimes you need relief to breathe for some hours. So if a benzo or Trobalt helps and safes the day, we must take it. Everyone would like taking it daily, but of course this is no option. On the long run, taking too much of this stuff will make us much worse.

Honestly I am really wondering that pharma does not invest more money and research. Bringing back silence sweet silence would bring you billions.

Guys I need urgent recommendations:

Hace you experience eye-arteries-innervations on trobalt? I have my right eye with a few of innervations and I experience some itching =(

Did you try other drugs with trobalt ? alcool ? did you make some physical test before using trobalt (eyes, blood, urinary, heart,... ) ?

No other drugs, just some natural supplements (which I used several weeks before with no problems.). Blood and urinary test all okay, heart checked 2 years ago and all okay.

I'm not kidding guys.

I know it's a little personal, but I used to wake up with a raging boner.

Now even during intercourse it doesn't stay hard for very long time.

My libido is not affected because I still want to have sex as much as I used to, it's just that my penis suddenly doesn't want it as much as me and my wife.

For a 27 year old newlywed, it is kind of scaring me.

Anyone had this problem did it resolve eventually?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now